Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post

But these "staged live performances" work well for her.
    It gives her more exposure. Look at the views. WBT LNM video has almost 3M views.
    And most people think it's live anyway, no big deal.

She could release an EP and the staged performances at the same time.
    Promo, baby!
    Ok what I mean is I personally don’t care for them she is in her home studio using her own equipment and can retake as many times as she pleases I’d just much prefer it to be more ‘live’.

However I love the audio and play listed it straight away so an EP would be gorgeous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo View Post
      I was creating for myself a Spotify playlist with some urbanriah songs and found out that The One So So Def remix is no longer available to listen, at least in Argentina, in the The One EP MC30... I wanted it :(
      Oh, that sucks.
      I always listen to it on YouTube.
      I'll check it later!

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
      eew, keep it. Justice for ByeBye.

Comment

• I really want Mariah to do cover songs again. She is so good at that. I still love and play I want to know what love is for example. Such a stunning cover.
        My Chart

Comment

• Comment

• https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/...JtuyXUmhl3xitU

AUG 9, 2020 - 4:00 AM

Mariah Carey, Alanis Morissette, 2Pac and The Smashing Pumpkins all had No. 1 albums in 1995. Despite such hallowed competition, four movie soundtracks also topped the Billboard 200 chart(opens in a new tab) that year. Two were family-friendly Disney behemoths: Pocahontas and The Lion King, the latter still powering from the previous year. The other chart-topping soundtracks, for the Michelle Pfeiffer vehicle Dangerous Minds and the stoner comedy Friday, were no one's idea of kids' entertainment.

Beyond those No. 1 spots, 1995 marked a fascinating midpoint in a soundtrack-heavy decade. According to a New York Times report(opens in a new tab), a new release CD that year typically cost anywhere between $13-$19. At that price, a soundtrack needed major star power or an undeniable concept.

For movie studios and musicians alike, the format was rich with opportunity. However, there was no certain formula for success. Some soundtracks were guided by a single producer, while others drew on a grab bag of then-current songs. Several featured one clear hit that eclipsed the soundtrack, or occasionally the movie itself. For all their differing approaches, the soundtracks of 1995 epitomized the energy and audacity of the decade, while also establishing tropes for the next 25 years.

The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack Album (1992) set the bar high for the decade. With a 20-week reign at No. 1, it remains the biggest-selling soundtrack of all time(opens in a new tab). Whitney Houston performed six songs on the album, including the titanic power ballad, "I Will Always Love You." (At the 1994 GRAMMYs, the track won the GRAMMY for Record Of The Year and Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female, while the soundtrack itself earned the Album Of The Year award.)

While The Bodyguard magnified their commercial potential, movie soundtracks like Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs (1992) and Pulp Fiction (1994) framed the medium as an artistic showpiece. Throughout the '90s, Tarantino and fellow indie auteurs Paul Thomas Anderson, Richard Linklater and Spike Lee made music a key character in their films. (The latter continues the trend on his latest movie, Da 5 Bloods, alongside six-time GRAMMY-winning composer and trumpeter Terence Blanchard.) Both instincts, for commercial returns and artistic validation, were well-represented in 1995.

Read: 'The Bodyguard' Soundtrack: 25 Years After Whitney Houston's Masterpiece

Batman Forever (1995)epitomized the big-budget, mass-appeal mid-'90s soundtrack. Spanning PJ Harvey to Method Man, the 14-track set employed some tried-and-true tactics. First, only five songs on the track list appear in the movie itself, ushering in a rash of "Music From And Inspired By" soundtracks. Second, its featured artists largely contributed songs you couldn't find on other albums: According to Entertainment Weekly in 1995(opens in a new tab), U2 landed a reported $500,000 advance for "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me(opens in a new tab)," an offcut from the band's Zooropa album sessions.

Most significantly, Batman Forever backed a surprise smash in Seal's "Kiss From A Rose." Originally released as a single in 1994, the ballad blew up as the movie's "love theme." In its music video, Seal croons in the light of the Bat-Signal, intercut with not-very-romantic scenes from the film. Outshining U2, "Kiss From A Rose" reached No. 1 in 1995; one year later, the song won for Song Of The Year, Record Of The Year and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance at the 38th GRAMMY Awards.

Both Bad Boys and Dangerous Minds had their "Kiss From A Rose" equivalent in 1995. Diana King's reggae-fusion jam "Shy Guy(opens in a new tab)" proved the breakout star of Bad Boys, transcending an R&B- and hip-hop-heavy soundtrack. Meanwhile, Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise(opens in a new tab)," featuring singer L.V., the key track on Dangerous Minds, became the top-selling single of 1995; it won the rapper his first, and only, GRAMMY for Best Rap Solo Performance the next year.

Other soundtracks from 1995 endure as perfect documents of their time and place. Cluelesscompiled a cast from '90s rock radio to accompany the adventures of Alicia Silverstone's Cher Horowitz and her high school clique: Counting Crows, Smoking Popes, Cracker and The Muffs. Coolio, the everywhere man of 1995, contributed "Rollin' With My Homies."

From the same city, but a world outside Cher's Beverly Hills bubble, came the Ice Cube- and Chris Tucker-starring Friday. Its soundtrack took a whistle-stop tour of West Coast hip-hop and G-funk via Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Tha Alkaholiks and Mack 10. True to the era, the music video for Dr. Dre's "Keep Their Heads Ringin'" is half stoner comedy, half cheesy action movie.

Waiting To Exhale, the 1995 drama directed by Forest Whitaker, boasted a soundtrack with a clear author. Babyface, the R&B superproducer with 11 GRAMMY wins for his work with the likes of Boyz II Men and Toni Braxton, produced the set in full. Following Babyface's co-producer role on The Bodyguard soundtrack three years prior, Waiting To Exhale featured two new songs from the movie's star, Whitney Houston.

Read: 'Score': Soundtracks take us on an emotional ride

Houston's "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)" and "Why Does It Hurt So Bad" led a track list that also featured Aretha Franklin, TLC, Chaka Khan, Mary J. Blige and then-newcomer Brandy. A powerful showcase of Black women across generations, the soundtrack has prevailed as a standalone work, going on to receive multiple nominations, including Album Of The Year, at the 1997 GRAMMYs. In a crowded year for soundtracks, which also included Dinosaur Jr. founder Lou Barlow's work on Larry Clark's contentious Kids(opens in a new tab), Waiting To Exhale demonstrated the power of a singular vision.

For the most part, the soundtracks of 1995 tried a bit of everything. The previous year, The Crow: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack went all-in on covers, including Nine Inch Nailsoverhauling Joy Division's "Dead Souls(opens in a new tab)." That trend continued into 1995, from Tori Amoscovering R.E.M.'s "Losing My Religion(opens in a new tab)" for Higher Learning to Evan Dando's update of Big Star's "The Ballad Of El Goodo(opens in a new tab)" in Empire Records to Tom Jones gamely taking on Lenny Kravitz's "Are You Gonna Go My Way(opens in a new tab)"' for The Jerky Boys movie. (Is there a more '90s sentence than that?)

Elsewhere, the Mortal Kombat soundtrack blended metal and industrial rock (Fear Factory, Gravity) with dance music (Utah Saints, Orbital). For every Dead Presidents, which zeroed in on '70s funk and soul, there was a Tank Girl, which threw together Bush, Björk, Veruca Salt and Ice-T to match the movie's manic tone.

Continuing from their '90s winning streak, grown-up soundtracks have proven surprisingly resilient. In an echo of Babyface's role on Waiting To Exhale, Kendrick Lamar oversaw production on 2018's chart-topping, multi-GRAMMY-nominated Black Panther: The Album, uniting an A-list cast under his creative direction. On the same front, Beyonce executive-produced and curated The Lion King: The Gift, the soundtrack album for the 2019 remake of the Disney classic, which spotlighted African and Afrobeats artists. In 2016, Taylor Swift and One Direction's Zayn recorded "I Don't Wanna Live Forever (Fifty Shades Darker)," pitching for the movie tie-in bump enjoyed in 1995 by Seal and Coolio. (The millennial stars stopped short of including scenes from the movie in their music video(opens in a new tab).)

Like Batman Forever back in the day, the DC Universe continues to put stock in soundtracks. Both Suicide Squad (2016) and its follow-up, Birds Of Prey (2020), are packed tight with to-the-minute pop, R&B and hip-hop. Each soundtrack reads like a who's who of the musical zeitgeist. In 1995, Mazzy Star, Brandy and U2 grouped up behind Batman. In 2016, Twenty One Pilots, Skrillex and Rick Ross powered the Suicide Squad. In 2020, everyone from Doja Cat to Halsey to YouTube star Maisie Peters form Team Harley Quinn.

As 1995 taught us time and time again, nothing traps a year in amber quite like a movie soundtrack.

Last edited by MeIAmXino; Thu April 1, 2021, 22:26.
            orange clouds roll by ....

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
              I really want Mariah to do cover songs again. She is so good at that. I still love and play I want to know what love is for example. Such a stunning cover.
              That's one of her weakest covers IMO. Sounds unfinished, it ends abruptly.
              I prefer something more rock-ish like BOTH or more R&B experimental-ish like TBO.
              But if I could choose, jazz is the genre where her voice shines the most.
              And there's some amazing songs that she coud cover in that field (some of them she already did live).

Comment

That's one of her weakest covers IMO. Sounds unfinished, it ends abruptly.
                I prefer something more rock-ish like BOTH or more R&B experimental-ish like TBO.
                But if I could choose, jazz is the genre where her voice shines the most.
                And there's some amazing songs that she coud cover in that field (some of them she already did live).
                I just love it. TBO is out of this world tho. and BOTH is outstanding. See, all of her covers are amazing, including One More Try...
                My Chart

Comment

• Comment

I just love it. TBO is out of this world tho. and BOTH is outstanding. See, all of her covers are amazing, including One More Try...

The last song shouldn't be put in the same sentence as the other masterpieces.

Comment

• posting a Scammy's link in the MC base is kinda shady. (irregardless of what they are saying about her, we do not know them).
                      My Chart

Comment

The last song shouldn't be put in the same sentence as the other masterpieces.
                        It's great. I don't care what other people say.
                        My Chart

Comment

posting a Scammy's link in the MC base is kinda shady. (irregardless of what they are saying about her, we do not know them).
                          Yeah, they should be banned from this thread

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                          It's great. I don't care what other people say.
                          Also she's the Queen of live covers:

- With You I'm Born Again
                          - I'll Be There
                          - You & I
                          - IOYK/SOTR Medley
                          - Chain Of Fools (duet)

Comment

Yeah, they should be banned from this thread

Also she's the Queen of live covers:

- With You I'm Born Again
                            - I'll Be There
                            - You & I
                            - IOYK/SOTR Medley
                            - Chain Of Fools (duet)

Que je t'aime was also great and Bowie's Heroes too. I need both songs from her asap.
                            My Chart

Comment

• I do wish Mariah added more of her live versions and live covers to her catalog officially. Some of her songs come to life with the live renditions

I love the WBT/FLAB mashup at the Grammys for example or the Cant Let Go/Love Takes Time mashup from Australia.
                              See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                              See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• This remix of I Still believe have some new vocals I've never heard before!

Reddit | r/MariahCarey: https://www.reddit.com/r/MariahCarey/
                                Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/leoinavalon
                                Instagram: https://instagram.com/leoavalon/

Comment

• ^ Wow! That ISB remix is NICE!

Comment

• Seriously - these remixes/vocals are amazing. Like entirely new songs.

But some of those vocals are surely from another song I've never heard of before.
                                    Last edited by InfoFromAus; Fri April 2, 2021, 12:26.
                                    MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• The Mariah Carey Discography Rate continues with Songs #332 - 291 revealed:
                                      https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music-di...y-rate-300-291
                                      See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by leoavalon View Post
                                        This remix of I Still believe have some new vocals I've never heard before!

Just download stems pack and you will hear all vocals then!

Comment

I really dont care about fake grammy "award". Its not from US people but from paid people who gives award to people who not desrve it. She deserves real award!

Comment

Anytime I find good remixes like this one, created by someone random online, it makes me wonder why she can't have people create remixes like these and make them official...

I also love this acoustic version of VOL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6J_a0IimE

Comment

• Originally posted by ilearnedfromthebest View Post

Just download stems pack and you will hear all vocals then!
                                              where can we get any of her stems?

Comment

Que je t'aime was also great and Bowie's Heroes too. I need both songs from her asap.
                                                I forgot about

- Don't Explain (with her current voice she would kill it... those TECS Tour performances weren't good due to her bronchitis during those first dates)
                                                - Lullaby of Birdland

Her voice was made for jazz wbk.
                                                When she adds jazzy elements, she takes everything to another level.
                                                ScattingRiah always slays.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                                  I do wish Mariah added more of her live versions and live covers to her catalog officially. Some of her songs come to life with the live renditions

I love the WBT/FLAB mashup at the Grammys for example or the Cant Let Go/Love Takes Time mashup from Australia.
                                                  Also YDKWTD/Emotions mash-up from the CAUTION Tour sounded hot.

Comment

I posted this one a few days ago but no one noticed the greatness ot it LOL.

Nice that it's having some love now 'cause it sounds amazing.

It's the "I Still Believe (Stevie J. Explicit Remix - Official Audio) ft. Mocha, Amil" version:

It's my favorite ISB remix.
                                                    There's so much of them.
                                                    Probably her most remixed song with re-sung vocals.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X