No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe that MC actually chats with Anitta.
    Like #GOALS

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      I think she's a natural belter.
      I'll keep insisting with this, nodules.
      If she wasn't one, she would have never be able to hit so many F5s & F#5 between 1990 Y 1998, no matter the amount of work she put on there.
      The fact that she's a chesty belter doesn't help, but tbh I love how it sounds.
      In that performance you mentioned she hit multiples C5s, D5s & a F5 as well LOL (ATB '90).
      Again, in 2014 Beacon shows she was able to belt up to G5 with ease (multiple F5s and F#5s in JTTW, two G5s in WCC).
      Her voice is a mystery, I find it really fascinating.
      And yeah, we can see glimpses of her old vocals sometimes. The voice is there. I have no doubts.
      She's been proving haters wrong since Debut after all
      Maybe ur right. Im honestly not an expert. To me a natural belter is someone who has a heavier voice. Like jenifer hudson. Mariah does not have that sort of voice. She has a more a lyric voice. Like toni braxton has a richer voice than mariah and even she is not much of a belter. Her magic is in the lower parts. Mariah imo was able to belt that high simply because she was determined to.

Comment

• Originally posted by aydeep888 View Post
        Maybe ur right. Im honestly not an expert. To me a natural belter is someone who has a heavier voice. Like jenifer hudson. Mariah does not have that sort of voice. She has a more a lyric voice. Like toni braxton has a richer voice than mariah and even she is not much of a belter. Her magic is in the lower parts. Mariah imo was able to belt that high simply because she was determined to.
        I don't think Toni's voice is richer.
        Also it takes more than determination to belt that high.
        Plus IMO her tonal quality gets better as she goes higher.

But let's agree to disagree

Comment

An example that throwing Cardi B in a Mariah remix won't work (same applies to Doja, Megan, etc).
          Look at Normani's first day numbers.
          A shame. I think normani is so talented but people doesnt seem to see it.

Comment

• Just uploaded the Album Rank out of all rates in the Discography Rate thread!!! Top 2 pending announcement... place your bets!!!
            CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
            FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

• Originally posted by Yerac View Post
              I know, she's amazing.
              And those meh songs debuting at #1
              Glad Mariah ruled the charts when talent was appreciated.

Comment

An example that throwing Cardi B in a Mariah remix won't work (same applies to Doja, Megan, etc).
                Look at Normani's first day numbers.
                Yeah I mean if anyone thought throwing Cardi on a remix is a surefire way of getting a hit it aint.
                " And i think you should take a second just to look at your reflection
                Baby maybe you're the problem "

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post
                  Yeah I mean if anyone thought throwing Cardi on a remix is a surefire way of getting a hit it aint.
                  And this applies to every singer.
                  We also saw this with Doja X Megan X Ari, it flopped.

Comment

• Happy 1 Year Anniversary to MC30

Comment

I dont think it flopped, they didnt expect Olivia coming out of nowhere lol but if it wasnt flr that, ariana would have another number 1 right now

Comment

• Ya it didnt flop. People just love to be catty when it comes to other female artists, throwing out words like flop as if they are happy about it.

I hope Ari takes care of her voice and learns from her elders mistakes!

Comment

• Anyway….

Comment

I dont think it flopped, they didnt expect Olivia coming out of nowhere lol but if it wasnt flr that, ariana would have another number 1 right now
                            It was a flop 'cause the numbers it pulled, not 'cause its position.

Plus the chart was super weak that week.

Just look at the numbers on Spotify and the video on YT.

But that's another story.

We were talking in general tho, how these collabos with the same girls over and over again are loosing interest and how an strategy like that won't benefit Mariah.

Comment

• Goldmoney GOAT is falling, I think u should consider re-installing the app

Comment

• Mariah Carey - Adventures of Mimi - Atlantic City (Night 1 FULL AUDIO)

Some nice moments in this date.
                                VOL was good.
                                She was giving her all in MIH.
                                But the highlight was the Can't Let Go acapella moment with dem whistles (starts at 1:11:30). Gorgeous.

Comment

The song had to be good to begin with for the collaboration to make an impact

No shade to Normani, she is very talented and determined, the song I enjoy but it sounds like a single 5, very mid tempo, very subdued vocals, not a big chorus

In 2008, Jay Z, Akon, and Lil Wayne couldn’t save Bye Bye

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                                    The song had to be good to begin with for the collaboration to make an impact

No shade to Normani, she is very talented and determined, the song I enjoy but it sounds like a single 5, very mid tempo, very subdued vocals, not a big chorus

In 2008, Jay Z, Akon, and Lil Wayne couldn’t save Bye Bye
                                    The song is very good IMO.

Bye Bye was impossible to save LOL, yet it made the Top 20. But well, she was on a high (until that of course).

Wild Side is projected to debut outside the Top 50.
                                    And it's a shame. It got lots of hype and the visuals are amazing.

Comment

• It's never too early for Christmas.
                                      Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

I think she's a natural belter.

Her voice is a mystery, I find it really fascinating.
                                        Her voice is indeed a mystery. It's really a shame she didnt't open up about it in the book. It was the single most interesting topic imo for her to discuss. It would have at the very least added some context to the ridiculous back and forth between both sides of the "vocal ability" line (she can still sing vs. she sounds horrible camps). Best case she could have given truly unique insight into the voice of what I very much consider to be one of the is not the best vocalists of all time.

Didn't she hint at a second book? I can only hope I guess.
                                        Everything, it only fades...

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                          I think that all she needs to regain some of her vocal quality is rest. AFTER GLITTER - and we all know how she sounded during Rainbow promo - she sounded clear and strong. I obviously don't know what her vocal rest routine is... but not speaking for example is not helping much imo.

What I admired about Whitney was that even in her worst and darkest days... she did not lipsync one note. IF Mariah would properly train and work with a vocal coach and re-arrange her songs... she could still sing all them 100% live and they would all sound perfect. She still has a super fascinating voice and a great range... but the blatant lipping of parts of her songs... sometimes only mere words and then go live again... is annoying as fark.

Like.. the last 15 seconds of Hero... everything sounds super great and emotional when she is singing it live and I'm super connected to her performance and the song... and then this weird voice shift sets in and I'm out of the whole performance emotions-wise. It's so annoying... There is a performance of Emotions or CLG I can't remember which one it was... and she was ill while performing it... I believe it was on TOTP or sth... and she lowered the songs and sang in a range that was comfortable for her... and it sounded just beautiful.

I think she is doing herself a disservice with all the lipping that she is doing.

Sia, for example, just fought herself thru a song when her voice was completely gone and she got 0 flack for it. Adele is singing out of tune and is re-starting her performance... Mariah should not be ashamed of her abilities or feel the need to sound like the CD... A live performance is ultimately better than a CD recording... bc on a human level, we can connect with a live performance on a whole other level and it is always wonderful.
                                          Since her death people have been remembering her past through rose-colored glasses and tend to remember things that never happened. Whitney almost always had lipped segments to her concerts. As a Whitney fan it's easy to recall the lipped songs and one of her most memorable moments - The Star Spangled Banner was an entirely lip-synced performance. Also, she never sang the I'm Every Woman climax live after 1994. I could go on and on, but I'm not trying to scrutinize someone who has already passed on... just wanted to point out that she lipped every concert except for the final 4 years. But I understand what you mean, she was still willing to go out and sing live with her then current raspy, damaged voice even to the point where the Australian media roasted her and fans walked out of her concert demanding refunds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyclone View Post

Since her death people have been remembering her past through rose-colored glasses and tend to remember things that never happened. Whitney almost always had lipped segments to her concerts. As a Whitney fan it's easy to recall the lipped songs and one of her most memorable moments - The Star Spangled Banner was an entirely lip-synced performance. Also, she never sang the I'm Every Woman climax live after 1994. I could go on and on, but I'm not trying to scrutinize someone who has already passed on... just wanted to point out that she lipped every concert except for the final 4 years. But I understand what you mean, she was still willing to go out and sing live with her then current raspy, damaged voice even to the point where the Australian media roasted her and fans walked out of her concert demanding refunds.
                                            That is a complete lie and not remotely true.

The fact that all you have is a less than 20 second belting part of IEW to try and make some sort of a flawed point that she "lipped every concert" when most of the time she never even pretended she was singing it and just adlibbed over it here and there.

And yes, we know she lipped the Star Spangled Banner, everyone lipped the anthem performances back then. Mariahs was also lipped in 2003.
                                            Last edited by InFamous; Sun July 18, 2021, 04:18.

Comment

I got to see Whitney in concert four times and every single concert had that lipped belted climax... everybody knew it too. I've seen 10 videos on YouTube and all have the pre-recorded climax with her pretending to sing it.

How is it a lie when she lipped this part of every concert? It wasn't only I'm Every Woman, it was a number of songs but the most consistent pre-recorded segment was for IEW. What is so controversial about this but not about saying that she never lip-synced one note?
                                              Last edited by Cyclone; Sun July 18, 2021, 04:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyclone View Post

I got to see Whitney in concert four times and every single concert had that lipped belted climax... everybody knew it too. I've seen 10 videos on YouTube and all have the pre-recorded climax with her pretending to sing it.

How is it a lie when she lipped this part of every concert? It wasn't only I'm Every Woman, it was a number of songs but the most consistent pre-recorded segment was for IEW. What is so controversial about this but not about saying that she never lip-synced one note?
                                                Its a lie because she didnt. Simple. Two examples below.

The fact that that ( 15 seconds) is all youve got from her entire tour history to validate your claim that she " lipped every concert" is hillarious. She stops singing at one point even during that one you posted and comes in live twice over the backing track. Other times she wouldnt even remotely pretend to be singing it. But ok, whatever. Guess you missed this one even thought its the first result of the search !

Last edited by InFamous; Sun July 18, 2021, 04:34.

Comment

• While I would love to know all the juicy details about Mariah's changing voice, I think she will never talk about it and that is fine. It would ruin the mystique. I mean, what do we want her to say? "Yeah, I got older and I damaged it by [x] and now I can't hit those notes anymore or it isn't as fluid anymore" or "yeah, my voice will sometimes fail and so I will sing the run in a staccato fashion or sing a long lower belted note as it is easier than vibrato/runs" or "yeah, my voice is drier and raspier now, and can sometimes crack unexpectedly."... I mean, talk about a mood killer

Comment

• Regarding the lipping I dont even care that Mariah lips, I understand why. I only wish that she would update some of her tracks so they sound current. The lowered Without you climax from 1993 or the Oh holy night lines from 1994 are just too obvious. If she just updated them the transitions would be far more seamless and just more believable. But maybe they are not as noticeable when you are actually at a concert.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X