No announcement yet.

Michael Jackson dies at 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest In Peace Michael... Farrah Fawcett as well.

Comment

• Michael Jackson's never-before-seen 'Blue Eye' photo, meant for 'Invincible' cover, to be auctioned

As the one-year anniversary of Michael Jackson's death approaches, a very special picture of the pop star will be up for grabs at a memorabilia auction to take place in December, reports the Daily Mail.

The portrait, taken in 1999, is an uncommonly subdued shot of the late King of Pop, who was as known for his extravagance as he was for his music.

Titled "Michael Jackson's Blue Eye," the photo features Jackson dressed in a black suit jacket with small mirrors scattered across his chest. His eyes are closed, with one covered with a brilliant patch of blue makeup. His hair is pulled back behind his head, and the makeup makes the singer appear healthy and vibrant.

The portrait is a stark contrast from the image of a painfully skinny Jackson most commonly associate with his death, and serves as a reminder of Jackson's enduring appeal as a larger-than-life figure.

The portrait was reportedly shot by then-23-year-old French photographer Arno Bani, who told the paper that Jackson was a fan of his fashion photography and commissioned him for the shoot.

The portrait was on the short list to make the cover of Jackson's 2001 album, "Invincible" (his final studio album), but ultimately lost out to a similarly themed (but less eerie) Warhol-esque photo of Jackson's face.

The portrait's unveiling comes amid renewed insistence from Jackson's family that his death was no accident. According to Us Weekly, Jackson expressed concerns to his mother, Katherine, that people "wanted him dead."

"He would always say that. For him to say that, he must have known something," said Katherine, who appears on a "Dateline" special this Friday titled "Michael Jackson: A Mother's Love."

The "Blue Eye" portrait, along with 11 other unpublished shots of Jackson and 50 contact boards, will be put up for bidding by auctioneers Pierre Berge & Associates in December.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2010/ ... d_on_.html

Comment

• May as well use this to promote my new blog, I wrote a one-year later tribute to Michael

http://johnsmusicalkingdom.blogspot.com ... later.html
        My top 100 artists (2018 edition)

Comment

• This death was just as shocking as Whitney's !!! Somehow, I want to know what was the exact case of death of Michael? There was a trial against the guy who used to be his doctor, any results on the trial?

Comment

• MJ was killed by his own addiction to sleeping drugs such as propofol. His doctor was charged for 4 years with involuntary manslaughter because he gave this illegal drug to Michael during almost 2 months.
            'I wish the whole world could see you like I do'

Rest In Peace Michael

Comment

• The MJ, Whitney and Elvis cases seem to be similar. The doctor killed Michael, knowing that he was going over the limits but hoping it wouldn't result in his death. Obviously ... it did.

With Whitney and Elvis, both had these drug problems and both were being overprescribed medications for anxiety and what not. Elvis had everything under the sun, from pills to sleep to pills to stay awake, but over time the body just crashes.

Comment

• Originally posted by calotte12
                MJ was killed by his own addiction to sleeping drugs such as propofol. His doctor was charged for 4 years with involuntary manslaughter because he gave this illegal drug to Michael during almost 2 months.

First of all propofol is NOT an illegal drug. Propofol is NOT on the US Drug Enforcement Agency's list of controlled substances, meaning that any licensed physician can access and use the drug. Propofol is used in the treatment of anesthesia to induce and maintain sleep. About 40 million people in the US undergo anesthesia every year and vast majority receiving propofol. Propofol can induce unconsciousness within few seconds, but is very short-lasting so in order to maintain sedation it is often applied in a continuous, controlled manner via IV drip. It is given ONLY by trained anesthesia professionals in a controlled environment and the patient can NEVER be left alone while on the the drip.
                Secondly, Michael Jackson couldn't sleep so he hired a personal doctor to help him. But Michael Jackson isn't a doctor to know how to treat insomnia. Every patient must be informed of the risks and benefits of treatment. Without written informed consent Conrad Murray gave Propofol to Michael. Conrad Murray did that in a home setting without proper equipment and without anesthesiologist and proper staff. Conrad Murray wasn't prepared for an emergency. Conrad Murray didn't maintained proper medical records, actually there were none. Conrad Murray didn't write time and what medication he gave and what was Michael's reaction. Conrad Murray didn't tell (actually he lied) what he gave to Michael to the ER doctors and paramedics. Conrad Murray didn't called 911 after he found Michael not breathing, there was at least 20 minutes delay before Michael's bodyguard Alberto Alvarez called 911 and paramedics arrived in 4 minutes. Without that 20+ minutes delay Michael would be saved. Conrad Murray did a chest compressions on Michael who had a respiratory arrest not a cardiac arrest! In normal setting with a real doctor Michael would be alive, and even in this setting Michael would be alive if Murray didn't made so many mistakes. Michael was on propofol drip for a few hours and he stopped breathing, however that's normal, completely expected for anesthesia but then doctor must react - help patient to start breathing again (even a simple chin lift can help) or he must "breath" for patient (with ambu bag or...) and Murray did nothing because Conrad Murray left Michael way before he stopped breathing. During propofol procedure Murray spent a lot of time on the two phones (among others talking with girlfriend) and he didn't monitored Michael. Murray's actions were DIRECT and ONLY cause for Michael Jackson's death. Conrad Murray made numerous, actually according to expert witness on trial 17 egregious deviations from standard of care and among these 17, 4 are both egregious and unconscionable. Each one individually were likely to result in Michael Jackson's death and they were foreseeable. Conrad Murray is responsible for Michael's death.

Conrad Murray was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to the maximum penalty of four years behind bars.
                The Misunderstood Power of Michael Jackson's Music

Comment

• Michael and Whitney are both examples of the new age we're in. No longer is it cocaine and heroin cuttin lives short, but these two are both prime examples of how prescription drugs have become overdone in recent years. Two of the greatest stars who ever graced us are gone because of egotistical doctors and medication that is just as lethal if used wrong.

Comment

• Yes, drug abuse is a big problem of today's society, in every group of people, rich, poor, famous, non famous... In the US there are 30-40 million people (or even more) connected with some kind of drug abuse each year. In Europe is probably a similar situation. As far as pharmacy industry is important for human health, it is a huge business and money is very often the main motivator for manufacturing of many drugs. It's amazing how many different antidepressants & painkillers are on the market and people swallow it like candy and the best part is those pills DO NOT solve the cause of the problem, they only to some extent mitigate the consequences of the problem. The whole system of care and medication is so broken... :-?

Comment

• As sad as it is, Michael and Whitney were in a position to abuse their medical drugs. We know MJ did, and Whitney shouldn't have been drinking with hers. It's sadder to an extent because they didn't mean to die, whereas anyone taking illegal substances knows the risks involved beforehand.
                      Queuing for Girls Aloud reunion tickets since 2013

#FreeBritney

Comment

• Saying Conrad Murray is the only cause of Michael's death is completly ridiculous. He just accepted to do the job someone else would have done if he has refused.

Michael would have found someone else.
                        'I wish the whole world could see you like I do'

Rest In Peace Michael

Comment

• Originally posted by calotte12
                          Saying Conrad Murray is the only cause of Michael's death is completly ridiculous. He just accepted to do the job someone else would have done if he has refused.

Your opinion is obviously based on prejudice.
                          My opinion is based on The Trial of Conrad Murray that I watched completely (some testimonies due to the detailed analysis multiple times). My opinion is shared by 12 jurors and the Judge Pastor who issued the sentence. What is particularly interesting, in the sentencing the Judge specifically mentioned what you are saying. I'll quote only part of Judge Pastor's sentencing address (especially pay attention to the blue bold part):

Judge Pastor: ... There are those who feel that Dr. Murray is a saint. There are those who feel Dr. Murray is the devil. He’s neither, he’s a human being. He stands convicted of the death of another human being and that death is predicated, not on simple civil negligence but on criminal negligence, and it’s important for the court to realize that that is the appropriate standard, the standard of criminal or gross negligence and the fact that a jury of 12 people from remarkably different backgrounds and life experiences concluded unanimously and beyond a reasonable doubt that Dr. Murray had, with criminal negligence, caused the death of Michael Jackson.
                          It’s important to emphasize the standard of criminal negligence found by this jury beyond a reasonable doubt because some may feel this was a medical malpractice case. It wasn’t. It was and is a criminal homicide case and this jury found beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant, with criminal negligence, caused the death of Michael Jackson and criminal negligence is defined as follows:

Criminal negligence involves more than ordinary carelessness, inattention or mistake in judgement. A person acts or fails to perform a legal duty with criminal negligence when:
                          1) He or she acts or fails to perform a legal duty in a reckless way that creates a high risk of death or great bodily injury; and
                          2) A reasonable person would have known that acting or failing to perform a legal duty in that way would create such a risk.

A person acts with criminal negligence when the way he or she acts is so different from the way an ordinarily careful person would act in the same situation that his or her act amounts to disregard for human life or indifference to the consequences of that act.
                          It’s important to remember and focus on those terms and not to treat them cavalierly as some might by saying, "Oh well, it just happened" and "Oh well, if it weren’t for Dr. Murray someone else may have been involved". I categorically disassociate myself from those types of statements. This is not a question about what might have happened or what if someone else had been involved if not for Dr. Murray. That is an insult to the medical profession. The fact is that Michael Jackson died because of the actions of and the failures to perform legal duties on the part of Dr. Murray. Not some other medical doctor and also, not exclusively because of Michael Jackson. ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HAL9000
                            Originally posted by calotte12
                            Saying Conrad Murray is the only cause of Michael's death is completly ridiculous. He just accepted to do the job someone else would have done if he has refused.

Your opinion is obviously based on prejudice.
                            Calotte is a HUGE MJ fan, was one well before he died. MJ was hardly some obscure indie artist that only a select few really care one way or another about (and had that been the case, his death would not have been front page news for nearly two months), he had millions and millions of fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by NothingFails
                              Calotte is a HUGE MJ fan, was one well before he died.
                              I know that calotte12 is MJ fan, among others calotte12 is a member of MJJC...
                              Maybe I was not clear enough. Being MJ fan or not is completely irrelevant here. I used a word prejudice in the context of this specific case with meaning - calotte12 has formed opinion beforehand or without knowledge or examination of the facts of this specific case, ignoring clear facts stated in Michael Jackson's autopsy and toxicology reports, and numerous testimonies given by various experts during Conrad Murray's Trial.

Also, I'll say once again, unquestionably, using propofol for insomnia is unreasonable but Michael's request for propofol is NOT a reason why he died. In normal setting with a real doctor Michael would be alive, and even in this setting Michael would be alive if Murray didn't made so many egregious and unconscionable mistakes.

Comment

• Three years ago today. :(

Comment

• it was 0:20 here when the news of Michael Jackson's death became public. I remember when I first heared of it. It was one of those deaths where you know where you've been and what you did.

The first celebrity death I remember was Diana. I heard that one over the radio.

Michael will never be forgotten.
                                  My Chart

Comment

• I still remember what I was doing when I've heard the news... a huge loss for music, his legacy will live forever at least!
                                    My Chart

My Rihanna Countdown

Comment

• Three years already.

I remember when I watched the news, I was beyond shocked.
                                      He's a genius and never will be forgotten for what he brought to music.

Comment

• I woke up that morning and saw my sister had texted me about it :(

Comment

• Reliving this moment. I remember leaving work early to make it home to see it live on CNN.

| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

• I can recall what I was doing when news of his death broke - I think news broke during the evening U.K. time and I remember rushing to tell my parents and then I think we all just watched the news together for a while, in total disbelief.

it was one of those “where were you?” moments I think.

Comment

• I remember - a week later my uncle passed on in a tragic car crash

Comment

• Behind 9/11 and Obama’s election, it was the single biggest news story in the black community of the 2000s. Everybody felt that they lost a blood relative.
                                                Originally posted by beredy
                                                When people see your post this is what they see:

GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT GOAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpyVsSpy View Post
                                                  I remember - a week later my uncle passed on in a tragic car crash
                                                  My favourite aunt and my mother's twin sister died 4 weeks later... It was such a terrible summer.

I remember when the news broke... I was watching TV and then they blended in that Michael Jackson was in a coma... so I switched channels and watched CNN live and it was so devastating... until the very last second of confirmation that he died, I believed that he CANNOT die... The mere thought of this being a possibility seemed very unrealistic to me...

Even tho, I owned 90% of his discography, I went to the city the next day in order to find at least 1 MJ CD (amazon Germany was out of stock 24 hrs into his passing)... I know that many people find that questionable... but it is what it is... so... I found 1 copy of Number Ones in a big grocery store... and bought it.
                                                  My Chart

Comment

• There are 3 specific moments I will remember as “where were you when these events happened”

9-11
                                                    MJ Death
                                                    Whitney Death

Surreal moments for sure.
                                                    | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

Comment

Working...
                                                    X