The Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment scandal

Oscars will be interesting to watch this year. This is a touchy subject and i'm curious abouthow will they address this issue.
    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy
      Oscars will be interesting to watch this year. This is a touchy subject and i'm curious abouthow will they address this issue.
      they won'T because they all worship Roman Polanski and Woody Allen
      My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy
        Originally posted by spiritboy
        they won'T because they all worship Roman Polanski and Woody Allen
        Of course they will.

Comment

The Woody/Roman thing annoys me because the same people who work with those two will jump on "James Franco is a creep", yea Scarlett Johanssen, I'm looking at you, Ms. muse of Woody Allen.
          My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesper
            she should seek some help.
            Originally posted by SummerPeur
            Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
            Originally posted by Goldmoney
            So does her microphone

Comment

According to some reports just coming out, looks like he's going to be charged tomorrow in the US.

Let's see if this is right.

Comment

I've read about that as well. Apparently he's gonna turn himself in.
                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

He's charged with rape.

Hope this is the 1st of many.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44257202

Comment

Let him rot.
                    ? Girls' Generation ?
                    ? HyoYeon ? Britney Spears ?

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.

Comment

• Re: The Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment scandal

i feel sorry for his brother... (and his wife).

i hope he gets convicted. #lockhimup
                      My Chart

Comment

• Re: The Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment scandal

Glad he surrendered, hope he is now punished accordingly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne
                          Glad he surrendered, hope he is now punished accordingly.
                          He’s gonna tie this up for years in court cases.
                          M08T10

Comment

• ... and so his fight back commences.

Harvey Weinstein seeks to dismiss case based on accuser's emails

Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein is seeking to get the criminal case against him thrown out of court.

On Friday, his lawyers filed a defence motion citing dozens of "warm" emails they say Mr Weinstein received from one of his accusers after an alleged rape.

His team argue prosecutors should have shared the evidence with the Grand Jury that indicted him.

Mr Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to six charges involving three different women.

The accuser in question has retained her anonymity.

Mr Weinstein's lawyers say the case should be dismissed in its pre-trial stage, saying there had been a series of failings.

Other objections included a lack of details on the timeline of an alleged assault in 2004, and the lack of advance warning from the District Attorney's office about the presentation of more serious charges.

In their motion, they included "dozens of emails written by the anonymous accuser, who sent extensive warm, complimentary and solicitous messages to Mr Weinstein immediately following the now claimed event and over the next four-year period.

"These communications irrefutably reflect the true nature of this consensual intimate friendship, which never at any time included a forcible rape."

The New York District Attorney's Office has not yet commented.

What did the woman write?

The 159-page motion presents details from more than 400 emails between Mr Weinstein and the accuser, sent between April 2013 and February 2017, the lawyers say.

The alleged rape took place on 18 March 2013. The woman alleges Mr Weinstein trapped her in a New York City hotel room and forced himself on her.

His defence says the emails continued after this date. "I hope to see you sooner rather than later," she wrote on 11 April 2013, followed by "I appreciate all you do for me", sent the next day.

"I love you, always do," she wrote on February 8, 2017. "But I hate feeling like a booty call. "

A footnote in the lawyers' document reads: "This [motion] is not to ignore that rape can occur in relationships such as an abusive marriage or where the parties have been dating each other for a time."

The woman has not released a statement.

Where did these emails come from?

After Mr Weinstein was fired by his company last year, the emails were turned over to his legal team, according to the LA Times.

The judge dealing with his separate bankruptcy case issued an order saying the private messages could not be released, because the accuser could lose her right to anonymity.

On Thursday, that same judge conceded the correspondence could be used in Mr Weinstein's motion against the criminal case, as long as the woman's identity was protected.

What are the cases against him?

In 2017, dozens of women - including many famous actresses - came forward with allegations, ranging from rape to sexual harassment. They sparked a solidarity movement known as #MeToo.

The allegations of three of the women underpin the criminal case: former actress Lucia Evans, former production assistant Mimi Haleyi and the anonymous accuser.

One of the charges against him - predatory sexual assault - carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.

Mr Weinstein has consistently denied any non-consensual sex. He is currently on a $1m (£770,000) bail bond and wears an electronic tag.

He also faces a raft of civil lawsuits.

In April, actress Ashley Judd sued him, claiming he damaged her career after she rejected his sexual advances. Mr Weinstein has denied the allegations.

London's Metropolitan Police have also been investigating claims against him, some of which date back to the 1980s.

Unlike in the US, there is no statute of limitation on sexual abuse cases in the UK, meaning incidents from decades ago could still go to court.
                            M08T10

Comment

• 5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• So does that mean the anonymous accuser is Jessica Mann? Were they allowed to reveal that?
                                The allegations of three of the women underpin the criminal case: former actress Lucia Evans, former production assistant Mimi Haleyi and the anonymous accuser.

Comment

• I am PISSED he was not found guilty of predatory sexual assault.
                                  To me, that was the whole point.
                                  Of course he was going to be convincted for rape, I mean duh.
                                  5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Well, he isn't the youngest anymore at 68 and his sentence can theoretically range from 5 - 25 years, so he could still potentially spend the rest of his life behind bars. I doubt it, though.

Comment

• He's clearly done some legal and moral injustice, but then again, I'm not sure whether it's really helpful to have old people in jail. I mean, the man is obviously not in his best physical conditions, so I'd be mild to him in the context of a prison punishment and once that one's over, he better spent the rest of his life in assisted living.
                                      Don't need hindsight
                                      I'll make my emotions clear
                                      And then disappear
                                      With one strike
                                      (All Saints)

Comment

• Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post
                                        Well, he isn't the youngest anymore at 68 and his sentence can theoretically range from 5 - 25 years, so he could still potentially spend the rest of his life behind bars. I doubt it, though.
                                        Oh it's definitely not about prison sentence but about justice consideration.
                                        5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

• Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post

Oh it's definitely not about prison sentence but about justice consideration.
                                          If there wasn't enough evidence to convict him of predatory sexual assault, then justice has been served, whether one believes otherwise or not.

@ theMathematician: I don't understand that kind of mindset. Neither logically, nor how that is supposed to work in practice. It would open the floodgates for unfair treatment... how would you even define what is a qualifying "bad physical condition"? Pain and suffering is highly subjective. As are the effects of old age.
                                          You remind me a little bit of my grandma, who would (jokingly) say "they wouldn't put an old lady like me in prison"... just because you are old and/or sick, doesn't mean you no longer have to take responsibility for your wrongdoings.

Comment

• Harvey Weinstein sentenced to 23 years in prison in landmark #MeToo case

Harvey Weinstein, who was convicted of rape in a landmark #MeToo trial, was sentenced to 23 years in prison Wednesday after the once-powerful Hollywood mogul remained defiant during sentencing.

A jury convicted Weinstein last month of third-degree rape of Jessica Mann, a former aspiring actress, and a count of criminal sexual act in the first degree against Mimi Haley, a former "Project Runway" production assistant.

Haley said ahead of the sentencing that Weinstein's assault scarred her deeply, mentally and emotionally, and "crushed a part of her spirit." She said if he were not convicted she believed he would victimize women "again and again and again."

Haley said she hoped the sentencing was long enough for Weinstein to acknowledge "what he's done and to be truly sorry."

Mann said Weinstein "used his power over the powerless" and her experience was "a recurring nightmare." She asked for him to receive the maximum sentence, calling it accountability for Weinstein.

"I'm not here to give any more power over to the man who stole my body," she said.

Lead prosecutor Joan Illuzzi also asked for a maximum or near maximum sentence on Wednesday, saying Weinstein "would never have been stopped from hurting more lives."

"He has been using and abusing people his whole life," she said.

Weinstein spoke ahead of his sentencing and addressed his role in the #MeToo movement, saying he believed "thousands of men are losing due process" and he was worried about the country.

He said he had "no great powers" in the industry and couldn't "blackball anyone." He said he believed he had legitimate relationships with his accusers.

Weinstein, 67, faced a minimum of five years in prison and a maximum of 25 years on the criminal sexual act count. The third-degree rape count carried a maximum penalty of four years behind bars. Judges often run sentences concurrently, which means a defendant can serve out both sentences at the same time.

The former film industry titan has denied all allegations of nonconsensual sex and pleaded not guilty in the New York case. His lawyers have said they will appeal the conviction.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_tw_ma

Comment

• Byeeee

Comment

• Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

• Fab news. Trump next please.
                                                  THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

Working...
                                                  X