Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scooter Braun Buys Taylor Swift's Masters, Drama Ensues

How is there no topic for this.

Everyone is throwing their 2c into this drama and I don't think Taylor is coming out of it looking great.

Discuss.
    Come Play: GUESS THE VIDEO!

Imagine working hard for 15 years, but you don't even own your music you put your heart and soul in....

Guess this means she actualy has to ask permission to perform her older songs on tour? Which is ridiculous.....

Comment

Originally posted by Colbie View Post
      Imagine working hard for 15 years, but you don't even own your music you put your heart and soul in....

Guess this means she actualy has to ask permission to perform her older songs on tour? Which is ridiculous.....
      That is very narrow way to look at it.

I mean every work I do personally.. I do not own but it does belong to be on a base level. That applied to alot of everyday people, lawyer etc.

She signed a contract and agreed to it. She also made millions from that said contract and she was an employee to that label & had a relationship to uphold.

She can't then throw a hissy fit because they refused to sell the products that she made for them whilst being their employee because she is a singer.. She never owned the stuff ... it is not hers to whinge about... it is unfortunate for her but next time sign contracts accordingly and decide what exactly you want to sell when it comes to ip
      Forever Young

Comment

As far as I now she doesn't have to ask permission to perform or split money. It's just that Scooter will earn the majority now if someone streams or buys her catalogue. I don't think every part of her message was necessary but overall this is really unfair. It should've been offered to her to own her masters and not only with renewing her contract. I believe her that she feels horrible that a man she hates now makes a living out of her work and I doubt she will ever have a chance to own her catalogue now. With Justinbieber the label owner and Todrick (probably more) already involved this is about to become messy.
        MY INSTAGRAM

Free Amazon Vouchers

Comment

Taylor and her crew are annoying though. They should be attacking big machine not scooter. he just made a business move whether he is a nice or bad person that is irrelevant lol if they want to play dirty
          Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by Loveguru View Post
            That is very narrow way to look at it.

I mean every work I do personally.. I do not own but it does belong to be on a base level. That applied to alot of everyday people, lawyer etc.
            I think you cant realy compare the two. I write songs too, and if i would do it proffesionaly, i would want to own my own music too.

Also this is not about the money at all, this is about a woman standing up against two greedy men. She should have given the chance to buy the masters.

This same issue happened with Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Colbie View Post
              I think you cant realy compare the two. I write songs too, and if i would do it proffesionaly, i would want to own my own music too.

Also this is not about the money at all, this is about a woman standing up against two greedy men. She should have given the chance to buy the masters.

This same issue happened with Prince

I agree but when you sign a contract you also agree on what IP you are willing to sell to be big.

This is why some people prefer to be independent so they can have full ownership but will never making it BIG or make Taylor money.

Big machine also milked taylor and invested in the girl. She knew what she was going into let's not victim woo is me issh. ALSO this is not a women rights because as you said Prince , MJ etc fought for this and they are not women.

This is more of knowing your contracts and knowing what you are willing to lose for fame.

This is a game of Chess there is no emotion in this
              Forever Young

Comment

I agree with her wanting to own her work.

I just think her arguement is just misguided , defamatory and flat out I am a victim.

She herself agreed to the contract and scooter's wife has said a different story to what she said anyways.

It's not like Taylor is well known for telling the truth anyways
                Forever Young

Comment

Also Scooter bought the recording label not her masters.. the label came with the masters etc. Her argument is just....
                  Forever Young

Comment

She can play all the songs, she will have to pay Scooter every time she does though. Paul McCartney wouldn't play Beatles songs for years as he refused to pay someone else to sing them.

She chose to sign with another label, this is the consequence.

Taylor Swift is a brat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post
                      She can play all the songs, she will have to pay Scooter every time she does though. Paul McCartney wouldn't play Beatles songs for years as he refused to pay someone else to sing them.

She chose to sign with another label, this is the consequence.

Taylor Swift is a brat.
                      She should have posted this online but she knew she would be the victim.Whether she liked Scooter or not... he made a business move. She could have decided to negotiate with him and since they do not like each other according to her. Plus how can scooter control kim and kanye? He could have let her go. Infact her manager would have done the negotiating... not like she would have been involved. Taylor got and offer and decided to walk away....

Apparently scooter texted her and her father is part of the board
                      Forever Young

Comment

She doesn't own the masters, but most acts don't own their masters from what I understand. She still can perform her music, she probably still owns the publishing rights. The only reason why she is upset is because of all people it is Scooter Braun who owns this because he made fun of her during her Kimye fued. If this was any other person, she probably would have called out Scott but not the other party.
                        yes from an ethical and artistic point of view, it is a shame she didn't got a chance to purchase those rights and be the first in line to do so. But from a business point of view, I don't think Scooter or Scott did anything wrong.

At the end of the day, the music industry is just like that, an industry and vile games are played in every business in existence, also in non-proft organisations etc. The only good thing is that in the future artists probably try to get their masters from the get-go and older acts are gonna take their future recording masters in their own hands and try to buy their old masters.

I mean at the end of the day she is still a milionaire, fighting with an other milionaire about masters she still gets a big fat paycheck for, out of a contract she signed years ago. She isn't held in limbo like someone like JoJo has or been blackmailed out of the industry or whatever. Yes it sucks, but I also wouldn't play the misogny card, since it has been a problem for a longer time also for male acts. Because that seems to be the main problem, that it has been so personal.

The music industry is vile, celeb culture is vile, but she has been as much a part of this game as the people she 'fights' against now. So I really don't know how to feel about it overall.

Comment

I'm gonna need to catch up on this. First time I hear about it. Let me grab a fresh cup of coffee!
                          I have received many gifts from God,
                          but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Originally posted by IVyoncÚ View Post
                            She doesn't own the masters, but most acts don't own their masters from what I understand. She still can perform her music, she probably still owns the publishing rights. The only reason why she is upset is because of all people it is Scooter Braun who owns this because he made fun of her during her Kimye fued. If this was any other person, she probably would have called out Scott but not the other party.
                            yes from an ethical and artistic point of view, it is a shame she didn't got a chance to purchase those rights and be the first in line to do so. But from a business point of view, I don't think Scooter or Scott did anything wrong.

At the end of the day, the music industry is just like that, an industry and vile games are played in every business in existence, also in non-proft organisations etc. The only good thing is that in the future artists probably try to get their masters from the get-go and older acts are gonna take their future recording masters in their own hands and try to buy their old masters.

I mean at the end of the day she is still a milionaire, fighting with an other milionaire about masters she still gets a big fat paycheck for, out of a contract she signed years ago. She isn't held in limbo like someone like JoJo has or been blackmailed out of the industry or whatever. Yes it sucks, but I also wouldn't play the misogny card, since it has been a problem for a longer time also for male acts. Because that seems to be the main problem, that it has been so personal.

The music industry is vile, celeb culture is vile, but she has been as much a part of this game as the people she 'fights' against now. So I really don't know how to feel about it overall.
                            She should have pitched her arguement better because everything that has happened has been fair game re masters
                            Forever Young

Comment

I don't think Mariah owns any of her work from the 1990s either. Paul McCartney doesn't own his Beatles music to this very day.
                              My Chart

Comment

I can understand that she's mad, but she should've taken it at Big Machine only not Scooter (who indeed doesn't seem like a nice person at all, but that's not the point here - he's a business man first and foremost).
                                I have received many gifts from God,
                                but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

https://twitter.com/todrick/status/1...er%3Fpage%3D26
                                  Forever Young

Comment

^ Oh Todrick. "I believe he is homophobic" - really?

Comment

https://twitter.com/AllisonKaye/stat...er%3Fpage%3D26

the wife
                                      Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                        ^ Oh Todrick. "I believe he is homophobic" - really?
                                        When it comes to taylor todrick is exhausting haha
                                        Forever Young

Comment

Originally posted by Loveguru View Post
                                          When it comes to taylor todrick is exhausting haha
                                          tbh not only when it comes to Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                            tbh not only when it comes to Taylor.
                                            i don't mind in other parts.

Also scooter has receipts of texting taylor about it as well... her story is just wonky.
                                            Forever Young

Comment

This whole tweet gives me a headache
                                              Why does Scooter has to be a 'Swift fan' to buy the masters though? At the end of the day it is a business deal.
                                              I 'believe' he is a homphobe, yet we don't get an example or prove?

Comment

Originally posted by IVyoncÚ View Post
                                                This whole tweet gives me a headache
                                                Why does Scooter has to be a 'Swift fan' to buy the masters though? At the end of the day it is a business deal.
                                                I 'believe' he is a homphobe, yet we don't get an example or prove?
                                                even if he is... what has that got to do with buying masters?
                                                Forever Young

Comment

This whole thing is interesting but also getting old already because both sides are not really trust worthy

Comment

Working...
                                                  X