Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...os-1235387920/

Meanwhile, “Bros” is targeting a box office debut of $8 million to $10 million this weekend. If projections hold, that’s a mediocre result. But the film only cost Universal $22 million to make, so it’s not a financially risky proposition. And whether “Bros” soars or stumbles at the box office, it will have shattered glass ceilings. It’s the first gay rom-com to be given a theatrical release by a major studio, the first with an all-openly LGBTQ cast, and Billy Eichner is the first openly gay man to ever write and star in a Hollywood movie. To promote the film, Eichner even revived his popular “Billy on the Street” video segments, something that he said he would only do for a special occasion.

While the box office fortunes favor “Smile,” “Bros” seems to be winning with critics. The rom-com currently has a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes, compared to “Smile’s” (still strong) 75%.

Comment

• He wearing the Glitter tshirt

Comment

• I hope Mariah goes on the Drew Barrymore show
        (and Jhud show)

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post
          He wearing the Glitter tshirt

we Love you Billy!

I wish him all the best with this film. Regardless of the box office numbers, Its already a ground breaking success !

Comment

• The critics are incredible. Too bad it’s not translating well for box office. Maybe it gets so longevity with some word of mouth. Can’t wait to watch it tho it doesn’t have a release date in my country yet

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post
                  The critics are incredible. Too bad it’s not translating well for box office. Maybe it gets so longevity with some word of mouth.
                  It's a sleeper hit.

Maybe non-LGBTQ people are hesitant to watch it?

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by SmartIsNewSexy View Post

It's a sleeper hit.

Maybe non-LGBTQ people are hesitant to watch it?
                      I think the issue is the timing. It’s October = Halloween for the gays . I’m not in the mood to go see a romantic comedy but I’ll force myself this weekend. Hearing Mariah music in theatre is a phenomenal experience in itself!

Comment

• Originally posted by Xmas View Post

I think the issue is the timing. It’s October = Halloween for the gays . I’m not in the mood to go see a romantic comedy but I’ll force myself this weekend. Hearing Mariah music in theatre is a phenomenal experience in itself!
                        I went to see Free guy in IMAX and hearing Mariah with that incredible audio system out loud was like religion experience

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhomeyn View Post
                          I understand she does not OWN her masters. She indeed OWNS her publishing. From my research, after 35 years, the masters revert to the artist. Yet, Mariah states in interviews that she has to approve samples of her music. I believe her publishing deal gives her more power than Taylor. I ponder if MC is fighting to get her master back...
                          What's the diffence between owning masters and publishing?
                          Previously known as sYair

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair
                          www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

Nice to see how Mariah stands by and supports the people that have treated her right.
                            Previously known as sYair

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair
                            www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sebastian View Post

What's the diffence between owning masters and publishing?

Think of a song as having two revenue streams - publishing is the money generated for the songwriting portion (or entity who took ownership of that credit due to a deal). Because Mariah wrote everything she’s ever recorded that’s not a cover, money was collected and paid to her every time her music was played on the radio, tv, anywhere public. Publishing revenue was also collected for every CD, cassette, vinyl, download and to a lesser extent now, stream of her music. Mariah has deservedly made a massive amount of wealth from being a songwriter. The money generated in publishing while physical media sales were still strong was astronomical. The publishing income also meant that Mariah didn’t have to hustle on the road like her peers Whitney and Celine who were seeing none of that money unless they had the occasional co-write or requested a cut to record a song like Celine did. High profile songwriters like Diane Warren who wrote hits for both weren’t sharing publishing with them though. Songwriters made bank until Napster and illegal downloading took hold.

Owning the master refers to the ultimate ownership of the work which is almost always the record label. They control how and when a song can be used and receive the payment for that (songwriters also have to sign off on sampling though). How much an artist is paid, if at all, when a song is used depends on their individual record deal. That Mariah has a say in how her Sony masters can be used is very unusual since they are outright ‘owned’ by Sony. That she co-owns her IDJ masters from Emancipation to MIAM is amazing and shows the power she has. It’s almost unheard of and means even more of a revenue percentage for her!

Comment

• first time ever seeing this and it’s one of the best performances of this song!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post

first time ever seeing this and it’s one of the best performances of this song!
                                  Holy shit, she was incredible

Comment

Comment

• That voice. Seriously one of the most pleasant in the music industry to me. (Well... objectively )

She sounds beautiful. She looks beautiful.

And ATYNAF is that song.
                                      MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post

Her mid-low range here is fire. Really like it
                                        Awwww, love this.. she dubbed a little I guess but it's so subtle you won't notice. Her toooooooonnne!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post

36 seconds
                                          Unbelievable breath control...
                                          Katrina's range and agility are like prime Mariah, they're out of this world. Hope she finds her way to be noticed by Mimi. She's a big fan.

Comment

• Holly f... that AYNAF
                                            The resonance, the tone, connectedness.. and such detailed care for every single note! studio-level quality
                                            I can't even know what to say...

Comment

If you ever needed reminding why you love Mariah - this will do it! I’d never seen this before either. Mariah sang AYNAF live quite a lot when promoting the single. You know an artists’ catalog is dense when a song this good gets lost in the shuffle. That chorus is just epic.

I love seeing such an effortless live performance too. It’s crazy to think just how different she’d sing this a year and a half later!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mckenry View Post

Katrina's range and agility are like prime Mariah, they're out of this world. Hope she finds her way to be noticed by Mimi. She's a big fan.
                                                Morissette Amon, Katrina and Regine Velasquez are my favorite Filipino singers...
                                                They are just like superhuman being lol.. IMO they don't suffer by comparison with the vocal trinity.
                                                Soft heavenly eyes gazed into me
                                                Transcending space and time

Comment

• Originally posted by Xmas View Post

Yes, it should've been a Spring or Summer release. Autumn into Halloween is a bit weird. But anyway, hopefully it'll find its audience overtime. It's not like this is some sort of blocbuster.

And also LGBT in the mainstream is still a hard sell.

Comment

Exactly.

Its doing great for its genre.
                                                    How do the numbers compare to other LGBTQ films (brokeback Mountain, moonlight, call me by your name...)

Bros wasn't a big budget film, so it will easily make profit.

O/T smile is a Great film! Creepy and scary. One of the best horror films I've seen in a long time.
                                                    Well all those are more independent awards focused movies with quite serious subject matters. They all opened in limited released and expanded overtime.

Moonlight opened in mid-October though I don't think it was even marketed that strongly as an LGBT movie. The other two had the star power behind them.

Brokeback Mountain - $83m Domestic
                                                    Moonlight - $28m
                                                    Call Me By Your Name - $18m
                                                    Carol - $13m

So as you can see, LGBT doens't even have a history of big grosses even with major stars. Let alone a fully LGBT cast which is usually straight to DVD or streaming.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X