No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That didn't stop Elton John who's gearing up for another Britney rehash of an old song. Age shouldn't stop ones hunger from success. I don't doubt for a minute Mariah craves the spotlight and she clearly loves it when the stats come.

It's possible, you just need to release the right song that has the appeal. Cher proved it and Mariah, Madonna all have it in them.

They just need to stop toying with fringe sounds that are no longer commercial and give the world the nostalgia and remind them why they fall in loved with them in the first place. For Mariah the world loves her the most when she infuses pop and RNB.

Mariah's sweetspot is exactly what Fantasy delivered in the past. She needs to revamp that spirit into something new.

She just needs the drive and craft the right song (a bit less of her and bit more of what the audience wants).
    Last edited by skylynx; Fri July 29, 2022, 15:47.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aries88 View Post
      I‘m sorry, but I hope Mariah never ever releases an album like Renaissance… gosh, Break my Soul is the only listenable song on the album and its not even stellar. The Rest? Jesus, I couldnt even listen to one song from Start to finish - damn noisy, boring voice, I dont know how one could even dance to those songs.

Say what you want about Mariah (she has no clue about Marketing & sadly isnt able to choose or trust professionals), but her Albums are ALWAYS a on point.
      I'm glad I'm not the only one. BmS and the one based on the Donna Summer sample were the only ones I could get through without skipping ahead. I'm sure the Bey fans are over the moon about the project, good for them. I guess I'm just out of touch with current music in this style, oh well, it is what it is.

Back on topic:

Good (=dated) dance mixes that still have a flowing melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL99qwyajQs

Comment

• I've been listening to this song alot today Always Remember Us This way. Beutiful song (and my favourite from A Star Is Born)

I started thinking how fabulous it would be if Mariah has something like this for a movie soundtrack. i.e. straight singing, strong classic melodies and emotionally charged with easy to sing lyrics.

Then it reminds me she has Right to Dream, but again, a tad too stripped back and chord progression probably not on the same level but that bridge and guitar breakdown does have something.

I wonder if she'll ever go back to this sound.

Last edited by skylynx; Fri July 29, 2022, 16:05.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
          That didn't stop Elton John who's gearing up for another Britney rehash of an old song. Age shouldn't stop ones hunger from success. I don't doubt for a minute Mariah craves the spotlight and she clearly loves it when the stats come.

It's possible, you just need to release the right song that has the appeal. Cher proved it and Mariah, Madonna all have it in them.

They just need to stop toying with fringe sounds that are no longer commercial and give the world the nostalgia and remind them why they fall in loved with them in the first place. For Mariah the world loves her the most when she infuses pop and RNB.

Mariah's sweetspot is exactly what Fantasy delivered in the past. She needs to revamp that spirit into something new.

She just needs the drive and craft the right song (a bit less of her and bit more of what the audience wants).
          I agree. Age has nothing to do with it. I hate Madonna but I admire her energy and always hustle for work no matter her age. Madonna at Mariah’s current age was doing so much and working harder than Mariah ever did in the last decade.
          some lambs talk about Mariah’s age like she’s in her death bed in her 80-90s yo but she’s in her early 50s she’s still young. She could still do so much and be ambitious about her career but she’s giving zero energy. But if she’s happy and fine with it there’s nothing we can do

Comment

• There go to the Bey's thread

Comment

That's why we need Mariah's pop-RnB melodies back to wash this nonsence.

The thirst is real
              Agreed, Mariah just needs to be herself while putting a fresh spin on her upbeat 90s pop-RnB. She can get enough interest in the classic songs (viral on Tik or from movies sample in other songs etc.) to make me think she'd have a shot with the right song (a new song). Probably wouldn't be easy though, the whole package would need to be delivered cleanly and polished. 90s nostalgia is starting to gain some traction, that might help too.

Comment

• Big energy remix down 7 places to #35 in the UK ..still in top 40 after 17 weeks is great.

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post

I agree. Age has nothing to do with it. I hate Madonna but I admire her energy and always hustle for work no matter her age. Madonna at Mariah’s current age was doing so much and working harder than Mariah ever did in the last decade.
                  some lambs talk about Mariah’s age like she’s in her death bed in her 80-90s yo but she’s in her early 50s she’s still young. She could still do so much and be ambitious about her career but she’s giving zero energy. But if she’s happy and fine with it there’s nothing we can do
                  I can agree with some of what you’re saying, but they’re very different artists. Madonna relies on big visuals and constant reinvention for her new work and ultimately her tours which are what’s the most lucrative for her in the last 10 or so years. Mariah’s most lucrative venture is Christmas in the last 10 years and we can’t say she hasn’t been ambitious about it in the last ten years. All we complain about here is how much she pushes the Christmas thing these days but it’s successful for her so why not.

Yes it’s been a while since Caution, but that album will always restore my faith she can deliver a masterful body of work still. She also wrote and promoted a book since then and gave us a SHIT ton of stuff for MC30. It’s not like “going into the vault” was just her pulling up old files on a computer. She really went digging.
                  funny how one can learn
                  to grow numb to the madness
                  and block it away

Comment

• Mod Note:

1. We have allowed some leeway in the past for discussions for big releases but remember to please centre Mariah in conversations especially when it relates to other artists.

2. It is unhelpful to purposefully midlead fans, especially with intent to get people riled up. A lot of people still use this thread as a source of information.

mm2912 has automatically been banned for two days after accumulating 75 infraction points.
                    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by LambChild View Post

I can agree with some of what you’re saying, but they’re very different artists. Madonna relies on big visuals and constant reinvention for her new work and ultimately her tours which are what’s the most lucrative for her in the last 10 or so years. Mariah’s most lucrative venture is Christmas in the last 10 years and we can’t say she hasn’t been ambitious about it in the last ten years. All we complain about here is how much she pushes the Christmas thing these days but it’s successful for her so why not.

Yes it’s been a while since Caution, but that album will always restore my faith she can deliver a masterful body of work still. She also wrote and promoted a book since then and gave us a SHIT ton of stuff for MC30. It’s not like “going into the vault” was just her pulling up old files on a computer. She really went digging.
                      It would be interesting to see some numbers on how lucrative it really is. Obviously these big tie-ins with Maccas and Walkers help the bottom line. though we have still yet to see all that work rub-off on streaming. it's not like she has garnered a significant increase in streams.

Also that Christmas Special from 2 years ago, does anyone outside the lambs even know about that anymore LOL.

OSR streams don't show a continued love of Mariah music outisde AIWFCIY. Last year FILAC flopped terribly. So much for launching it as the song for Christmas 2021.

Sometimes i get the feeling she's two afraid to delve back into the AIWFCIY sound. Obviously lightning cannot be caught in a bottle twicce necessarily but she has shown many times she can rehash the same formula and make it a success (Dreamlover, Heartbreaker). I'd like to see her try again.

Comment

• Mariah already has the most successful Xmas song in history. She doesn't need another one. She worked years to make AIWFC into what it is today.
                        " Princess of Pop Katy Perry "

Comment

• Mariah’s off enjoying her life and her children but some fans are still living in the hope that she’s going to have another commercial comeback. As she said herself “how many does she need?” She’s done it all and more. Whether she can or should or needs to, whatever Mariah will do going forward will be on her terms and when she decides. She can be as active, as interested in promotion as she wants, try as many thing as she wants to get another hit or she can enjoy the fruits of her prolific career and reappear sporadically which is what she’s been doing for the last 7 years.

As much and all as we would all love another comeback, it just is not realistic given her age, her place in the industry and just the cost attached to what it would take to bring her back commercially. She doesn’t need to be that thirsty. Let her enjoy herself now and we should just enjoy the moments when they come.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eamon View Post
                            Mariah’s off enjoying her life and her children but some fans are still living in the hope that she’s going to have another commercial comeback. As she said herself “how many does she need?” She’s done it all and more. Whether she can or should or needs to, whatever Mariah will do going forward will be on her terms and when she decides. She can be as active, as interested in promotion as she wants, try as many thing as she wants to get another hit or she can enjoy the fruits of her prolific career and reappear sporadically which is what she’s been doing for the last 7 years.

As much and all as we would all love another comeback, it just is not realistic given her age, her place in the industry and just the cost attached to what it would take to bring her back commercially. She doesn’t need to be that thirsty. Let her enjoy herself now and we should just enjoy the moments when they come.
                            so well said. she's like in her 50's at this point. she probably wants to eat whatever she wants and not have to worry about the way she looks. if she were to be promoting something, that would mean being seen and on camera, and she's probably sick of her yo-yo diets. haha. sounds so bad of me saying this, but as much as i love her, i feel like that's how she views things. According to how she looks.

Comment

• We need some bangers.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                                We need some bangers.
                                +1. Heavy bops with heavy bass and beats. Yass... and a cool melody on loop. Double yas. And new catch phrase... dem chickens is ash... lol. yas yas.
                                My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by Aries88 View Post
                                  I‘m sorry, but I hope Mariah never ever releases an album like Renaissance… gosh, Break my Soul is the only listenable song on the album and its not even stellar. The Rest? Jesus, I couldnt even listen to one song from Start to finish - damn noisy, boring voice, I dont know how one could even dance to those songs.

Say what you want about Mariah (she has no clue about Marketing & sadly isnt able to choose or trust professionals), but her Albums are ALWAYS a on point.
                                  Nonetheless, Beyonce will probably sweep the Grammy awards next year...
                                  Yeah... Mariah knows what her fans want and she never fails to deliver..
                                  Last edited by Anderson; Fri July 29, 2022, 18:04.
                                  Mariah Carey x BTS
                                  #20th No.1

Comment

We need some bangers.
                                    Like Migrate
                                    Mariah Carey x BTS
                                    #20th No.1

Comment

It would be interesting to see some numbers on how lucrative it really is. Obviously these big tie-ins with Maccas and Walkers help the bottom line. though we have still yet to see all that work rub-off on streaming. it's not like she has garnered a significant increase in streams.

Also that Christmas Special from 2 years ago, does anyone outside the lambs even know about that anymore LOL.

OSR streams don't show a continued love of Mariah music outisde AIWFCIY. Last year FILAC flopped terribly. So much for launching it as the song for Christmas 2021.

That's a very dramatic take on things. IF OSR gains just as much as last season. it will hit 80 million on Spotify this year, pushing for 100 million in December of 2023. The song even re-charted in some international markets last season. For a new Xmas song... or for a Mariah song, these are good statistics. FILAC... if it gains as much as last year (it will be more hopefully), will also reach 20 million streams after Xmas 2022. Compare that to her catalogue songs, even some #1's which have also yet to reach the 20m threshold. #B has JUST hit 100 million streams and needed 9 years to do that. OSR will do it in 4. Even BER which is currently in decline will probably hit 100m in 2 years.

Yes, the very big new song is hard to get, but it's not like that her music doesn't make any waves. It does (especially her Xms stuff). After this season half of the original Merry Xmas album will be at 100m.

Also, my two maves Florence and Paolo would dream of getting those mediocre Mariah streams on Spotify. Most acts these days, apart from the big streamers, get these mediocre streams and they continue to make great music. It's just unfortunate that some of the streaming era kids get all the bulk of streaming success with often forgettable and stale music while the legends could release the most creative music and get nothing. But that's the way it is.

Hopefully, Mariah will give us some more MC30 treats. <3
                                      My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post

Like Migrate
                                        I still love the song.
                                        My Chart

Comment

• AIW going to be THE most successful female single this decade in a few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

The fact the Anitta collab was actually with Missy Elliot really threw a spanner in the works !!
                                            I tried to warn you all from getting ur hopes up

Comment

• Looking very baron on the right hand side.

That Whitney I Will Always Love You album is performing quite well recently.

Almost all the 80-90s divas had self-titled debuts. We should count Celine's though cause she really didn't break through the US market until her self-titled album....and let's not forget about Toni.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyButterMC View Post

I tried to warn you all from getting ur hopes up
                                                I never thought for a second that colllab was with Mariah.
                                                " Princess of Pop Katy Perry "

Comment

We need some bangers.
                                                  From your mouth to god’s ears! #IPray

Comment

• 25th Anniversary of Honey

This is the start of the 25th Anniversary of the Butterfly era.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X