Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tee View Post
    Since it was MTVs anniversary and also Glitters 20th Anniversary would not have it been cool if she showed up on stage with an oversized Loverboy T-shirt and then proceed to strip revealing a black turtle neck underneath! She could have also had Carson Daly in on it or even present an award with him. It would be so MTV! Walking out with the Loverboy theme music and the T-shirt would have been more Iconic than even Madonnas New York montage.
    This would have been so perfect. A skit like this would make Loverboy blow up on all digital outlets.
    My Chart

Comment

• And also would have let Mariah take back the narrative on the strip tease story. It would have been so on brand for her because she could be fun and cheeky while telling people to gtfo at the same time. She very much needs a team that thinks outside the box and ways to tie in her legacy and old songs into a new day and age.

And most importantly it would have given #Glitter20 a huge spotlight
      Last edited by tee; Tue September 14, 2021, 17:25.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElusiveButterfly View Post
        I’m sure MC16 can have success if they do things properly like some of y’all said. It’s too bad if the label thinks she is worth to invest only during Christmas. There’s been several issues with Mariah’s career for a long time and yes there’s ageism in the industry but thats mostly in the US, in the rest of the world they don’t care and it would be good for her to put back the focus on the rest of the world and not do things only for the US. As for her image, things have been better with Roc Nation but there’s still plenty of work to do.
        With the right campaign, the right visuals and the right single choices (something they mismanaged since E=MC2), she could make a great comeback and not be confined to Christmas stuff.
        I’m not supporting the idea of another Christmas album now, she needs to show she’s not only here for December and push her non-holiday legacy and continue to release new music that can be heard and that people will see. I mean Celine and Madonna are not selling much either right now but at least their new releases have much bigger campaigns and impact.
        Ageism doesn't impact Madonna from scoring opening gigs or JLO to be invited to sing and parade at the MET.

Everyone in New York is there at the MET but Mariah, ugh,.

Comment

• Even Alicia Keys was there and I dont see her anymore of a fashion icon then Mariah. It could very well be that Mariah just isnt as liked out there. I feel she keeps a small circle and is really great to them but doesnt go above and beyond to make new friends.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
            I agree with the idea the Mariah has become quite unreliable in terms of quality and return. Caution was a fantastic album and realistically, her albums are always fabulous bodies of work. They don’t tend to sell well these days though because the singles she releases from them (and the ones in between) have been really below par over the last 10 years. #Beautiful has been the only really great single since 2010.

I personally feel like she’s lonely in her releases when she has them and that she has no backing from anyone. I just sense that she’s out there pretty much on her own sometimes.

People continuously say “she’s doing songs she likes now… she doesn’t need the success”.. but surely she can have both. I’m all for her releasing a banger that she loves. They don’t have to be two separate things. I’m sure she loves most of her successful songs too lol.

I just get frustrated when she has an album as solid as Caution and it goes unheard because they didn’t go the extra mile and launch it with a brilliant lead single to grab the public.
            Her and her team are clueless selecting the singles. They play too safe. When you can't win either way (which is what Caution showed) it's better to go bold with your choices.

And that's what's disappointing, each album or release now is uninspired and regardless of how much effort she puts out it doesn't seem as though she's getting much back in return.

Sometimes you do need to give and take and she's been too stubborn in her ways now that she has control that she has lost sight of what sells.

If you want fans, if you want new creative opportunities you need to invest and work at it. She's been too passive in her choices.

That's why JLO can still score red carpet experiences whereas Mariah is sleeping and probably not invited to any of these gigs.

Comment

• If Mariah wants a hit she can have one in about two seconds. Its called working with Max Martin. Having Drake featured on the track would all but secure the deal, but Mariah and Martins melodic ears would smash radio. She is not going to do it however.

Maybe that is what her lambs should ask in the next chat. Instead of praising albums that are almost 30 years old lets tell her where we hope she can go to next.

Comment

Since it was MTVs anniversary and also Glitters 20th Anniversary would not have it been cool if she showed up on stage with an oversized Loverboy T-shirt and then proceed to strip revealing a black turtle neck underneath! She could have also had Carson Daly in on it or even present an award with him. It would be so MTV! Walking out with the Loverboy theme music and the T-shirt would have been more Iconic than even Madonnas New York montage.
                Absolutely LOVE this idea!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WEBofDESIRE View Post
                  @Michiel I hear you.

I think huge commercial success is a ship no longer in the harbor at this point. Not to say she can't still release great work and have success on a smaller scale. She should work to build on the AC/Hot AC/Urban AC foundation she has and see if she can have some "hits" on that format. AC isn't powerful enough today to put songs on the top of the billboard chart, but it's still an audience beyond the lambs and even chart specific #1s and top 10s have a way of adding some prestige to an album and/or the songs themselves.

To me a big colab for her would be with another artist that is strong on the AC formats.
                  Her fanbase really hasn't grown that much, it's now even more concentrated on just the gays and the handful of listeners who are still around from the 90s + a few new ones along the way.

She has neglected various aspects of her fanbase in her pursuit of rnb.

Does she even realise who her fanbase is anymore (if her view is the type that joins the twitter spaces) then she is limiting herself.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
                    I think the majority of us accept that she isn’t going to be a front runner again but she could be more successful than she is with better singles and more investment, financially and emotionally. Apart from a couple of weeks for caution (in the US only), it was just left to rot. I guess I’d just like the same amount of effort she puts in for her Christmas projects. Lol.
                    That’s exactly what I would like. To see her put more efforts in her non-Christmas projects. More investment, better choices for the singles and visuals. And promote outside of the US! I think she has also become very lazy with this, which I can get after so many years but it’s annoying to see so much effort put on Christmas and almost nothing outside of this…

Comment

• Originally posted by am1 View Post

Mariah is busy writing songs and making new stuff. J.Lo obviously has more free time at the moment.
                      She'll come back when she's done working and ready for promo mode.
                      Sometimes it's now about how many apperancces but which ones that count, which ones make the most social and news headlines.

The MET is one, it's global fashion news. JLO is there again.

The VMA opening, Madonna was literally the first thing mentioned on all the news articles i've read.

Celine has her new last Vegas gig.

Mariah hasn't done anything remotelly at those scales this year. Only the lambs thinks shes done alot. Yes she's active on social media but clap clap yay yay it's forgotten after a minute. Whereas these big appearances can create energy and show the public that you're still amongst the A-List. It reaches a much broader audience than those who follow you on twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by ElusiveButterfly View Post
                        Absolutely LOVE this idea!!
                        Well Mariah has not even won an MTV VMA so it's only fitting that in its 40th anniversary the only pioneers of MTV (besides Michael) that is still around is Madonna.

But yes that idea would be cool if executed but yet again, she's sleeping....so....

Comment

If Mariah wants a hit she can have one in about two seconds. Its called working with Max Martin. Having Drake featured on the track would all but secure the deal, but Mariah and Martins melodic ears would smash radio. She is not going to do it however.

Maybe that is what her lambs should ask in the next chat. Instead of praising albums that are almost 30 years old lets tell her where we hope she can go to next.
                          The issue is none of them probably want to work with her when they have way more in-demand artists.

If they want the voice, go to Ariana (like the Weekend does) or those who can command bigger streaming (Cardi B, Megan, Doja).

She's just not that in demand. Yes they probably like Mariah but it's not like they have to choose between Mariah and nothing else.

It's Mariah vs. many other collab opportunities.

Comment

Even Alicia Keys was there and I dont see her anymore of a fashion icon then Mariah. It could very well be that Mariah just isnt as liked out there. I feel she keeps a small circle and is really great to them but doesnt go above and beyond to make new friends.
                            Well she said it herself. These days she waits for people to come to her (i.e. people who love her, i.e. JoJo, MBB) or need something from her (i.e. a sample). She waits to be introduced (Blood Orange, Skrillex) rather than thinking more creatively about how her music can grow and learn.

Her circle thus becomes as you say very small, filled with the same yes people and dare I say it, black people who are also way past their prime, Maxwell, JJ-TL, Brandy.

She was so innovative back in the day, what on earth happened. I'm sure there's still a fire in her.....she needs to take more chances musically.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post

Well Mariah has not even won an MTV VMA so it's only fitting that in its 40th anniversary the only pioneers of MTV (besides Michael) that is still around is Madonna.

But yes that idea would be cool if executed but yet again, she's sleeping....so....
                              ... but she was nominated like 6 times or so. It's a travesty that she didn't win one. She deserved at least 1. Why does Beyoncé have like 30? It's so weird...
                              My Chart

Comment

She was so innovative back in the day, what on earth happened. I'm sure there's still a fire in her.....she needs to take more chances musically.
                                There is no fire in her anymore. She hates promoting her music and she hates having to perform, I feel.

All she does want to do is write and produce music and then be done with it. (the enya approach).

Also, she is a aware that a cheap ass crisp commercial in the UK would get her more money than 100x Caution-size albums.
                                My Chart

Comment

• Maybe she's just happy at home with her kids after decades of being in the public eye rather than some fashion event?

And tbh I don't expect a 50 year old mum to be going out of her way to make friends lol.... From experience once you hit 30 you're stuck with the friends you've got haha (mostly)

Comment

I disagree entirely.

If anything MTV, TRL and Carson Daly should offer an unequivocal apology for their exaggeration and treatment of her.

Doing this gives them an out for a moment that really was innocent without their commentary.
                                    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

There is no fire in her anymore. She hates promoting her music and she hates having to perform, I feel.

All she does want to do is write and produce music and then be done with it. (the enya approach).

Also, she is a aware that a cheap ass crisp commercial in the UK would get her more money than 100x Caution-size albums.
                                      Well that's Christmas related which we know is just a different beast.

I think she still has some fire, though perhaps after years of knockbacks and setbaks, she's probably tired and resigned to the idea that let's not bother with the shenigans as it's not guaranteed for success.

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

I disagree entirely.

If anything MTV, TRL and Carson Daly should offer an unequivocal apology for their exaggeration and treatment of her.

Doing this gives them an out for a moment that really was innocent without their commentary.
                                        This will not happen unless there's a FreeMariah level outpour........that's what took the likes of Justing Timberlake to slither out and finally give an apology to Britney and Janet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki View Post
                                          Maybe she's just happy at home with her kids after decades of being in the public eye rather than some fashion event?

And tbh I don't expect a 50 year old mum to be going out of her way to make friends lol.... From experience once you hit 30 you're stuck with the friends you've got haha (mostly)
                                          Marah doesn't strike me as that person, her appearance and excitement at being at the Golden Globes tells me she wants to be at these events.....though unfortunately for her, she's not invited.

Comment

• I see a Jazz Album of the Year at some point in her career! Maybe Gospel Album of the Year.
                                            http://marcokircher.com
                                            http://reverbnation.com/marcokircher/songs

My YT Channel!
                                            https://www.youtube.com/user/Cashiado
                                            IG: marco235

Comment

Marah doesn't strike me as that person, her appearance and excitement at being at the Golden Globes tells me she wants to be at these events.....though unfortunately for her, she's not invited.
                                              But, there's a difference of attending events due to being nominated, and being a presenter, and just attending for no other reason. She could have also been excited about being honoured through such a nomination especially as it was for her songwriting.

Comment

But, there's a difference of attending events due to being nominated, and being a presenter, and just attending for no other reason. She could have also been excited about being honoured through such a nomination especially as it was for her songwriting.
                                                I don't think people really need to have a specific reason to attend. These people are in the business, this is their world, their circle. I mean the events need attendees or else they would be pretty empty.
                                                " And i think you should take a second just to look at your reflection
                                                Baby maybe you're the problem "

Comment

• Mariah didn't attend Michael K. Williams funeral services today but she sent flowers
                                                  https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/0...ving-back.html

Originally posted by InFamous View Post

I don't think people really need to have a specific reason to attend. These people are in the business, this is their world, their circle. I mean the events need attendees or else they would be pretty empty.
                                                  Of course. But that goes against the idea of not being invited.

Comment

Mariah didn't attend Michael K. Williams funeral services today but she sent flowers
                                                    https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/0...ving-back.html

Of course. But that goes against the idea of not being invited.
                                                    Do people actually have to be invited to the MTV music awards ? I missed that part of the convo sorry. I mean I am sure if Mariah wanted a seat she could easily get one.
                                                    " And i think you should take a second just to look at your reflection
                                                    Baby maybe you're the problem "

Comment

Working...
                                                    X