X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theMathematician
    Legend
    • 31 May 2018

Originally posted by clh_hilary
    All they want is their privacy, which they can best and only obtain by having publicity stunts?
    I kind of have to agree here. In the end, Meghan knew which family she'd marry into, so her acting shocked at all the attention she's received (as an actress who used to be in the public eye before) doesn't really sound authentic. Additionally, they wanted to have their big marriage paid by the people's taxes as well, so if they wanted to have a 'private' life, wouldn't the marriage have been a better place to start?

Harry won't ever become King, so it's fully OK for him to decide that way. It only comes across as phony the way he does it.

Comment

• BeeBoy
      Superstar
      • 25 Dec 2008

acting shocked at all the attention she's received
      That's clearly missing the point

And I guess back then when they married they never had plans like this. How could they have known what the press and GP was about to do
      aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

• spiritboy
        Legend
        • 11 Jan 2004

Harry has been haunted by press since his birth and his mom died in a car crash caused by chasing paparazzi, if he doesn't know what press will do, who will? Meghan also knew marrying into Royal Family is a huge deal and every move they make will be newsworthy. Press might treat them in an awful and unfair way but that's the price you pay when you are a celebrity.
        Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• IVyoncé
          Legend
          • 18 May 2009

Press might treat them in an awful and unfair way but that's the price you pay when you are a celebrity.
          But that doesn't make it right, I have literally seen British paparazzi almost push people in front of a driving taxi, just for a picture of someone walking from a venue to a bar for 500 metres, those people are mad CRAZY they do everything for a story of picture.

Comment

• spiritboy
            Legend
            • 11 Jan 2004

Originally posted by IVyoncé
            But that doesn't make it right, I have literally seen British paparazzi almost push people in front of a driving taxi, just for a picture of someone walking from a venue to a bar for 500 metres, those people are mad CRAZY they do everything for a story of picture.
            It's the same in US, remember how they treated Britney Spears. I don't say it's right or okay to treat celebs like that but it is what it is.
            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

• clh_hilary
              Superstar
              • 08 Sep 2009

Originally posted by theMathematician
              I kind of have to agree here. In the end, Meghan knew which family she'd marry into, so her acting shocked at all the attention she's received (as an actress who used to be in the public eye before) doesn't really sound authentic. Additionally, they wanted to have their big marriage paid by the people's taxes as well, so if they wanted to have a 'private' life, wouldn't the marriage have been a better place to start?

Harry won't ever become King, so it's fully OK for him to decide that way. It only comes across as phony the way he does it.
              I have no problem with whatever they choose, really.

To me, there are 2 issues:

1. they claim to want to be out of the public eye, but is doing anything but;
              2. His Royal Highness was born to an incredible level of privilege with the expectation that he will serve his country. Now, of course, he didn't choose to be born into the royal family, but if he's giving up his duties, why should he continue making money as a "royal" (as in their brand, Sussex Royal)?

If I want to step back and not be on the press any more, I would stay quiet, go away, and let time do its thing, because that's what works. Azealia Banks still gets talked about despite not having any hits because she's also doing things that attract attention, while someone like Dido fades away due to her private nature despite selling some tens of millions of albums worldwide.
              Originally posted by WhatTheHell
              Voice of the truth here!!

Comment

• Colbie
                • 09 Sep 2014

This. Plus having their house renovated for millions, which theyre not gonna use much now anyways

Comment

• LittleLinda
                  Superstar
                  • 25 Sep 2008

Originally posted by spiritboy
                  It's the same in US, remember how they treated Britney Spears. I don't say it's right or okay to treat celebs like that but it is what it is.
                  Maybe it “is what it is”, but it comes in varying degrees and it is perfectly normal to either underestimate it (as in “I expected it, but I didn’t expect it to be THIS bad!”), or to simply get worn out over time (as in “I expected it and put up with it for as long as I could, but I can’t take it anymore”).
                  Which is why I find the whole “celebs signed up for this” argument not very convincing. I know it’s not easy to feel sorry for a bunch of millionaires, but the hardships of celeb life are really difficult for most people to fully grasp, unless you’ve experienced it first hand. People think they know, but the truth is most have no idea how it REALLY feels. There’s a reason why so many wind up mentally ill.

That’s why I feel, if Harry and Meghan want to tone it down: By all means, go ahead. And of course people will complain that they are going about it the wrong way. And of course people will blame Meghan - she’s been the go-to scapegoat for a while now. But you do you, folks. Can’t win for losing anyway.

Comment

• Hejira
                    Manager
                    • 15 Jun 2019

Originally posted by LittleLinda
                    Maybe it “is what it is”, but it comes in varying degrees and it is perfectly normal to either underestimate it (as in “I expected it, but I didn’t expect it to be THIS bad!”), or to simply get worn out over time (as in “I expected it and put up with it for as long as I could, but I can’t take it anymore”).
                    Which is why I find the whole “celebs signed up for this” argument not very convincing. I know it’s not easy to feel sorry for a bunch of millionaires, but the hardships of celeb life are really difficult for most people to fully grasp, unless you’ve experienced it first hand. People think they know, but the truth is most have no idea how it REALLY feels. There’s a reason why so many wind up mentally ill.

That’s why I feel, if Harry and Meghan want to tone it down: By all means, go ahead. And of course people will complain that they are going about it the wrong way. And of course people will blame Meghan - she’s been the go-to scapegoat for a while now. But you do you, folks. Can’t win for losing anyway.
                    And especially when born into it. I mean literally everyone knows the royal family...to be born in to that with basically no choice but to accept that fate is so old fashioned and borderline abusive.
                    The whole "You're famous, you have to accept the sh*t" is something I do not buy. You can be famous and choose not to accept the disgusting things media will force on you.

Comment

• theMathematician
                      Legend
                      • 31 May 2018

Originally posted by Hejira
                      I mean literally everyone knows the royal family...to be born in to that with basically no choice but to accept that fate is so old fashioned and borderline abusive.
                      Lets say it is a challenge, though it works like this in many families. It happens in celebrity (e.g. the Smith family or the Kardashian family) and non-celebrity-families. An example for the latter: How many children take over their parents' companies by the time they retire because that's what is expected from them?
                      But there's a positive thing: You'll have plenty of time to grow into your role. Elisabeth II got Queen of the Commonwealth in her 20s shortly after WWII and accepted this as her life task - something I still consider very brave to today. Charles and William had decades for this and Harry, as mentioned before, is just a side character in this whole story.

Regarding the media: Paparazzi are the worst - truly wild animals. Imo, the only way to stop them from crossing the line is to report them to the police and to say 'Stop!' or 'No!' in a resolute way.

Comment

• RayRay
                        Legend
                        • 13 Nov 2011

Meghan did say she thought she knew what she was letting herself into being an actress and used to paparazzi.
                        But she said she didn't know the royal family was treated so differently compared to famous actors.
                        Mariah - Madonna - Debbie Gibson - Céline Dion - Lara Fabian - Linda Eder - Janet Jackson - Whitney Houston

Comment

• clh_hilary
                          Superstar
                          • 08 Sep 2009

Originally posted by RayRay
                          Meghan did say she thought she knew what she was letting herself into being an actress and used to paparazzi.
                          But she said she didn't know the royal family was treated so differently compared to famous actors.
                          She was best known as a supporting character of a TV series that peaked at some 4 million in viewership and tumbled to below 2 million after just the initial seasons, I don't think she can really say the royal family was treated very differently compared to famous actors. She was not Madonna or Angelina Jolie.

If anything, the press is treating the royals with more of a respect already. You don't see them looking through their trash or posting everything they do, if only because they usually live in big places that make it difficult to peek into.

But everyone should know that when you stop someone from doing something, you're only going to make them want to do it more. Fighting the press and now making obviously controversial moves cannot possibly be said to be wise moves, if the goal is to, indeed, make the press forget about them.
                          Originally posted by WhatTheHell
                          Voice of the truth here!!

Comment

• SpyVsSpy
                            Superstar
                            • 16 Feb 2008

She’s an example of someone who flew too close to the sun

Comment

• Toxic
                              Manager
                              • 13 May 2005

I’m happy for them and I hope it works out well for everyone in the end. The media have been absolutely terrible towards her since they got together the way she’s been treated compared to Kate too absolutely shocking.

Comment

• RayRay
                                Legend
                                • 13 Nov 2011

For those who really think Meghan is treated fairly by the UK media... read this. Kate can do no wrong, while Meghan can never get it right.

Mariah - Madonna - Debbie Gibson - Céline Dion - Lara Fabian - Linda Eder - Janet Jackson - Whitney Houston

Comment

• theMathematician
                                  Legend
                                  • 31 May 2018

It's neither Meghan's nor Harry's fault for getting treated this way, though I believe that Harry must've at least considered a backlash possible for dating a divorced and American actress with mixed ethnic background - that's morally a non-issue but stretching the Royals' conservative view of life.

Comment

• LittleLinda
                                    Superstar
                                    • 25 Sep 2008

It's neither Meghan's nor Harry's fault for getting treated this way, though I believe that Harry must've at least considered a backlash possible for dating a divorced and American actress with mixed ethnic background - that's morally a non-issue but stretching the Royals' conservative view of life.
                                    How does that matter, though? Unwarranted backlash is still unwarranted backlash - even if you saw it coming.
                                    While I’m sure some people believe he deliberately married her to be provocative, I prefer to say he simply didn’t let the Royals’ conservative view of life dictate who he should love and marry.

Comment

• SpyVsSpy
                                      Superstar
                                      • 16 Feb 2008

Originally posted by RayRay
                                      For those who really think Meghan is treated fairly by the UK media... read this. Kate can do no wrong, while Meghan can never get it right.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...tandards-royal
                                      There have been numerous positive or supportive stories and news about meghan too. Let’s not ignore those. And kate did not always attract positive headlines, along with her family

Comment

• vespertine
                                        • 16 Jan 2020

What's Emma Thompson got to say about all this?

Comment

• KEY9481
                                          Legend
                                          • 11 Aug 2014

Harry, Meghan to quit royal jobs, give up ‘highness’ titles

LONDON (AP) — G oodbye, your royal highnesses. Hello, life as — almost — ordinary civilians.

Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, are quitting as working royals and will no longer use the titles “royal highness” or receive public funds for their work under a deal announced Saturday by Buckingham Palace.

Releasing details of the dramatic split, triggered by the couple’s unhappiness with life under media scrutiny in the royal fishbowl, t he palace said Harry and Meghan will cease to be working members of the royal family when the new arrangements take effect within months, in the “spring of 2020.”

The couple will no longer use the titles His Royal Highness and Her Royal Highness, but they are not being stripped of them.

They will be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. Harry will remain a prince and sixth in line to the British throne.

The agreement also calls for Meghan and Harry to repay 2.4 million pounds ($3.1 million) in taxpayers’ money that was spent renovating their home near Windsor Castle, Frogmore Cottage.

The couple’s departure is a wrench for the royal family, but Queen Elizabeth II had warm words for them in a statement Saturday.

The queen said she was pleased that “together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family.”

“I recognize the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life,” Elizabeth said.

“It is my whole family’s hope that today’s agreement allows them to start building a happy and peaceful new life,” she added.

The announcement came after days of talks among royal courtiers sparked by Meghan and Harry’s announcement last week that they wanted to step down as senior royals and live part-time in Canada

The details of the deal solidify the couple’s dramatic break from life as working royals. Army veteran Harry will have to give up the military appointments he has as a senior royal.

While he and Meghan will no longer represent the queen, the palace said they would “continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty” while carrying out their private charitable work.

Buckingham Palace did not disclose who will pay for the couple’s security going forward. It currently is taxpayer-funded.

“There are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly funded security,” it said.
                                          https://apnews.com/5bfcbf944904be1ce...ign=SocialFlow
                                          5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Working...