Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LGBT+ News: lesbian couple attacked on London bus

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Serby View Post
    I said what I said, real gheys will understand.
    What’s a “real ghey” according to you? legit curious
    Follow Me On Instagram

    The FIRST user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

    #KING

    Comment




    • Two women say they were subjected to a homophobic attack and left covered in blood after refusing to kiss on a bus.
      Melania Geymonat, 28, said the attack on her and partner Chris happened on the top deck of a London night bus as they were travelling to Camden Town.

      A group of young men began harassing them when they discovered the women were a couple, asking them to kiss while making sexual gestures.

      Four male teenagers aged between 15 and 18 have been arrested.

      They are being questioned on suspicion of robbery and aggravated grievous bodily harm.

      Comment


      • And they want straight pride...
        Forever Young

        Comment


        • I was truly shocked and sickened by this attack. Back in the 90's I experienced verbal abuse, spitting and even on occasion physical attack. However I thought we had moved on significantly since those times, it would seem not. Not even in London, the city where I felt the safest. People ask why we still need Pride. I should think the answer is obvious.
          It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
          But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

          Comment


          • Brexit and Trump have just made people so hateful again.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Thriller View Post
              Brexit and Trump have just made people so hateful again.
              I just think that these two things have just stirred up a long time resentment that was already there.
              I've had much worse abuse than these two ladies and a lot of it was by gay men themselves especially gay bouncers with the 'you don't look gay, kiss your mate or you're not coming in'.

              When I see stories like the one about the two women I feel sorry for them but I also cringe inside. It's made big news worldwide because it is two white women who have been attacked by men. If it was two black women, we'd see it in the London news and that's probably it. There's a deep rooted problem within the gay community itself which only values white as affected, same as the 'feminist' movement. Now it may be subconscious but it is there.

              I didn't want to rant but, I think the shock of this above attack is due to gay women in relationships usually getting a 'free pass'. For so many reasons, gay white women seem the least offensive. Throw into the mix the straight girls that will happily 'kiss their friends'. You can start to see why.

              My best friend is a white gay woman and she and her wife regularly used to kiss in straight clubs and there wasn't the batting of an eyelid. If anything it was met with applause. I could not imagine doing the same thing with my then boyfriend. Then we have the black trans women regularly out there getting beaten and murdered without such an uproar.
              "What goes around comes back around my baby"

              Comment


              • Aaliyahman, thank you for that last post you really gave me food for thought.

                Coincidentally I read this article by one of the women attacked. I thought you might find it interesting as I did.

                https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ge-media-white
                It might sound like I'm an unapologetic bitch
                But sometimes you know I gotta call it like it is

                Comment


                • I don't know if it's the right place to post it since it is not really news but we had a debate with a (gay) friend yesterday about trans children. Apparently he went to a seminar where he was presented with a research that showed that trans children that grow in an accepting environment which prepares them for the operations/treatment all their childhood and allows them to behave as the opposite sex end up much happier than otherwise. I just said that I doubt that there is enough time and experience for such a research to be completed in a scientifically satisfying manner (since trans children acceptance is a relatively new phenomenon) and I would consider bad parenthood to be preparing a child for a life of operations and hormonal treatments. While I totally agree that trans people should and are a part of society that should be fully integrated I do think that just because of the operations it involves no child should be allowed to make that decision and that decision should be made as adults after their parents/environment makes sure that's what they really want (by presenting obstacles to them such as rejection etc). In the end I was just called transphobic (which is not the case at all/I had a friend who transitioned so what?)

                  What do you guys think?
                  jio CHARTS NOW:25/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by aaliyahman View Post
                    I just think that these two things have just stirred up a long time resentment that was already there.
                    I've had much worse abuse than these two ladies and a lot of it was by gay men themselves especially gay bouncers with the 'you don't look gay, kiss your mate or you're not coming in'.

                    When I see stories like the one about the two women I feel sorry for them but I also cringe inside. It's made big news worldwide because it is two white women who have been attacked by men. If it was two black women, we'd see it in the London news and that's probably it. There's a deep rooted problem within the gay community itself which only values white as affected, same as the 'feminist' movement. Now it may be subconscious but it is there.

                    I didn't want to rant but, I think the shock of this above attack is due to gay women in relationships usually getting a 'free pass'. For so many reasons, gay white women seem the least offensive. Throw into the mix the straight girls that will happily 'kiss their friends'. You can start to see why.

                    My best friend is a white gay woman and she and her wife regularly used to kiss in straight clubs and there wasn't the batting of an eyelid. If anything it was met with applause. I could not imagine doing the same thing with my then boyfriend. Then we have the black trans women regularly out there getting beaten and murdered without such an uproar.
                    It's disgusting what happened but people should always be careful. I think many times people live within communities that share the same beliefs and lifestyles, follow media and art that cater to a certain crowd and as a result get a distorted impression of the real world which by and large remains to a certain (and far improving) degree homophobic. Attacks can happen so people should be careful but at the same time attackers should be prosecuted (as any crime really) so as to show that there is no tolerance for this.

                    I was shocked by what happened to those girls too, not so much because of the attack itself (homophobic attacks do happen) but by the fact that this involved homosexual women (who generally seem to have it much easier) and not men. I think that's kind of rare.

                    Also there is no connection between Brexit and Trump and gay rights for god's sake.
                    jio CHARTS NOW:25/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jio View Post
                      Also there is no connection between Brexit and Trump and gay rights for god's sake.
                      Of course there is. The tensions around sexuality, race and ethnicity are a direct result of people feeling unsafe due to rise of the rightwing political movement.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Thriller View Post
                        Of course there is. The tensions around sexuality, race and ethnicity are a direct result of people feeling unsafe due to rise of the rightwing political movement.
                        I think you are putting too many things in the same basket. The rise of the right wing movement (of which Trump is a part of), the general dissatisfaction and rejection of the EU (of which Brexit is a part of), the rise of LGBT rights and the racial/ethnic rights movement are all different processes with various ways of interacting and not a unified process. You will find for example that many of the arguments the right wing is using (as in foreigners threatening our way of life) are shared by LGBT activists who are scared by the rise of Islam in their countries due to migration. So I wouldn't consider those relations linear.
                        jio CHARTS NOW:25/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Madgefan View Post
                          Aaliyahman, thank you for that last post you really gave me food for thought.

                          Coincidentally I read this article by one of the women attacked. I thought you might find it interesting as I did.

                          https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ge-media-white
                          This made my day!! Wow brilliant article. Thanks.
                          "What goes around comes back around my baby"

                          Comment


                          • I simply cannot understand how someone can attack another that has done absolutely nothing to them. I can't wrap my head around that.
                            Diva!!!

                            Comment


                            • This is terrible. Can't believe her name is Gaymonat and this literally happened during Gaymonat.
                              ˇEh, mamá!
                              Me quiero matar
                              El mundo se va a la mierda
                              Y no he hecho nada

                              Comment


                              • Can we pin this topic?

                                | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

                                Comment


                                • Oh, Mum!?
                                  5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by jio View Post
                                    I think you are putting too many things in the same basket. The rise of the right wing movement (of which Trump is a part of), the general dissatisfaction and rejection of the EU (of which Brexit is a part of), the rise of LGBT rights and the racial/ethnic rights movement are all different processes with various ways of interacting and not a unified process. You will find for example that many of the arguments the right wing is using (as in foreigners threatening our way of life) are shared by LGBT activists who are scared by the rise of Islam in their countries due to migration. So I wouldn't consider those relations linear.
                                    Brexit not a direct result of anti-immigrant sentiments in the wake of the 2015/16 migrant crisis? Attacks on LGBT people unrelated to the rise of right-wing parties? Anti-immigrant LGBT activists? Love me some alternative facts.



                                    Comment


                                    • As always you did not understand what I wrote. I wrote that there are all kinds of phenomena so following a simplistic line like the one you suggesting is not the proper way to understand reality. So please keep your newspaper copy, I did not say that things like that do not happen, I wrote that other things happen as well. Are LGBT movements in favor of non-LGBT migration from conservative muslim countries? My experience is that they are not
                                      Last edited by jio; Sun July 28th, 2019, 06:59.
                                      jio CHARTS NOW:25/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by jio View Post
                                        As always you did not understand what I wrote. I wrote that there are all kinds of phenomena so following a simplistic line like the one you suggesting is not the proper way to understand reality. So please keep your newspaper copy, I did not say that things like that do not happen, I wrote that other things happen as well. Are LGBT movements in favor of non-LGBT migration from conservative muslim countries? My experience is that they are not
                                        It really isn't that deep though. You're saying Brexit, Trump and violence against LGBT people shouldn't be lumped together. I disagree.

                                        They all share the same root, which is fear: fear of globalization, fear of social and economic change, fear of the 'other'. And they also share the same goal, which is (ideally) the return to homogenous, white, Christian ethno-states. Trump is Farage and Farage is PiS and PiS is the Christchurch shooter and the Christchurch shooter is the homophobe throwing stones at the LGBT parade and beating up a lesbian couple on a London bus. They really don't differ much in that matter. The only ones pretending that their vote for Trump had anything to do with fixing the economy or that their vote for leave was due to a 'general dissatisfaction with the EU' are racists who are too cowardly to admit that they're racist.

                                        And yeah, LGBT groups tend to be pro-immigration. At least I have yet to hear a mentally stable, educated gay yelling 'build the wall' or 'send them back'. That's because they've historically had to team up with other suppressed minority groups such as feminists, immigrants and pacifists in order to make a difference. Can you name just one influential LGBT activist who's accepted by the community and anti-immigrant?

                                        Comment


                                        • Sexuality and political views are not instantly linked, so yes, homosexuals come in all shades: Some are not political at all, others are very political. Some are rather left-, some are rather right-leaning. And I'm sure there are more moderate and more extreme views as well.
                                          WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?

                                          Comment


                                          • Well, I am glad if thats what you come across where you live. That's not my experience with LGBT groups at all.
                                            jio CHARTS NOW:25/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                              Sexuality and political views are not instantly linked, so yes, homosexuals come in all shades: Some are not political at all, others are very political. Some are rather left-, some are rather right-leaning. And I'm sure there are more moderate and more extreme views as well.
                                              Thank you very much, thats what I said. I am tired of this black/white view of things. People come in all colors and just because you are in the right side of the argument in one thing, it doesn't mean you are in all...
                                              jio CHARTS NOW:25/5/2020: https://www.ukmix.org/forum/chart-di...6#post10400726

                                              Comment


                                              • | Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney | Tamia |

                                                Comment


                                                • I'm fine with both existing - straight pride and gay pride. It was no one's choice, but if you wanna be proud about the gender you're sexually into, it should account to both parts of the spectrum.
                                                  WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
                                                    I'm fine with both existing - straight pride and gay pride. It was no one's choice, but if you wanna be proud about the gender you're sexually into, it should account to both parts of the spectrum.
                                                    On paper, I would be fine with both prides's existence as well but the thing which bothers me is that "Straight Pride" only got created because some butthurt white homophobic dudes think that LGTBQ+ pride is some sort of "offensive" tot hem and they feel the need to do something against it by showing off that they are proud of being straight. Being straight is no crime anywhere on Earth. They don't have to fear discrimination, hate crimes, imprisonment, the death penalty - LGTBQ+ people do.
                                                    The creation of Straight Pride is simply caused based on homphobic reasons alone and that's why it's unbearable and utterly horrendous.
                                                    Last edited by Mainshow; Wed August 7th, 2019, 19:41.
                                                    Mainshow Goes Diva: Kylie Minogue

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X