• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y'all forgot

The Warning feat. Young Murda, 50 Cent, Young Jeezy for 2011
    Bring It On Home for 2012
    Almost Home for 2013

We are blessed. We literally get AT LEAST one new song every year without fail. No one else does this, only Queen! We should be thankful we are lambs. Imagine being Janet or Sade stans.

Comment

• The counter argument to this though is that just releasing something for the sake of releasing something every year might dilute ones legacy. In all those songs she has released every year since 2010 there are only like 3-4 I keep going back to, otherwise I only listen to pre-2010 songs. Most of those stand alone yearly releases dont exist to me. A better way to have handle them would have been to save them for the Rarities. That way we know what were getting all in one project (songs not good enough for a high profile release, but together as a collection could be interesting).
      Last edited by tee; Sun August 1, 2021, 16:09.

Comment

• Her legacy is perfectly in tact.
        See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
          Her legacy is perfectly in tact.
          I mean, thats your opinion. And its a fine one.

Comment

Hmmm... I don't know if I agree.

Her legacy is not in tact. It's been rewritten...

...for the better. ;)

In MY opinion, of course. Which is the correct opinion.

But seriously, her legacy has probably never been stronger.

The past 2 years - with her book which alone solidified her reputation, plus AIW hitting #1 for the second time, after Caution received some of the best reviews of her career whilst she was being praised for her writing and producing, and her Christmas special.

Her legacy was in tact and now it's become even greater. Hope it continues getting stronger.
            Last edited by InfoFromAus; Sun August 1, 2021, 14:36.
            MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• The reason I'm a lamb is because we got to be the most delusional fanbase on the planet LOL. Mariah will always struggle with getting the respect we believe she deserves. Most people I talk to don't even consider her when thinking of the legends. I have to list her accomplishments for them. Look at all the Grammy tributes, etc. Mariah is never one of the performers. She's never on the top of any publication lists for anything. She's just not that respected in large. Hell I even think Mary J Blige gets more respect for what she's done. And she has to be the only artist who is only as good as her last project. She even commented on this once by saying no one else needs as many comebacks as she does.

I'm not saying that she hasn't made her mark in the music industry. She has. But with an industry that is always looking to tear her down will she have a legacy like: Aretha, Whitney, MJ, etc?

She has to keep things tight/perfect and make sure they don't find a way to diminish her profound career input. Ten more years of releasing subpar/bubbling under hits might hurt in the long run.

Anyone agree with me?

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post
                The reason I'm a lamb is because we got to be the most delusional fanbase on the planet LOL. Mariah will always struggle with getting the respect we believe she deserves. Most people I talk to don't even consider her when thinking of the legends. I have to list her accomplishments for them. Look at all the Grammy tributes, etc. Mariah is never one of the performers. She's never on the top of any publication lists for anything. She's just not that respected in large. Hell I even think Mary J Blige gets more respect for what she's done. And she has to be the only artist who is only as good as her last project. She even commented on this once by saying no one else needs as many comebacks as she does.

I'm not saying that she hasn't made her mark in the music industry. She has. But with an industry that is always looking to tear her down will she have a legacy like: Aretha, Whitney, MJ, etc?

She has to keep things tight/perfect and make sure they don't find a way to diminish her profound career input. Ten more years of releasing subpar/bubbling under hits might hurt in the long run.

Anyone agree with me?
                I agree completely. It’s funny most of the lambs are so delusional (“you’re delusional, you’re delusional”, like MC once said) that thinks her legacy are so intact. She’s never respected as she should, specially for the industry. And it feels it always a struggle for her to get some recognition when even younger and average singers are very praised for just so little they’ve done

Comment

• For me releasing The Rarities alongside the Memoir was the right thing and it made sense, as it is a testament of her history and evolution. And it was the perfect gift for the lambily. SUD was a surprise but it's more anecdotic in a way, and I want to have it, but it was more appropiate for the Memoir to go with The Rarities.
                  Previously known as sYair

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair
                  www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• Which of y'all runs this account ?!

" And i think you should take a second just to look at your reflection
                    Baby maybe you're the problem "

Comment

• Talking of legacy, I would love for some kind of streaming special where she sings some of her classic hits before a live audience. Great production values and Mariah still looking amazing all these years later.

Comment

• Here is my version of The Rarities that i created as a playlist. Its two discs, the first being never before heard songs, the second disc being b-sides or stand alone songs. Keeps all her releases neatly in one place and I made it 15 songs on each disc to keep in line with her greatest hits album, for a combined 30 songs to celebrate #MC30:

The Rarities (2020)
                        Disc1:
                        1. Here We Go Around Again
                        2. Can You Hear Me
                        3. All I Live For
                        4. One Night
                        5. Out Here On My Own
                        6. Loverboy Firecracker
                        7. I Pray
                        8. When I Feel It
                        9. Cool On You
                        10. Imperfect
                        11. Skydiving
                        12. Somewhat Loved
                        13. Mesmerized
                        14. Lullaby a Birdland
                        15. Save The Day (ft. Lauryn Hill)
                        Disc2:
                        1. Do You Think Of Me
                        2. Everything Fades Away
                        3. Slipping Away
                        4. Do You Know Where Your Going
                        5. There For Me
                        6. Miss You (ft. Jadakiss)
                        7. There Goes My Heart
                        8. Sprung
                        9. Secret Love
                        10. 4Real4real (ft. Da Brat)
                        11. Heat
                        12. H.A.T.E.U (remix)
                        13. Triumphant (ft. Meek Mills, Ross)
                        14. I Dont (ft. YG)
                        15. Runway
                        Last edited by tee; Sun August 1, 2021, 18:58.

Comment

Here is my version of The Rarities that i created as a playlist. Its two discs, the first being never before heard songs, the second disc being b-sides or stand alone songs. Keeps all her releases neatly in one place and I made it 15 songs on each disc to keep in line with her greatest hits album, for a combined 30 songs to celebrate #MC30:

The Rarities (2020)
                          Disc1:
                          1. Here We Go Around Again
                          2. Can You Hear Me
                          3. All I Live For
                          4. One Night
                          5. Out Here On My Own
                          6. Loverboy Firecracker
                          7. There For Me
                          8. I Pray
                          9. When I Feel It
                          10. Cool On You
                          11. Imperfect
                          12. Skydiving
                          13. Somewhat Loved
                          14. Mesmerized
                          15. Save The Day (ft. Lauryn Hill)
                          Disc2:
                          1. Do You Think Of Me
                          2. Everything Fades Away
                          3. Slipping Away
                          4. There Goes My Heart Again
                          5. Miss You (ft. Jadakiss)
                          6. Secret Love
                          7. Sprung
                          8. 4Real4real (ft. Da Brat)
                          9. Heat
                          10. Its a Wrap (ft. Mary J Blige)
                          11. H.A.T.E.U (ft. Big Boi, Gucci, Juice)
                          12. Angels Cry (ft. Ne-Yo)
                          13. Triumphant (ft. Meek Mills, Ross)
                          14. I Dont (ft. YG)
                          15. Runway
                          There for me is also a bside

Comment

• Originally posted by sYair View Post
                            For me releasing The Rarities alongside the Memoir was the right thing and it made sense, as it is a testament of her history and evolution. And it was the perfect gift for the lambily. SUD was a surprise but it's more anecdotic in a way, and I want to have it, but it was more appropiate for the Memoir to go with The Rarities.
                            Yeah, I agree.

It was a lot to take in tbh.

The book, the audiobook, The Rarities, SUD, then Christmas.

I remember feeling a bit overwhelmed, but I'm glad she did what she did. Impressive.

Comment

• Fixed.

Comment

The counter argument to this though is that just releasing something for the sake of releasing something every year might dilute ones legacy. In all those songs she has released every year since 2010 there are only like 3-4 I keep going back to, otherwise I only listen to pre-2010 songs. Most of those stand alone yearly releases dont exist to me. A better way to have handle them would have been to save them for the Rarities. That way we know what were getting all in one project (songs not good enough for a high profile release, but together as a collection could be interesting).
                                Luckily she never releases something just for the sake of it. It can be your taste or not, but that's how it's been from the start. You can never please everyone. In the long run I don't think it will ruin her legacy at all. But even if it would, I still hope for a release every year. Some songs I don't go back to very often (Infamous, In The Mix), but when they were released I was very happy with them and so they gave me a lot of joy right then.
                                I always hope for an artist to do everything they want, because they love to make music. Not because they want to build a legacy. If I was an artist, I'd jump on every duet if I liked the artist and/or song. I would release most songs I'd write, knowing there are always fans who would want to hear it. I would just enjoy releasing songs, singing with other artists, jam with others, etc. And it's always better to release them in HQ than let leaks and/or recordings by phone go find a way to the audience.
                                Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

The reason I'm a lamb is because we got to be the most delusional fanbase on the planet LOL. Mariah will always struggle with getting the respect we believe she deserves. Most people I talk to don't even consider her when thinking of the legends. I have to list her accomplishments for them. Look at all the Grammy tributes, etc. Mariah is never one of the performers. She's never on the top of any publication lists for anything. She's just not that respected in large. Hell I even think Mary J Blige gets more respect for what she's done. And she has to be the only artist who is only as good as her last project. She even commented on this once by saying no one else needs as many comebacks as she does.

Anyone agree with me?
                                  hmm…I agree with this to an extent. I think Mariah is very widely disrespected and not given the respect she deserves. BUT, she is also very relevant. And that’s a fact. Sure, her new music doesn’t sell very much, but she is still a cultural force (see her social media game and Christmas impact). She makes worldwide headlines just for tweeting! Every time a new vocalist comes out, she is cited as an influence or they are compared to her. IMO, her relevance and presence is a double-edged sword in that it supersedes her legacy at the moment. But I think she has the respect of current artists, which is important too.

Also, MJ and Whitney are untouchable, but need we go into what their legacy was being made out to be by the public and media before their deaths? They were sadly among the most disrespected people in history for much of the latter parts of their careers. Only years after their deaths did they gain half the respect they deserve back.

I think, when you look at Mariah’s place among her living peers: ie, Madonna, Celine, Janet—they’re all in their own lanes and Mariah’s legacy and image are doing perfectly fine.
                                  How bout you...

Comment

• It's like we can do anything about it.

If her legacy is tarnished for reasons of her own doing (decisions she made on her music, image, career etc) or the general public's attitude, then what we can do about it?

Tell her not to release a song?
                                    We can't control any of that.

What we can control is our own appreciation of her, and I choose to appreciate her despite anything I disagree with.
                                    MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• The thing is Mariah is the only one still “relevant” in the pop culture world among her peers. And I don’t mean about impact musically I mean she is still regularly making headlines for all the good and wrong reasons. She is regularly going viral on Twitter without going to extremes : she is still a heavily polarized celebrity than manages to be in the spotlight in the social media age. It’s rare and I think it’s because she was one of the first to embrace Spotify, Vevo, Twitter, TikTok etc. She always had a good intuition about those things so she is strangely “within her time” and I think this is why she is not treated as a “legend” like Madonna for instance. It’s because Mariah is still “debatable” as in people’s mind she is still competing with the new kids and we expect her to still produce a smash hit so when she is not it’s easy to laugh because to the general public she is trying hard. I don’t know if it makes sense but that’s what I feel. Mariah consentent fight to still be hot and out there makes her still someone we can criticize and scrutinize versus if she went the Jazz album route the second part of her career she would have achieved legend status but she is releasing project like Caution which still sounds fresh and hot. That’s why I think she is going the documentary route to finally embrace Mariah the artist and achieve legendary status after her songwriter hall of fame induction. It’s about time to forget about that elusive next #1.
                                      Last edited by Xmas; Sun August 1, 2021, 23:02.

Comment

• A cover of Always Be My Baby was played on Love Island.

Now the song is 289 on iTunes UK.

Comment

• I’m in a restaurant in Manchester and ‘Your Girl’ has just randomly come on during an otherwise hipster playlist

Comment

• Somewhat Loved #12 on R&B radio now, a new peak.

Still tough to break into the top 10 but five songs are dropping above it in the top 10. If they post negative gains then they fall into recurrent status and giving Somewhat Loved the chance to reach into the top 10. Fingers crossed it can do that this week!

Comment

I think something that the lambs actually really appreciate about Mariah is that she isn't perfect. I don't think her legacy is intact. She had her ups and downs. Her music isn't always consistent. But that also makes us root harder for her and not just be spectators, in a way.

I was listening to one of the Twitter Spaces conversations and a few people said they discovered Mariah because of the last NYE issue... and they liked that she was just a (very annoyed) normal person.,. and kind of badass.

But I agree that her 90's plus Emancipation legacies are intact. The GP doesn't know much about her after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

I always hope for an artist to do everything they want, because they love to make music. Not because they want to build a legacy. If I was an artist, I'd jump on every duet if I liked the artist and/or song. I would release most songs I'd write, knowing there are always fans who would want to hear it. I would just enjoy releasing songs, singing with other artists, jam with others, etc. And it's always better to release them in HQ than let leaks and/or recordings by phone go find a way to the audience.
                                                The songs that end up on high profile albums like Mariah's have generally been selected carefully, and worked through so much, that I appreciate the other stuff that comes out from in-between. Maybe it's because I'm a singer and it's a good reminder that these giant songs are not the standard. For every successful song, an artist also creates a ton of other stuff that wouldn't make that big of a splash.

Comment

Somewhat Loved #12 on R&B radio now, a new peak.

Still tough to break into the top 10 but five songs are dropping above it in the top 10. If they post negative gains then they fall into recurrent status and giving Somewhat Loved the chance to reach into the top 10. Fingers crossed it can do that this week!
                                                  This is so awesome! Here's a link for anyone who wants to support by requesting: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...-QQ/edit#gid=0

Comment

• Originally posted by LCRiah View Post

Also, MJ and Whitney are untouchable, but need we go into what their legacy was being made out to be by the public and media before their deaths? They were sadly among the most disrespected people in history for much of the latter parts of their careers. Only years after their deaths did they gain half the respect they deserve back.
                                                    Madonna gets a lot of negative comments these days. Never thought she would be this unpopular. But I'm sure she will be respected again one day. Even if it's after she's gone. As for Mariah, we are lucky people always love her at Christmas time. Also, I think she's slowly regaining respect again since she left Stella.
                                                    Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

Working...
                                                    X