LGBT+ News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by theMathematician View Post
    If girls go to so-called gay clubs as well, doesn't that just make them clubs rather than explicit gay clubs?
    It’s amazing really, but gay clubs aren’t just for gay people? And gay people aren’t exclusively male?

I loathe the toilet debate, it’s just nonsense - it rages on because it’s the way it’s always been.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post

It’s amazing really, but gay clubs aren’t just for gay people? And gay people aren’t exclusively male?
      I would've intuitively said 'Yes, they are', but I guess you know more about it than me. Doesn't it go back to the days when homosexuality wasn't as accepted by society as it is now and gay men seeked some kind of safe space to be among other gay men?

'Gay' can be used as synonyme for 'homosexual' or 'lesbian', but I'm not sure whether there are many women who use that term for themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by aRat View Post
        I agree. Only 18+ yo should be able to seek transitions.

When I was like 8-9 yo I used to put on a towel as a wig and pretend that I was Shakira and say stuff like "I am a girl" or " I want to be a girl".

Obvi that was just a dumb phase as a dumb kid but imagine if I was born nowadays and had "uber woke" parents that would have put me under the knife for saying stuff like that. Just thinking about having my beautiful c*ck chopped off
        I read this in the library and and almost choked trying to suppress my laughter.

I wonder if my mum has stories like this about me as a kid. I do remember playing with barbies, but think I mostly used them as victims in my Lego 9/11 or French Revolution re-enactments. Their heads came off way too easily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rihab View Post

I read this in the library and and almost choked trying to suppress my laughter.

I wonder if my mum has stories like this about me as a kid. I do remember playing with barbies, but think I mostly used them as victims in my Lego 9/11 or French Revolution re-enactments. Their heads came off way too easily.
          Ok but this is just so funny
          Find me here:
          https://www.last.fm/user/jordi_89
          https://instagram.com/jordivanderwaal

Comment

I would've intuitively said 'Yes, they are', but I guess you know more about it than me. Doesn't it go back to the days when homosexuality wasn't as accepted by society as it is now and gay men seeked some kind of safe space to be among other gay men?

'Gay' can be used as synonyme for 'homosexual' or 'lesbian', but I'm not sure whether there are many women who use that term for themselves.
            Sure, back then we needed safe spaces to exist (or we needed them more than now), but gay clubs (& gay parades/events) have included straight people for a long time.
            Find me here:

Comment

• Good to know then.

Comment

• Something good coming out of Austria.

Austria has lifted a de facto ban on LGBT+ citizens donating blood, the health ministry announced on Friday.

Citizens will only be prevented from donating blood if they have had sex with three different partners within the last three months, regardless of their gender or sexual orientation.

Previous laws had prevented anyone in Austria from donating blood if they had "risky sex" in the last 12 months. Transsexuals and non-binary citizens were completely banned from donating blood.
                https://www.euronews.com/2022/05/20/...o-donate-blood
                Find me here:

Comment

• To be honest, someone could've easily said that they haven't had sex during the last year, and unless that person is pregnant, there's no way that it would've been checked anyway.

Comment

I have never heard of "lesbian clubs" only of gay clubs. As far as I know lesbians go to gay clubs to meet. At the gay club where I used to go, there were always a lot of lesbians as well.
                    Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                      I have never heard of "lesbian clubs" only of gay clubs. As far as I know lesbians go to gay clubs to meet. At the gay club where I used to go, there were always a lot of lesbians as well.
                      I actually used to go to a lesbian bar for Drag Race watch parties. Those nights, there'd mostly be gay men in the crowd, but on non-Drag-Race nights, it's usually women. I think gay/lesbian bars usually are open to both sets of members of the community, but there are definitely lesbian bars out there.
                      Akini's Top 100 Albums of All-Time: [#75]
                      Akini's Favourite TV Series: [5-1!]
                      Your Billboard Top Ten: #1 About Damn Time [2 weeks]
                      AlbumClash 2.0: [Beyoncé vs. Calvin Harris]
                      The Killers: Pressure Machine Album Survivor [Results]

I'm not saying I love you unconditionally, but we have been through a shitload of conditions and I'm still here.

Comment

• If there is a vibrant mixing in those clubs going on, do you think there's still a need for demographic-based safe spaces anymore?

Comment

To be honest, someone could've easily said that they haven't had sex during the last year, and unless that person is pregnant, there's no way that it would've been checked anyway.
                          We shouldn't have to lie so we can do good and donate blood. Pretend we don't know our own partner when they're coming there with us. That's not easy. It's discrimination. And the fact that you're trying to sugarcoat it shows that you still don't get it.

Comment

• Also wtf is a ''demographic-based safe space''? A kindergarten? A retirement home? A refugee camp? Gays need places where they can meet other gays organically and not through an app. So yeah, there will always be a need for them if that's what you're really asking.

Comment

• Rihab : On the paper, it is a change (which is probably the biggest emotional relief); but in reality, LGBT associates have already found ways to donate blood if they wanted to - it was a 'don't ask don't tell' type of situation. Obviously, being able to donate blood openly is better than having to cheat.
                              A 'demographic-based safe space' is a place where you can be with other individuals with the same demographic background without having to fear discrimination solely based on being part of that demographic.
                              Yes, I was asking for that, and yes, the answer sounds plausible - even though gay places are still mostly based in urban settings and have stereotypical stigmas (You know, promiscuousity, drugs and EDM music.).

Comment

• Guys, I bring good news today (tonight).

This article is a couple of years old, but it's about the rise of irreligion in some countries of the arab world, most notably Tunisia (expected) and Algeria (surprising for me), and while that's not 100% related to LGBT news, in the article they also talk about the rise of acceptance of the LGBT community (well, they mostly labeled it "homosexuality", which is a start). It's not as notable as the increase of non-religious people, but 26% of people in Algeria, 21% in Morocco and 17% in Sudan accept homosexuality. Higher numbers among young people of course. That gives me hope.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48703377

By comparison, I think only 10% of people in Russia accept homosexuality (or at least 90% don't accept it), and pretty low numbers among the Eastern block (I think in Ukraine it was around 20-30%, but would have to look that up).
                                Find me here:

Comment

• USA: GAYS should die

below 3rd world nation at this point.
                                  My Chart

Comment

• That's not worrying at all. /s
                                    Find me here:

Comment

• Delighted that she’s finally able to be herself - I can’t imagine the pain of having to hide something this important for over 3 decades.

Dame Kelly Holmes shares relief at coming out as gay

Dame Kelly Holmes says she is "getting rid of that fear" as the Olympic champion reveals she is gay.

In an interview with the Sunday Mirror, the 52-year-old said she was both nervous and excited about coming out.

"I needed to do this now, for me. It was my decision. I'm nervous about saying it. I feel like I'm going to explode with excitement," she said.

"Sometimes I cry with relief. The moment this comes out, I'm essentially getting rid of that fear."

Dame Kelly became only the third woman in history and the first Briton since Albert Hill 84 years earlier to win the 800m and 1500m Olympic double at the Athens games in 2004.

She has achieved seven gold, eight silver and four bronze Olympic, Commonwealth and European medals throughout her athletic career.

She shared the news during Pride month, which celebrates and raises awareness about LGBTQ+ communities and will this year commemorate 50 years since the UK's first Pride march.

Writing on Instagram as the interview was published online, Dame Kelly said: "I can finally breathe.

"Yes I have been petrified of putting this out - you have no idea.

"This journey has been the hardest part of life. Living with any kind of fear is debilitating".

Several celebrities posted supportive comments, including comedian Alan Carr, professional dancer Oti Mabuse, music producer Naughty Boy, and drag queen Baga Chipz.

Dame Kelly said she had also filmed a documentary for ITV about helping people "live their authentic lives" - it airs later this month.

'I'd be in trouble'

In her interview with the Mirror, Dame Kelly spoke of her concern that she would be punished for being gay and serving in the Army.

"I was convinced throughout my whole life that if I admitted to being gay in the Army I'd still be in trouble," she said.

She described an incident where the Royal Military Police searched her accommodation in what she believed to be an attempt to uncover her sexuality.

"They pulled everything out of your cupboard, turned out the beds and drawers, read letters - everything - trying to catch us out, so we could be arrested, court martialled and potentially go to jail," she said.

Dame Kelly left professional running at 18 to join the Army in the late 1980s, becoming an HGV driver and a physical training instructor.

She was awarded an MBE for services to the Army in 1998, and in 2018, she became the first person to be appointed Honorary Colonel to a regular unit, the Royal Armoured Corps.

Gay, transgender and bisexual people in the military faced prison if their sexuality or gender identity was discovered.

The law was changed in 2000 after four servicemen and women, who were sacked for being gay, won a case in the European Court of Human Rights.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61854980

Comment

• Sigh... a backwards country county country tries to censor gay kiss.

Homophobic movie theater’s incredibly dumb plan to censor ‘Lightyear’ thwarted by the Internet
                                        https://www.queerty.com/homophobic-m...ernet-20220623

An Oklahoma movie theater that warned parents about a same-sex kiss (gasp!) in the Disney/Pixar film Lightyear and promised to fast-forward through the brief moment has decided to show the film in full after the plan was mocked online.

A notice on the front door of the 89er Theater in Kingfisher, Oklahoma read: “Warning. Attention Parents: The management of this theater found out after booking ‘Lightyear’ that there is a same-sex kissing scene within the first 30 minutes of the Pixar movie.”

“We will do all we can to fast-forward through that scene,” it promised, adding: “but it might not be exact.”

Some residents like Patricia Kasbek initially thought the sign was a joke, which it unfortunately was not.

When she realized it was a real warning, Kasbek called the theater to complain. “I told them that it was completely insulting for them to censor a same-gender kiss when they’ve never done this to an opposite-gender kiss,” she told NBC.

And Disney wanted to cut the clip out.

Do better!

MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• We‘re really going back again and it‘s sad and frustrating.

Comment

• Are we? That would imply that there have been same-sex affections shown in Disney movies before. Have they?

Comment

Are we? That would imply that there have been same-sex affections shown in Disney movies before. Have they?
                                              Are we not? Have there been same sex affections shown in other cartoons/animated movies before?
                                              You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er

Comment

• In cartoon movies catered to teens/young adults, they have, but I don't remember any movies catered to children and in particular Disney with such content.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tansike View Post
                                                  We‘re really going back again and it‘s sad and frustrating.
                                                  Based on ONE theatre out of thousands in the USA? Really?

Comment

• Originally posted by Debs_Wild View Post

Based on ONE theatre out of thousands in the USA? Really?
                                                    Everything starts somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X