X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tiger
    Legend
    • 19 Mar 2001

Aqua-Too?

I just read that Aqua split up,is this true?
    These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
  • Tiger
    Legend
    • 19 Mar 2001

Correction,I think it's true:

Taken From:http://www.theaquaria.net/articles/archive.asp?view=18

Although Aqua isn't dead, yet, it's uncertain if they will come back together.If you think back to the great Barbie Girl time, and now see the possible end, you ask yourself: How could this happen ?
    I think the first point was the long pause between the 1st and the 2nd album. 2 1/2 years were too long for a band like Aqua. And then, although the most of you like Aquarius more than Aquarium, in my opinion, Aquarius was not good enough. Especially a song like Barbie girl or Doctor Jones missed, which can convince people to buy the album. Cartoon Heroes was really not bad, but it was not this original Aqua sound, songs like Cartoon Heroes are made by other bands, too. Barbie was famous in the whole world it was a happy song with - IMPORTANT - a great and easy refrain and the video was very happy. Cartoon Heroes instead was dark and although it was very costly, the video was worse than these of Barbie Girl and Doctor Jones. Aqua tought, with Cartoon Heroes they could reach the success of Barbie Girl. This was wrong, although it was really good promoted (Bumble Bees wasn't). Here it would be interesting to know the worldwide sell rates of Barbie Girl in comparison to these of Cartoon heroes.
    And to all of you which like Aquarius more than Aquarium, I have one question: When you heard Barbie Girl for the first time, and Cartoon Heroes for the first time, which song you would prefer? I think the most which prefer Aquarius have had heard so much Aquarium, that they only wanted to hear something new.
    So all in all I would say the pause was too long and the 2nd album didn't offer something special like the first one did.
    But one thing employs me: How can 4 people in 4 years change their music taste so strong? Meanwhile I think they never really liked their Barbie Girl style, but had no alternative choice to become famous.
    And the reason for the split was, I think, they recognized that they had only 3 possibilities:
    1. Go back to the Barbie Girl style
    2. Rock style, but the 3rd album probably would have had even less success than the 2nd
    3. To stop Aqua. The worst of all, but they took this one.

P.S. Maybe you don't agree with me in all points, but I think at least in the point of the reasons for the little success of Aquarius you have to agree with me.

My CHART

Comment

• VenusInFurs
      • 14 Aug 2001

I agree, I don't think they every really liked the whole 'Barbie Girl' bubblegum-pop music they created-it was prolly just a good way to get famous. I always kind of saw them as more a joke than a band simply because none of the music they did was ever really 'serious'...no serious ballards or serious songs really...and a joke can last only so long.
      It doesn't matter what you say...words don't bring me down, baby.

Comment

• basementjaxx
        • 21 Feb 2001

"turn back time" is apretty good track from aqua...

but i think they will not be missed..
        Oscar Wilde: "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Comment

• matthew_dixon
          Administrator
          • 01 Mar 2001

I have to disagree with everyone here. The amazing Aqua, IMO, actually did at the time like Barbie Girl et al. Aquarius is like the greatly better produced version of Aquarium. It admittedly has less silly pop but tracks like "Cartoon Heroes", "Halloween" and "Bumble Bees" were still right up there. Sadly, most of their fanbase forgot them in the gap. Personally, if they indeed have splut, then yes I will miss them because if the third album was a step further in the direction Aquarius was from Aquarium then it would've been a masterpiece.
          Matthew's All Time Favourite Acts

Comment

• MattWilson
            • 24 Feb 2001

I just wondered what has happened to the Vengaboys as well?
            You're the one I need, My real life has just began, cause theres nothing like your smile made of sun...

Comment

• JamesCarter
              Manager
              • 22 Jun 2001

And B*Witched......

I thought that Vengaboys broke up and released 'Forever As One' as the final single. But I can be wrong.

Comment

• Tiger
                Legend
                • 19 Mar 2001

B*Witched will be releasing a new single,called Hold On.
                I already heard it,I really like it!

My CHART

Comment

• ATB3000
                  • 27 Mar 2001

hold on is a great track
                  Music 4 Life

Comment

• donnaphile
                    • 28 Oct 2001

On 2001-08-29 11:04, VenusInFurs wrote:
                    I agree, I don't think they every really liked the whole 'Barbie Girl' bubblegum-pop music they created-it was prolly just a good way to get famous. I always kind of saw them as more a joke than a band simply because none of the music they did was ever really 'serious'...no serious ballards or serious songs really...and a joke can last only so long.
                    "Turn Back Time" and "Good Morning Sunshine" were both serious!
                    "I could be your blue-eyed angel/I could be the storm before the calm/I could be your secret pleasure/I could be your well-wishing well/I could be your breath of life/I could be your European dream/I could be ordinary/I could be the one."

Comment

• VenusInFurs
                      • 14 Aug 2001

In my opinion they weren't really serious-just sugar-sweet songs.
                      It doesn't matter what you say...words don't bring me down, baby.

Comment

• donnaphile
                        • 28 Oct 2001

On 2001-08-31 23:58, JamesCarter wrote:
                        And B*Witched......

I thought that Vengaboys broke up and released 'Forever As One' as the final single. But I can be wrong.
                        That's SClub7.
                        "I could be your blue-eyed angel/I could be the storm before the calm/I could be your secret pleasure/I could be your well-wishing well/I could be your breath of life/I could be your European dream/I could be ordinary/I could be the one."

Comment

• ATB3000
                          • 27 Mar 2001

that was definatly vengaboys
                          Music 4 Life

Comment

• JamesCarter
                            Manager
                            • 22 Jun 2001

S Club 7's song was called Two In A Million and had lyrics 'Forever As One' which is what u might be refering to. Anyway, B*witched aren't reelaseing hold on as a single. it was first heard in september & would be stupid to release it after so long

Comment

• donnaphile
                              • 28 Oct 2001

Well, I'm in America, and over here the Vengaboys have had two small hits. Sorry for the misunderstanding :smile:.

Comment

• ATB3000
                                • 27 Mar 2001

its ok, happens all the time :smile:
                                Music 4 Life

Comment

• Tiger
                                  Legend
                                  • 19 Mar 2001

Now STEPS have split up too!
                                  I think that S Club are next,which connects this Topic to my other one about Pop dying... :sad:

My CHART

Comment

• donnaphile
                                    • 28 Oct 2001

What about the ATEENS? And JUMP5? And all those other groups that only have hits with their music videos on the Disney Channel? Oh, well, I thought this conversation was about AQUA! >:sad:

Comment

• Terence
                                      Legend
                                      • 29 Dec 2001

Aqua have split up, at least that's what I heard. Well, they flopped in 2000, trying to match the success of Barbie Girl and Dr Jones. What about the Vengaboys? Are they still somewhere?

Comment

• lene
                                        • 08 May 2002

aqua has not split up they are still together and they are actually working on there 3rd album now an update on lene is that she and soren have tied the knot and recently got married in los angeles they are now working towards there 3rd album to be released in the fall dont believe me then go here http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusicArtistsA/aqua.html

Comment

Working...