Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

My favourite year of all times was 1995. It was the year of me fully grow into my musical self... it was the year in which I refined my (early) music taste and in which I began collecting music for the music itself.

Music from back then and when you experienced it in real time... had something magical and mystical to it. I was still a young kid and so impressionable.. and whenever I saw my idols on TV I was just amazed and in awe.

I think the internet and social media has taken away a lot of the secrets and surprises that music can bring or be about.

I remember even in the EARLIEST 2000s... when Mariah would come to GER and perform on TV here... and I knew about it in advance... it was the ONLY thing on my mind in the week leading up to that event and I would then be sitting in front of the TV with my VHS recorder ready ofc, and watch her perform while my pulse was through the roof and I could feel my heartbeat in the eyes.

What can I say... it was my golden age.
    I literally say this to my friends all the time. There was this mystique surrounding music... waiting for a video release and only
    getting to see it when it was played on one of a few channels a few times a day, at least until the song blew up.
    knowing your favourite artist would be on a tv show and waiting in anticipation for weeks... it was just sublime. So glad I was a 90’s teen.
    the industry today wrecks my head... the kids will never know. #grandpaLee

Comment

The first English-speaking song I absolutely stanned beyond compare was Whitney's IWALY. It took me to a whole new level. It made me do things, like sitting in front of the radio and recording it to a cassette. It was just magical.

I think the 1990s decade was the last decade in which music was magical in the sense that it was appresicated for the music itself and wasn't a popularity contest of just a few acts.

Fron Tina to Paul (McCartney) even those 1950s, 1960s legends still got hit records that even younger people thought were cool. That's unthinkable today.
      Exactly! I watched the Tina documentary the other night and all I could think through the ‘comeback’ part, was that this could
      NEVER happen today. She was almost 50 and was treated exactly like the young new artists of the time. Incredible

Comment

• Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
        I feel like it’s one of those songs, the first time you hear it you feel like you’ve heard it before and it has a powerful message. I really like the studio version!
        The studio version lacks something IMO. I don't know what. I still love it.
        But I think the live performances bring some new life to the song.
        She should have released the Unplugged one and maybe could've done better.

But of course, Make It Happen live UNDUBBED at MSG '95 is the best EVER and that rendition absolutely bodied the studio version.

Comment

• Originally posted by David_Mimi View Post
          Team Tanaka always!

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
          He aged like MILK tho. I mean he was super sexy between 1998-2001 when she tasted his honey... but nowadays... not so much.
          He's been a total mess for so long now.
          He looks terrible due to his lifestyle.
          I'm so glad Mariah left him, he's a total asshole.

Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
          This could never be replicated... never again. It’s quite a sad feeling really. The quality of music and vocalists has diminished considerably.
          But that makes them special.
          The Vocal Trinity won't be touched, EVER.

Comment

97/98 was my favourite musics period in mylife.
            The 90s was strong af but if I have to pick one year, that would be 1997, I mean the year Mariah wrote The Bible.

Comment

• Probably my favourite period when it comes to female artists is 93-96.

Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Madonna, Janet, Alanis, Toni - all amazing, with huge success.

I know that's a relatively long period, but the output was amazing - Music Box, Merry Christmas, Daydream, Bodyguard, Exhale, Bedtime Stories, You'll See, Colour of My Love, janet, Jagged Little Pill, Unbreak My Heart, Confide in Me.

Add Cornflake Girl, One of Us/St Teresa, Garbage, Mother Mother, Sheryl Crow, Someone's Ugly Daughter - it was a great period for female rockers.

MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

I literally say this to my friends all the time. There was this mystique surrounding music... waiting for a video release and only
                getting to see it when it was played on one of a few channels a few times a day, at least until the song blew up.
                knowing your favourite artist would be on a tv show and waiting in anticipation for weeks... it was just sublime. So glad I was a 90’s teen.
                the industry today wrecks my head... the kids will never know. #grandpaLee
                Yeah, this is true.
                I miss that mystique.

Plus the music industry is so fvcked up now. Ugh. But it is what it is.

Glad Mariah was able (or managed) to "adapt" to some extent.

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
                  Probably my favourite period when it comes to female artists is 93-96.

Mariah, Whitney, Celine, Madonna, Janet, Alanis, Toni - all amazing, with huge success.

I know that's a relatively long period, but the output was amazing - Music Box, Merry Christmas, Daydream, Bodyguard, Exhale, Bedtime Stories, You'll See, Colour of My Love, janet, Jagged Little Pill, Unbreak My Heart, Confide in Me.

Add Cornflake Girl, One of Us/St Teresa, Garbage, Mother Mother, Sheryl Crow, Someone's Ugly Daughter - it was a great period for female rockers.

I was a fan of Alanis, I almost forget about it.

And I love how big their songs were... I mena, ACTUAL HITS. And they were replacing each other on the Hot100 with quality music each month or so.

Good times

Comment

• I feel like 2004/2005 was the last time I really enjoyed the music that artists were putting out. Those were great years for me. Then it went downhill slowly till the mess that we have now (bar few exceptions, but they have no real success).

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post

The studio version lacks something IMO. I don't know what. I still love it.
                      But I think the live performances bring some new life to the song.
                      She should have released the Unplugged one and maybe could've done better.

But of course, Make It Happen live UNDUBBED at MSG '95 is the best EVER and that rendition absolutely bodied the studio version.
                      yeah 100%, the energy wasn’t the same in the studio version than the later live versions that followed.

I love the fact it because a staple of her live sets becuase it just brings a different energy to any of the other songs

Comment

I feel like 2004/2005 was the last time I really enjoyed the music that artists were putting out. Those were great years for me. Then it went downhill slowly till the mess that we have now (bar few exceptions, but they have no real success).
                        i was just immersed in 60’s prog rock then but it still felt like new music because there was so much to discover for the first time...

you’re right though, life was becoming ‘digital’ but it still felt like the ‘old’ music industry...
                        Last edited by WaitYourTurn; Mon April 5, 2021, 09:37.

Comment

I was a fan of Alanis, I almost forget about it.

And I love how big their songs were... I mena, ACTUAL HITS. And they were replacing each other on the Hot100 with quality music each month or so.

Good times
                          Bjork shouldn’t be forgotten either from that list. She’s not to everyone’s taste but she changed the landscape of music within her genre and her voice and tone is something else

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                            For me it was 1990:

Mariah: debut

Madonna: I'm Breathless, The Immaculate Collection, Blond Ambition Tour, Dick Tracy, Vogue at the MTV-Awards

Whitney: I'm Your Baby Tonight

Wilson Phillips: debut

En Vogue: debut

Beverley Craven: debut

Hits on the charts by Janet Jackson from her Rhythm Nation 1814 album

HIts on the charts by Paula Abdul from her Forever Your Girl album
                            MIND BLOWING!!!

Comment

I agree. he is humbly in the background (like Mark Sudak was). Justice for Mark. They have been together since 2016 now... 5 years... it's kinda like her 2nd longest relationship ever.

01 - 2008 - 2014 - 6 years - Nick Cannon
                              02 - 2016 - 2021 - 5 years - Bryan Tanaka
                              03 - 1992 - 1997 - 5 years - Tommy Mottola
                              04 - 2004 - 2007 - 3 years - Mark Sudak
                              05 - 1998 - 2001 - 3 years - Luis Miguel
                              06 - 2015 - 2016 - 1 year - James Packer
                              06 - 2001 - 2002 - 1 year - Eminem*
                              07 - 1997 - 2 months - Derek Jeter

Ranked from Hot to NOT
                              01 - Derek
                              02 - Bryan
                              03 - Mark
                              04 - Nick
                              05 - Luis
                              06 - Eminem
                              07 - Tommy
                              08 - James

Ranked from helping her grow as a person:
                              01 - Derek
                              02 - Nick
                              03 - Mark
                              04 - Luis
                              05 - Tommy
                              06 - Bryan
                              07 - James
                              08 - Eminem

Derek simply wins each and every contest. I wish they married and lived happily ever after.
                              Mariah was with Marc in 2003, and considering she was on tour from June that year, it was probably something that started in late 02/early 03 at the latest.

Comment

97/98 was my favourite musics period in my
                                life.

Miseducation, Butterfly, Ok Computer (Radiohead), writings on the wall... the list goes on and on and on
                                Word. Add in #1’s with “Sweetheart”, Janet: The Velvet Rope, Madonna: Ray of Light, Whitney: My Love is Your Love, Brandy: Never Say Never, R.Kelly: R.Kelly, DMX’: It’s Dark and Hell is Hot, Jay-Z’: Hard Knock Life 2... you’re right, the list goes on and on, it was an absolutely legendary couple of years. I feel bad not mentioning a whole load of other classics like Enter the Dru, Room 112, Keep the Faith, Embrya, All Saints, Shola Much Love, Another Level, Urban Hymns, Be Here now.. there was something in the water in those two years.

Writings on the Wall was 1999 though (in its first incarnation). The “Destiny’s Child” album came out in 98.
                                Last edited by PJDoubleu; Mon April 5, 2021, 02:31.

Comment

• What if the quality of Mariahs albums depends on who she is with romantically at the time. Like a muse-

Mariah Carey (single)
                                  Emotions, Musicbox, MC, Daydream (Tommy)
                                  Butterfly (Derek)
                                  Rainbow (Luis)
                                  Glitter (Eminem)
                                  Charmbracelet (Damizza)
                                  TEOM (Marc)
                                  E=mc2, Memoirs, MCIIY, MIAMTEC (Nick)
                                  Caution (Bryan)

her two marriages both produced four albums including a Christmas album.

Comment

yeah 100%, the energy wasn’t the same in the studio version than the later live versions that followed.

I love the fact it because a staple of her live sets becuase it just brings a different energy to any of the other songs
                                    Exactly.

I hope she stops lipping the climax tho. That's kinda an insult to the song.

In any case, I prefer if she only does the bridge part like on AA Tour and slay the hell out of it.

Her growls were are their peak. Bey who?

Comment

• Damizza was even a thing?

Anyway, Charmie/? - Butterfly/Derek - Caution/Bryan >>>

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post
                                        What if the quality of Mariahs albums depends on who she is with romantically at the time. Like a muse-

Mariah Carey (single)
                                        Emotions, Musicbox, MC, Daydream (Tommy)
                                        Butterfly (Derek)
                                        Rainbow (Luis)
                                        Glitter (Eminem)
                                        Charmbracelet (Damizza)
                                        TEOM (Marc)
                                        E=mc2, Memoirs, MCIIY, MIAMTEC (Nick)
                                        Caution (Bryan)

her two marriages both produced four albums including a Christmas album.
                                        Einstein was pre-Nick. I believe she was still with Mark.

Comment

• Random thought: i wish TikTok would discover Stay Long Love You lol

still think it sounds like a smash.

Comment

• Justin B just dropped an EP.

I know some people hate on him, but I really like his music and I would love a collabo with Mariah. They really like each other so it's possible (and they already worked together two times, but one for a remake of AIW and the other one is forgettable to say the least, I mean, I don't know what was she thinking, tho I think I prefer the WYM Remix version over the OG).

I always pictured Mariah on a Purpose track. It would have worked.

Comment

• Originally posted by lucassss View Post
                                              Random thought: i wish TikTok would discover Stay Long Love You lol

still think it sounds like a smash.
                                              Yasss, it's a massive bop
                                              It deserves more love from the lambs btw, it's quite underappreciated in the fandom.

Comment

• I think she was with Marc until she met Nick or something happened right before she met Nick but it was all so fast. I do think Love Story and a few other songs were written with Nick as the muse tho.

Comment

• That was quite weird tbh.
                                                  I think she was still with Mark on early '08, and then she met Nick in the process and they married a weeks later. LOL.

Comment

Damizza was even a thing?

Anyway, Charmie/? - Butterfly/Derek - Caution/Bryan >>>
                                                    Damizza wishes and so does candy guy
                                                    MARIAH

Comment

Working...
                                                    X