Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by lsjxk View Post

    I love that the Emotions album was Mariah’s first million seller in Japan! While the title track was a hit, the album unfairly struggled to get anywhere near the sales of the debut in the rest of the world. It’s one of Mariah’s most underrated albums but Japan *got* it.

    I remember #1’s being such a monster there when it came out. It was a really fun era.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by MattyOj View Post


      I love that the Emotions album was Mariah’s first million seller in Japan! While the title track was a hit, the album unfairly struggled to get anywhere near the sales of the debut in the rest of the world. It’s one of Mariah’s most underrated albums but Japan *got* it.

      I remember #1’s being such a monster there when it came out. It was a really fun era.
      None of the girls (bar Adele in the UK) we know as "western" pop stars have ever sold over 1 million albums in a single country outside the US in its debut week.

      #1's sold 1,040,000 copies in week 1 in Japan - unheard of for a non-Asian act.

      It's such a legendary achievement. It also turned #1's into the album with her highest ever 1st week sales... with around 1,6 million.
      My Chart

      Comment


      • Originally posted by stevyy View Post

        None of the girls (bar Adele in the UK) we know as "western" pop stars have ever sold over 1 million albums in a single country outside the US in its debut week.

        #1's sold 1,040,000 copies in week 1 in Japan - unheard of for a non-Asian act.

        It's such a legendary achievement. It also turned #1's into the album with her highest ever 1st week sales... with around 1,6 million.
        It's incredible that she sold in the first week the amount that Butterfly sold since its release up to that date. Japanese really love compilation albums I guess!
        Previously known as sYair

        Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair
        www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

        Comment


        • #1's is EVERYTHING!


          The album cover is perfect
          the best compilation hands down.

          can we scrap #1 to infinity and just re-release #1's with the iconic original cover.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by TheRealest View Post


            a forgotten gem with great vocals
            I LOVE 100%

            i will always think of it as the Theme song to precious



            I wish they release it on streaming services

            Comment


            • Originally posted by lsjxk View Post
              Wow @ avril !

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SmartIsNewSexy View Post

                Wow @ avril !
                Mariah's heiress... they went from wholesome MIMI with the ballads, to pop-punk Avril. Queens.
                My Chart

                Comment


                • 100% should've been on Rarities, instead of the lame Close my eyes remake...

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by SmartIsNewSexy View Post
                    100% should've been on Rarities, instead of the lame Close my eyes remake...
                    Right and Imperfect

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by SmartIsNewSexy View Post
                      100% should've been on Rarities, instead of the lame Close my eyes remake...
                      100% is already on streaming (at least in the US)

                      There For Me should’ve been on the Rarities
                      funny how one can learn
                      to grow numb to the madness
                      and block it away

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by lsjxk View Post
                        Mariah's Asian success transcended the borders of Japan: Especially further East Asian markets approved of her music output: As such, she managed to sell several million albums in countries like South Korea and Taiwan, too - easily becoming the most successful female artist in those countries as well.

                        Aside from these markets, even South-Asian countries like Malaysia - although not quite as much as Japan - showed some true love for Mariah, where her album #1's was one of the very few international releases to dominate the national album chart in the 90s - appearing on the list for more than half a year!

                        Maybe there will never be another non-Asian western act who could duplicate Mariah's level success in all Pacific and South East Asia.

                        ​​​​​​ Mariah's The Rarities was still charting on Taiwan chart after 17 weeks at no. 5.

                        That's called impact, for a 50 old year legacy R&B artist. A compilation albums with scrapped material with such huge longevity. Even Ariana Positions, and Miley's Plastic Hearts were below it.
                        Mariah is a MONSTER in Asia who has devoured every single artist. In Japan she managed to devour MJ too, as well as Elvis and The Beatles, having no male or female western act dominating her success in that continent.. But there is no continent where her female peers have defeated MJ or The Beatles.

                        Comment


                        • She’s so talented. How can you not stan

                          Comment



                          • Soft heavenly eyes gazed into me
                            Transcending space and time

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                              The thing is, When Mariah sang a song first (her own songs) and another female voice is covering it, it never ever sounds as good bc they all lack the husky, buttery tone. Those runs mean nothing to me when the tone is not there.

                              Only Whitney and male acts can or could do a Mariah song justice. That's my opinion.
                              My Chart

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                                She’s so talented. How can you not stan
                                I agree, that is why I find it so shocking that she had such a hard time in Europe (at the beginning of her career) and then faded quite qickly in the 2000s and never recovered when Asia was stanning for her just as much - if not more - than the US or North America as a whole.

                                MC has had 4 albums selling in excess of 4 million copies in Asia (#1's, Merry Xmas, Daydream and Music Box - with #1's even hitting more than 5,5 million and MC being close to 5m)... while in Europe she only got 1 blockbuster album, Music Box (at 8m+) and Daydream (3,5m) and #1's (3m). Europe was a much bigger music market.

                                IF she would have sold as much in Europe as in Asia, the equivalent numbers should have been 10m+ for Music Box, 6 million for the other two).

                                Rainbow, #1's, CB, Merry Xmas...

                                they all had this weird thing of underperforming in one of the 3 big EU markets.

                                Rainbow did 250k in the UK, but did 500k in France and 350k in Germany
                                CB did 120k in UK, 260k in France and 100k in Germany
                                #1's did 750k in UK, 750k in France and 350k in Germany.
                                Merry Xmas did 350k in UK, 100k in France, 350k in GER and 450k in Italy. (France wtf).

                                And then Daydream did stall in all three, 800k in UK, 800k in France and 600k in GER.

                                Queen desrved more in Europe.

                                And TEOM...
                                650k in UK, 200k in France, 100k in GER... (GER, wtf).
                                My Chart

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by stevyy View Post

                                  The thing is, When Mariah sang a song first (her own songs) and another female voice is covering it, it never ever sounds as good bc they all lack the husky, buttery tone. Those runs mean nothing to me when the tone is not there.

                                  Only Whitney and male acts can or could do a Mariah song justice. That's my opinion.
                                  This. The raspy, buttery tone in that amazing/powerful belt. It's not just replicating the runs

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by LambChild View Post

                                    100% is already on streaming (at least in the US)
                                    No it’s not?

                                    Comment


                                    • Wow! They’ve finally made a pitch editing software that keep’s the singer’s natural tone without adding artifacts, even when going 5 semitones up! Goodbye AutoTune and Melodyne

                                      Of course Mariah doesn’t need pitch correction, but if she is ever having a perfectionist moment in studio, this would be the ultimate for her and for us, so she sounds like Mariah no matter what!

                                      https://www.synchroarts.com/products/repitch/overview
                                      Last edited by allygdale; Thu October 6, 2022, 19:06.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by SmartIsNewSexy View Post
                                        #1's is EVERYTHING!


                                        The album cover is perfect
                                        the best compilation hands down.

                                        can we scrap #1 to infinity and just re-release #1's with the iconic original cover.
                                        Regardless of the cover #1 to infinity is an incredible compilation with the added number 1’s

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by naughtynae View Post

                                          Regardless of the cover #1 to infinity is an incredible compilation with the added number 1’s
                                          #1's has a special place in my heart bc of When You Believe (my alltime #1 most played song). I own 3 copies of #1's, my first and original edition was worn out after a few years. <3

                                          If she ever does another compilation album, I want new or unreleased music on it again.
                                          My Chart

                                          Comment


                                          • She needs to bring back Against all odds. I listen to this and just melt away. The voice, the technique

                                            Everything, it only fades...

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by Marchum View Post

                                              No it’s not?
                                              It’s been on Apple Music for a while.

                                              https://music.apple.com/us/album/100...0?i=1444860672
                                              funny how one can learn
                                              to grow numb to the madness
                                              and block it away

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                                                Wow! They’ve finally made a pitch editing software that keep’s the singer’s natural tone without adding artifacts, even when going 5 semitones up! Goodbye AutoTune and Melodyne

                                                Of course Mariah doesn’t need pitch correction, but if she is ever having a perfectionist moment in studio, this would be the ultimate for her and for us, so she sounds like Mariah no matter what!

                                                https://www.synchroarts.com/products/repitch/overview
                                                This is pricey but might be worth it for me. And it works with the DAW I use (Ableton Live 11).

                                                I have reasonably good pitch, but any imperfections are so distracting and really irk me when I listen to myself.

                                                Ally, do you record and/or produce music? You seem very knowledgeable about the tech.
                                                You donít have to be afraid of what you are!

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by stevyy View Post

                                                  The thing is, When Mariah sang a song first (her own songs) and another female voice is covering it, it never ever sounds as good bc they all lack the husky, buttery tone. Those runs mean nothing to me when the tone is not there.

                                                  Only Whitney and male acts can or could do a Mariah song justice. That's my opinion.
                                                  i agree. When mariah sings in full voice, there is a great balance of dark and light tones. Most people period cannot sing mariah songs well. Men usually end up not mixing well enough and end up singing the higher notes in falsetto or haven’t learned to lighten up their chest voice and end up pulling it too high causing a strained sound.

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Can we please acknowledge again that:

                                                    a) Mariah is amazingly talented and gifted
                                                    b) Mariah's voice at her best, and her tone are untouchable and are never duplicated
                                                    c) Lead The Way is a beautiful ballad
                                                    d) Glitter is a great and underrated album
                                                    e) You should stream Glitter today !!!
                                                    MESMARIAHSING!

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X