X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post

The lyrics to “The Roof” and “Breakdown” are on another level lyrically

I’m obsessed with her melodies but those words are actual poetry
    We all learned half of our vocabulary from the Butterfly album!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post

I think that was a fantastic decision from her and it's called artistic integrity.
      We got enough of next-Mariah's with managers and media pulling that narrative.
      Mariah would be proud of that I think.
      And I love Alicia, amazing musician, but she didn't have the pipes to be the next-Mariah anyway.
      Neither Ariana, but she started with a VERY similar style. Then she found her own way (tho Mimi's influence is pretty evident in her work).
      Alicias debut album was flawless. It wouldn’t have worked as well with Mariah style production in the music and she wouldn’t have landed as well being marketed as the next Mariah.
      like you say, she doesn’t have the chops either!

Comment

• Originally posted by naughtynae View Post
        I’m also loving the One mo’ gen love it’s such a sexy song. I love that sound for her and the Make it look good sound it’s sexy especially with her current tone.
        We Stan OMG!

Comment

Also the control she has over her lower register is amazing.

She's doing beautiful melismas down to F2

I love the extremes LOL, in one show she ended on a whistle, then she goes all the way down to such a low note like F2
          Notes only Whales can hear

Comment

• Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post

Isn’t it ‘Dunny’?

I always wondered what that meant. Is it American? Anyone help me out?
            That’s what it says when I google the lyrics but I’m American and we don’t use that lol so Idk

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
              That’s what it says when I google the lyrics but I’m American and we don’t use that lol so Idk
              It’s in the CD booklet as well if I remember rightly. Maybe it was a nickname she had for him?
              only other thing I can think of, is it’s a toilet in Australian
              Last edited by WaitYourTurn; Wed March 31, 2021, 07:24.

Comment

• 3:22 is the best she ever did it.
                I'm so glad bartending school is paying off! #cheers to the haters there's so much more coming !!

Comment

It’s in the CD booklet as well if I remember rightly. Maybe it was a nickname she had for him?
                  only other thing I can think of, is it’s a toilet in Australian
                  It is Australian slang for toilet - though I wouldn't think she's using it in that way
                  MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post

It is Australian slang for toilet - though I wouldn't think she's using it in that way
                    haha, I thought the same... there must be deeper meaning to it. Why have we never questioned this before?
                    I even looked on Urban Dictionary and there’s nothing (other than toilet)

Comment

• I looked "dunny" up years ago and it also refers to someone that is slow to process info, to perceive things. So let's say it's the same as "dummy"
                      Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                        The lyrics to “The Roof” and “Breakdown” are on another level lyrically

I’m obsessed with her melodies but those words are actual poetry
                        Yeah.
                        Two of her most well written songs along with some other from Butterfly, Petals and of course the tracks on Godbracelet.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                          I gotta break it to ya delicately, dummy
                          Taking my G5 twenty minutes wasn't nothing
                          I love that part.
                          Clown is her best diss track.

Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
                          Isn’t it ‘Dunny’?

I always wondered what that meant. Is it American? Anyone help me out?
                          I think it's "dummy". That means basically studip or silly.

Comment

• Talking of hard to understand lyrics, does anyone know what the song One Night is about and what the message of the song is?

Comment

I love that part.
                              Clown is her best diss track.

I think it's "dummy". That means basically studip or silly.
                              She definitely says dummy in Clown. There is a clear "m" sound there at the end. Absolutely no way is she singing Dunny LOL
                              Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                              Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

We all learned half of our vocabulary from the Butterfly album!
                                She bodied our vocabulary with Butterfly and Godbracelet
                                Well, not mine at all actually, I'm still learning... but I've discovered some complex words thanks to her.

Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
                                Alicias debut album was flawless. It wouldn’t have worked as well with Mariah style production in the music and she wouldn’t have landed as well being marketed as the next Mariah.
                                like you say, she doesn’t have the chops either!
                                Exactly.
                                I love her debut album as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                  She definitely says dummy in Clown. There is a clear "m" sound there at the end. Absolutely no way is she singing Dunny LOL
                                  Yeah, I hear clearly "dummy", but since I'm not a native-american-speaker I didn't want to contradict anyone LOL.
                                  And it means "tonto/tontito" (stupid/silly) in Spanish 'cause I've saw an Argentinian film where they use that word all the time in that way.

Comment

She bodied our vocabulary with Butterfly and Godbracelet
                                    Well, not mine at all actually, I'm still learning... but I've discovered some complex words thanks to her.

Exactly.
                                    I love her debut album as well!
                                    I wore that CD out in 2001, but let’s not pretend that Alicia has good belts.

Originally posted by Shaka View Post

Yeah, I hear clearly "dummy", but since I'm not a native-american-speaker I didn't want to contradict anyone LOL.
                                    And it means "tonto/tontito" (stupid/silly) in Spanish 'cause I've saw an Argentinian film where they use that word all the time in that way.
                                    I’ve always heard “dunny”. It’s printed in the lyrics, and since she was hitting the mask hard, it’s really hard to miss the “n” sound. It could be a play on “dunce” and “honey”, or maybe that’s something people call him?

Wouldn’t it have been corrected by now, if that wasn’t what she said?

Comment

If you listen to any of the clowns on YT and slow it down to 50 percent you can hear the dummy and the M sound as clear as day.

Y eso, es tonto en castellano

Mira tonto, saliste conmigo en mi auto, no significaba nada mas. Entiendo ?

( Probably have the verbs all wrong but I tried jajajaj)

Comment

Notes only Whales can hear
                                        Queen of communicating with the animal kingdom

Originally posted by banksy View Post
                                        No, her technique is terrible.
                                        But she's an amazing musician.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                          If you listen to any of the clowns on YT and slow it down to 50 percent you can hear the dummy and the M sound as clear as day.

Y eso, es tonto en castellano

Mira tonto, saliste conmigo en mi auto, no significaba nada mas. Entiendo ?

( Probably have the verbs all wrong but I tried jajajaj)
                                          Yeah, the M is definitely there.
                                          I always sang it that way

No, u use 'em right!

Comment

• I was just listening to VOL from this concert, LOL.

AMAZING RENDITION!

3:22 was amazing, those ad-libs! (I hear E5/F5-ish at the end of the second ad-lib).

3:00 was algo a great attempt!

Originally posted by eternally12 View Post

3:22 is the best she ever did it.

Comment

Yeah, the M is definitely there.
                                              I always sang it that way

No, u use 'em right!
                                              Oh wow, i shouldnt doubt myself

Comment

• Originally posted by banksy View Post
                                                I’ve always heard “dunny”. It’s printed in the lyrics, and since she was hitting the mask hard, it’s really hard to miss the “n” sound. It could be a play on “dunce” and “honey”, or maybe that’s something people call him?

I hear "dummy". The M is very clear for me, LOL.

I have the cd with the booklet in my other house, I can't check rn, ugh.
                                                Can someone check it and make a capture?

Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                                                Oh wow, i shouldnt doubt myself
                                                Never

Comment

• Originally posted by banksy View Post

Listen to this from 1 min 20 and slow it down to 25 percent. Despite what may be printed in the booklet she sings Dummy. The M sound is right there !!

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                                    X