• Show
Clear All
  • InfoFromAus
    Manager
    • 05 Sep 2005

Originally posted by bm08
    "Sweet Fantasy" clip from Free Guy Movie

Oh nice.
    When they said the song was going to be featured in the movie, I didn't expect it to be as imbedded into their world.
    That's cool.

Still love that song.
    MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• mm2912
      Superstar
      • 04 Jun 2016

Originally posted by InfoFromAus

Oh nice.
      When they said the song was going to be featured in the movie, I didn't expect it to be as imbedded into their world.
      That's cool.

Still love that song.
      Ryan Reynolds is a huge lamb. It was his idea to put the song into the story of the movie

Comment

• Chris87
        • 18 May 2021

If we were thinking about 4/5 years ago…
        her respect was very much diminished. Now however… she’s built so much of that back up! I’m immensely proud of how she’s managed to do that. Really stellar. The woman can do anything she puts her mind to.

Comment

• Chris87
          • 18 May 2021

In fact… Madonna probably needs to give her a call for advice. She is universally derided these days… the last time SHE was relevant and respected was her Super Bowl performance and that was how many years ago?!

Comment

• bm08
            bm08 commented
            Editing a comment
            Let's keep the Madonna stuff to a minimum in this thread please.
        • MayoAndMustard
          Personal Assistant
          • 02 May 2018

Originally posted by Chris87
          In fact… Madonna probably needs to give her a call for advice. She is universally derided these days… the last time SHE was relevant and respected was her Super Bowl performance and that was how many years ago?!
          Off topic but that’s my all time favourite Super Bowl half time show ever!

Comment

• tee
            • 07 Feb 2021

Originally posted by sYair
            There seems to be this issue about relevancy vs lengendary status. Like you're either one or the other. But we also know the media likes to hype and over rate some people like they're big legends that are also relevant, like Beyonce. I agree that Mariah deserves more respect as a legend. I think it's about: a) her being a female and b) being an R&B artist. If you think about the most respected female musicians most of them are from the Rock genre, and those who are not from that genre are most likely dead (like Whitney). But I think public perception on Mariah has increased a lot during this past decade. Stepping up her touring had a lot to do with it, but she also suffered a lot during 2015-2017 (we know why). However she was able to come back from that as well and now she has deals with AppleTV instead of some Hostel.
            Im not sure about this. Aretha before she died was/is one of the most respected musicians and singers, and she was a female doing R&B. Whitney was trashed in the media but the music industry had a level of respect for her that was out of this world. Beyonce and Jlo can do no wrong. I even think when its all said and done those two will be seen as bigger icons than MC unfortunately. The lambs know the truth but it isnt always what the public sees. I mean, Jlo has had flop after flop but doesnt ever need to prove herself over and over again. No multiple comebacks necessary.

Mariah is only relevant because of AIWFCIY these days. But the song is 25 years old lest we forget.

I think her legacy will be just fine but unfortunately she gets no free passes and she will have to keep having winning projects or they will label her as over. It is a harsh industry.

Comment

• GlenMarley
              Personal Assistant
              • 18 Dec 2018

I think Mariah is going through a resurgence period that can also be attributed to a generational issue: the kids that used to love her are now adults who actively quote her as a direct influece. The same thing that happened to Madge 10 years ago.

Mariah has had the amazing feat of having crossed over to both the digital era and the streaming era (plus, she is also a complete social media slayer, shes simply #Slyving), something that Madge surprisingly has not.

Im often very shocked at how low Madonna's streaming numbers are, especially on YouTube since videos were the primal vehicle for her craft. I wouldnt be shocked if she had terrible numbers on Spotify and incredible stats on YouTube, but it really isnt the case. I dont know if that has to do with the fact that her videos were culturally relevant to a generation that just doesnt stream (not even on YouTube, which to me is just basic tech nowadays) or that the artistic value of said videos has completely dried up, like when watching a Star Trek movie from the 60s that now looks absurd.

For some reason, I feel visuals are much more subjected to trends, which we know are more likely to come and go, while music seems to be more timeless. And Mariah (either conscious or unconsciously) falls on that box much more: thats why she gravitates towards being an artist more than a popstar or being a singer more than a performer. Her shows are not even shows, theyre actual concerts. Concerts where she lipps to the 1993 backing track of Without You. So, if Mariah thinks she can get away with that, you can do anything today. Be strong, lambies.
              Last edited by GlenMarley; Tue August 3, 2021, 01:59.

Comment

• mm2912
                Superstar
                • 04 Jun 2016

Originally posted by GlenMarley
                I think Mariah is going through a resurgence period that can also be attributed to a generational issue: the kids that used to love her are now adults who actively quote her as a direct influece. The same thing that happened to Madge 10 years ago.

Mariah has had the amazing feat of having crossed over to both the digital era and the streaming era (plus, she is also a complete social media slayer, shes simply #Slyving), something that Madge surprisingly has not.

Im often very shocked at how low Madonna's streaming numbers are, especially on YouTube since videos were the primal vehicle for her craft. I wouldnt be shocked if she had terrible numbers on Spotify and incredible stats on YouTube, but it really isnt the case. I dont know if that has to do with the fact that her videos were culturally relevant to a generation that just doesnt stream (not even on YouTube, which to me is just basic tech nowadays) or that the artistic value of said videos has completely dried up, like when watching a Star Trek movie from the 60s that now looks absurd.

For some reason, I feel visuals are much more subjected to trends, which we know are more likely to come and go, while music seems to be more timeless. And Mariah (either conscious or unconsciously) falls on that box much more: thats why she gravitates towards being an artist more than a popstar or being a singer more than a performer. Her shows are not even shows, theyre actual concerts. Concerts where she lipps to the 1993 backing track of Without You. So, if Mariah thinks she can get away with that, you can do anything today. Be strong, lambies.
                But Madonna has more monthly listeners and doing better at daily streaming than Mariah on Spotify.

Comment

• GlenMarley
                  Personal Assistant
                  • 18 Dec 2018

Oh, and one last thing. Less 10 years ago we were lamenting the state of Mariah's career and now we're actually rejoycing and celebrating her critical "coming of age". This was all due to AIWFCIY showcasing the best of her and just like the contemporary philosopher Billie Frank said on Glitter: what makes you think this is the best of her?

In all seriousness, what Im trying to say is that we've yet to see what else that song can do for her and for the rest of the catalogue it helps shed light to. Because Im 100% sure that Fantasy playing on that Ryan Reynolds song and even being a relevant trend on TikTok wouldnt have been possible if it wasnt for the exposition AIWFCIY helps bring out (together with Mariah's persona exploiting that with her social media presence, etc).

In the end, we owe Sony Tommy a fruit basket every Christmas. He really NAILED that choice. What a dynamic duo they were, she really delivered her music and he really did his magic.

Comment

• GlenMarley
                    Personal Assistant
                    • 18 Dec 2018

Originally posted by mm2912

But Madonna has more monthly listeners and doing better at daily streaming than Mariah on Spotify.
                    Forget Mariah, she has by the worst streaming performance among the Top 10 best selling music artists ever.

Personally, I think Madge is def #1 when talking about female artists and Mariah is a very worthy #2 (which I think its harder, because noone can stay at #1 forever and how you act when the spotlight isnt on you speaks more volumes than when it is!). But time will tell, as Ive said earlier, I think we still havent seen the last of Mariah both artistically and commercially. This past decade we've started to see how AIWFCIY's success has started to spread to Merry Christmas (which was def not the case initially). Little by little, the rest of her catalogue is starting to enjoy some attention as well.

Comment

• tee
                      • 07 Feb 2021

The way I hear ppl talk the female artists that will go down with the highest rankings are:

1. Madonna
                      2. Aretha
                      3. Whitney
                      4. Beyonce
                      5. Janet

I never hear Mariah mentioned in a top 5 list and I am not sure why. She held her own in that duet with Whitney. Maybe yall are right and in time she will get her flowers. I do like the point that Mariah still puts on concerts in the traditional sense of the word, and leaves the shows for other pop stars.

Comment

• tee
                        • 07 Feb 2021

Tommy was a master marketer and i wonder what mariahs career would have been if they hadnt married and he still managed her career through the 2000s.

Comment

• GlenMarley
                          Personal Assistant
                          • 18 Dec 2018

Mariah was a master divorcer, she divorced him at the right time on music history. He really made her pay for it, tho.

Comment

• InfoFromAus
                            Manager
                            • 05 Sep 2005

Not sure if this has been speculated previously, but with the announcement of a new Hocus Pocus, and Mariah and Bette's friendship/collaborations... is there any hope that Mariah might make an appearance in the new film?

Mariah's appearance at the end of the special last year was a nice surprise, and we know Mariah loves Halloween.

Would love to see her in the film with at least a cameo "for laughs".
                            MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Anderson
                              Personal Assistant
                              • 01 Dec 2019

01:31
                              lol
                              Last edited by Anderson; Tue August 3, 2021, 04:56.
                              Soft heavenly eyes gazed into me
                              Transcending space and time

Comment

• bm08
                                • 07 Apr 2013

I know people love comparing divas but try to keep mentions of other artists to a minimum in this thread. Experience says it gets messy really quickly.
                                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Kaloki
                                  Manager
                                  • 13 Feb 2013

I think the lack of touring in the 90s or big television performances is the main thing that impacts Mariah's legacy tbh.

Look at Beyonce, I think her recent music is a bit overrated and I only listen to her early stuff, but everybody in the UK knows about her Glastonbury set, then in the US she had the Superbowl with Bruno and Coachella.

I've been to two Beyonce tours - the tour with Jay Z wasn't my thing, but the Formation tour was absolutely insane. I went with a bunch of friends and even though only one of us was an actual Beyonce fan, everybody was blown away. Being in Wembley Stadium with all that staging is the kind of experience that you remember regardless of the music.

I've seen Mariah 5 times, and would see her again over Beyonce any day, but even though I appreciate her more, my friends would all rather go to a stadium to see Beyonce on a floating stage than stand front row in the comparatively tiny Royal Albert Hall to see Mariah.

Sadly the only TV performance my friends know of Mariah is the New Year's car crash, of the weird X Factor she gave ages ago where she was all stiff. Actually, apart from Live 8, I can't think of any high profile performance she's ever had in the UK?

Comment

• WhenUWalkBy
                                    • 30 Jul 2021

I think it's very likely that the group she mentioned is Pentatonix. They've basically become Christmas icons just like Mariah.

I mean, they've released 5 Christmas albums and 3 TV specials, covered most modern and traditional holiday hits but for some reason never touched AIWFCIY. They've already done Where Are You Christmas and When You Believe, have collaborated with JHud and Kelly Clarkson, even released a song with Whitney in 2019. Doing AIWFCIY in collaboration with Mariah makes perfect sense. Although I'd love if she performed a gospel song with them, she's the queen of harmonies and I'm sure she loves their renditions of Amazing Grace and Hallelujah.

Comment

• bm08
                                      • 07 Apr 2013

Mariah knows she's not a touring artist. That is fine. The mistake is trying to turn her into something she isn't.

She is a songwriter at heart. Only in recent times they have been highlighting this as her main craft.

Instead of trying to have her set huge tours or sets, showcase how she songwrites and have intimate venues where she's able to riff here and there with no pressure to stick to a set song structure or setlist (e.g. Australia's tangent moment). Allow her to talk about how she songwrites and how she creates songs. Create documentaries, shows and specials around that (Eg. Jimmy Fallon TAOLG behind the scenes). Let her have longer more intimate interviews about songwriting and music (e.g. Genius).

She is not a touring artist but this shouldn't be seen as a fault. Not everyone is a songwriter-singer-producer either and they are not faulted.

This is why I'm excited for whatever behind the scenes thing she has planned.
                                      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• InfoFromAus
                                        Manager
                                        • 05 Sep 2005

^ that's a nice wish list.

I saw the latest Bee Gees doco recently and it was so interesting to see their career as songwriters take off long after their own successes began to wane.

I saw some parallels with Mariah's career ups and downs, and could see how she can continue her singing career with a songwriting career. I wish she would write more for other artists as well.
                                        MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

Working...