Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of Patti Page

Sad to hear of the death of Patti Page. RIP

American pop singer Patti Page, whose 1950 hit Tennessee Waltz topped the US charts for months, has died in Southern California at the age of 85.

Nicknamed 'The Singing' Rage', Page sold more than 100 million albums in her 67-year career, which also included 1950s chart toppers (How Much Is That) Doggie in the Window, I Went to Your Wedding, and All My Love (Bolero).

She died on Tuesday in a nursing home in Encinitas, north of San Diego after suffering congestive heart failure, her manager Michael Glynn said.

"She'd been having some health issues for the past couple of years," Mr Glynn said.

"She was actually doing better yesterday. I spoke to her and she sounded well."

Page won a Grammy for her 1998 album Live at Carnegie Hall: The 50th Anniversary Concert and will be honoured with a lifetime achievement Grammy in February.

She had expected to attend the ceremony, Mr Glynn said.

Page was born in Oklahoma as Clara Ann Fowler in 1927. Her first big hit was With My Eyes Wide Open, I'm Dreaming, which peaked at No. 11 on the charts in 1950.

Eight years later, Page scored her penultimate top-10 song, Left Right Out of Your Heart, as rock 'n' roll was emerging as the dominant trend in popular music.

Her final big hit was Hush ... Hush Sweet Charlotte in 1965. The song served as the theme of a film of the same name starring Bette Davis.

Her reputation was burnished in recent years when rock group The White Stripes covered her 1952 song Conquest on their Grammy-winning 2007 album Icky Thump.

She was married three times, most recently in 1990.

Page is survived by her two children, and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Reuters

Not a single reply to this post?

I don't know the lady, but RIP.
    I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
    I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room

Comment

She was an American icon in the 1950's, before Elvis invaded the charts. Her style was very country oriented but her voice was the perfect fit. She had more of a pop appeal than country because the "Tennessee Waltz" was the only thing country she did until the late 60's.

Comment

She was the best-selling female artist of the 1950s and sold over 100 million records.

Comment

Originally posted by android
          She was the best-selling female artist of the 1950s and sold over 100 million records.
          wow

Rest In Peace

Comment

Originally posted by theArmy
            Originally posted by android
            wow

Rest In Peace

Comment

RIP :(

Comment

I'm searching for her tunes on youtube now.

May her soul rest in peace...

Comment

She didn't quite sell 100m albums - but in the US, she sold more singles than any other female act, over 50m.

May she RIP.

Comment

RIP!

Wow "Doggie In The Window" is a real real classic!

There are so many "forgotten" stars of old, it seems. :(
                    My tits are made of silicone, just like the Earth and sea...

Comment

Old Cape Cod is #82 on my Spotify Top 100 songs for 2019! https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37...Rbm7xbNkLyCIvw

Comment

Working...
                      X