No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random point but just rewatched ATYNAF video and I always thought it was weird how Mariah was waving a smoking cigarette in the video... like, I even remember the VJ on the local Top 20 countdown programme on TV in 1994 mentioned it when the video first came out and said it was surprising that Mariah was a smoker and that Meemz would turn into Mariah Croaky in the future...

Comment

• Well, to many TM seemed obsessed and a controlling freak which is true to a degree, he was obsessed in making both of them, “he and mariah” bigger than anything, and after reading the book, one could tell that the reason for all that security was because of mariah’s background and the place she came from, like god only knows how many criminals she encountered before fame because of her family...so you can see why he was overprotective...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki View Post
        I think the lack of touring in the 90s or big television performances is the main thing that impacts Mariah's legacy tbh.

Look at Beyonce, I think her recent music is a bit overrated and I only listen to her early stuff, but everybody in the UK knows about her Glastonbury set, then in the US she had the Superbowl with Bruno and Coachella.

Sadly the only TV performance my friends know of Mariah is the New Year's car crash, of the weird X Factor she gave ages ago where she was all stiff. Actually, apart from Live 8, I can't think of any high profile performance she's ever had in the UK?
        True. A lot of people still talk about Beyonce and Alexandra Burke’s duet as being a memorable moment.

Tommy missed a trick not having Mariah sing the Star Spangled Banner in 1993! I think her voice then would have tore it up. Could have recorded it, stored it in the archive and then lip-synched it during Obama’s inauguration.

Looking back at her NYE redemption performance too, I think she should have sung something different. She looked absolutely amazing though. Almost Rainbow-esque!

Comment

• Today is the 9th anniversary of Triumphant

See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
          See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Me imagining Mariah debuting Chick on Lollapalooza

Comment

• Originally posted by SomeonesUglyDaughter View Post
              Me imagining Mariah debuting Chick on Lollapalooza
              Quoting MC’ “money ($ * / …)”:
              and I dreeeeam the impossible dream..

Comment

• Another nomination for MC's special!

See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                  Another nomination for MC's special!

latino talent?

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post
                    The way I hear ppl talk the female artists that will go down with the highest rankings are:

1. Madonna
                    2. Aretha
                    3. Whitney
                    4. Beyonce
                    5. Janet

I never hear Mariah mentioned in a top 5 list and I am not sure why. She held her own in that duet with Whitney. Maybe yall are right and in time she will get her flowers. I do like the point that Mariah still puts on concerts in the traditional sense of the word, and leaves the shows for other pop stars.

Where are you hearing these people talk? I’m just curious?

a quick google search of “greatest female artists of all time” will bring you to a bunch of rankings in which Mariah’s in the top 5
                    funny how one can learn
                    to grow numb to the madness
                    and block it away

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post

latino talent?

We all know she received the Honorary Latino Mention after this! Any artist allowing the word "culo" in a song gets the mention right away
                      CHECK UKMIX RETRO Chart Facts
                      FIRST CYCLE or SECOND CYCLE

Comment

Today is the 9th anniversary of Triumphant

Oh Lord, I remember the 'Summer 2012' and the entire lambily thinking a huge era was upon us. Then Triumphant was released and.. it was what it was Probably the worst she ever sounded in a single. Also her first single that had a "dated" sound to it. But I still have warm and nostalgic feelings about it. It was my last year in high school and the first non xmas era that I experienced as a lamb. I played the dance remixes like crazy too, and the original was actually a grower.
                        http://oi42.tinypic.com/2m3lnpv.jpg

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair

www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

Tommy was a master marketer and i wonder what mariahs career would have been if they hadnt married and he still managed her career through the 2000s.
                          Probably her career would end up like Celine Dion/Shania Twain/Gloria Estefan...

If there was no Butterfly, no Glitter, no post-glitter drama and no TEOM, her career would definitely not be as amazing and as legendary as it is now. I mean where she is now is not perfect, but could be worse. At least she’s not stuck in Las Vegas for like a whole decade.

I wish she would have done more at her prime, like collaboration with other A-list singers and having a massive movie theme to her name. Imagine a duet with Celine Dion or Barbara Streisand during the MB era. And It just sucks that she has never had a movie love theme that’s as huge as I Will Always Love You/My Heart Will Go On.

Comment

• Originally posted by MayoAndMustard View Post
                            And It just sucks that she has never had a movie love theme that’s as huge as I Will Always Love You/My Heart Will Go On.
                            I used to think that too but I've changed my mind since AIWFCIY is a force of its own, and it's not linked to a specific movie but rather to a whole season. In the end it payed off better.
                            http://oi42.tinypic.com/2m3lnpv.jpg

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair

www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• Originally posted by mariahcareyfan View Post
                              Well, to many TM seemed obsessed and a controlling freak which is true to a degree, he was obsessed in making both of them, “he and mariah” bigger than anything, and after reading the book, one could tell that the reason for all that security was because of mariah’s background and the place she came from, like god only knows how many criminals she encountered before fame because of her family...so you can see why he was overprotective...
                              He put up a happy birthday post on his Instagram. In it he uses a rap by 50 cent so I dont get where he was prejudice against rap music? Anyway it features clips of his storied career and life, many artists are in it...except Mariah...

Comment

• Originally posted by sYair View Post

I used to think that too but I've changed my mind since AIWFCIY is a force of its own, and it's not linked to a specific movie but rather to a whole season. In the end it payed off better.
                                As long as it doesn’t get overplayed or suffer from fatigue, and end up like Congratulations (the Cliff Richard’s song). Probably one of the most overplayed and most annoying song ever lol.

Comment

Tommy was a master marketer and i wonder what mariahs career would have been if they hadnt married and he still managed her career through the 2000s.
                                  One thing for certain that, if Tommy stayed as Mariah’s manager since day one, her branding would have been intact and close to perfection. Take Celine Dion as an example, I wish Mariah’s PR/Marketing/Branding can be half as good. Like just look at the aligned Fontography across her marketing stuff, website design, tour production, official merchandise, etc.

Still to this date, her brand, the whole Mariah Carey brand still has so much potential to it. The initial MC and the butterfly logo is just simply iconic. Why can’t that be utilised more on her social media presence or on merchandise/perfume/fashion/side projects/whatever. Likewise, they have never maximised the potential of her Xmas stuff. Commercially, AIW/the whole Xmas project can go even further, i.e. being associated with big Xmas ads or movies, iPhone/iPad MC Red Xmas edition (preloaded with 10 copies of MC, MC2U, AIW Eps and AIW Remixed ). Look at the walker’s Xmas ads, that was done so tastefully and just on point.

Comment

• Originally posted by MayoAndMustard View Post

Commercially, AIW/the whole Xmas project can go even further, i.e. being associated with big Xmas ads or movies, iPhone/iPad MC Red Xmas edition (preloaded with 10 copies of MC, MC2U, AIW Eps and AIW Remixed ). Look at the walker’s Xmas ads, that was done so tastefully and just on point.
                                    Well, she just announced one little Christmas box and people were like, OMG SHE IS OVERDOING CHRISTMAS!

Comment

Mariah knows she's not a touring artist. That is fine. The mistake is trying to turn her into something she isn't.

She is a songwriter at heart. Only in recent times they have been highlighting this as her main craft.

Instead of trying to have her set huge tours or sets, showcase how she songwrites and have intimate venues where she's able to riff here and there with no pressure to stick to a set song structure or setlist (e.g. Australia's tangent moment). Allow her to talk about how she songwrites and how she creates songs. Create documentaries, shows and specials around that (Eg. Jimmy Fallon TAOLG behind the scenes). Let her have longer more intimate interviews about songwriting and music (e.g. Genius).

She is not a touring artist but this shouldn't be seen as a fault. Not everyone is a songwriter-singer-producer either and they are not faulted.

This is why I'm excited for whatever behind the scenes thing she has planned.

I see your point and I get it.
                                      Personally though, her main craft to me will always be singing first. I don’t necessarily need her to be a huge touring act, but I’d be lying if I said I don’t miss flocking to youtube to see her latest televised performance or tour set upload.
                                      Everything, it only fades...

Comment

He put up a happy birthday post on his Instagram. In it he uses a rap by 50 cent so I dont get where he was prejudice against rap music? Anyway it features clips of his storied career and life, many artists are in it...except Mariah...
                                        He wasn’t “prejudice against rap music” he was a racist and then when it was convenient to capitalize on rap music to make money, he did.
                                        funny how one can learn
                                        to grow numb to the madness
                                        and block it away

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Madonna gets a lot of negative comments these days. Never thought she would be this unpopular. But I'm sure she will be respected again one day. Even if it's after she's gone. As for Mariah, we are lucky people always love her at Christmas time. Also, I think she's slowly regaining respect again since she left Stella.
                                          What annoys me... is that everything little thing Madonna (or her kids do) is big headline gosspig news here while nothing that Mariah (or her kids do) is. When that MINI Mariah Monroe add came out, I thought I would read about it in my gossip sites... but no German publication touched on the subject matter...

But... Mariah made huge and gigantic headlines here about her family feuds, Morgan Carey, Alison Carey and everything that is or was bad and presents her in a negative light. That's really bothering me nowadays... bc it makes me feel like, I am the only person in Germany (the 3rd/4th largest music industry on this planet) who likes her and or knows that she has not died in 2001*

*I've already reported on how much the German press wanted her to commit suicide in 2001.

Everything she does here is spun into a hate-speech. If I were a person from the GP who didn't know anything about her... I'd think that she is the worst human being that has ever lived as well - especially for giving Monroe fetal alcohol poisoning or sth, thence her need to wear glasses. Or how she put down a dog during an interview once in GER bc the dog was not sitting still on her lap.

It's always the same here. It IS different in other parts of the world in which her music and legacy is more respected and revered even. I don't understand the hostility... bc between 1994-2000 Mariah-mania was a real thing in my country and people were fainting here and running after her limousine and were crazy about her.
                                          My Chart

Comment

I saw the post; he did add her if you look carefully, plus i do think that the feud between them is finally over, as they seem to be at a very good place in their lives, and both of them has moved on.
                                            Last edited by mariahcareyfan; Tue August 3, 2021, 21:56.

Comment

• Mariah was presented as an adult contemporary / pop singer... who sings ballads and only that. That was her marketing especially in my country... and it made her a phenomenon here.

Her biggest mistake - career-wise - in the eyes of my countrymen and women is that she ventured into more R&B music... while it did work at the beginning, Butterfly still sold 250,000 copies and Rainbow even 350,000... it did eventually damage her career to a point of no return.

While Madonna is heralded for being so "different" and "genuine", people here only see this white woman who is making music for black kids and think that that's not genuine. They know nothing about her ... and the media is loving every single bit of it.

During TEOM it was my feeling that the situation got a little bit better... but it was all fake and second-hand embarrassment, thence she being spit on on national TV and being ridiculed by a comedien who called her fat and plastic and disgustingly operated to her face. (the channel had to apologize to her afterwards - and that they did)... but it was so hostile and stupid that it actually scared me a little bit bc it showed me that the Germany people have no respect for her life... she as a person, a human being.

And to put a nail in her coffin... she dared to perform with sunglasses on and playback on German Idol (DSDS) and received the biggest backlash I've ever witnessed coming from that show. The GP was not having none of it... OK... poor career choice... maybe... but they acted so poorly before that... that they cannot use that as any justification of wishing her any kind of deadly disease.

After that the media decided that she was everything that is bad in this world... like too fat when she was preggant, a bad, absent mother who should be stripped of her children for their safety.... Monroe appearing in a listicle of the ugliest celebrity kids etc.

I'm not sure how much she knows of these stories... but if she knew... she would certainly never return to my country and rightfully so.

So, about her legacy.... and stuff... it is not intact in Germany... and if Tommy were still her manager / husband... none of these things would have probably happened.

Did she do mistakes? Yes. Did she do severe mistakes? NO!

But I don't care one bit about what the GP thinks.... I know my facts and I know Mariah and I've decided that she is my soulmate artist - a genuinely born lamb I am. But every once in a while it would be cool to read sth positive about her.

Ironically... or surprisingly... Caution got rave reviews in all major German publications... Like seriously GREAT reviews... and maybe... just maybe... her image is slightly better today bc of that than before 2018... but overall it's really bad.
                                              My Chart

Comment

• Summer 2012 #wewillneverforget
                                                Eudaimonia
                                                Last.fm
                                                Instagram

Comment

• I'd already forgotten about it.
                                                  ​​​Stop bringing it up, dammit
                                                  Worst single ever. Hate it.
                                                  Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• all this doom and gloom for the last week, the bleakosity!

atrocious

This is why we need “Malibu” (D.Sue’s version) to tide us over

Comment

Working...
                                                    X