Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Police Officer murdered - 10 people arrested on suspicion of murder

Andrew Harper death: Thames Valley Police officer killed in Berkshire

A police officer was killed when he was "dragged along by a vehicle" while attending a reported burglary.

PC Andrew Harper, 28, who got married four weeks ago, died at about 23:30 BST on Thursday in Berkshire.

Thames Valley Police said 10 males, aged between 13 and 30, have been arrested on suspicion of murder and remain in custody at various stations.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson told the BBC the officer's death was a "mindless and brutal crime".

Thames Valley Police Chief Constable John Campbell said the death of PC Harper, an Abingdon-based roads policing officer, had left the entire force "shocked and saddened".

He told a press conference that although the cause of PC Harper's death had not yet been confirmed, he was out of his police car when he was "dragged along by a vehicle".

A cordon has been put in place at the scene near the A4 Bath Road between Reading and Newbury, at the crossroads near to Sulhamstead.

Mr Johnson said the officer's death was "an absolute tragedy " and "the most powerful reminder that police officers up and down the country put themselves at risk every single day to keep us safe".

"My thoughts are with PC Harper's family, friends and colleagues at this terrible time," he added.

Mr Campbell said PC Harper was a "highly regarded, popular member of the team" and his death was a "significant loss" to the force and also to his colleagues and friends.

Members of PC Harper's family paid tributes on social media to the "loveliest person that you will ever meet".

Maureen Shrimpton wrote: "Just a really horrible day. Our grandson Andrew was killed last night while doing his police work.

"So proud of him. Our love goes to his lovely wife, mum and dad, brother and all of his family and friends."

Andy Fiddler, from the Thames Valley Police Federation, added: "This is totally devastating news.

"All our thoughts - and the thoughts of the entire police family across the UK - are with the family, friends and close colleagues of PC Andrew Harper who died last night."

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said it had been made aware of the officer's death, because of possible issues around a police pursuit, but is not investigating.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said: "PC Harper died in the line of duty protecting the public and his incredible bravery and extraordinary sacrifice will not be forgotten."

Thames Valley Police said it was still trying to establish the exact circumstances in which PC Harper was killed.

The force said PC Harper, who became a regular officer in 2011 after joining as a special constable a year earlier, had attended the reported break-in with a crewmate.

Forensic investigators are at the scene, where two forensic tents have been put up.

Witnesses said officers were seen searching the inside of a grey BMW that was nearby.

The force said it would fly its flags at half-mast "in honour and memory of Andrew".

How many police officers are killed on duty?

In the past 10 years at least 10 officers have been killed during an incident involving a criminal suspect.

The most recent case was the murder in 2017 of PC Keith Palmer, who was stabbed during the Westminster terror attack in 2017.

In 2012, Greater Manchester PCs Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes were killed in a grenade and firearm attack, while investigating a hoax burglary call.

A number of the other cases have involved officers being struck by vehicles driven by suspects.

Violence against officers is a common occurrence. In the year to March, there were 30,977 assaults on police officers and a third of these resulted in injury.

The attack on PC Harper is the third time in recent weeks an officer has been seriously hurt in the line of duty.

Metropolitan police constable Stuart Outten was stabbed in the head on 8 August.

Days later a 42-year-old West Midlands Police officer suffered serious head and pelvic injuries when he was run over with his own vehicle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49368649

10 people have been arrested on suspicion of murder.

This is heartbreaking - thank you for your service Police Officer Andrew Harper; he got married 4 weeks ago, I can't imagine how his wife/family must be feeling. :(

Meaningless crimes like this really test my liberal views on crime and punishment.

RIP. Such devastating news!

Comment

Horrible news, always hate to hear about the police in this country being injured or killed as they face an unenviable task these days.

Comment

This is tragic. I'm interested in learning more about the 10 people who were arrested.

Comment

Originally posted by Postgenic View Post
          This is tragic. I'm interested in learning more about the 10 people who were arrested.
          Andrew Harper death: Ten males aged 13 to 30 arrested

Ten suspects arrested on suspicion of murdering a policeman remain in custody - as officers search a caravan site near the scene of his death.

PC Andrew Harper, 28, who got married four weeks ago, was responding to a burglary report on Thursday when he was dragged along a road by a vehicle.

He was killed on the A4 Bath Road in the Berkshire village of Sulhamstead.

Ten people aged between 13 and 30 were arrested.

Police have been at the Four Houses Corner Caravan Site, about three miles from the death scene, since Friday.

Run by West Berkshire Council, it is described as a traveller site on the authority's website.

Further searches are also taking place on the road where PC Harper died.

Around 10 forensics officers in white overalls could be seen combing the area as police widened the cordon around the scene.

Thames Valley Police Chief Constable John Campbell said the death of PC Harper had left the entire force "shocked and saddened".

Mr Campbell said the officer was a "highly regarded, popular member of the team" and his death was a "significant loss" to the force and also to his colleagues and friends.

The 10 boys and men remain in custody at various police stations.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct said it was not investigating.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49379191
          Potentially links to a travelers site/they could be part of a group of travelers.

Comment

Andrew Harper death: Man charged with newlywed PC's murder

A man has been charged with murdering 28-year-old PC Andrew Harper, who was killed while investigating a burglary.

The Thames Valley Police officer died on Thursday in Sulhamstead, Berkshire, after being dragged along the road by a vehicle.

PC Foster's wife, Lissie, paid tribute to the "kindest, loveliest, most selfless person you will ever meet".

Jed Foster, 20, of Reading, has been charged with his murder and the theft of a quad bike.

Mr Foster will appear at Reading Magistrates' Court on Tuesday morning.

Nine other people who were arrested at the same time as Mr Foster have been released on bail until 13 September.

PC Harper's wife Lissie, who he married four weeks ago, said he "genuinely cared for everyone".

"I want to be angry that your job took you away from us but I know you loved it and always wanted to keep everyone safe, especially me," she said.

Mrs Harper added: "Although we were married for only 28 days before you were cruelly taken away from me, my husband you were perfect.

"I will never ever stop loving you and I feel so grateful for the happiest 13 years of my life."

Chief Crown Prosecutor Jaswant Narwal has offered to meet PC Harper's family to explain their decision "following a lengthy review of the evidence available".

A fundraising page set up to support PC Harper's family has so far raised more than £150,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Postgenic View Post
              Im wondering how a 13yr Old gets caught up in things like this? Where’s his mother, father or guardian?
              | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

What do they mean by travellers?
                I'm a traveller myself...

Comment

Irish travellers, often referred to as “gypsies”.

Traveller children can sometimes be unruly and left to their own devices, especially the boys. I’ve witnessed some spit and swear at a train conductor cos he tried to ask them to buy a ticket.

Comment

Three teenagers have been charged with the murder of Pc Andrew Harper.

Henry Long, 18, and two 17-year-old boys have been charged with murder after the officer was killed while responding to reports of a burglary in Sulhamstead, Berkshire, the Crown Prosecution Service said. All three were also charged with conspiracy to steal a quad bike, as was 21-year-old Thomas King.

Another man, Jed Foster, 20, of Pingewood, Burghfield, has already appeared in court after being charged with murder. He did not enter a plea and was remanded in custody when he appeared via video link at Reading Crown Court. Mr Foster is next due to appear in custody at Reading Crown Court on November 20.

Comment

Another sad thing is these kids will get free food and lodging

Comment

The killers of a police officer who was dragged to his death behind their getaway car have been jailed.

PC Andrew Harper died when he suffered catastrophic injuries as his ankles got caught in a strap attached to the car.

Driver Henry Long, was jailed for 16 years for his manslaughter, in Berkshire last August.

PC Harper's widow Lissie said she was in "a lost and endless world" after her husband was killed in the line of duty, a month after their wedding day.

Long's accomplices Albert Bowers and Jessie Cole received 13 years for the same offence of manslaughter.

Thomas King, 22, who was not in the car, was sentenced to two years after previously pleaded guilty to conspiring to steal a quad bike.
                        Should've been murder, they'll be out before 2030 free to live the rest of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Thriller View Post

Should've been murder, they'll be out before 2030 free to live the rest of their lives.
                          It's one of the more horrific crimes in the UK, it's shocking for police officers to be killed in the line of duty.

They should've had sentences for murder, as you said Mike.

Comment

Working...
                          X