No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memoirs has a lot to do with Nick, it is pretty obvious. But she did not want anyone reading into their newish relationship so she always diverted the questions at the time. Remember the Barbara Walters interview where she turns to him very candidly and asks him- Can I trust you??

The songs that seems to be very personal (specific):

Betcha
    Obsessed
    HATEU
    Candy Bling
    Ribbon
    Inseparable
    Its a Wrap (written without a co-writer)
    The Impossible
    Languishing

Comment

• ---

Comment

• good to know (i like the show). I'm still highly mad tho that Mariah didn't get a Glee episode when Britney (2), Madonna, Michael and Whitney all had at least 1.

My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
          good to know (i like the show). I'm still highly mad tho that Mariah didn't get a Glee episode when Britney (2), Madonna, Michael and Whitney all had at least 1.
          She wasn't releasing her music back then hence why they only used cover songs in the episode in which they featured her in the vs. Nicki Minaj one.
          See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
          See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• WIB just missed the top 40 this week and ahead of 24KGOLDN by just ONE spin!

Rhythmic Mediabase published weekly chart:

41 (43) - Where I Belong
            467 spins (+96)
            1.016AI

Chart run:
            47-43-41

Comment

• I'm mad at the fact that we don't have any footage from the IKWYW live performances with Busta from '03 (except for a very short snippet).

They performed the song at least twice in big events (Summer Jam & Z100). How is possible?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                I'm mad at the fact that we don't have any footage from the IKWYW live performances with Busta from '03 (except for a very short snippet).

They performed the song at least twice in big events (Summer Jam & Z100). How is possible?!
                Not as many people had cell phones or cell phones that could record videos in 2003, not a lot of places to upload, and if it was recorded professionally they may not have the streaming rights from the artists and labels to release them

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                  Not as many people had cell phones or cell phones that could record videos in 2003, not a lot of places to upload, and if it was recorded professionally they may not have the streaming rights from the artists and labels to release them
                  That's not an excuse LOL, we have raw footage from 1993, I mean.

The Z100 performance was professionally recorded btw.

Comment

That's not an excuse LOL, we have raw footage from 1993, I mean.

The Z100 performance was professionally recorded btw.
                    If Z100 performance was professionally recorded, it’s probably not out because the company would have to pay the labels money to get the rights to stream it

They must do that ahead of time now

Comment

• Sometimes I get so sad that I’ll never be able to hear Mariah Carey’s voice for the first time ever again. I still remember the first time I heard “We Belong Together” and had to double take because her voice just seemed unreal. I still listen to her almost everyday but let me tell you, It used to be a heavenly experience finding a new song or performance of hers to listen to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imopink1 View Post
                        Sometimes I get so sad that I’ll never be able to hear Mariah Carey’s voice for the first time ever again. I still remember the first time I heard “We Belong Together” and had to double take because her voice just seemed unreal. I still listen to her almost everyday but let me tell you, It used to be a heavenly experience finding a new song or performance of hers to listen to.
                        When I first her in 1994... my soul left my body and I was reborn.
                        My Chart

Comment

• TEOM 499,853,202 streams.

It will surpass 500 million tomorrow.
                          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by Imopink1 View Post
                            Sometimes I get so sad that I’ll never be able to hear Mariah Carey’s voice for the first time ever again. I still remember the first time I heard “We Belong Together” and had to double take because her voice just seemed unreal. I still listen to her almost everyday but let me tell you, It used to be a heavenly experience finding a new song or performance of hers to listen to.
                            I know exactly what you mean. I think back to the Butterfly era, hearing some of those tracks for the first time, feeling like her voice
                            could literally do anything. I mean tracks like Whenever You Call,
                            vocals that even today shock me. And coupled with the anticipation of her singing live like Butterfly on SNL. Even interviews with her had a sense of mystery and mystique because there was not all that social media. There was no memoir about her life and no social media. She was like this supernatural woman where you imagined her living in a giant Sony corporation with untold wealth. Those were the days...

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                              When I first her in 1994... my soul left my body and I was reborn.
                              The first time I heard her I couldn't believe that voice was real. Damn.

Comment

• P.S. I hope one day I can see her live. As I should.

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                TEOM 499,853,202 streams.

It will surpass 500 million tomorrow.
                                Slay

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

P.S. I hope one day I can see her live. As I should.
                                      I can't believe she cancelled like 1 day before the show....
                                      I saw her in 1999 in Musimundo, where she signed my Rainbow CD, and maybe I'll die with that just being my only time seeng here in person :(, but not hearing her sing...

CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                                      FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• I’m in dire need of an acapella snippet or something

Comment

• Comment

• Re the Memoirs discussion -

It was a surprise there was so much anger on that album.

But remember she had a miscarriage two months before she started recording it. I always considered it a project she threw herself into to keep busy while she grieved.

The anger on so many songs may have simply been how her grief manifested itself. In that regard, it’s incredibly personal.

Comment

• Originally posted by firefly_86 View Post
                                              Re the Memoirs discussion -

It was a surprise there was so much anger on that album.

But remember she had a miscarriage two months before she started recording it. I always considered it a project she threw herself into to keep busy while she grieved.

The anger on so many songs may have simply been how her grief manifested itself. In that regard, it’s incredibly personal.
                                              I think this is important context, though I still think the content of some songs deal more with spousal infidelity or being mistreated, moreso than the loss of a child.

But, of course, people express grief in many ways - including through blame.

Comment

• It could be blame, it could be depression, it could be feelings and emotions from the past she found easier to access...

Grief isn’t a monster to simply slay, it’s a monster that has the superpower of taking on the form of every monster you’ve ever fought or feared. It could have helped harness every memory of mistreatment for that album rather than specifically what was going on in 2009.

For me the biggest clues come from reading between the lines; the way it was produced (quite suddenly and with a close knit team only), the angry tones and themes of abandonment and loss that were consistent throughout - much more so than the specific content of the lyrics.

I guess all we can do as lambs is have fun speculating! Especially as she didn’t even mention the album in the book.
                                                Last edited by firefly_86; Tue May 4, 2021, 16:07.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leo View Post
                                                  I can't believe she cancelled like 1 day before the show....
                                                  I saw her in 1999 in Musimundo, where she signed my Rainbow CD, and maybe I'll die with that just being my only time seeng here in person :(, but not hearing her sing...
                                                  It was the worst day of my life :(
                                                  Well, at least you saw her in person one time, better than nothing I guess.
                                                  But let's hope she decides to tour Latin America in a near future, we deserve that.

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                                                    I’m in dire need of an acapella snippet or something
                                                    No, I'm tired of the teasing.
                                                    I want the full thing whenever it's finished.
                                                    Meanwhile, she could give us some old material to talk about I'm watching you, SUD & Skydiving

Comment

Working...
                                                    X