Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WEBofDESIRE View Post

But, just maybe, Mariah is an artist that enjoys doing her thing. And, this is a stretch, but maybe, real fans still enjoy what she has to offer. Especially if the quality matches or exceeds Caution. While it is disappointing that many never heard a great record, I am unbothered by being in a select group that can properly appreciate it. That's taste dahling.
    LOL, real fans?

Comment

• It's great that people love The Rarities considering it was something she wanted to do and led without any huge label investment.

See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by itsjosmar View Post
        I think The Rarities were mismanaged. It was an ideal chance to cater to the AC audience she lost after Daydream. It had big ballads no one can sing anymore. Starting the “era” with STD insted HWG or OHOMO was another fail.
        Agreed.

It wasn't hyped outside fan twitter and didn't capitalise on the nostalgia. These sorts of projects needs to be fueled by nostalgia and curiosity and sometimes you need a great marketing campaign to ignite that nostalgia (take a look at the way Abba was able to launch globally to release Voyage, yes there was pent up demand but the things they did were next level).

They need to realise that they can't just rely on the lambs these days, it's a small fanbase (who has shown that they can't stream). ​​​​​Sales fizzled after the first week.

I don't get these people who say that it's enough to appeal to a room of 5 people. Would we prefer that or would we prefer having the project discussed and brought up in conversations amongst the general public and for there to be enthusiasm again for nostalgic Mariah music. It's clearly there in Free Guy, though they haven't been able to tap into that nostalgia yet with any shenanigans they've been pulling the past year even with MC30 outside of her core fanbase.

Free Guys tells us that there will always be a market for Mariah, though she's been let down by a marketing campaign and push that is unbeffitting of an artist of her calibre. ​​

Comment

• Originally posted by ElusiveButterfly View Post
          I wouldn’t mind for Rarities Part 2! She has so many hidden gems did she mentioned SUD??

On Twitter she wrote she had to dodge a « corporate morgue » call to do the Twitter Space. I don’t know what’s going on with the label but talking like this on social media is weird and sure won’t help any situation she has…
          Indeed, should've kept it to herself. The fans don't need to know nor will it help that relationship or whatever she's doing to mend or work through.

If you treat people like your enemies than they will become one eventually.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
            It's great that people love The Rarities considering it was something she wanted to do and led without any huge label investment.
            Maybe thats the big question that nobody can actually answer.

Why isnt every Mariah project met with great enthusiasm by the label? She is MARIAH CAREY

if a project like the Rarities which intertwines the nostalgia of peak Mariah, isnt going to be invested in, yet a current critically acclaimed album like Caution isnt either then where does that leave her?

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post

Why isnt every Mariah project met with great enthusiasm by the label? She is MARIAH CAREY

if a project like the Rarities which intertwines the nostalgia of peak Mariah, isnt going to be invested in, yet a current critically acclaimed album like Caution isnt either then where does that leave her?
              Exactly where she is now where every album project will be met with a drip of fan fueled sales then fizzle out completely within weeks and then barely streamed. Look at Caution and Rarities, amongst her lowest streaming albums these days despite being the most recent releases.

Promotion was concentrated on the fans and that fizzled after the first week as well. In today's market where new music is churned out weekly, literally hundreds and hundreds of songs, there's no lack of content. You need to do even more to get your music heard. Without label support and strong management to build excitement and align the opportunities then all you're left with is an indie release that's reliant on the size of the fanbase to know that you have music out.

It's clear the lamb fanbase is very small and particularly skewed fanbase. It obviously leans more on the gay spectrum scattered with longstanding fans and those who can identify with the lyrics. She doesn't have the biggest listeners....straight male audience (most of whom listen to hip-hop and rap these days), she doesn't have the straight female audience (who tend to probably skew more pop, radio friendly hits or indie or female empowerment), she doesn't have the elderly audience nor does she really have the super young audience. She's sort of a bit nowhere in terms of music demographic these days.....i also don't think she really has the black audience down as well (they don't really give her the support like they do with someone like Toni Braxton....and i think it's down to her identity....like she said, not black enough and also not white enough.

Law of diminishing returns. She has not invested enough to build her image and break out of the cycle and thus, she's still in that cycle of diminishing returns.
              Last edited by skylynx; Mon September 13, 2021, 18:50.

Comment

I am completely guessing here

But one issue with the Rarities could be that there are multiple (sub)-labels involved? Like yeah it's on Sony as an umbrella but required work from other labels and Mariah's own vault too?

I dont know but I think the other thing is that it is not new music.

I hate to think like this but knowing "the suits" maybe they also think music from the vault is more valuable when she is no longer around so they have no incentive to cooperate now?
                See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• One thing for sure during the next era, she HAS to get on Instagram serving looks. She has to. Social media is everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                    One thing for sure during the next era, she HAS to get on Instagram serving looks. She has to. Social media is everything.
                    Those who don't think that aesthetic has anything to do with music is kidding themselves. There's something to be said about cohesive looks that compliment the music and the experience.

I look back fondly at albums like Janet's Velvet Rope to Mariah's Caution, all very cohesive visually. When you see a colour tone or outfit you instantly know that it's from that era. It just heightens the enjoyment of the music itself and get's people talking....which we know breeds more excitement and actually increases the love of the music itself.

For an artist like Mariah who is very glam and known for her great feminity....i think people appreciate the visuals that come with the music.

Comment

• A surprise appearance would've brought the house down here. I mean an I KNow What you Want x Where I belong segment would've

Mariah stop sleeping or playing with your live band stuff and come here instead.....

Comment

• Maybe shes hit a wall in regards to MC16. Either her own creativity at the moment or the way the corporate morgue wants to steer it. So possibly a second Rarities albums was thrown out there so she can still at least put out something this year which will bring in some income. She still has a lot of people to employ and she herself needs to keep making new money. I could see the Rarities 2 being a stop gap measure until she gets MC16 really off the ground. I mean, she could potentially have hundreds of songs that she could make into mini Rarities-eras.

whatevers going on behind the scenes I will tell you she didnt sound very happy on the Twitter space. Actually an air of sadness in her voice. I wonder if she is feeling the pinch from the label or she realizes without Christmas there is not too many places to go.

Must be hard when she thinks back to a time where she was on top of the world.
                        Last edited by tee; Mon September 13, 2021, 19:23.

Comment

• Above commercial success, my wish for the next album is great melodies. Ballads like Butterfly that grab you from the first listen, Morales dance remixes that send shivers down your spine. OK, she’s not going to be working with Walter any time soon but what about the guy who wrote TTR. I’m so much hoping for a bunch of songs that I will want to play on repeat for months on end! Mariah, you can so deliver!

And yes, the aesthetics should be good too. Sexy guy in the video. Mariah looking hot. Rolling around on a beach. Serving up the feels of being in love!

Comment

• Wow! After listening to Mariah in that Twitter Spaces session, I came here to share my excitement, but I see some people are not feeling it

I might be wrong, but I think Mariah ultimate purpose is to enjoy what she does while giving her fans the best she can come up with. And I am ok with it.
                            I am truly excited for whatever she has in stores for us fans.

Comment

Maybe shes hit a wall in regards to MC16. Either her own creativity at the moment or the way the corporate morgue wants to steer it. So possibly a second Rarities albums was thrown out there so she can still at least put out something this year which will bring in some income. She still has a lot of people to employ and she herself needs to keep making new money. I could see the Rarities 2 being a stop gap measure until she gets MC16 really off the ground. I mean, she could potentially have hundreds of songs that she could make into mini Rarities-eras.

whatevers going on behind the scenes I will tell you she didnt sound very happy on the Twitter space. Actually an air of sadness in her voice. I wonder if she is feeling the pinch from the label or she realizes without Christmas there is not too many places to go.

Must be hard when she thinks back to a time where she was on top of the world.
                              Whilst she was clearly having a certain momment towards the end i don't think it's because without Christmas there is not too many places to go. I don't think that's the right way of looking at it.

She's clearly under pressure from somewhere so perhaps needs that outlet or reassurance. It could well be she's balancing too many things at the momment, clearly excited but need that unfiltered love to prop her up.

There's many places she can go with MC16, though from earlier news it's likely she's going down the live band type sound for a whole album. Whilst i'm not particularly keen on that idea as I want big fun pop bangers I can see that it may help her tour some of these songs more if they're already coming from a live band roots.

I personally think MC16 is going to be a 2022 thing. At best we'll see 1 non-Christmas collab, at worst, it's just whatever she's doing for Christmas.

She's sitting on some of these things for way too long. SUD would've worked had she striked when the iron was hot with the memoirs chatter and came out early in 2021 with at least 1 single.....but now, the heat has kind worn off and it's being lost in the shuffle amongst all her projects.
                              Last edited by skylynx; Mon September 13, 2021, 19:59.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfeagle View Post
                                Above commercial success, my wish for the next album is great melodies. Ballads like Butterfly that grab you from the first listen, Morales dance remixes that send shivers down your spine. OK, she’s not going to be working with Walter any time soon but what about the guy who wrote TTR. I’m so much hoping for a bunch of songs that I will want to play on repeat for months on end! Mariah, you can so deliver!

And yes, the aesthetics should be good too. Sexy guy in the video. Mariah looking hot. Rolling around on a beach. Serving up the feels of being in love!
                                I think she had a falling out with her co-writer in TTR if Im not mistaken. Without Walter we will be hard pressed to get the those immediate ballads ala Butterfly.

Comment

• I thought Caution actually had good melodies though they're not ones you can easily sing along to nor are they the type of evergreen melodies like Always Be My Baby where every line is a great melody.

She needs to keep it simple and singable.......most of her works these days are very chatty, wordy which doesn't let the melody line shine through.

Comment

• Madonna surely knows how to make an entrance. She get's alot of opening momments....and the way she still commands the respect and excitement from the crowd.

Has me thinking when was the last time Mimi opened anything.....was it Fantasy at the American Music Awards?

Comment

• I just thought her mention of thinking maybe she should release more music with another tie in was her getting bad advice

I think if we look at Memoirs and Rarities and MCIIY, the music never got as much shine as whatever else she was promoting, like perfume, QVC, the Meaning of Mariah

She gets excited about whatever she is doing because she is so involved in all of her other endeavors, and sometimes forgets to talk about the music too

When she releases music, the interviews and the magazine profiles and the promotion should be about the music

And the music will get more attention if she brings back exciting music videos, like 2019 AIWFCIY
                                      Last edited by allygdale; Mon September 13, 2021, 21:04.

Comment

• The Rarities was great, I still listen to it a lot.

And it's got the longest stretch on a Mariah album I can listen to without any skips

DYTOM through to Mesmerized is 10 tracks

(I don't know any of the other songs on the album though)

Comment

Also Caution had a really really deep cut. Extremely deep. I wouldnt want an album with ten Portraits though. She is way more festive than that! And isnt it funny, the songs that people cite the most off of Caution all have features (The Distance, GML, SLLY). Funny how it seems like the lambs dont Know What they really want.
                                          Those are not my favorites from the Caution album. I prefer GTFO, Portrait, Caution and With You. She doesn't need features IMO.

I enjoyed The Rarities in full, so 2.0 is very welcome. But new written songs are very welcome as well. And I'm also ready for new Christmas songs. She's still the only artist I know that has given us at least one new song every year since 1990. #grateful
                                          My most streamed artists: 1. Mariah 2. Madonna 3. Debbie Gibson 4. Céline Dion 5. Lara Fabian 6. Kylie 7. Whitney 8. Meghan Trainor 9. Ariana Grande 10. Tina Arena 11. Sam Smith 12. Janet Jackson

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

She's still the only artist I know that has given us at least one new song every year since 1990. #grateful
                                            We are the most SPOILED fan base, and I’m forever grateful!

This, like most other areas of her career, are unmatched.

Comment

• Originally posted by roguetrippn View Post

We are the most SPOILED fan base, and I’m forever grateful!

This, like most other areas of her career, is unmatched.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeejust View Post
                                                Another MET Gala without Mariah. It’s one of the easy ways to maintain relevance during a low key year. Wish there was more effort on this.
                                                I actually feel that she has become quite reclusive lately. I know Covid happened, but before she used to take part in random concerts/award shows. In a couple of weeks we'll have the Global Citizen event in NYC and apparently she won't be there as well . She just exposes herself more around the holiday season.

Comment

• I'm hoping she'll release her next lead single right after Christmas when her face and voice are everywhere and she's basically the most streamed artist globally.
                                                  Imagine if she released a song with someone big like Drake on December 27th and there was a Christmas reference in his rapping? Would definitely go viral.

I have a feeling there will be a third Christmas album though, which explains the long wait for MC16. I mean, normally she would have to wait a little longer as 2010 wasn't too long ago but since she's becoming bigger and bigger with each Christmas, it might be her label that pushed her to make one. I mean, you can't do anniversary editions, new music videos and TV specials forever. And a third holiday album with big collaborations is something that her label would likely invest a lot in. I mean, just compare the AIW 2019 video to anything she's done since Touch My Body and you can see how the industry works.

Comment

• I too can see her recording a new Christmas album with her voice being in such a good place. It might be now or never.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X