No announcement yet.

Scooter Braun Buys Taylor Swift's Masters, Drama Ensues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found out today morning and my blood was boiling. I am livid. How sick of Big Machine to sell to Scooter Braun, when Scooter has been the biggest jackass the industry has seen in a while. My most memorable Scooter moment was when he accused Kris Wu of using bots to propel his release to #1 on iTunes, turning Ariana fans and Twitter users into racists for a few days. He also hates Taylor’s music — sorry not sorry but I’m in camp Taylor-Todrick on this matter.

Big Machine’s statement does NOT make them look better. If anything, Scott is a dumbass for thinking a courtesy text of “Hay gurl, so excited about Lover!!! Also I sold all your masters to Scooter” sent at 9pm the night before makes him look better, it seemed like he knew shit was going to blow up the next day. Crushed that the men in Taylors life, including her dad, would sell her out like this. Once again it’s all rich heterosexual men using women to gain money and power. Shame on Scott, shame on Scooter, shame on Demi.
    Last edited by Cactuar; Tue July 2nd, 2019, 11:33.
    Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
    Follow me on Last.fm?

Comment

Taylor is playing victim again. lol she's so drama queen.
      imagine scooter is bullying her behind scene and buying BM to hurt her. like.. go to hospital.
      it was nothing but usual business nothing to do with her.

BM was already on market, the ceo was already looking for new partner and buyer to grow the label.
      scooter is not bully, but he must be because he's manger of kane and bieber.(and with other +50 clients) lol
      as BM posted on their website, she's the one walk away from master, even said there' more important thing than master in big picture. now she wanna be victim?
      using kim kanye name, using femanism female angle BS. wow.

Comment

People who don’t follow Scooter on social media or know what kind of person he is, but use this opportunity to take cheap shots at Taylor are disgusting by the way.
        Stan of: Devendra Banhart / Taylor Swift / Grimes / Utada Hikaru / Tori Amos
        Follow me on Last.fm?

Comment

Originally posted by Cactuar View Post
          People who don’t follow Scooter on social media or know what kind of person he is, but use this opportunity to take cheap shots at Taylor are disgusting by the way.
          People empathise with taylor not owning her masters but not her approaching regarding gaining those masters as it is a contractual agreement not an emotional agreement.

it's like when you do not sign a prenup then you cry after lol
          Forever Young

Comment

I actually find Scooter very unlikeable, but this was a business deal, not a break-up with your highschool lover

Comment

Originally posted by menime123 View Post
              Please elaborate, because this entire forum is incredibly supportive of female stars.
              Deff not when it comes to Taylor, shes one of the most disliked females here

Comment

^ Because everything she does seems calculated and she continues to play the victim.
                People are seeing through her bullshit and are sick and tired of it.
                "I see it, I like it, I want it... I GOT IT."

Comment

I really wonder what did Taylor expect? like getting the 100% of everything and her label nothing? Girl this is a win / win situation, that label signed you, gave you exposure, made you a star, worked hard for you, invested money, time and work on your music, there were employees like executives, engineers, and people working for the label in pro of your career and you expected to be the owner of everything?

She's being delusional, she already got her part, she got rich, she got a career, she's given royalties and she was given a platform, the least you expect is that the label at least owns the catalogue or otherwise what would they earn for all the work and part they did? nothing? They had that right (not to mention it was agreed on contract) and they simply were able to do whatever they wanted with it including selling it to another person (there's nothing wrong with that, that's part of the label's business).

So Taylor please stop playing the victim and understand and accept for once that contracts are meant to be a win / win situation not just something that will make you the 100% beneficiary of everything.
                  Last edited by MrLeonix; Tue July 2nd, 2019, 15:30.
                  Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

This is getting even messier, with the carlyle group being involved:

http://https://mobile.twitter.com/ma...86826097307648

The caryle group had osama bin laden as an investor, and funded genocide
                    Last edited by Colbie; Tue July 2nd, 2019, 21:30.

Comment

Originally posted by westhammer View Post
                      This topic is pressed. I think it all comes back to deep rooted misogyny

#TeamTaylor
                      Reaching for the moon... good thing Taylor isn't black, or anyone not supporting her would be a racist, too. Smh.

Comment

Originally posted by westhammer View Post
                        This topic is pressed. I think it all comes back to deep rooted misogyny

#TeamTaylor

I didn't know that Prince, MJ and the NKOTB and backstreet boys were females too. People just scream sexism for any disagreement
                        Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by IVyoncé View Post
                          Misogyny? In what way just because the record label ceo and Scooter happens to be men? If Scooter was a women, what would you have called this then? The whole problem is that Scooter and Taylor are not on good terms with eachother. But had Kim Kardashian bought the label, she wouldn't have been happy aswell. Nothing to do with gender.

Preach sis
                          Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLinda View Post
                            Reaching for the moon... good thing Taylor isn't black, or anyone not supporting her would be a racist, too. Smh.
                            haha exactly
                            Forever Young

Comment

It looks like a publicity stunt for all parties. All of these things happen all the time (didn't Paul McCartney get furious at Michael Jackson for acquiring the royalties and masters of The Beatles as well) but this could be settled privately.

Comment

well duh
                                Forever Young

Comment

Icons supporting icons
                                  Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post

Icons supporting icons
                                    Jojo done the same with her first 2 albums. It would be a genius, obviously calculated move
                                    Love you like a love song!

Comment

I mean I mentioned earlier, that that’s how acts with multiple record deals overcome the need to get approval for use of their old catalogue - they just re-record them

I’m sure Taylor kept all of her publishing so could easily do this. My god, she’d own most of the top ten on the album chart
                                      M08T10

Comment

Icons supporting icons
                                        Love this.

I hate how most artists don’t own their original masters - one smart thing Celine did early on was ensure she owned a stake in her publishing for most of her catalogue, so she’d be able to get round the masters thing.

Comment

Icons supporting icons
                                          how would she keep the soul of the songs though and also will she create anew Spotify page now?
                                          Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by Noahh View Post
                                            ^ Because everything she does seems calculated and she continues to play the victim.
                                            People are seeing through her bullshit and are sick and tired of it.
                                            pretty much
                                            "What goes around comes back around my baby"

Comment

Starring Scooter Braun in the role of the insider
                                              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift • Justin Timberlake

Comment

Icons supporting icons
                                                Taylor Swift plans to re-record her back catalog to regain control of her masters

Comment

Scooter will still make a lot out of this, she will have to pay to "cover" her own songs.

She won't make much more off new versions, she is doing it for the publicity. Standard victim Swift.

Comment

Taylor Swift says she plans to re-record her earlier songs in an attempt to get around Scooter Braun’s acquisition of her masters.
                                                    “Might you do that?” Tracy Smith asked Swift, 29, in their forthcoming interview for “CBS Sunday Morning.”
                                                    “Oh yeah,” Swift says.
                                                    “That’s a plan?” Smith, 50, asks.
                                                    “Yeah, absolutely,” Swift says.
                                                    But Page Six has exclusively learned that it would be “impossible” for Swift to do so because her contract prevents the bold move.
                                                    “She can’t re-record because she’s not contractually allowed to do so,” a music industry expert with knowledge of the deal told us on Wednesday. “The only thing she could be allowed to do is…re-do the lyrics, but contractually she can’t. Even if she could, no one would want old songs with new lyrics.”

The expert explained to us that following Prince’s move to re-record his masters as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, most record labels put these safeguards into place to prevent other artists from doing the same.
                                                    Of course, Swift isn’t the first artist not to own her masters. In fact, it’s common practice by record labels as they feel they’re taking a risk in investing in new talent. The payoff is that should the artist become successful a la Swift, the label owns the masters.
                                                    “This kind of deal is neither unusual or controversial,” media mogul David Geffen told the New York Times after news of Braun’s acquisition broke. “She didn’t want to put up $300 million. Someone else did. They offered her a deal that she rejected to get ownership of her masters. Only time will tell who made the wise decision.”
                                                    A separate source also told us that Swift still “refuses to engage” with Braun and his team after his group acquired Big Machine Records. In a fiery Tumblr post, Swift claimed that she was unaware of the deal, but former Big Machine Records owner Scott Borchetta published correspondence between him and Swift that appeared to prove otherwise.
                                                    Our source also told us that Swift’s attorneys and her father’s attorneys wrote a letter asking for more time to review the deal before it was finalized, which highlights that they were aware despite claiming she was in the dark.
                                                    However, another industry source tells us Swift will, in fact, be able to re-record her earlier songs.

While Swifties anxiously wait to see what happens next, they’ll at least have her new album, “Lover,” to hold them over.
                                                    A rep for Swift did not immediately return Page Six’s request for comment.

https://pagesix.com/2019/08/21/taylo...-why-she-cant/
                                                    Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

So basically, they dont know shit.
                                                      Just basic PR victimisation during release week.
                                                      Classic Swift.
                                                      5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                                                        So basically, they dont know shit.
                                                        Just basic PR victimisation during release week.
                                                        Classic Swift.
                                                        It's funny because she's saying Scooter is a bully etc when 3 days ago he was sitting with Demi Lovato and Ariana Grande celebrating Demi's birthday easily two of the biggest female pop stars around at the moment. He could have come out and said she knew about the deal because she obviously did but he took the high ground. He seems like a pretty nice guy to be honest.

Comment

I'm so sick of this girl, and her gimmicks. Thank god she's irrelevant in my country. Imagine her playing victim being shoved down your throat alongside terrible music that she is releasing (excluding 1989).

Comment

Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post
                                                            It's funny because she's saying Scooter is a bully etc when 3 days ago he was sitting with Demi Lovato and Ariana Grande celebrating Demi's birthday easily two of the biggest female pop stars around at the moment. He could have come out and said she knew about the deal because she obviously did but he took the high ground. He seems like a pretty nice guy to be honest.
                                                            He’s so calculating. He managed Justin Bieber first, then Ariana got bigger and he had to be her manager, Demi Lovato‘s last album was her biggest yet and he suddenly becomes her manager and then he buys the entire catalogue of arguably the biggest pop star of the decade? Money hungry much?

I can already see that asshole trying to make money off of Demi‘s relapse when her comeback starts.

He saw Justin Bieber being depressed as hell, exhausted and on drugs but he did nothing to help him. Instead he added another leg to his tour and kept releasing singles from his album with videos that were either montages of old footage or just dancers.

Ariana Grande said she really did not want to put "ghostin" on the album because it was too personal, saying she got really emotional when she asked him to keep it off the album. It ended up being on the tracklist anyway. Now she said touring is like hell for her and she’s crying almost every night on stage...what is Scooter doing? Adding more shows to the tour.

But yeah he could be a great guy...
                                                            Last edited by JeremySpears; Thu August 22nd, 2019, 00:10.

Comment

He’s so calculating. He managed Justin Bieber first, then Ariana got bigger and he had to be her manager, Demi Lovato‘s last album was her biggest yet and he suddenly becomes her manager and then he buys the entire catalogue of arguably the biggest pop star of the decade? Money hungry much?

I can already see that asshole trying to make money off of Demi‘s relapse when her comeback starts.

He saw Justin Bieber being depressed as hell, exhausted and on drugs but he did nothing to help him. Instead he added another leg to his tour and kept releasing singles from his album with videos that were either montages of old footage or just dancers.

Ariana Grande said she really did not want to put "ghostin" on the album because it was too personal, saying she got really emotional when she asked him to keep it off the album. It ended up being on the tracklist anyway. Now she said touring is like hell for her and she’s crying almost every night on stage...what is Scooter doing? Adding more shows to the tour.

But yeah he could be a great guy...
                                                              Sorry but even if he is money hungry, who isn't? I don't even like Scooter but aren't all managers, label exc/ceo's etc. in the music industry to become richer? Even the popstars themselves are in it for a part to become rich. Otherwise they would have become indie artists instead of commercial acts.

At the end of the day Taylor brought this upon herself. She has used her exes in her songs, and even though she didn't explcitely named them, we all know which songs are about which ex. She has and had petty fueds with a lot of people that she dragged along as much as the other people involved and used in her own benefit. It's clear that there have been conflicts with Bieber and Scooter so ofcourse there is a personal factor involved as well, but that only can happen because she tried to play the game as much as the people she had problems with, and it now comes back to bite her with this and has to potentially to resort to re-record her back catalogue while certain things could have prevented and the only reason she is so salty is because of the person who bought her masters, because 99% of the business doesn't own their masters and 99% is pretty much fine without them.

Also you need to understand that managers aren't 100% in charge of every aspect. What happened with Bieber is bigger than just Scooter. There are so much brands, sponsors, organisers and even the label involved, that it is far too easy to say Scooter did nothing. Tour legs don't get added in a day, they are mainly prepared months in advance, so they didn't added a tour leg randomly. Scooter is also not the one who releases the singles.

Also the Ariana part is just a bit too much bits and pieces. Ariana can love aspects of her career and discography and hate them the next moment. She didn't liked Problem, but is happy that everybody around her pushed her to release it in the end. She wasn't fond of Bang Bang but liked what it eventually became and promoted it more than Jessie J and looked like she enjoyed to do so. She hates Why Try, but probably didn't had much problems with it during the ME release. And I doubt she is even is bitter or salty about the inclusion of ghostin' at this point in time. Pharrell was the one who pushed her to use her album sessions as therapy sessions to overcome Manchester trauma, otherwise she probably would have recorded more 'general' songs and she wouldn't be at the high she is now commercial wise. Ariana seems to be someone who likes to be pushed at moments and also needs it at points. Has nothing to do with Scooter. And next week we might hear a story she isn't too fond about some other descision, while being happy she was pushed in a certain direction by an other.

Ariana has fired Scooter before and when she rehired him, she surely set up conditions in her own favour. But she also suffers from mental health issues. And that is what I mean by these bits and pieces. I also suffer from mental health issues. Touring is hard for artists, even without mental health. But mental health issues are in a lot of cases like a switch you have no control of. One moment you can feel at the top of the world, the next your life can feel like a hell and you can cry for hours. But if you give in to it, you basically will lock yourself up in your house and want to throw away the key. It's easy to judge that quote, while she also says on a daily basis how much she loves to perform and see her fans. She probably wants to tour herself as well, but probably has moments where it becomes too much. I can't compare my own issues with hers, but I also have moments when I come back from work and literally want to cry, lay in my bed and hope everything gets better, but you can't put your life on hold and she probably has therapy and other things to eventually overcome this.

I am not saying Scooter is an amazing guy, since I don't know him personally. But it's too easy to judge as well. Things aren't so black and white. The whole business is full with people who use each other for their own benefit. Scooter is one of those for sure, like most managers, it's part of their job essentially as well. But Taylor also isn't innocent and also has played the game the business has to offer in a very calculated and manipulated way. A lot of people bring too much ethical points in it, because it involves humans, but essentially we are looking at a business and there will be descisions made, deals made etc. that are not ethical like in every other business. And I hope Taylor learns to split certain parts of her personal life from her professional, otherwise more like these things will happen. because this business isn't fair and never will be.

Comment

Working...
                                                              X