Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post
    I only want good music. As a fan I don't get why people only want certain featurings. I want her to express and show her artistry not just a collection of "people of the moment featurings" album.
    I want her to go deep like she's done in her memoirs, to produce and write her stuff and show her vision. Even if sometimes there are failures. Art is nor perfection.
    The days of hits, for me, are gone (I'm not counting her out). It's only that that kind of pressure makes some moments difficult to enjoy. She's done that, it's time to go into another chapter
    Ok I obviously want this too but cant she strive for both artistic and commercial? I mean, isnt that what Butterfly was? TEOM was really deep and showed tremendous growth and maturity but she still featured Nelly, Snoop, Twista. Why cant Mariah have a really deep compelling album and also have the weeknd or Bruno guest feature? You have to get people interested so they check her out. Sadly this is a business and the corporate morgue will only put up with so much before she is completely on her own.

Comment

• The thing is I prefer an honest album. I don't care if it's full of collabs or not. Even if it has great single material it isn't sure that is going to be a commercial success. I don't care, but you said that you don't want a MC16 if it's not with The Weeknd or Drake. It's not my case. I need new music

Comment

• No I said there is no point in creating something new to try and sell if it is not marketable. Caution was an amazing album that nobody heard. If we just want more Mariah songs then im sure she could just open the vault and just keep pumping out Rarities.

Comment

• Also Caution had a really really deep cut. Extremely deep. I wouldnt want an album with ten Portraits though. She is way more festive than that! And isnt it funny, the songs that people cite the most off of Caution all have features (The Distance, GML, SLLY). Funny how it seems like the lambs dont Know What they really want.

Comment

• Let the shade for yourself. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by MayoAndMustard View Post
              Guess who directed the video of Auld Lang Syne??

And probably it is the best (or the worst actually lol) job ever to be the assistant holding the fan whole day in front of Mariah.
              Hahahahahahahaha I never had a doubt about it! LOL
              Underneath The Stars

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post
                No I said there is no point in creating something new to try and sell if it is not marketable. Caution was an amazing album that nobody heard. If we just want more Mariah songs then im sure she could just open the vault and just keep pumping out Rarities.
                But, just maybe, Mariah is an artist that enjoys doing her thing. And, this is a stretch, but maybe, real fans still enjoy what she has to offer. Especially if the quality matches or exceeds Caution. While it is disappointing that many never heard a great record, I am unbothered by being in a select group that can properly appreciate it. That's taste dahling.

Comment

• I am curious about the question she posed to lambs about keeping some of her songs from other people's projects.

I wish there was a fuller discussion there as you could tell she wanted some feedback from how fans would feel.
                  See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I understand that but Mariah herself is motivated and passionate by collaborations. It is almost the one thing she always mentions or hints at. Memoirs was only the fourth album (of 15) where she didnt have a feature on the actual album, and at the same time created an alternate album filled with collaborations.

Deep and honest songs are great. But MC is so much more than that. Shes so festive and she loves a good hit!

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                      I am curious about the question she posed to lambs about keeping some of her songs from other people's projects.

I wish there was a fuller discussion there as you could tell she wanted some feedback from how fans would feel.
                      Sounded like she had been approached to use a song in a movie or show and she herself wants to keep certain songs from that avenue. It worked with Free Guy so I cant see her talking about that one but maybe others like Cant Let Go.

Comment

Sounded like she had been approached to use a song in a movie or show and she herself wants to keep certain songs from that avenue. It worked with Free Guy so I cant see her talking about that one but maybe others like Cant Let Go.
                        The first song that came to mind was something really personal like Close My Eyes. She had mentioned wanting to save some songs for her own project and then referenced the biopic.

I just wonder what the project is that she was approached about.

But you're right. It did wonders for Fantasy and it was well placed and used. I guess she is not as protective of the bigger hits that are less personal.

Comment

• Mariah would never reveal the project because its never her style to promote any other project especially if shes not willing to sell one of her songs to it. She may have been just speaking in general terms asking the opinions of lambs whether or not she should more aggressively seek out opportunities for her songs.

Personally I think the more exposure the better but I do think she should focus pimping out her #1s only because that way it adds to their legacy while keeping her deeper cuts more precious and close to her heart.

Comment

• Originally posted by MayoAndMustard View Post
                            Guess who directed the video of Auld Lang Syne??

And probably it is the best (or the worst actually lol) job ever to be the assistant holding the fan whole day in front of Mariah.
                            Sometimes I think we may have overestimated Mariah a bit... lol

Comment

• I’d love to rarities 2. I don’t care it’s successful or not. It was such a joy to experience and received this gift of songs I never thought I would get to listen to. I remember how euphoric I was when she announced it and then the speculation of the tracklist started and the excitement to know we’ll get to hear for the first time loverboy the original. What a great time to be a lamb 2020 was.

Comment

• Another MET Gala without Mariah. It’s one of the easy ways to maintain relevance during a low key year. Wish there was more effort on this.

Comment

• She's just not big enough of a fashion star to get invited to the MET. Her default of the usual glam ball gowns i'm not sure if creative or fashion forward enough for them to consider her a fashion trendsetter.

Yes she has had iconic looks but everyone does from time to time, the only way to get on these shows is if you have strong connections, you have had a major success or you've been invited by Vogue, Wintour or probably one of the major fashion houses (if you're an ambassador).

Sometimes being a star is to cultivate relationships around you that give you these opportunities. I don't think she commands enough weight amongst all the big fashion designers these days.

It's clear Mariah these days don't give much energy (even though i think she wants to go to things like the MET) to invest in steps that give her that opportunity.

Comment

• Rarities was a flop outside the fanbase.

The way she's releasing music or attending these Spaces it almost seems as though she's giving much of herself but not getting much in return. Yes, perhaps she gets the fan love, but commercially it does nothing for her. Rarities was barely known outside the fans and thus, they need to find a better way to release Rarities 2.

Dare I say it, they need to wait to release Rarities 2, right after a mega successful project or just hold it off until after she's gone.

If Madonna or Celine releases such a project it would be marketed very well and get more impact. Though it seems these days, Mariah is over the industry game which means she will suffer commercially and limit her opportunities and potential audience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post

Sometimes I think we may have overestimated Mariah a bit... lol
                                      Or her taste in her own music.

That's why everytime she says, there's something big coming i'm taking it with apprehension because her definition of big or great is really questionable these days.

Comment

Also Caution had a really really deep cut. Extremely deep. I wouldnt want an album with ten Portraits though. She is way more festive than that! And isnt it funny, the songs that people cite the most off of Caution all have features (The Distance, GML, SLLY). Funny how it seems like the lambs dont Know What they really want.
                                        That's because she has the most conflicted fanbase out of all the 90s queens. You know what you get with Celine, Janet and Madonna (despite her changes she is known for shock and reinvention)

There's always the 90s pop, AC leaning part of the fanbase (that loves everything Daydream and before) and the group that believes MIAM or even Glitter is amongst the Top 5 in her discography. ahem.

She will never win because these factions will continue to be at opposite ends until the end of the earth.

I wonder why Mariah doesn't just appeal to both and release seperate album projects catering to both genres. I don't think she hates pop or balladry so there's no reason why she can't churn out another project more akin to that.

The way Celine does French albums, she can do the same with different genres.

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post
                                          I’d love to rarities 2. I don’t care it’s successful or not. It was such a joy to experience and received this gift of songs I never thought I would get to listen to. I remember how euphoric I was when she announced it and then the speculation of the tracklist started and the excitement to know we’ll get to hear for the first time loverboy the original. What a great time to be a lamb 2020 was.
                                          She gave us all in 2020. I still listen to Rarities and some songs are fresh af.

Comment

• DUPLICATE

Comment

I am curious about the question she posed to lambs about keeping some of her songs from other people's projects.

Yeah it was actually a deep question though the lamb that was responding clearly didn't grasp the gravitas of the question or just blurted out that "go with the flow" WTF does that mean. She is asking a very pointed question there LOL. I think she quickly realised that it was wrong to ask such as question on such a space, she will never get the deep response she wants (OR we can summise that she clearly doesn't want to let those songs go, so she is just looking for reassurance from the fans to say keep it....but obviously that lamb had a totally different opinion from hers).

Obviously someone (potentially a big artist or company) has approached her to either use her signature songs as a sample or cover it fully (likely, her biggest signature songs like Fantasy, WBT, Hero, AIWFCIY).....she will obviously get a big monetary return but she runs the risk of that song being associated with someone else (perhaps younger or more modern) going forward.

It's hard to say one way or another as we don't know the context. But my gut instinct says keep it for yourself.

These songs are already big enough and synonmous with her. She doesn't need to dilute them with other versions. What's there to gain really. If you're not looking for money or chart success, why bother in a market full of content. Better to focus the energy on her own projects.

I'm not sure why she even bothers asking these deep questions on the space where all she's going to get it "yaaas queen" "I love you" "whatever you like I like". It's something she should ask in a more controlled setting where lambs are given the time and spacce to think rather than talking over each other and letting their dream of speaking to Mariah get in their way of thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
                                                If Madonna or Celine releases such a project it would be marketed very well and get more impact. Though it seems these days, Mariah is over the industry game which means she will suffer commercially and limit her opportunities and potential audience.

I think Madonna and Celine release material much more infrequently though, so that is something to consider. Another to consider is that Mariah releases R&B music which is not as huge as Pop. But these may also be seen as excuses. Fair enough.

I think it is right for Mariah to focus on releasing things she wants and she cares about vs. looking for commercial success. I disagree that she has limited opportunities.

Comment

I think Madonna and Celine release material much more infrequently though, so that is something to consider. Another to consider is that Mariah releases R&B music which is not as huge as Pop. But these may also be seen as excuses. Fair enough.

I think it is right for Mariah to focus on releasing things she wants and she cares about vs. looking for commercial success. I disagree that she has limited opportunities.
                                                  I don't Mariah's release schedule really differs much from Madonna and Celine, they've all been taking 3-4 year breaks between major studio albums these days.

The main differentiation is the type of music they release that appeals globally, touring and label investment where they're still considered huge bread winners, if not in sales then in other touring or marketing opportunities.

Mariah is not a touring force, her genre is limiting on a global stage. Also, all the big connections and label support that she use to command in various parts of the world has evaporated.

It's a shame because such great bodies of work like Rarities should be known and marketed broader but she lacks the resources and label support to do it well and quickly.

I think that the steps she's taken in music has limited her opportunities, she's probably considered in the industry as a bit unreliable (vocally and with the massive misteps in the 10s decade)...so for a company to pour money into her, they're never guaranteed the return. And the laws of diminishing returns ensues.....

Thank god for AIWFCIY she was resucitated, though even then, one can argue whether she should've seized that momment more and pushed her non-Christmas studio albums MC16 more. But perhaps the shop has sailed and this is as big as we'll get these days for non-Christmas (i.e. Caution style promotion).

Comment

• I think The Rarities were mismanaged. It was an ideal chance to cater to the AC audience she lost after Daydream. It had big ballads no one can sing anymore. Starting the “era” with STD insted HWG or OHOMO was another fail.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X