Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stormzy: UK is “definitely racist” and is getting worse

Stormzy says UK is 'definitely racist' and Boris Johnson has made it worse

The grime star says the prime minister is a "figurehead" whose behaviour "encourages hate among others".

Stormzy says Britain is "definitely, 100%" racist and it has got worse since Boris Johnson became prime minister.

The grime artist made the comments in an interview with Italian newspaper La Repubblica where he was asked if Britain was still racist.

He said: "Definitely, 100%. It's like: 'Oh no, we're not racist'. But there's a lot of racism in the country.

"The difficult thing with the UK is, as you said, in Italy it's a clear problem, whereas trying to explain that Britain is a racist country [to a British person] is the most difficult thing ever.

"They think: 'No, it's not. Stormzy you're successful. Look at London, there's loads of black people …' It's a more difficult case to fight."

Stormzy, who has just released his second album, Heavy is the Head, said the prime minister was a "figurehead" whose comments encourage racism.

He said: "If the top person can openly say this racist thing - the 'piccaninnies' remarks, 'watermelon smiles', comparing Muslim women to a letter box - if that is our figurehead, the top man, the leader we have to follow, and he openly says these things, he encourages hate among others."

Since Mr Johnson entered Downing Street, racism in Britain was worse as people who hold racist views felt emboldened to express them, he said.

"Before, people had to hide their racism. If you felt something bad about black people, about Muslims, you had to shut up.

"Now these people have the confidence to come out in public to say everything. This is scary to me, that scares the s*** out of me."

Chancellor Sajid Javid had a pithy reply, saying on twitter that the rapper is "100% wrong".

Stormzy - real name Michael Ebenazer Kwadjo Omari Owuo - said he would have to think carefully before accepting an MBE or OBE because of the British empire.

He said: "It's got a very dark history. You know, Britain colonised everywhere. It's something I'd look into and decide in case of."

Stormzy supported Labour in the recent general election and described Jeremy Corbyn, as the first man in a position of power who is "committed to giving power back to the people and helping those who need a helping hand from the government the most".

Downing Street has been asked to comment.
    Controversial and I don’t know that I disagree.

He’s right. The elected leader of our country has been openly racist, homophobic and downright offensive in his career and isn’t held to account - therefore it gives everybody with the same views free reign.

Comment

I agree. I hate the UK
      Fiat 500

Comment

There's a certain degree of racism in every country. UK is not leading in that regard as your role in the society is determined by the color of your skin even heavier in countries like Japan or Brazil.
        "Before, people had to hide their racism. If you felt something bad about black people, about Muslims, you had to shut up.
        "Now these people have the confidence to come out in public to say everything. This is scary to me, that scares the s*** out of me."

If you want to prevent the building of parallel societies, it is important that people openly speak about their concerns and fears instead of swallowing them down, so that's actually a good development. The next step, however, has to be to find ways to dissolve concerns by finding solutions all parties involved can live with - without denying the concerns or denouncing anyone. And that's the task of the legislative... At least in countries that consider themselves 'multicultural'.
        ~ representing the LBC ~

Comment

Originally posted by thankfulforkelly View Post
          I agree. I hate the UK
          ...which is a pretty racist statement to make...
          jio CHARTS NOW:17/2/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...9#post10349779

Comment

Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
            There's a certain degree of racism in every country. UK is not leading in that regard as your role in the society is determined by the color of your skin even heavier in countries like Japan or Brazil.

If you want to prevent the building of parallel societies, it is important that people openly speak about their concerns and fears instead of swallowing them down, so that's actually a good development. The next step, however, has to be to find ways to dissolve concerns by finding solutions all parties involved can live with - without denying the concerns or denouncing anyone. And that's the task of the legislative... At least in countries that consider themselves 'multicultural'.
            As I said in another thread, the majority of western European societies have become more racist as a whole (and I can mention the reasons for that if you like) in a way that views that would be considered racist a decade ago are now part of the generally accepted public debate. Also policies which are racist to their core (and are also violating human rights) are implemented, financed and accepted without a serious discussion, nevermind opposition.

The UK is definitely not the exception to this (I wouldn't expect it to be the exception) but the focus on UK racism is not because racism over there is any worse than institutional racism in any other western European country (initially I wrote random names of countries but I deleted them in order to make my post as non-offensive as possible) but because the UK is leaving the EU so we have to bash it in order for the serious debate to be avoided. That's all there is to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jio View Post
              ...which is a pretty racist statement to make...
              Well no, because the UK is made up of people of many races, it isn't a race in itself. Besides, the poster was saying that they hate the UK because of the deep seated racist attitudes that are held and denied.

Stormzy is 100% right. Explaining institutional racism and the idea of white privilege is very difficult in the UK.
              late.

Comment

Originally posted by urbanmusik View Post
                Well no, because the UK is made up of people of many races, it isn't a race in itself. Besides, the poster was saying that they hate the UK because of the deep seated racist attitudes that are held and denied.

Stormzy is 100% right. Explaining institutional racism and the idea of white privilege is very difficult in the UK.
                Well OK, delete the word racism and put "ethnic/national discrimination" instead and I am right. The comment was still discriminatory

Comment

I don't know about the UK since I have been there only a couple days but Stromzy's comment definitely also applies to Germany. Not in the sense that we have a racist clown as PM but that there is tons of racism, xenophobia and foreigner-hate in general going on but it is veiled and underhanded and not at all blatant and in-your-face like in other countries. It exists everywhere and most people are aware of it but it is really hard & complex to prove it.
                  Beauty is a must, Talent is a plus: DUA LIPA ♪ RIHANNA ♪ BEYONCE ♪ THE WEEKND
                  #NO DUSTY DIVAS OR XMAS FADS ALLOWED (EXCEPT MADINO)

Comment

Well OK, delete the word racism and put "ethnic/national discrimination" instead and I am right. The comment was still discriminatory
                    The poor, oppressed U.K. general public :(
                    Fiat 500

Comment

He's right. The UK isn't the liberal, tolerant, open minded country it likes to present itself as. Many outdated values views and opinions are back and stronger than ever. We are no different in that way, to America. We are mini America with a poundland Trump leading the way.
                      thank u, next

Comment

Same goes for Holland. I don't think people are more racist than they ever were, it's just that it's coming out a lot more...some people think they now have a reason to be vocal about their racist views. "Oh I'm not racist, but don't come for our traditions (Zwarte Piet)".
                        It's really just sickening sometimes to see how racist lots of people really are.
                        "Is Stalin on your shoulder..."
                        https://soundcloud.com/jaspervanbeveren-1/jasper-russia
                        "..as he was with his composers?"

Comment

People feel more liberated than ever, and it's happening everywhere.
                          Social media and therefore the Internet have been a key to those racist mofos to expose their views and acts to the world, without judiciary impressions, so of course it has become more and more "in your face" than before.
                          I don't blame the UK, or the USA. It's just everywhere, every day.
                          5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

Comment

Exactly, thank you very much. It is happening everywhere (and encouraged to happen everywhere), including the UK of course but also in Germany, France, your country, my country, you name it... the real question should be why are we focusing on the UK so much, when there is so much racism around us everywhere?

Comment

I wish Eastern European countries were as "racist" as the UK...

Comment

Exactly, thank you very much. It is happening everywhere (and encouraged to happen everywhere), including the UK of course but also in Germany, France, your country, my country, you name it... the real question should be why are we focusing on the UK so much, when there is so much racism around us everywhere?
                                Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Stormzy is British rapper?

I dont think anyone would deny there is racism everywhere - which is worse than sad.

Comment

Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                  Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Stormzy is British rapper?

I dont think anyone would deny there is racism everywhere - which is worse than sad.
                                  Actually many people are arguing that the UK is much more racist than the rest of Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                  X