No announcement yet.

Ed Sheeran's Divide Tour finishes up as the highest grossing tour of all-time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Sheeran's Divide Tour finishes up as the highest grossing tour of all-time

Ed Sheeran's Record-Breaking Divide Tour Posts Final Numbers: 255 Shows, $776.2 Million Grossed

Ed Sheeran's Divide Tour officially ended on Aug. 26, and now Sheeran is taking to Instagram to celebrate the two-and-a-half year run.

"9 million people, 893 days, 46 countries, 175 cities, 260 shows, 268 touring crew, 193265 miles travelled, 2 broken arms, 3 marriages, 4 babies. What a wild ride this Divide tour has been," he wrote.

Sheeran went on to explain the process and how he wrote Divide in 2015, then recorded and promoted it the following year. "It's so weird to put it to bed and move on," he continued, before thanking everyone who helped during the process. "Most of all I want to thank my fantastic touring team, who have given up their lives for 2 and a half years to help me achieve my dreams. Thank you for all of your hard work and constant friendship."

"The Divide tour - 2017 -2019. Officially the biggest tour of all time, so weird to say that, and we survived it !" Sheeran concluded.

The Divide Tour truly is the biggest tour of all time. It began on March 17, 2016, went for 255 dates, and grossed a record-setting $776.2 million according to figures reported to Billboard Boxscore -- making it the highest-grossing tour of all time.
    More:

Beginning on March 16, 2017 at the Pala Alpitour in Turin, Italy, and closing on Aug. 26, 2019 at Chantry Park in Ipswich, England, Ed Sheeran has wrapped the 255-date ÷ (Divide) Tour. Across 30 months and six continents, Sheeran grossed a record-setting $776.2 million according to figures reported to Billboard Boxscore -- making it the highest-grossing tour of all time.

Sheeran broke a record that had been previously set in 2011 by U2, after the completion of The 360° Tour (2009-11). The Irish quartet had set a seemingly unattainable standard for worldwide domination after 110 in-the-round performances in stadiums around the globe. Their final figure of $736.4 million had surpassed the previous record-holders by more than $175 million (The Rolling Stones’ A Bigger Bang Tour, 2005-07).

U2’s tour grossed 42% of the tour’s total revenue in its first year ($311.6 million), while Sheeran built to a crescendo. He began the tour one week before debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 with its namesake album, ÷ (Divide). The album’s lead single, “Shape of You” was in the middle of a 12-week run atop the Billboard Hot 100. Still, it was only his third studio LP and his 2014-15 The Multiply Tour had simply teased his global touring prowess.

Sheeran’s 2017 run sprawled across arenas in North and South America, Europe, and Asia, moving at a blistering pace with 111 shows before the year’s end but kept tickets relatively affordable, averaging $83.50. The first leg of the tour grossed $131.5 million and ranked No. 6 on Billboard’s year-end Top Tours tally (No. 1 was, of all acts, U2, with $317 million).

After spending 2017 reigning over the charts (he was ultimately named Billboard’s Top Artist of the year), Sheeran graduated from arenas to stadiums, now fully in conversation with the biggest acts in the world, from record-holders like U2 and The Rolling Stones, to his contemporaries on the Hot 100, like Taylor Swift and Beyoncé.

While those acts ranged from $116/ticket (Beyoncé and Jay-Z) to $156/ticket (The Rolling Stones) in 2018, Sheeran barely budged, bumping by 7% to an $89.32 average upon his transition to worldwide stadiums. Despite low ticket prices, Sheeran kept up the pace, playing 93 shows in 2018, now to three-to-five times the number of people he reached in arenas.

Inflation and an ever-rising ticket market can boost tour grosses for treks in the 2010s against those of the 1990s and 2000s, but Sheeran’s 2017-19 run has transcended the growing touring business. The Divide Tour not only became the highest-grossing tour in Billboard Boxscore’s history, it is also the best-selling tour in terms of tickets sold. After two and a half years, the tour sold 8,882,182 tickets, far beyond the 7.3 million tickets sold by U2’s turn-of-the-decade trek.

AEG Presents and Messina Touring Group exclusively promoted the North American shows, via Marty Diamond at Paradigm Talent Agency. Overseas, CAA’s Jon Ollier worked with a variety of local promoters in international markets (in addition to Live Nation and AEG Presents), honoring the nuance of different music cultures, economic environments, and languages across continents. Sheeran was already a global artist on his first two album cycles, but on The Divide Tour, he added new markets to his repertoire, including two South African cities and broader swaths of venues in Asia and South America.

See below for a continental breakdown of Sheeran’s international success. His European grosses alone would place The Divide Tour in the all-time top 10, but his elastic global appeal pushed the trek into record-breaking territory.

CONTINENT - GROSSES (in millions); ATTENDANCE; SHOWS

Europe - $419.7; 4,844,884; 112

North America - $178.8; 1,993,746; 88

Australia - $82.6; 1,006,387; 18

Asia - $55.6; 453,948; 19

South America - $27.4; 357,325; 14

Africa - $12.1; 225,892; 4

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...-final-numbers
    Pollstar’s Top-Grossing Tours of All-Time

Artist - Tour Name - Year(s) - Gross (in millions) - Tickets Sold (in millions) - # of shows

1. Ed Sheeran - Divide - 2017-2019 - $775.6 - 8.9 - 255
    2. U2 - 360 - 2009-2011 - $735.3 - 7.2 - 110
    3. Guns N' Roses - Not In This Lifetime... - 2016-ongoing - $561.1 - 5.1 - 145
    4. The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang - 2005-2007 - $558.2 - 4.6 - 144
    5. Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams - 2017-2017 - $523.0 - 5.3 - 114
    6. Roger Waters - The Wall Live - 2010-2013 - $460.2 - 4.1 - 220
    7. AC/DC - Black Ice - 2008-2010 - $441.9 - 4.9 - 165
    8. Madonna - Sticky & Sweet - 2008-2009 - $411.1 - 3.5 - 85
    9. U2 - Vertigo - 2005-2006 - $395.6 - 4.6 - 131
    10. Pink - Beautiful Trauma - 2018-ongoing - $380.3 - 3.0 – 154

https://www.pollstar.com/article/ed-...t-7756m-140863

King Ed keeps winning.

Well it took him 145 more shows to beat U2.
    But yeah, congrats.
    5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Would have preferred U2 to hold the record.
      I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Comment

He becomes more insufferable by the day
        Originally posted by beredy
        When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Imagine Adele cares more than 0....
          KUBA'S CHART

Comment

Fair play to him.
            Love you like a love song!

Comment

U2 are still #1 if you include inflation ($820)
              >>>>>>>>>>> LAST.FM <<<<<<<<<

Comment

I don't like Ed but impressive record regardless.

However, U2's still remains the most profitable tour ever made, they grossed +$730m with just 110 shows (much less than Ed's) and they did it nearly a decade ago which means that inflation-wise they still remain the highest touring point / landmark ever seen.
                Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                  U2 are still #1 if you include inflation ($820)
                  Someone should tweet that tidbit to him just to get under his skin.
                  Originally posted by beredy
                  When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post
                    Someone should tweet that tidbit to him just to get under his skin.
                    Such a mature thing to do.....
                    Love you like a love song!

Comment

Nobody forces people to attend his shows so it shows there is a demand. He's dominating sales, streams and now tour box office. I'm really happy for his success.
                      Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by KEY9481 View Post
                        Well it took him 145 more shows to beat U2.
                        But yeah, congrats.
                        Well he did start with arena shows and then after he blew up to where he is now started booking stadiums. So there's that. I mean one stadium show can be from 3 to 5 arena shows depending on the size of the stadium/arena.
                        I have received many gifts from God,
                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Originally posted by spiritboy View Post
                          Nobody forces people to attend his shows so it shows there is a demand. He's dominating sales, streams and now tour box office. I'm really happy for his success.
                          If he had the success in the US he has got everywhere else, I'm sure he would be called the biggest thing since sliced bread... But yeah, the rate at which he is breaking records in terms of albums, singles and touring is astonishing.
                          Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                          and everything you stand for?
                          Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                          just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

The top 4 are all so bland and safe yikes
                            COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

Originally posted by aRat View Post
                              The top 4 are all so bland and safe yikes
                              As opposed to that innovative, interesting band at #5, Coldplay?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                                No but I find them cute and I like many of their songs so
                                COMMON LOVE ISN'T FOR US...

Comment

I thought beyonce would be in the top ten.

Comment

where is Mariah in the alltime list?

sorry i had to.
                                    My Chart

Comment

TF is a Roger Waters :-?

Comment

Originally posted by DOSSOME View Post
                                        TF is a Roger Waters :-?
                                        He's basically what's left of Pink Floyd today.
                                        I have received many gifts from God,
                                        but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess

Don McLean on Madonna's version of American Pie

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post

I actually think Coldplay have become more interesting and eclectic as they have gone on. I mean live they are something pretty special. This guy though...
                                          1 pnau |2 Gabrielle Aplin |3 Dotter|4 Sofi Tukker |5 Afrojack

Comment

I really do wanna watch Coldplay live, probably the only act I regret not having seen already
                                            I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
                                            I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

can ABBA reunite, make a tour of 2-3 for that billion dollars they had been offered a while ago just to beat that record
                                              Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

Originally posted by heppolo View Post
                                                can ABBA reunite, make a tour of 2-3 for that billion dollars they had been offered a while ago just to beat that record
                                                If they can ever get this 'ABBA-tars' thing off the ground, who knows.

I saw an article that he's apparently taking an 18 month hiatus now. Rumours/speculation running that he & wife may be expecting.
                                                UKMIXtapes Vol.3 | ROUND 9!

Comment

This goes to show that music showmanship is not about the biggest and most expensive productions, etc. People will go to your show if you connect with them through the music. No need for hype, marketing, and self-serving reviews, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Affillate View Post
                                                    Rumours/speculation running that he & wife may be expecting.
                                                    Makes sense since I always pictured Ed Sheeran to be very into family life. I'd be surprised if he went for less than 3 kids... And he's probably not too worried about losing stardom through that hiatus. By the time that hiatus is over, his 'Divide' album is probably still charting in a few top 10 .
                                                    Is it offensive to fall in love with you and everything you do
                                                    and everything you stand for?
                                                    Could I break through your invisible wall, could I hide my pride for once,
                                                    just to tell you that I see more?

Comment

Originally posted by GetBack View Post
                                                      This goes to show that music showmanship is not about the biggest and most expensive productions, etc.
                                                      or performance skills and charisma for that matter. I guess doing the bare minimum really works for certain people.
                                                      late.

Comment

Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
                                                        or performance skills and charisma for that matter. I guess doing the bare minimum really works for certain people.
                                                        or having the same old "MAN OF THE PEOPLE!" appeal
                                                        Waffles are checked cookies

Comment

The only thing it goes to show is that most people are basic as hell.
                                                          "Lift up your head
                                                          Lift up your heart..."

https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeve...orest-of-glass

Comment

What an ignorant thing to say, being basic > being you apparently.
                                                            Cha Cha Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                                            X