No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think a lot of this comes from Mariah herself. She seems to be aware of the opportunities and possibilities, but chooses not to go for them. I do think she has been painted into a corner, but again, much of it appears to be of her own choosing. And let’s not forget that she pulled a seven-figure deal from Apple last year when way too be “rich” and famous people had to resort to scams, selling detox teas, and selling their stakes in what they created. Mariah is just fine.

If I only had to put genuine effort into my work two or three months out of the year and spend the rest of it counting my money as I cackled to myself, I certainly would.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
      To me, Fantasy will always be her magnum opus of lead singles. Absolute pop/r&b perfection, sounds fresh today and the vocals are fire. The remixes and the video were perfect and are also timeless. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t want to dance when that song comes on.
      Not my favorite lead single, but the impact the Remix has had in the music industry was HUGE, it changed the game forever.

IMO Vision Of Love ('cause the runs & melismas) and Fantasy Remix ('cause the hip-hop collabo in mainstream) are the two most influential songs from the past - at least - 30 years.

I would throw Emotions 'cause the whistles, but they were already in VOL.

And yeah, Fantasy hasn't aged at all. Same with ABMB, or even Emotions. See when you craft classics!

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
        Mariah continues to inspire - Demi is releasing a song with Ariana called " The Art of Starting Over" and she uses butterflies in the teaser.
        Yeah, I saw it.
        Ari also has a quite big butterfly tattoo.
        I feel like Mariah invented butterflies, were a thing back then before her?

Comment

• Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
          I’d agree with this! It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s my favourite lead single but it came at the right time in her career and kick started her “f*ck it” attitude with regards to exploring the sounds she likes m, rather than the sounds the label like, and the public will still love it.
          Yeah, I agree.
          And she influenced a whole generation of singers.
          I mean, that's still the trend that she popularized 26 years ago!

Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
          I’ll never forgive Nick for leaking “The Art of Letting Go” title and being responsible for what we got instead..

I'm glad he isn't around anymore, can't stand that guy.

Originally posted by RayRay View Post
          We can never have too much Christmas songs by Mariah.
          That's why I said I'd love and EP with 3 songs (two covers, one being her version of WAYC, and a new song, she even can record Xmas In New York ) but not a full album.

Comment

• Are we getting the new always be my baby version on spotify? Is there a new whole version? Will it be only part of the film? I dont understsnd why we dont have more info if the release is in one day lol

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
              I am so thankful that Mariah got rid of all those people. I am convinced she would be dead by now, were the Bulochnikows still around.
              That's a scary thought.
              But she's always been stronger than them.
              Glad she got the help from her friends, her boyfriend and her Godmother

Originally posted by banksy View Post
              The industry says that there is room for her only at Christmas, and she seems to be okay with that.
              I don't think so tbh.

Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
              If her team knew what they were doing.. they would make her look like a bad bitch on her birthday and post a pic on Instagram
              But does she have an ACTUAL team rn?
              Seems like most of things she does on her own these days.
              It's a shame Melissa isn't in the picture anymore. I hope her new manager is as competent as her.

Comment

• Walking around singing on repeat “it’s a little bit before my time, and I don’t even know the words to this song”

one for the lambs!

Comment

• Originally posted by loveides View Post

Sony Legacy and Epic are two completely different labels. Epic even owned by Sony doesn't profit from Mariah's Sony back catalogue, that is Colombia. Her contract with Epic must be for new original material. The last original material she released was Caution. Mariah is a now legacy artist. So the promotion and push doesn't not no longer come from labels it comes from management working. Colombia doesn't push for Beyonce music, it mostly falls back on her team. The record label is responsible for distribution because they now licensing.
                  Yes, I know they are all different labels under the same umbrella, hence why I made the distinctions.

I would push back a bit on your comparison to Beyonce, as yes, even though she does get a huge push from her management working, she does get a lot more support from her label.

I think Mariah is a bit too cozy with Sony (at large) in that they benefit massively from her catalog so much so that there is no real push for her to release anything new because the label, at large, benefits regardless if she does anything new due to her massive catalog. Then again, I dont know what label would be the right fit for her at the moment.

I would hope she is positioning herself to take back her masters from Sony, but that's more legal maneuvering than anything else.

IMO, Mariah is being treated like a legacy act, in part, because it seems like she and everyone around her is content on just milking her catalog rather than hustling like a new and current artist.

With that said, outside of Asia, is there even genuine interest in fresh material from her anymore? Would a label with a strong global infrastructure get a serious return on investing in her? That is probably the driving factor at this point, and likely explains why the support just ain’t there.
                  Beyond the label, even managerially, they operate locally. She has let her Asian brand erode substantially.
                  See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                    The only good thing they did was pay for that new AIWFCIY video in 2019
                    If I remember correctly, Mariah paid for that video actually.
                    The Walkers Crisps Christmas Advert was done in the same stage as the video (same ensemble, same everything, so maybe part of the money came from them also.

If I only had to put genuine effort into my work two or three months out of the year and spend the rest of it counting my money as I cackled to myself, I certainly would.
                    But she doesn't do that.
                    Like AT ALL.

Originally posted by Yerac View Post
                    Are we getting the new always be my baby version on spotify? Is there a new whole version? Will it be only part of the film? I dont understsnd why we dont have more info if the release is in one day lol
                    We will know that once the film is out.
                    The new version was done for that movie, so that's the focus. And I'm sure it's a full performance, probably shorter without the climax.
                    I hope she uploads it on her channel.

Comment

• Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
                      Walking around singing on repeat “it’s a little bit before my time, and I don’t even know the words to this song”

one for the lambs!
                      Her tone <3

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post

Her tone <3

Effort required=0!

Comment

• That sounded so effortlessly good tbh. Her musicianship is off the chart.

Comment

• Female Singers' Whistle Registers Tier List

This is a cool vid.
                            Xtina uses falsetto.
                            Where is Chante?
                            I don't like Morissette whistles, she's always pitchy.
                            Ari has improved a lot.

Comment

Yeah, I saw it.
                              Ari also has a quite big butterfly tattoo.
                              I feel like Mariah invented butterflies, were a thing back then before her?
                              I was kinda joking lol. I think Aretha used Butterflies and had a song too but not sure!
                              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                              Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Today is the LAST DAY to get your votes in the Mariah Carey Discography Rate. You may vote for as many songs as you like, even if you only know a handful. However, after today, we will not be able to process any more ballots. Get it in!

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music-di...al-day-to-vote

Comment

I was kinda joking lol. I think Aretha used Butterflies and had a song too but not sure!
                                  Mariah leant Butterflies to MJ for the Invincible album too

Comment

I was joking too
                                    But Mariah popularized the butterflies in music, she has an album with that name, the song, the Tour, the rings, the tattoo, she mentions butterflies all the time, The Butterfly Returns, and the list goes on and on. I mean, It's part of her brand. And then some singers that she influenced copied her.
                                    But it's not the first time.
                                    Remember when Leona basically did a shoot exactly the same as Mariah's iconic Butterfly photoshoot?

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                      [CENTER]Today is the LAST DAY to get your votes in the Mariah Carey Discography Rate. You may vote for as many songs as you like, even if you only know a handful. However, after today, we will not be able to process any more ballots. Get it in!

https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music-di...al-day-to-vote
                                      Come on everyone... rate my your fave songs highly! Ah heck - my fave songs. I'll send you a list.

How many voters do you have so far bm08 ?
                                      MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

I was joking too
                                        But Mariah popularized the butterflies in music, she has an album with that name, the song, the Tour, the rings, the tattoo, she mentions butterflies all the time, The Butterfly Returns, and the list goes on and on. I mean, It's part of her brand. And then some singers that she influenced copied her.
                                        But it's not the first time.
                                        Remember when Leona basically did a shoot exactly the same as Mariah's iconic Butterfly photoshoot?
                                        Maybe ! Prince was using Butterflies back in 1995 so maybe he inspired Mariah. He also has an album called Emancipation! Aretha's song is called Elusive Butterfly lol. Never saw the Leona shoot.
                                        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post

Come on everyone... rate my your fave songs highly! Ah heck - my fave songs. I'll send you a list.

How many voters do you have so far bm08 ?
                                          We've processed 19 ballots so far!

Comment

• Also remember that fake butterfly glittery tattoo that she used to rock from 2001-2008 in her back on the side? She's obsessed with butterflies, haha.

I kinda am too. I have a couple of butterfly tattoos inspired by MiMi of course.

Comment

• LMAO this went viral after so many years.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

Yes, I know they are all different labels under the same umbrella, hence why I made the distinctions.

I would push back a bit on your comparison to Beyonce, as yes, even though she does get a huge push from her management working, she does get a lot more support from her label.

I think Mariah is a bit too cozy with Sony (at large) in that they benefit massively from her catalog so much so that there is no real push for her to release anything new because the label, at large, benefits regardless if she does anything new due to her massive catalog. Then again, I dont know what label would be the right fit for her at the moment.

I would hope she is positioning herself to take back her masters from Sony, but that's more legal maneuvering than anything else.

IMO, Mariah is being treated like a legacy act, in part, because it seems like she and everyone around her is content on just milking her catalog rather than hustling like a new and current artist.

Beyond the label, even managerially, they operate locally. She has let her Asian brand erode substantially.
                                                This might have something to do with Jay Z as well. I remember after her disastrous NYE performance, Jay came out in the media and said an artist of Mariahs caliber/legacy does not even need to be up there hustling like a new artist. But the thing about Mariah (and Stella to a certain degree) she always treated her career with the fire of a new artist. Remember LA Reid tried to say as well that she will never have a pop hit again and tried to get her to do a covers only album....

Sony might be on that page as well. Mariah might be the only one who actually does want new current success but she can not fight all of these companies.

That is why 2013 was so important because it would have kept her bargaining power high. Sure we can blame it on divorce, and Nicki Minaj, etc. But MC is a professional who had been in the game for 23 years by that point. She should have played her cards better. The next album she released came and went without the label even blinking an eye. Does anyone really expect anything different for the next one?
                                                Last edited by tee; Wed March 24, 2021, 15:18.

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post

This might have something to do with Jay Z as well. I remember after her disastrous NYE performance, Jay came out in the media and said an artist of Mariahs caliber/legacy does not even need to be up there hustling like a new artist. But the thing about Mariah (and Stella to a certain degree) she always treated her career with the fire of a new artist. Remember LA Reid tried to say as well that she will never have a pop hit again and tried to get her to do a covers only album....

Sony might be on that page as well. Mariah might be the only one who actually does want new current success but she can not fight all of these companies.

That is why 2013 was so important because it would have kept her bargaining power high. Sure we can blame it on divorce, and Nicki Minaj, etc. But MC is a professional who had been in the game for 23 years by that point. She should have played her cards better. The next album she released came and went without the label even blinking an eye. Does anyone really expect anything different for the next one?
                                                  Very worthy discussion here!

I find it interesting the number of powerful men steering her in the direction of legacy. In some ways, their advice is valid. Think about how in the era leading up to Stella just how awful things were for her where a string of poor performances dominated and brought back very early 90s criticism that she cannot perform live. So I can see why people like Jay Z and LA Reid would want her to really settle down and secure her legacy and not allow it to be eroded further.

Though, we've seen just how rapidly things turned around for her with a new managerial style that placed her legacy and status at the forefront. Almost immediately they began a Golden Globes campaign that saw her get the TCL Honour and obviously secure the Golden Globes nomination to highlight her status as a bona fide songwriter. We saw that with Caution too. Her interviews and press highlighted Mariah the songwriter just as much as, or more than, Mariah the vocalist. The Genius interview is perhaps also evidence of this.

Regarding the hustle of Stella. In some ways, I agree. Though, I think Stella short sightedness was a major downfall. I wont speak to all the other evil things but purely on the projects front - we saw Stella try to get Mariah in the media in any way possible. This, as we know, led to some questionable things. In retrospect, it seems as though Stella was promoting Mariah the celebrity more than Mariah the artist. Which is fine to an extent but it became overwhelming particularly given that the issue of Mariah not being a great vocalist was still part of the narrative. It is notable that some of the projects Stella secured are being executed now.

Anyways, I do think Mariah is in a different place now. I am fine with her working her catalog but I do think it would work beter if she attempts to at least put out some new material as well. She does need to have more of a hustle with promoting this new material and ensure she gets the backing and support of all the powers that be to ensure its success. After all, if the focus is on building her legacy more, there is no better way to do that than by ensuring her new material is also successful.

Comment

• Wasn’t Leona’s shoot a homage to Mariah? Didn’t she do it for a few different artists in the same shoot?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X