Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
    LMAO this went viral after so many years.

I saw this yesterday, after so many years... I quietly lol’d

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

Very worthy discussion here!

I find it interesting the number of powerful men steering her in the direction of legacy. In some ways, their advice is valid. Think about how in the era leading up to Stella just how awful things were for her where a string of poor performances dominated and brought back very early 90s criticism that she cannot perform live. So I can see why people like Jay Z and LA Reid would want her to really settle down and secure her legacy and not allow it to be eroded further.

Though, we've seen just how rapidly things turned around for her with a new managerial style that placed her legacy and status at the forefront. Almost immediately they began a Golden Globes campaign that saw her get the TCL Honour and obviously secure the Golden Globes nomination to highlight her status as a bona fide songwriter. We saw that with Caution too. Her interviews and press highlighted Mariah the songwriter just as much as, or more than, Mariah the vocalist. The Genius interview is perhaps also evidence of this.

Regarding the hustle of Stella. In some ways, I agree. Though, I think Stella short sightedness was a major downfall. I wont speak to all the other evil things but purely on the projects front - we saw Stella try to get Mariah in the media in any way possible. This, as we know, led to some questionable things. In retrospect, it seems as though Stella was promoting Mariah the celebrity more than Mariah the artist. Which is fine to an extent but it became overwhelming particularly given that the issue of Mariah not being a great vocalist was still part of the narrative. It is notable that some of the projects Stella secured are being executed now.

Anyways, I do think Mariah is in a different place now. I am fine with her working her catalog but I do think it would work beter if she attempts to at least put out some new material as well. She does need to have more of a hustle with promoting this new material and ensure she gets the backing and support of all the powers that be to ensure its success. After all, if the focus is on building her legacy more, there is no better way to do that than by ensuring her new material is also successful.
      Very good points. It does seem like the men are very quick to put Mariah in her place (legacy act), Im sure by now if she was still with Tommy he would be doing the same thing (albeit with way more of a budget to do so). Stella, an older female was having none of that. Too bad she had no real clue about the music business. Although Mariah did so Im confused why the focus on music was so lost.

If Mariah is comfortable being a legacy only act with the occasional new album (every five years) then maybe the new material should reflect that. Work with Babyface, Walter, Jimmy & Terry. That way it is all aligned with her legacy.

But if she works with current hot producers (as I believe she wants to) like gtfo then she should promote with the fire of a new artist because the sounds are new to her. You cant spend five years promoting as legacy and then release an album for the teens and think everything will work out.

Maybe it is time to go back to the soul/adult contemporary route so at least her business model is aligned.
      Last edited by tee; Wed March 24, 2021, 15:47.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

We've processed 19 ballots so far!
        Only 19 ? That is a surprise. Where have all the lambs disappeared to ?
        Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
        Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Mariah's career is kind of in a strange place now because she is still capable of making extremely good and current music that if it was released by a younger, more popular artist, would be absolutely huge.. but she herself no longer has the reach or audience to make it huge. Must be frustrating for her.
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Its because of 2009-2018. Too many years of bad choices, lazy performances and resting on her laurels. She was basically managing herself music wise from 2008 (after Benny Medina)- Roc nation. She had managers but lets be real, she wasnt listening to any of them lol

oh how I wish obsessed was released as a single in 2009 as part of an E=mc2 re-release and that she kept pushing that album instead of memoirs. But that is just me.
            Last edited by tee; Wed March 24, 2021, 16:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
              Wasn’t Leona’s shoot a homage to Mariah? Didn’t she do it for a few different artists in the same shoot?
              I only saw a "homage" to Mariah.

Comment

• I think people need to remember she’s not a machine, she has been quite open with her mental health issues, marital issues, her accident, people taking advantage of her. In addition to that she’s been raising two children...the list goes on. All contributing factors to the inconsistency.

have you never had moments in your own career when you’ve taken your foot off the brake?

Comment

I saw this yesterday, after so many years... I quietly lol’d
                  The funniest thing is that she was filming this

Idk why they're popping out after so many years but there's other one from 3 days ago with 40K likes and also another new one with 30K

Comment

I think people need to remember she’s not a machine, she has been quite open with her mental health issues, marital issues, her accident, people taking advantage of her. In addition to that she’s been raising two children...the list goes on. All contributing factors to the inconsistency.

have you never had moments in your own career when you’ve taken your foot off the brake?

Comment

Also remember that fake butterfly glittery tattoo that she used to rock from 2001-2008 in her back on the side? She's obsessed with butterflies, haha.

I kinda am too. I have a couple of butterfly tattoos inspired by MiMi of course.
                      I think that started with the Breakdown video. She explained that she had a scar she wanted to cover. We now know the story behind that scar.

Comment

I think people need to remember she’s not a machine, she has been quite open with her mental health issues, marital issues, her accident, people taking advantage of her. In addition to that she’s been raising two children...the list goes on. All contributing factors to the inconsistency.

I get that. And a totally fair point. However, she didnt take a break, take time off, step away. She continued to work... put herself out there, create a product that she wanted us, her fans and the general public to buy. One could say that she had mental health issues throughout TEOM as well. But she was willing to work. We cannot only use that as an excuse when the project flops. I do know that having children slowed her down but again she took the $18-million for Idol with the theory that she would launch a new project. My hope is that her next album will be more organized in terms of sounds and timelines.

Comment

• Originally posted by banksy View Post
                          I think that started with the Breakdown video. She explained that she had a scar she wanted to cover. We now know the story behind that scar.
                          Yeah, that's the first time I saw it.

But it's different from the ones she used from 2001-onwards.

Comment

• Quick reminder that Cool On You is better than any song released in the last decade

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki View Post
                              Quick reminder that Cool On You is better than any song released in the last decade
                              TASTE.

Comment

Quick reminder that Cool On You is better than any song released in the last decade
                                It just needed some dirty, grinding bass in the latter half and it would be single material

Comment

I only saw a "homage" to Mariah.
                                  Interesting... I’d like to see the accompanying interview to see if she made reference to the fact she was dressed as MC.

Her debut album cover was very Mariah as well. I guess it was the label trying to mimic the strategy of Mariahs career launch more than Leona choosing to bite her style, but the similarities were evident.
                                  Last edited by WaitYourTurn; Wed March 24, 2021, 17:18.

Comment

Yeah, that's the first time I saw it.

But it's different from the ones she used from 2001-onwards.

Perfection. Such a good video.

I love how so many late 90’s rap/rnb videos were shot with a fisheye lens. This has a kinda Hype Williams vibe

Comment

• I think the film that features ABMB will be released at midnight (probably). I wonder if she’s gonna release the song on streaming midnight too or will wait til Friday. She hasn’t said anything yet

Comment

Interesting... I’d like to see the accompanying interview to see if she made reference to the fact she was dressed as MC.

Her debut album cover was very Mariah as well. I guess it was the label trying to mimic the strategy of Mariahs career launch more than Leona choosing to bite her style, but the similarities were evident.
                                        Simon wanted to find the next Mariah so bad and he thought he did... but nope.

Yeah, there's lot of similarities.
                                        But she also was heavily influenced by Mariah.
                                        Then she found her style, but her voice declined so fast.

I wonder if they talked or they shared some moment when they met back in 2008.

Comment

Perfection. Such a good video.

I love how so many late 90’s rap/rnb videos were shot with a fisheye lens. This has a kinda Hype Williams vibe
                                          Yeah, that effect was so 90s LOL. I like it.

And yasss, one of her best videos, the looks, the make-up. Perfection.

Comment

Yeah, that effect was so 90s LOL. I like it.

And yasss, one of her best videos, the looks, the make-up. Perfection.

I think this is all she needs to have a good video, rather than cutting between 1-2 looks (Obsessed) she needs 5-6 looks that the video goes between and the lambs feel fed. Surely it can’t cost thst much more in production? The BD vid doesn’t look like it would have been an expensive shoot

Comment

Sorry but Caution easily destroys Poop on you..
                                              Mariah Carey x BTS
                                              #20th No.1

Comment

I think this is all she needs to have a good video, rather than cutting between 1-2 looks (Obsessed) she needs 5-6 looks that the video goes between and the lambs feel fed. Surely it can’t cost thst much more in production? The BD vid doesn’t look like it would have been an expensive shoot
                                                No, not at all.

She just needs to act more natural and add someone who plays her lover in her vids.
                                                My All vid, for example, is super gorgeous yet is way more simple than the ones from Caution which have great/better cinematography but they're lacking those elements.

Comment

• This is an underrated bop and she looks absolutely amazing in this vid, like damn, hot af.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                                    X