No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combine jazz and gospel into one album, throw in a few Mariah uptempo and ballads, and you’ve got a great album. Basically The Emancipation of Mimi?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris87 View Post
      I think she’s far better at gospel than jazz tho…
      100%
      To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• She should release a gospel album as well as a jazz album! And I want the alternative album and a disco album too

Comment

• Originally posted by ElusiveButterfly View Post
          She should release a gospel album as well as a jazz album! And I want the alternative album and a disco album too
          I want all of that + another unplugged greatest hits concert.
          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by MsWeiss View Post
            Combine jazz and gospel into one album, throw in a few Mariah uptempo and ballads, and you’ve got a great album. Basically The Emancipation of Mimi?
            1. uptempo disco
            2. uptempo pop
            3. ballad r&b
            4. ballad soul
            5. midtempo urban
            6. uptempo pop
            7. r/b slow jam
            8. gospel song
            9. jazz song
            10. ballad pop
            11. gospel song
            12. jazz song
            13. cover
            My Chart

Comment

• Speaking of Gospel....some FLAB stems?

See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
              See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• So cool to hear that.

Her voice kinda does everything in that song.
                Last edited by InfoFromAus; Sun September 26, 2021, 14:31.
                MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Somewhat Loved is up to 5.26M audience now. Good enough for top 150 songs over all.

Comment

• Mariah passed 16 million on spotify

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                      Somewhat Loved is up to 5.26M audience now. Good enough for top 150 songs over all.
                      It's got better legs than With You, no?
                      I can't even know what to say...

Comment

• Praying for some announcement this week

Comment

• With her age and ageism thing for female in the music industry, I personally think that it will be very difficult to achieve commercial success unless it's xmas stuff so it is logical that she put more effort on that. What is good about Xmas music is that it is being played yearly so songs like oh Santa or CBPCH still have chances to become hits in the future...who knows. Being tagged as "queen of Christmas" has and will have advantages.
                          A place in time still belongs to us...

Comment

• Random, but I hate how underappreciated Mariah is, especially in Belgium and probably most of continental Europe. If she would be coming up in this day and age she would have gotten way more respect, now she is mostly used around Christmas and as a reference for ‘oversinging’. It makes me mad sometime, like this woman paved the road for so many. I’m afraid she’ll only be fully respected once she’s gone. Just like Whitney over here tbh. Most Europeans belong to that faux hipster crowd you detest, hardly any pop of rnb record wil be positively lauded unless your name is Beyoncé or you are a man. Ya cool when you listen to 80s rock or something. Whatever.

Last edited by Michiel; Sun September 26, 2021, 15:54.
                            Eudaimonia
                            Last.fm
                            Instagram

Comment

• Makes you wonder why Mariah did not do more in the 90s to break away from that pop princess image. For starters she could have fought to release SUD so that people take notice that she is not all dreamlovers and fantasies.

I think her best option now like many have said is going the Gospel and Jazz route. It could really gain her the respect that she needs and she is actually good at these genres.

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post
                                Makes you wonder why Mariah did not do more in the 90s to break away from that pop princess image. For starters she could have fought to release SUD so that people take notice that she is not all dreamlovers and fantasies.
                                Her memoir is full of stories of her fighting against sexism and racism.

We can also look at her numerous interviews of her saying she write and produce her own songs.

I think this comment lacks an appreciation for some of the structural issues that are endemic in the music industry.

Comment

• Originally posted by tee View Post
                                  Makes you wonder why Mariah did not do more in the 90s to break away from that pop princess image. For starters she could have fought to release SUD so that people take notice that she is not all dreamlovers and fantasies.

I think her best option now like many have said is going the Gospel and Jazz route. It could really gain her the respect that she needs and she is actually good at these genres.
                                  But… It’s not her fault. She should be getting all the respect she deserves for what she already made or has accomplished. The real issue is that in countries like Belgium ‘quality music’ equals not too mainstream, preferably somebody with a beard, preferably rock, not too polished and not too American. Even native female singers fall victim to this pigeonhole if their music is too much of this or that. Only male singers that sound congested, or female singers that look like they never took a bath are respected. As Bm08 says, structural issues within the industry.
                                  Eudaimonia
                                  Last.fm
                                  Instagram

Comment

• Originally posted by Michiel View Post
                                    Random, but I hate how underappreciated Mariah is, especially in Belgium and probably most of continental Europe. If she would be coming up in this day and age she would have gotten way more respect, now she is mostly used around Christmas and as a reference for ‘oversinging’. It makes me mad sometime, like this woman paved the road for so many. I’m afraid she’ll only be fully respected once she’s gone. Just like Whitney over here tbh. Most Europeans belong to that faux hipster crowd you detest, hardly any pop of rnb record wil be positively lauded unless your name is Beyoncé or you are a man. Ya cool when you listen to 80s rock or something. Whatever.

Mariah is partly to blame for not caring about Europe anymore. 13 years ago it was, when she last appeared on German TV (or any show).

Makes gets on my nerves is that people think she is a bad performer... and yet her shows usually get good reviews in European magazines (I'm specifically speaking about the German magazines now).

But I agree, only when she dies, she will be missed and gets some retrospect praise and that is beyond ridiculous.
                                    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

Mariah is partly to blame for not caring about Europe anymore. 13 years ago it was, when she last appeared on German TV (or any show).

Makes gets on my nerves is that people think she is a bad performer... and yet her shows usually get good reviews in European magazines (I'm specifically speaking about the German magazines now).

But I agree, only when she dies, she will be missed and gets some retrospect praise and that is beyond ridiculous.
                                      Fair enough, but why would she come, seriously? I don’t know what I should do if I was in her position and read all that was written about her in continental Europe. Well maybe, here in Belgium there is a difference, her shows are reviewed as American schmaltz. She hardly gets in the local news, whereas performers like Madonna or Beyoncé do. Tbh we were not even worthy of her Caution or Xmas tours. South America deserves her more tbh. That being said, last few years there has been a small positive evolution about her in the media over here. I think that has more to do with #metoo and other social movements etc. though, rather than a growing respect for her an sich.

At the end of the day she is a living legend and she belongs in the group of Whitney, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Madonna and so many others. Yet for some reason she is always seen as less. It irks me, and I know it has to do with her image, but that’s still unfair tbh. When it comes to being a musician she is even higher ranked than a lot of other legends (although a legend is more than just a musician), people just don’t see it because she doesn’t have a guitar in her hands or doesn’t sing at a piano. For that latter reason Alicia is seen more as an artist, but it’s also just an image at the end of the day. Buh, whatever.
                                      Last edited by Michiel; Sun September 26, 2021, 16:23.
                                      Eudaimonia
                                      Last.fm
                                      Instagram

Comment

• Originally posted by Michiel View Post

Fair enough, but why would she come, seriously? I don’t know what I should do if I was in her position and read all that was written about her in continental Europe. Well maybe, here in Belgium there is a difference, her shows are reviewed as American schmaltz. She hardly gets in the local news, whereas performers like Madonna or Beyoncé do. Tbh we were not even worthy of her Caution or Xmas tours. South America deserves her more tbh. That being said, last few years there has been a small positive evolution about her in the media over here. I think that has more to do with #metoo and other social movements etc. though, rather than a growing respect for her an sich.
                                        In the 1990s, I experienced Mariah mania in Europe. She was so popular and beloved. People were standing in front of her hotels and were yelling her name. People were running after her car. People were following her. Stories about her were really sought after bc she was so secretive and rare. She was mysterious.

This lasted until Glitter.

Glitter was the album which forced her to apologize that she did not die. It was so odd. Glitter had a gigantic promo budget. She was everywhere in Germany. Pro7 - one of the biggest TV channels in the country - even sponsored the release. There was a sticker with the channel logo on the Glitter album.

And then everything began to unravel. It got so bad and hostile that she never recovered from it. There is still this notion of her being a genuinely bad person. Here in my country the media is EVEN siding with her siblings and publish every remark from them as pure gospel.

It got 1% better in 2005 during TEOM... but she then made the cardinal mistake of performing on German Idol with sunglasses on. The media was NOT having it at all. There were like negative campaigns against her afterwards which lasted until 2017.

One internet music rating provider even gave TEOM 1 out of 5 stars, calling the album "super bad". Nobody here was able to read the room.

IN 2018 - and now I'm agreeing with you - the negative media coverage had somewhat vanished. Caution got exceptional reviews here. I have no idea why. But every magazine that dared to review it, wrote amazing things about her voice, the music on the CD, the production... everything.

Europe in general seems very hostile towards her. I have no idea why that is. South America, Brazil and Argentina specifically, deserve her way more than we do - I agree.

My Chart

Comment

• It’s so funny every pop star has their story and down fall. No one is immune except for maybe riri and Beyoncé to date… I mean it’s inevitable after the huge heights she experienced that she was going to not be in favorite. But dam it sucks cos glitter was good. The soundtrack I mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mpol View Post
                                            It’s so funny every pop star has their story and down fall. No one is immune except for maybe riri and Beyoncé to date… I mean it’s inevitable after the huge heights she experienced that she was going to not be in favorite. But dam it sucks cos glitter was good. The soundtrack I mean.
                                            GLITTER is still so underrated. It deserves much more streaming activity than it is currently getting. Loverboy alone should consistently pull in what TTR is getting (120k weekly).
                                            My Chart

Comment

• Honestly, nobody cares what’s going on in Germany.
                                              Me. I am Itsawrap.

Comment

• I don’t really like the guy but a Mariah/Ed Sheeran collab would eat up the charts, I think. Here is what it might sound like:

Comment

• stevyy Thank you for that piece on Germany super interesting! I think it’s fairly the same in Belgium, but I was too young to experience her succes over here… if it was anything like in the Netherlands I assume it was huge. I do remember her first concert over here was the Rainbow tour and it got bad reviews cause she started way too late and cut the concert quite short. I wasn’t there, so I don’t know. During the TEOM era her videos were on tv constantly, its like that was my first taste <3!

Look at us, agreeing with each other and it’s not even Christmas yet !
                                                  Eudaimonia
                                                  Last.fm
                                                  Instagram

Comment

• Originally posted by Yerac View Post

I was thinking exactly this. Khalid isnt very strong in the charts. And i think his last single flopped so i dont get it lol
                                                    While yes, his latest release did flop (and idk if it was a buzz track… don’t think it was a 1st single launch for an album), it wouldn’t be correct to say Khalid isn’t very strong in the charts. He does major streaming numbers. He has 7 singles that have been certified for 5x platinum or higher, both of his albums are multi-platinum and in 2019 alone he had 3 Top 10 hits on the Billboard Hot 100.

I think he makes for a great choice to be a feature.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X