Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-Pop star Sulli passes away at 25, possible suicide

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/14/k-pop...d-25-10913196/

Former f(x) star Sulli has reportedly died aged 25.

Police told Yonhap that the K-pop starís manager found Sulli dead at her home in Sujeong-gu, Seongnam in the Gyeonggi province of South Korea. Sulli was reportedly found dead at 3.20pm after her manager went to her house when he couldnít contact her.

The singer, real name Choi Jin-ri, suspended her K-pop career in 2014 after struggling with receiving abuse online.

Just 2 years ago, her label mate also died from suicide at the age of 27. K-Pop entertainment really needs to do something within their industry, really. I love K-Pop to death but man, that industry & all those record labels are toxic!

RIP. Sending my prayers to her family & friends.

Comment

Comment

I don't know much about K-Pop, but everything I've seen and heard sounds completely awful. It's overprocessed stuff made to sell. Nothing feels genuine about it, and the singers look like puppets. Everything seems and sounds fake to me, and when I read about these stuff or things like these people have their personal lives controlled... I mean, it's just a toxic environment portraying twisted ideals onto young minds.
        I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
        I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

Originally posted by DnBLover View Post
          I don't know much about K-Pop, but everything I've seen and heard sounds completely awful. It's overprocessed stuff made to sell. Nothing feels genuine about it, and the singers look like puppets. Everything seems and sounds fake to me, and when I read about these stuff or things like these people have their personal lives controlled... I mean, it's just a toxic environment portraying twisted ideals onto young minds.
          Now that it I think about it, I think it has to do more with the Korean culture in general rather than the K-Pop industry specifically. K-Pop industry is the product of their society.

https://www.quora.com/What-facts-abo...it-South-Korea

What facts about South Korea do foreigners not believe until they visit South Korea?

Plastic Surgery: Itís the surgery capital of the world, with some tourists coming here only for the cheap surgery they can have done. A lot of girls suffer under intense social pressure to look as beautiful as their models and K-Pop idols. Itís not uncommon to see plastic surgery advertisements for young girls in the subway. However, there seems to be a consensus on what the PERFECT nose, chin, cheeks, etc. look like. Youíll swear youíre seeing the same girl everywhere you go.

Work Hard: Korean working culture is one of the most vicious in the world. Thereís an essence of ďyour work is your familyĒ, leaving people to sacrifice their health for a job that likely doesnít care about them. People work round the clock, and therefore resort to unhealthy ways to blow off steam. Enter:

Play Hard: Drinking culture is legendary in Korea. Businessmen, families, college students, everybody drinks heavily, and often. I sometimes see people throwing up on the street by 7:30 on a Friday night. Corporate drinking culture is also a well-known (and hated) aspect of life. Employees are required to go out drinking with their boss multiple nights a month, and must drink as much as the boss wants, or risk losing their position at work.

Strict Social Hierarchy: Iíve insulted people in Korea by asking them how old they are. To me, itís just curiosity; to some of them, itís determining how much respect one person owes another. Like bosses, your elders are to be spoken to with a different tone and demeanor than everyone else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_South_Korea

Suicide in South Korea is the 10th highest rate in the world according to the World Health Organization, as well as the second highest suicide rate in the OECD after Lithuania. In 2012, suicide was the fourth-highest cause of death among South Koreans.

In South Korea, mental illness is taboo, even within a family. Over 90% of suicide victims could be diagnosed with a mental disorder, but only 15% of them received proper treatment. Over two million people suffer with depression annually in South Korea, but only 15,000 choose to receive regular treatment. Because mental illnesses are looked down upon in Korean society, families often discourage those with mental illnesses from seeking treatment. Since there is such a strong negative stigma on the treatment of mental illnesses, many symptoms go unnoticed and can lead to many irrational decisions including suicide. Additionally, alcohol is often used to self-medicate, and a significant percentage of attempted suicides occur while drunk.

Comment

There are actually a lot of K-Pop record labels who give freedom to their artists much like some of their American counterparts (mostly come from the Indie/Hip-Hop/R&B scene), however I think a lot of their artists rather choose the easy way by signing to a more strict & bigger record label cause it would give them more popularity & exposure.

As for Sulli herself, this is what BBC said:

Some believe the artist, whose real name is Choi Jin-ri, suspended her K-pop work after struggling with the abuse she got online. Sulli was good friends with K-pop star Jonghyun, who took his own life aged 27. The artist paid tribute at his funeral in 2017.

Sulli was known for being controversial and outspoken. She was involved in the so-called "no bra" scandal where she showed her nipples on a number of ‎occasions. The first pictures appeared on her Instagram account in May 2016 and she faced a huge ‎amount of abuse on social media. Last month her breasts were shown by accident during a live ‎Instagram stream - which again caused controversy in conservative South Korea.

Comment

edit: double post

Comment

Was really surprised when I read the news this morning. RIP. So sad. I remember when she debuted in f(x), she was so young and smily....

SM should really do something about the wellbeing of their artists.

Comment

Working...
                X