Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

acting as if Dionne doesn't have over 2 million monthly Spotify listeners... i can't [MENTION=35073]MrLeonix[/MENTION].

Unless you are now claiming that only those 20 females from the old-days were legends... then good riddance to everyone else.

2,044,169 - Dionne Warwick.
    My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
      acting as if Dionne doesn't have over 2 million monthly Spotify listeners... i can't @MrLeonix.

Unless you are now claiming that only those 20 females from the old-days were legends... then good riddance to everyone else.

2,044,169 - Dionne Warwick.
      I didn't say that Dionne didn't have 2 million listeners, neither I acted as if that wasn't the case. I just said she was not Top 20 among the females from those times which is a fact.

There are literally (AT LEAST) 20 more famale artists from those eras that are more known, listened and followed among the public. Dionne is not that dominating THESE DAYS as you were claiming, she did her thing and no one will take that away from her but we don't have to make her look bigger or more iconic than she actually is.
      Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

Funny ppl under 30 here claiming they don't know any Dionne Warwick song... as if ppl over 55 (which is the primary age group where Dionne's listeners mostly come from) would know any Beyonce songs lol lol
        Last edited by jio; Mon June 3rd, 2019, 23:32.
        jio CHARTS NOW:29/6/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post10423855

Comment

Which is fine if true but just shows that her way of seeing an icon is wrong.
          aRat's NUDES LEAKED

Comment

1st team (Legends)

Madonna
            Michael Jackson
            The Beatles
            Rolling Stones
            U2
            Elvis Presley

2nd team (almost legends)

Elton John
            Mariah Carey
            Whitney Houston
            Celine Dion
            Eminem
            Queen

3rd team (Global phenomenon)

Nirvana
            Guns n Roses
            Adele
            Rihanna
            Beyonce
            Lady Gaga
            Britney Spears

4th team (Local phenomenon)

Skakira
            Kylie Minogue
            Thalia
            Maluma
            Xuxa
            Julio Iglesias
            Last edited by MadonnaIcon; Tue June 4th, 2019, 00:38.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBoy View Post
              Which is fine if true but just shows that her way of seeing an icon is wrong.
              Exactly!

Comment

^^ What an ignorant post.
                Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

The truth hurts sis
                  Forever Young

Comment

For me it all starts and sums up to the 5 primary global music legends of contemporary music: Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Queen, ABBA and Michael Jackson.

then on a second tier you get the likes of: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Pink Floyd, Tina Turner and U2.
                    Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

Originally posted by MadonnaIcon View Post
                      1st team (Legends)

Madonna
                      Michael Jackson
                      The Beatles
                      Whitney Houston
                      Celine Dion
                      Rolling Stones
                      Mariah Carey
                      Elvis Presley

2nd team (almost legends)
                      Elton John
                      U2
                      Kylie Minogue
                      Eminem
                      Queen

3rd team (Global phenomenon)
                      Nirvana
                      Guns n Roses
                      Adele
                      Rihanna
                      Beyonce
                      Lady Gaga
                      Britney Spears

4th team (Local phenomenon)
                      Skakira
                      Thalia
                      Maluma
                      Xuxa
                      Julio Iglesias
                      Fixed it for you.
                      Originally posted by SummerPeur
                      Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
                      Originally posted by Goldmoney
                      So does her microphone

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeonix View Post
                        For me it all starts and sums up to the 5 primary global music legends of contemporary music: Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Queen, ABBA and Michael Jackson.

then on a second tier you get the likes of: The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Pink Floyd, Tina Turner and U2.
                        ABBA bigger than Madonna/Rolling Stones/U2?

Comment

Originally posted by Bellus View Post
                          Fixed it for you.
                          It feels so...reductive!

Comment

yeah by miles.

Comment

yeah by miles.
                              Some Abba songs maybe be bigger than some Madonna's but cmon as a whole people in Africa have no idea who Abba is
                              Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by Loveguru View Post
                                Some Abba songs maybe be bigger than some Madonna's but cmon as a whole people in Africa have no idea who Abba is
                                ABBA are pretty much The Beatles of Dance-Pop music.

Comment

ABBA are pretty much The Beatles of Dance-Pop music.
                                  I think the point was more if they are legends then surely Madonna is too
                                  Forever Young

Comment

I think the point was more if they are legends then surely Madonna is too
                                    I think you’re just confusing things because I never implied or said Madonna was not a legend, she is. I just think ABBA are superior legends though. Both are legends, I don’t think anyone can debate that.

But IMO ABBA are on a higher tier, they’re the primary example that despite having a relatively short career what they did was enough to be set in stone forever, their music / songs are like massive anthems known by the masses which have generated countless of musicals, massive Hollywood films, documentaries, people covering their songs and artists sampling them, they’re like a global treasure and they’re timeless too.

They’re on The Beatles league. Not everyone can be on that league of legacy and ABBA are.
                                    Last edited by MrLeonix; Tue June 11th, 2019, 14:14.

Comment

Using Africa as a whole is a little bit different... because most of us have no idea about African music-tastes. Only one African country has/had a viable music industry in the past 100 years... To my knowledge (or lack thereof), there is no current African country that has a nationalized music industry which publishes any national music charts either.

For what we know of Label information... Céline Dion might be the biggest ever non-African music artist in Africa, followed by Whitney and probably Janet.

The digital shift has brought some changes and Africa is certainly developing its streaming and digital presence... but that doesn't eradicate 100 years of not being in the focus of the (western) media.

Speaking of ABBA... they are certainly one of the most influental and well-known groups that have existed due to the fact that they have ruled Europe / Australia and to a lesser extent also North America. Who know what they have sold in Africa or how popular they ever were there... I don't think anyone could ever know that. But to assume they are unknown there is a bit extreme. There will have been some turn-over effect there from the UK and France and the magnitude of their otherwise global success.

as a whole... Africa now has over 1 billion people... most of which are younger than 30 years old. Of course ABBA's influence might not be as strong there as it is in other continents... but no legendary group / act could keep their influence. The Beatles - even them - are selling much less in Europe these days than they used to. MJ and his 20-24 million monthly Spotify listeners is only a glimpse of what his popularity used to be, especially if we compare that to those "young stars" of today and their 40-50 million listeners.
                                      My Chart

Comment

Rolling Flops and WHO2 are pretty much anglo-centric, sure they are kinda known but no where near to global legends like ABBA or Madonna.
                                        COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

Originally posted by aRat View Post
                                          Rolling Flops and WHO2 are pretty much anglo-centric, sure they are kinda known but no where near to global legends like ABBA or Madonna.
                                          RS/U2 has sold so much more records than ABBA. Their world tours has grossed infinitely more than any ABBA's tour.

Comment

RS/U2 has sold so much more records than ABBA. Their world tours has grossed infinitely more than any ABBA's tour.
                                            As if that proves anything...

The Beatles Wannabe's and WHO2 can have their lil quick anglo centric torus & sales while ABBA have way more impact, & universally loved classics.

Comment

Don't get me wrong The Rolling Stones are easily all time Top 10 legends and U2 are not as unknown outside of the anglo markets as @aRat is making them seem to be, they are in fact HUGE and here in Latin America they're like music royalty (I'm pretty sure they are mostly everywhere), I'd say they're head to head with Madonna.

Having said that I think ABBA's music is just on a higher level of impact and legacy. I know they were not always as massive in the US as other legends were, but globally-wise their catalogue of music is just a treasure and part of modern music history.
                                              Last edited by MrLeonix; Thu June 13th, 2019, 18:15.

Comment

Abba bigger than the Rolling Stones???? no way
                                                jio CHARTS NOW:29/6/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...5#post10423855

Comment

RS had so many classics... the biggest classic in the modern era was The Verve's Bitter Sweet Symphony (a RS remix-cover and an alltime classic song in itself).
                                                  My Chart

Comment

Classic UKMIX, turning yet another thread into “XX is bigger than XX”.
                                                    THRILLER’S SOUNDS OF THE 90s

Comment

Originally posted by jio View Post
                                                      Abba bigger than the Rolling Stones???? no way
                                                      Everyone knows / uses GODBBA while only str8 men know / use The Rolling Fads.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                                                        Classic UKMIX, turning yet another thread into “XX is bigger than XX”.
                                                        Everyone >>>> Jessie Wart tho...

Comment

Everyone knows / uses GODBBA while only entitled and privileged str8 men know / use The Rolling Fads.
                                                          Fixed
                                                          Originally posted by beredy
                                                          When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Since only about 3% of all males on planet earth identify as exclusively gay... the heteros are truly the majority of human males on this planet and therefore your shade is rendered pointless.
                                                            My Chart

Comment

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                                              Since only about 3% of all males on planet earth identify as exclusively gay... the heteros are truly the majority of human males on this planet and therefore your shade is rendered pointless.
                                                              He didn't say only gays listened to ABBA though, he said everyone listened to them (straights + gays).

Comment

Working...
                                                              X