X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thriller
    Administrator
    • 13 Dec 2003

The Fall's Mark E Smith has died

The Fall's frontman Mark E Smith has died today at the age of 60, according to reports.

The sad news was announced by a fan account for the band, which carried a statement attributed to The Fall's manager Pam Van-Damned.

"The day I've been dreading. 'It is with deep regret that we announce the passing of Mark E. Smith. He passed this morning at home," the tweet read.

"A more detailed statement will follow in the next few days. In the meantime, Pam & Mark’s family request privacy at this sad time." 2/2 Pam Van Damned The Fall - manager."

The Fall's record label Cherry Red confirmed the news.
    I don't know their music but they had 16 top 75 hits between 1986 and 2004 without ever peaking higher than #30 and released 32 studio albums!
  • Blondini
    Site Supporter
    • 01 Nov 2005

Top trending. A first - sadly.

Go to the 1988 / 87 Retro threads - golden period stuff including a song you can vote for.

Links:

Their best and probably biggest (time of year + weeks on chart) original song - think Happy Mondays.
    [youtube:19jhwntu]v5zav2yrC7M[/youtube:19jhwntu]

Their biggest actual single, cover of R Dean Taylor's 60's hit.
    There's A Ghost In My House.

The other hit cover, of The Kinks - almost as big as the original and charting 30 years ago this coming weekend - in our Retro Charts.
    Victoria.

Not a single but this affecting ballad made #1 on the listener voted John Peel's Festive 50 in 1990. They were Peel's fave band and played sessions on his show more than any other artist. They did a video for BBC2 show SnubTV.
    Bill Is Dead.

Another of their catchiest poppiest songs is this non-album single High Tension Line.

Another great 60s cover from NME's Ruby Trax album (same one that had Manics' MASH theme).
    Legend Of Xanadu.

And finally the fantastic Prodigy-esque track Mark E Smith did with D.O.S.E. - much better than the Inspiral Carpets team-up.
    Plug Myself In.

Comment

• heppolo
      Legend
      • 17 May 2009

Very sad news.
      [youtube:1wghoh9m]LctPleLOgqk[/youtube:1wghoh9m]
      Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• navi
        Legend
        • 14 Aug 2013

[youtube:28qoezv1]yFCOt6wbm80[/youtube:28qoezv1]

Comment

• navi
          Legend
          • 14 Aug 2013

A song Mark wrote, so thrilled with the concert (at which I was present - 1990) and my hometown

[youtube:1nziqpgy]Dacb1kDxIsk[/youtube:1nziqpgy]

Comment

• heppolo
            Legend
            • 17 May 2009

Re: The Fall's Mark E Smith has died

^One of my faves as well, Mark E Smith was one of the truest rebels at heart
            Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

• Nippian93
              Legend
              • 11 Jan 2016

R.I.P.[*]

Comment

• trebor
                • 01 Aug 2014

Thanks for sharing background info and music
                Another artist gone way too soon. It saddens me to see talent taken from us when they are barely 60.
                R.I.P., Mark!

Comment

• trebor
                  • 01 Aug 2014

The Fall's Mark E. Smith Fought 'Hard Battle' With Lung and Kidney Cancer
                  © 2018 Billboard. All Rights Reserved | By Lars Brandle | February 14, 2018 4:29 AM EST

Mark E. Smith died after a “long and hard battle” with terminal lung and kidney cancer, his sisters confirmed in a message posted to The Fall’s website.

Smith, frontman for the seminal British post-punk act, passed away Jan. 24 at the age of 60, but until now the reasons for his death were unclear.

The rocker lived his final months as he did the rest of his life: pulling no punches. “Mark fought a long and hard battle after his diagnosis of terminal lung and kidney cancer,” Barbara, Suzanne and Caroline wrote. “He took every treatment going, which could be brutal at times and left Mark with some horrible side effects. Mark was such a strong man and hated letting his fans down and tried to carry on regardless against all advice.”

The bereaved sisters thanked family, friends and fans for their "kind words, condolences and memories" and paid tribute to "the NHS (National Health Service) and staff who treated Mark throughout and Mark's partner Pam who loved, cared and cherished our brother".

Founded in 1976 with guitarist Martin Bramah, bassist Tony Friel, and keyboardist Uma Baines, Smith was the only constant in an always-evolving lineup that collected 11 Top 40 albums in the U.K. and three Top 40 hits, including “There's a Ghost in My House" and “Victoria.” But the Fall’s influence wasn’t measured by chart success.

A favorite of the late BBC Radio 1 DJ John Peel, the Fall was adored by the likes of Billy Bragg, The Charlatans and Oasis, many of whom remembered Smith as a difficult genius. “A true uncompromising musical maverick. A genius, a curmudgeon and someone whose company it was an honour to share,” recalled the Charlatans’ Tim Burgess.

Mark had a "great life and loved and lived it to the full and always by his own rules and we, as his sisters were privileged to be part of it too,” his sisters wrote this week. “Mark is at peace now and pain free, but we, his three sisters have been left heartbroken and will miss our big brother very much.”

Comment

Working...