Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbara Windsor diagnosed with Alzheimer's

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44062921

The actress Dame Barbara Windsor has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, her husband has said.

Speaking to the Sun, Scott Mitchell said his 80-year-old wife had been given the news in April 2014.

He said the EastEnders star had been taking medication to manage her condition but that symptoms had worsened in recent weeks.

The veteran of film and TV was made an MBE in 2000 and a dame in 2015 for services to drama.

In a newspaper interview Mr Mitchell said: "Since her 80th birthday last August, a definite continual confusion has set in, so it's becoming a lot more difficult for us to hide.

Mr Mitchell said his wife was aware that he was making her diagnosis public.

"She often asks me, 'Do the public know that I'm not well?' And she asked me again this morning," he said.

"I said they didn't yet, but we were going to have to let them know because so many people are talking now. But if she forgets that she gave me her blessing, well, I'll just have to deal with that."

Mr Mitchell said he noticed his wife found it difficult to learn her lines in 2009, just before she left EastEnders for the first time, but they didn't think anything of it.

By early 2012, she had started repeating certain sentences and stories, he said.

Following a series of mental agility tests and a brain scan, he said, she was diagnosed.

He recalls that on hearing the news, his wife mouthed the words "I'm so sorry" to her husband.

"I squeezed her hand back and said, 'Don't worry, we'll be OK'", he told the newspaper.

This is sad news, when was the last time she was in Eastenders?

Comment

Re: Barbara Windsor diagnosed with Alzheimer's

Peggy was killed off in 2016

Comment

Originally posted by biscuits
        Peggy was killed off in 2016
        Right.

Comment

This is so sad, it’s such a cruel illness, but I believe a product of us living much longer than we were ever supposed to. I don’t think I remember many other famous names having Alzheimer’s
          1 SG Lewis |2 Miley Cyrus |3 Paul Woolford|4 NOTD |5 Zero 7

Comment

Originally posted by SholasBoy
            This is so sad, it’s such a cruel illness, but I believe a product of us living much longer than we were ever supposed to. I don’t think I remember many other famous names having Alzheimer’s
            It is a product of us living longer, but so is cancer - we will continue to fight and develop medicines that eventually will allow us to overcome them.

Anyway, poor Dame Babs. I did always think she’d have stayed at EE until the end, so something had to have gotten in the way: she loved the show that much,
            Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

It makes sense why she requested to be killed off now. She would have known that she couldn’t have come back later on so she got to act out her exit.

Very sad. She’s had such an eventful career which she may slowly begin to forget

Comment

who?
                BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                98 - OUT

Comment

Originally posted by aRat
                  who?
                  Try reading the article

Comment

who?
                    Try reading the article
                    sorry my attention span is only limited to the title and / or short shady comments with lots of emojis or gifs in them.
                    BEAUTY IS A MUST, TALENT IS A PLUS
                    98 - OUT

Comment

who?
                      Disrespectful.
                      ? i bloom just for you ?

Comment

who?

Completely unnecessary
                        1 SG Lewis |2 Miley Cyrus |3 Paul Woolford|4 NOTD |5 Zero 7

Comment

How sad, to think one day she may not remember her amazing career.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller

It’s such a sad disease. Prunella Scales has it I believe, and has forgotten most of her life and career.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Originally posted by menime123
                              Originally posted by Thriller

It’s such a sad disease. Prunella Scales has it I believe, and has forgotten most of her life and career.
                              Really sad to think Prunella has probably forgotten Fawlty Towers and how iconic the show was.

Comment

who?
                                Try reading the article
                                sorry my attention span is only limited to the title and / or short shady comments with lots of emojis or gifs in them.
                                And mine is limited to this: you clearly have no real interest in the topic, so rather than posting something disrespectful that is bound to annoy people, just stay the F out.

Really sad news for Babs, she’s known for being so full of life. An awful disease to suffer from, for both the person suffering and the family left behind that witnesses the decline in health.

Comment

An extremely talented woman, all of those years in the spotlight and think she’s the only one left from the Carry On films.

Comment

Originally posted by IDreamed
                                    An extremely talented woman, all of those years in the spotlight and think she’s the only one left from the Carry On films.

Jim Dale’s still around.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Tbh, I think the announcement means she’s probably in quite a bad way, especially if she got diagnosed years ago. I wouldn’t be too surprised if we get an even more unfortunate update this year.

So sad because Peggy was so strong and sound.

Comment

Apparently she’s failing to remember her husband is her husband.

#FreeBritney

Comment

She’s recently had heart surgery, as the Alzheimer’s medication was slowing down her heart rate. She’s apparently “recovering well” but she does now have a pacemaker fitted.

She is “unbreakable” as David Walliams recently posted.

Comment

Very sad news and I wish her all the best. It’s a horrid disease that really eats away st a person, and it’s heartbreaking, knowing how so full of life Babs is.

#FreeBritney

Comment

Originally posted by menime123
                                              Very sad news and I wish her all the best. It’s a horrid disease that really eats away st a person, and it’s heartbreaking, knowing how so full of life Babs is.
                                              Love you like a love song!

Comment

This is very sad - she has always been so full of life and love.

Dame Barbara Windsor moves to care home as Alzheimer's worsens

Dame Barbara Windsor has moved to a care home in London due to her advancing dementia.

Her husband Scott Mitchell told The Sun the former EastEnders star has been there since mid-July.

He said: "I feel I'm on an emotional rollercoaster. I walk around, trying to keep busy, then burst in to tears. It feels like a bereavement."

Dame Barbara, 82, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014 and her condition has worsened during lockdown.

Scott added: "It's always been my biggest fear, that one day I would have to take her somewhere and she'd be thinking, 'Why would he do this to me?'

"That fear has become a reality. It's something I never wanted."

Speaking about the day he left Dame Barbara at the home, Mitchell said: "I'll never forget the feeling of emptiness. I felt sick in the pit of my stomach that I'd left her. I still feel like that.

"By the time I got home and went to bed, I just felt desperately sad. It's been 27 years since we met and we spent so much of that time in each other's company. It feels like another chapter has gone."

The couple have been married for 20 years.

Scott said he had tried to make her room look homely with family and showbiz pictures, including one of the actress receiving her damehood from the Queen.

The veteran of film and TV was made an MBE in 2000 and a dame in 2015 for services to drama.

Dame Barbara appeared in nine Carry On films and played the pub landlord Peggy Mitchell in EastEnders.

The actress first appeared on stage at the age of 13 in a pantomime and was soon performing in the West End musical Love From Judy.

In 1964 she worked on her first Carry On film - Carry on Spying.

She was also in sitcoms including Dad's Army and One Foot in the Grave.

Both Dame Barbara and her husband have campaigned to raise awareness of dementia, which is most common in people over the age of 65.

Although the former Carry On star was diagnosed in 2014, the couple did not go public with the news until 2018 after her condition worsened.

Last year, Dame Barbara and her husband presented Prime Minister Boris Johnson with a petition, organised in collaboration with Alzheimer's Society, highlighting concerns over dementia care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53635317

Comment

Working...
                                                X