Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Nah it is just common sense and yeah it was. Completely wrong. No comparison should ever be made between society thinking homosexuality was a sickness and clothes. Talk about minimizing a serious issue. I suggest you watch the recent TV series It's A Sin and then come back to me and tell me both things are the same.
    Again, the issue is more than clothes. The issue is always putting a woman down for her own choices. I have heard comments of people judging women as a whore or bad mother or trash for her choices of clothes. So there is a misogynist component into this conversation thats why i think it is important to compare homosexuality with "clothes". If you think that calling a woman trash, whore, or no classic for the way she dress, mate you have a big problem in that brain of yours

Comment

• Originally posted by Yerac View Post

Again, the issue is more than clothes. The issue is always putting a woman down for her own choices. I have heard comments of people judging women as a whore or bad mother or trash for her choices of clothes. So there is a misogynist component into this conversation thats why i think it is important to compare homosexuality with "clothes". If you think that calling a woman trash, whore, or no classic for the way she dress, mate you have a big problem in that brain of yours
      I have never called anyone trash, whore or no classic. So please, don't put words into my mouth or add on implications to what I said. And no homosexuality and clothes are not comparable in any way. This word "misogynist" is really being bandied about lately by people who don't really understand what it means.
      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• More of these looks.....tasteful, enough to be sexy (being Mariah) but still very delicate lines which flow beautifully around her body.

She does show cleavage in some areas but nowadays, it's either covered up or never too low (like that V-look which seem to dominate her Stella era look).

Comment

I have never called anyone trash, whore or no classic. So please, don't put words into my mouth or add on implications to what I said. And no homosexuality and clothes are not comparable in any way. This word "misogynist" is really being bandied about lately by people who don't really understand what it means.
          I do understand what it means, thanks! :-) Now go back to your own thought and keep judging women by the way they dress! At the end of the day I dont know you, and i dont really like you, tbh lol so I dont want to keep spending my time trying to change a mind from 1901. Bye gurl xxx

Comment

• misogynist
            noun
            1. a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.

Comment

• I haven’t posted here in so long, but this discourse over what Mariah wears, criticizing her age, her body, her style is the most backwards and anti-feminist thing I have ever seen on this forum. When you critique the way a woman expresses herself, shows her body, the clothes she chooses to wear, calling them “stripper-like”, wanting her to be more “age-appropriate,” you are actively participating in misogyny. You can disagree all you want, but take any Gender/Women studies course and you’ll understand that. It’s disgusting that so many gay men feel so entitled to women’s bodies JUST because you’re gay. GAY MEN CAN BE MISOGYNISTIC. You are not free from being held accountable just because you are in a marginalized group, and wanting to control the way a woman (a woman of color nonetheless) appears, and feeling entitled to do so is rooted in misogyny and racism.

How any “fan” can come on here after reading her memoir, where she openly discusses her insecurities and how they stem from systemic racism and discrimination, from emotional and physical abuse from her family, and still be so insensitive...truly boggles my mind. She’s openly discussed being insecure about her looks and her body due to childhood trauma, and even addressed how the world’s consistent critique of how she sounds now gives her so much performance anxiety. Yet you come on here, claiming to be “lambs” and then hate that she tries to dress and sound young because it doesn’t live up to your standards. You should truly be ashamed of yourselves for actively participating in the continued vilification of a woman who has been through so much and still gives us SO MUCH. Truly disgusting.
              Last edited by LCRiah; Mon February 15, 2021, 21:15.
              How bout you...

Comment

It is not basic common sense, it is what society and culture has made you to think. I dont have any problem to see a 60 years old woman dressing showing some boobies and legs, tbh. Her body, her life, her choice! Do i think she doesnt look classic or she is wrong because she likes wesring those clothes? No. Do I think certain clothes are done for certain age or sex? No. I guess that it is a matter of education and culture/society. We keep listening thay it is wrong for an old woman to dress in a certain way ( cos it is always with female, no with males ) thus we end up believing it. So my example wasnt wrong!
                I think you're going on tangents. The line of discussion was about why Mariah is not considered a fashion icon. When you think of music fashion icons, you think of Beyonce, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Celine, Billie (yes her Gucci, green hair androgynous is a look).

Of course Mariah can dress whatever way she wants, but that doesn't mean we should give her a pass everytime for her looks and presentation. Some past looks are downright offfensive and unflattering.

These are of course first world problems, but this is the entertainment industry (why else do you think there's a best dressed and worst dressed) It's because people actually are very interested in fashion and it's a multi-billion dollar industry.

Yes you can flaunt your skin and boobage at 80 if that's what you want, though that doesn't mean it's tasteful or it's is flattering to your body.

Comment

• Originally posted by LCRiah View Post
                  I haven’t posted here in so long, but this discourse over what Mariah wears, criticizing her age, her body, her style is the most backwards and anti-feminist thing I have ever seen on this forum. When you critique the way a woman expresses herself, shows her body, the clothes she chooses to wear, calling them “stripper-like”, wanting her to be more “age-appropriate,” you are actively participating in misogyny. You can disagree all you want, but take any Gender/Women studies course and you’ll understand that. It’s disgusting that so many gay men feel so entitled to women’s bodies JUST because you’re gay. GAY MEN CAN BE MISOGYNISTIC. You are not free from being held accountable just because you are in a marginalized group, and wanting to control the way a woman (a woman of color nonetheless) appears, and feeling entitled to do so is rooted in misogyny and racism.

How any “fan” can come on here after reading her memoir, where she openly discusses her insecurities and how they stem from systemic racism and discrimination, from emotional and physical abuse from her family, and still be so insensitive...truly boggles my mind. She’s openly discussed being insecure about her looks and her body due to childhood trauma, and even addressed how the world’s consistent critique of how she sounds now gives her so much performance anxiety. Yet you come on here, claiming to be “lambs” and then hate that she tries to dress and sound young because it doesn’t live up to your standards. You should truly be ashamed of yourselves for actively participating in the continued vilification of a woman who has been through so much and still gives us SO MUCH. Truly disgusting.
                  Thanks! I thought I was the only one who thought they were being misogynistic as F. Very well said!

Comment

Thanks! I thought I was the only one who thought they were being misogynistic as F. Very well said!
                    Of course! And thank you, I’ve agreed with everything you’ve brought up too!
                    How bout you...

Comment

I haven’t posted here in so long, but this discourse over what Mariah wears, criticizing her age, her body, her style is the most backwards and anti-feminist thing I have ever seen on this forum. When you critique the way a woman expresses herself, shows her body, the clothes she chooses to wear, calling them “stripper-like”, wanting her to be more “age-appropriate,” you are actively participating in misogyny. You can disagree all you want, but take any Gender/Women studies course and you’ll understand that. It’s disgusting that so many gay men feel so entitled to women’s bodies JUST because you’re gay. GAY MEN CAN BE MISOGYNISTIC. You are not free from being held accountable just because you are in a marginalized group, and wanting to control the way a woman (a woman of color nonetheless) appears, and feeling entitled to do so is rooted in misogyny and racism.

LOL your arms must be aching from all that reaching you are doing !

Mariahs style choices and body have been discussed on this forum since the beginning of time and there is nothing misogynistic or racist in doing so. Could you be any more ridiculous.
                      Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                      Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post

I think you're going on tangents. The line of discussion was about why Mariah is not considered a fashion icon. When you think of music fashion icons, you think of Beyonce, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Madonna, Celine, Billie (yes her Gucci, green hair androgynous is a look).

Of course Mariah can dress whatever way she wants, but that doesn't mean we should give her a pass everytime for her looks and presentation. Some past looks are downright offfensive and unflattering.

These are of course first world problems, but this is the entertainment industry (why else do you think there's a best dressed and worst dressed) It's because people actually are very interested in fashion and it's a multi-billion dollar industry.

Yes you can flaunt your skin and boobage at 80 if that's what you want, though that doesn't mean it's tasteful or it's is flattering to your body.
                        Offensive? How can someone’s clothing offend you? Did Mariah attend to a funeral of your friend wearing extremely skimpy clothes with her boobies popping around?

There’s a big difference between giving comments on the style of someone’s clothing style and telling women not to show their skin because it “offends” you or you don’t find it tasteful.

Many of you complain about how the entertainment industry is very sexist and unfair against women above their 40s, like how they have an “expiration date”, but y’all unwittingly contribute to the development of that mindset.

Simmer down. Some of you are showing misogynistic behaviors and they’re disgusting to say the least.
                        Last edited by hotMCfan; Mon February 15, 2021, 21:41.

Comment

I don't understand when some users says "age appropriate clothes", who decides what is appropriate clothing for who? Society? The same society that thought homosexuality was a sickness till not long ago? Please, can we advance along with the time? We are in 2021 no in 1830.

There are certain comments, thay we put out there without realising how dated and dangerous they are.

You might like it or no, but stop thinking certain clothes are for certain people!

Comment

• I think this line of discussion has become unproductive and we should move on.
                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

She is getting a lot of reviews and reaction with this performance! We love to see a queen getting her flowers!
                              This performance was an amazing move tbh.
                              Zero negative comments, all good feed-back in social media and some big out-lets as well.
                              Lots of artists praising her rendition.
                              I'm so happy and proud.
                              2020 was amazing for her and 2021 is already shaping to be anothe great year.
                              We're a lucky fan-base, aren't we?

Comment

I don't understand when some users says "age appropriate clothes", who decides what is appropriate clothing for who? Society? The same society that thought homosexuality was a sickness till not long ago? Please, can we advance along with the time? We are in 2021 no in 1830.

There are certain comments, thay we put out there without realising how dated and dangerous they are.

You might like it or no, but stop thinking certain clothes are for certain people!
                                +1

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                  I think this line of discussion has become unproductive and we should move on.
                                  Sorry, but misogyny should not be allowed here. Thanks

Comment

Mariahs style choices and body have been discussed on this forum since the beginning of time and there is nothing misogynistic or racist in doing so. Could you be any more ridiculous.
                                    Was thinking the same, that response was laughable actually cause it's evidenced that people have a very warped view on what constitutes misogyny and having an opinion.

I think at this rate, the whole fashion industry would be labelled misogynistic and stiffles the sorts of conversations that would typically advance social discussions.

Comment

LOL ok but when someone says “you’re too old to be dressed like you’re a 22 year old trying to get railed at a pride festival” is it not homophobic? It’s just clothes? It’s just style?

I know you’re too old for me to have to break down why saying Mariah is dressed like a stripper is misogynistic. Please grow up!

How bout you...

Comment

And OMG bae, where have u been?
                                        I see you on Insta all the time but not here anymore.
                                        Missing you posting in the thread #comebackcomeack.harmony.mp3

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post

Was thinking the same, that response was laughable actually cause it's evidenced that people have a very warped view on what constitutes misogyny and having an opinion.

I think at this rate, the whole fashion industry would be labelled misogynistic and stiffles the sorts of conversations that would typically advance social discussions.
                                          Idk where you live or what education you’ve received, but an industry that enforces the idea that women must be stick-thin, white, tall, “tasteful” and classy just to be considered beautiful and respected in fashion is racist and misogynistic. And I love the fashion world. But just because I like fashion, doesn’t mean it’s free from criticism. Like, again, grow up!
                                          How bout you...

Comment

• Originally posted by hotMCfan View Post
                                            Offensive? How can someone’s clothing offend you?
                                            I kinda laughed at that tbh

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post
                                              I agree.
                                              I have seen the same post over and over again. It's tiring and I find it offensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post

And OMG bae, where have u been?
                                                I see you on Insta all the time but not here anymore.
                                                Missing you posting in the thread #comebackcomeack.harmony.mp3
                                                Hehe I’ve been lurking, but I just didn’t feel too compelled to post until now!! But missed u too Damián, I’ll hopefully be back to posting more regularly now!! <3
                                                How bout you...

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post

I agree with this so much! Bm08, we shouldn't accept misogynist comments on a forum, so "moving on" is not acceptable in this occasion. We need to tackle this issue with these 2 users over and over. Tbh sometimes I even think they are the same person and he changes his user to agree with himself. I find it offensive their/his comments putting down a woman, it is not about Mariah Carey anymore, it is about women in general.

Comment

• I wouldn't accept anybody to tell me what to wear at my age.. Why Mariah would?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X