No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for farks sake... why the European Union when this is a problem for Ireland. #Irexit. I need ma mimi merch.
    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by banksy View Post
      Mariah can’t sell Black Irish anywhere in the European Union for the time being, and the guy who owns the company disputing her trademark is a total ass trying to get famous off her.

He bragged about being the first Google image result when you search her name. He thinks his parents would be proud of him for trying to capitalize off someone else’s name. How effing weird is that?
      Well to be fair if he already got the trademark before her he’s right. would you let it go of your product because someone more famous and richer is trying to sell a product with the same name as yours?

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
        for farks sake... why the European Union when this is a problem for Ireland. #Irexit. I need ma mimi merch.
        Hopefully they will be available in the UK soon

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post

Well to be fair if he already got the trademark before her he’s right. would you let it go of your product because someone more famous and richer is trying to sell a product with the same name as yours?
          tbh I wouldn't. But what a faux-pas on her team... they might have to change the name for Europe... (the world's 2nd largest global market after the US).
          My Chart

Comment

• …can she give us Mariah's Cookies instead then?
            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Your favs could never

Comment

tbh I wouldn't. But what a faux-pas on her team... they might have to change the name for Europe... (the world's 2nd largest global market after the US).
                The full legal name for BI is different from the other company, as is the liqueur from their product, but since it has “Black Irish” in the name, it’s a conflict. I would vote for her to change the name and focus on her new business. Yeah, it sucks to lose, but the longer this goes on, the longer he can use it to bash her while making a few extra sales off her name.

And MM2912, the guy has said some low-key racist about Mariah as he’s tried to take advantage of her, but yeah, let’s admonish Mariah.

Comment

Agreed. They clearly did not do their research, which is a shame.

It is like almost everything she does has some controversy around it.
                  Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                  Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Agreed. They clearly did not do their research, which is a shame.

It is like almost everything she does has some controversy around it.
                    Is there some other controversy right now with her?
                    funny how one can learn
                    to grow numb to the madness
                    and block it away

Comment

• Just bad management is all. Small details like this were never missed in the 90s.

I know everyone loves Melissa but I do believe the pussy cat doll fired her as manager before she landed Mariah. I dont think shes all that everyone cracks her up to be. More competent than Stella for sure, but the bar was set so low to begin with.

Comment

The full legal name for BI is different from the other company, as is the liqueur from their product, but since it has “Black Irish” in the name, it’s a conflict. I would vote for her to change the name and focus on her new business. Yeah, it sucks to lose, but the longer this goes on, the longer he can use it to bash her while making a few extra sales off her name.

And MM2912, the guy has said some low-key racist about Mariah as he’s tried to take advantage of her, but yeah, let’s admonish Mariah.
                        I really don’t know what he said or not. I’m talking about if someone had the trademark before they shouldn’t give up their rights because some celebrity released the same product using the exact name. It doesn’t matter who’s involved

Comment

All the info is here if you are interested.

Clearly the other company had the trademark first - it is an open and shut case.

Mariah and her team should just change the name and move on.

https://thecurrency.news/articles/57...ck-irish-name/
                          Last edited by InFamous; Sat September 18, 2021, 02:46.
                          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

All the info is here if you are interested.

Clearly the other company had the trademark first - it is an open and shut case.

Mariah and her team should just change the name and move on.

https://thecurrency.news/articles/57...ck-irish-name/
                            thanks for the link. I didn’t read everything cause it’s very long, but I see they have the rights in the EU and have this company for many years. I don’t see the point of that other lamb coming for Mariah’s defense and to be angry because someone pointed out the rights o fthe original owner of the trademark. It’s funny some lamb thinks someone should give up their rights because it’s Mariah Carey involved.

Comment

• Originally posted by JeremySpears View Post
                              30 years of "Emotions"!

It's been exactly 30 years when Mariah set foot on Mars, the first human being to do so.

Comment

I really don’t know what he said or not. I’m talking about if someone had the trademark before they shouldn’t give up their rights because some celebrity released the same product using the exact name. It doesn’t matter who’s involved
                                You really should educate yourself on the entirety of the facts instead of just what has been sensationalized. The New York Time's article has an excellent accounting of what's transpired, sans dramatics.

Mariah's company, Lotion, LLC, compromised after this Irish company refused to budge on its trademark claim, and filed a mark for A Cause For Celebration Black Irish, but the regulators rejected it. The company Mariah is working with has challenged the Irish company's claim to the mark for a number of factors, and that isn't unique in business, nor does it implicate a wealthy celebrity throwing her weight around to get what she wants. It isn't settled. The regulators are now reviewing Mariah's claims about whether or not they hold the mark legitimately.

Law is my stock and trade, and I would explain this further if you weren't disinterested in the facts and didn't hate Mariah. It's not as simple as the other company has made it out to be.

Also, the racism is very much worth noting here. He wouldn't have dared tried the denigration had she been a man or fully white. It's weird and oddly misogynistic that a man would brag about being the first image result for a woman.

Comment

• The NYT said it clear, these cases are very common. There's no controversy. I'm sure she can change the name a bit or make a deal with that other trademark.
                                  She has a lawyers team who make this research, it's not her duty.

Comment

You really should educate yourself on the entirety of the facts instead of just what has been sensationalized. The New York Time's article has an excellent accounting of what's transpired, sans dramatics.

Mariah's company, Lotion, LLC, compromised after this Irish company refused to budge on its trademark claim, and filed a mark for A Cause For Celebration Black Irish, but the regulators rejected it. The company Mariah is working with has challenged the Irish company's claim to the mark for a number of factors, and that isn't unique in business, nor does it implicate a wealthy celebrity throwing her weight around to get what she wants. It isn't settled. The regulators are now reviewing Mariah's claims about whether or not they hold the mark legitimately.

Law is my stock and trade, and I would explain this further if you weren't disinterested in the facts and didn't hate Mariah. It's not as simple as the other company has made it out to be.

Also, the racism is very much worth noting here. He wouldn't have dared tried the denigration had she been a man or fully white. It's weird and oddly misogynistic that a man would brag about being the first image result for a woman.
                                    I've worked for years in a telco company in the product area development and this kind of situations appear time after time. Even, there are trademarked brands that are not used and mkt people don't know. The man is making an issue of something that it's not. Also he says "this is publicity" and it's what he's doing.
                                    What I love are those fans throwing her under the bus anytime they can, even if it's about legal stuff
                                    Last edited by delapuerta; Sat September 18, 2021, 06:44.

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post

I've worked for years in a telco company in the product area development and this kind of situations appear time after time. Even, there are trademarked brands that are not used and mkt people don't know. The man is making an issue of something that it's not. Also he says "this is publicity" and it's what he's doing.
                                      What I love are those fans throwing her under the bus anytime they can, even if it's about legal stuff
                                      Coz it is a good segue for the argument that Mariah making wrong decisions again...
                                      A place in time still belongs to us...

Comment

• Originally posted by carey18ph View Post

Coz it is a good segue for the argument that Mariah making wrong decisions again...
                                        Even if she does, it's her money.
                                        But this is not wrong, she can rename her liquor and selling in in the UE. This happens all the time

Comment

• I found some really interesting information on Mariah. I always assumed she was just white/black and I knew she said her grandfather was Venezuelan but I didn’t realize most Venezuelans are also mixed race. Wikipedia says the average person there is (60.60% European, 23% of Native American contribution and 16% of African.). Then I did some research and found out that census records show that her grandfather was actually born in Cuba, not Venezuela.(https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Talk:Mar...rey/Archive_18). If we go by Wikipedia says the average Cuban is ( 72% European, 20% African and 8% Amerindian.). Now we get half our DNA from our parents and about 25% of our DNA from each grandparent. If we assume her grandfather was cuban and her grandmother was 75% black, which is the average for African Americans, her Father would have been around (48.5% White / 47.5% Black / 4% Amerindian). We know her mother is 100% Irish so if we mix that together you get Mariah as being: (White: 74.25 / Black: 23.75% / Amerindian: 2%). And I can definitely see this as she has been white passing at times. Now she could have a little more Native, or Black, but I don’t think she’s any more European than 75%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imopink1 View Post
                                            I found some really interesting information on Mariah.
                                            Interesting study.

Some may argue that race is socially constructed and, therefore, these specific breakdowns are irrelevant as it may be due to how you phenotypically look including skin colour, hair type, etc etc. Not to mention other issues such as the way you speak, culture and so on.

The US race history is so complex. I like that Mariah used some of her memoir to situate herself (to the world).
                                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by carey18ph View Post

What was it ya’ll were saying about going on about things you can’t change? Beating a dead horse, I think it was labelled.

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post
                                                Just bad management is all. Small details like this were never missed in the 90s.
                                                No we just had bigger issues like her own label sabotaging her and her management were unable to help

Comment

• Totally off topic but I was too young to really relate or understand the songs true meaning when the album first came out but Petals lyrically is honestly one her best songs. After reading the book it’s just so heartbreaking I almost wish she would finish the story mention her relationship with Pat and then end with Roc and Roe as she now has ‘the perfect family’.

Comment

• Originally posted by naughtynae View Post
                                                    Totally off topic but I was too young to really relate or understand the songs true meaning when the album first came out but Petals lyrically is honestly one her best songs. After reading the book it’s just so heartbreaking I almost wish she would finish the story mention her relationship with Pat and then end with Roc and Roe as she now has ‘the perfect family’.
                                                    Like a Petals 2.0?

Just noticing the flower motif with Petals and Sunflowers for Alfred Roy when speaking about (ex)-family members.
                                                    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

Working...
                                                    X