• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

#5 - 1999 - Heartbreaker
    #10 - 2000 - Thank God I Found You
    #1 - 2000 - Against All Odds
    Yeah interesting.

And the relatively 'small' amount of #1s in the UK hides the fact that Mariah's singles and albums have consistently performed well there.
    MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• TGIFU has the best Mariah tone on the Rainbow album. It is basically the same tone as OHOMO. Rich, sandy and buttery and I love how low she goes in the first verse. I loved AAO until the shriekfest at the final chorus. It was the first time I was taken aback by Mariah's tone and thought "oh...that actually kind of hurt my ears...". Her voice was so variable from #1s onwards...

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

Heartbreaker and TGIFY didn't go to #1 in the UK, so I don't think Mariah would have been #1 with AAO if it wasn't for Westlife.
        Westlife was extremely popular in 1999/2000. They had four #1 hits in 1999 and three in 2000.
        Westlife definitely was the reason AAO went #1 in the UK. They were scorching hot at that time - they were guaranteed smash makers. Unfortunately, even though I love both Meemz and Westlife, the AAO duet had me so embarrassed for both of them cos it was such an obviously calculated cut and paste job...the boys' vocals did zilch for the song and ruined it imo...

Comment

I would say AAO - being a legendary song by a beloved Brit - the song would have gone far up. My prediction would have been #3...

for the life in me, I cannot understand why Rainbow flopped this hard in the UK - selling only 250,000 copies in the country despite:

#5 - 1999 - Heartbreaker
          #10 - 2000 - Thank God I Found You
          #1 - 2000 - Against All Odds

three top 10 singles. But the album only went Gold.
          Is the Westlife version of AAO even on the Rainbow album or is it just the original, which was released as a single in May 2000. The duet version came much later I think September.
          Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
          Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by AlmondBreeze View Post

Westlife definitely was the reason AAO went #1 in the UK. They were scorching hot at that time - they were guaranteed smash makers. Unfortunately, even though I love both Meemz and Westlife, the AAO duet had me so embarrassed for both of them cos it was such an obviously calculated cut and paste job...the boys' vocals did zilch for the song and ruined it imo...
            Westlife were huge then but I think it’s unfair to assume the AAO wouldn’t have hit the top spot without them. Her solo version is much more of a homage to the original and it’s a song by Phil Collins that all Brits love. Also Mariah was very popular here then.

I guess we’ll never know but I don’t think Westlife were the reason, even though they might have helped a little.
            To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post

Westlife were huge then but I think it’s unfair to assume the AAO wouldn’t have hit the top spot without them. Her solo version is much more of a homage to the original and it’s a song by Phil Collins that all Brits love. Also Mariah was very popular here then.

I guess we’ll never know but I don’t think Westlife were the reason, even though they might have helped a little.
              Rainbow is only Gold there and Heartbreaker which was a big success basically everywhere only managed #5… you don’t need to talk nonsense, she wasn’t “very popular there” at the time, she was in other counties but not in the UK.

If you look at what came out the same week, without Westlife the song would be have been lucky to crack the top 5, getting Westlife on the song was a very smart chart move.

Comment

• Girl you don’t even go here

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post

Rainbow is only Gold there and Heartbreaker which was a big success basically everywhere only managed #5… you don’t need to talk nonsense, she wasn’t “very popular there” at the time, she was in other counties but not in the UK.

If you look at what came out the same week, without Westlife the song would be have been lucky to crack the top 5, getting Westlife on the song was a very smart chart move.

I was a fan then and I’m British.. She was popular. Don’t tell me I’m talking nonsense. Granted not as popular as she had been but she was still popular enough to achieve successful singles without Westlife.

how can you consider #5 unsuccessful? Haha funny.
                  To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

I was a fan then and I’m British.. She was popular. Don’t tell me I’m talking nonsense. Granted not as popular as she had been but she was still popular enough to achieve successful singles without Westlife.

how can you consider #5 unsuccessful? Haha funny.
                    #5 isn’t unsuccessful, never said that.

If heartbreaker only managed #5 when that song was actually really good, there is no way Against All Odds could have managed top 5, everyone is entitled to think what they like but that particular song didn’t have a chance as a solo release, it was released as a solo in select countries and it did nothing.

Comment

If heartbreaker only managed #5 when that song was actually really good, there is no way Against All Odds could have managed top 5, everyone is entitled to think what they like but that particular song didn’t have a chance as a solo release, it was released as a solo in select countries and it did nothing.
                      Unless you’re British, you probably don’t understand how popular cover versions were in the 90s here. Particularly with songs as popular as AAO.

Comment

The entire era was underwhelming in the UK, I agree. And I have no idea why that was.

The album sold shy under 500,000 copies in France and 350,000 copies in Germany. But it only managed to sell 250,000 copies in the UK. And that despite 3 Top singles from the era going top 10 in the country. And we are talking about the time of the peak of albums sales worldwide.

For comparison sake: TEOM also had 3 top 10 singles in the UK and sold a little under 700,000 copies in the UK.
                        My Chart

Comment

Unless you’re British, you probably don’t understand how popular cover versions were in the 90s here. Particularly with songs as popular as AAO.
                          Also true. I believe the solo version of the song would have gone top 5 in the UK, my prediction is #3. I am glad that Mariah performed the song during the SSF Tour in 2016. The YT videos of her singing AAO have the highest views also.
                          My Chart

Comment

The entire era was underwhelming in the UK, I agree. And I have no idea why that was.

The album sold shy under 500,000 copies in France and 350,000 copies in Germany. But it only managed to sell 250,000 copies in the UK. And that despite 3 Top singles from the era going top 10 in the country. And we are talking about the time of the peak of albums sales worldwide.

For comparison sake: TEOM also had 3 top 10 singles in the UK and sold a little under 700,000 copies in the UK.
                            And with Germany and France they both got Against All Odds (Solo Version) #18 in France and #29 in Germany, Rainbow itself being more successful in those markets but that single not performing “that” well shows it wouldn’t have done that well in the UK without Westlife.

Comment

And with Germany and France they both got Against All Odds (Solo Version) #18 in France and #29 in Germany, Rainbow itself being more successful in those markets but that single not performing “that” well shows it wouldn’t have done that well in the UK without Westlife.
                              But those charts peaks for the solo version in France and Germany were and are great. AAO has probably sold 60,000+ copies in Germany.

Chartrun GER: 31 - 33 - 29 - 32 - 33 - 35 - 40 - 46 - 48 - 56 - 60
                              Estimation: 63,780 copies sold

Chartrun FRA: 35 - 30 - 26 - 18 - 21 - 21 - 25 - 25 - 28 - 33 - 36 - 39 - 41 - 43 - 53 - 62 - 65 - 78 - 86 - 88 - 97
                              Estimation: 88,750 copies sold

My Chart

Comment

But those charts peaks for the solo version in France and Germany were and are great. AAO has probably sold 60,000+ copies in Germany.

Chartrun GER: 31 - 33 - 29 - 32 - 33 - 35 - 40 - 46 - 48 - 56 - 60
                                Estimation: 63,780 copies sold

Chartrun FRA: 35 - 30 - 26 - 18 - 21 - 21 - 25 - 25 - 28 - 33 - 36 - 39 - 41 - 43 - 53 - 62 - 65 - 78 - 86 - 88 - 97
                                Estimation: 88,750 copies sold

But when you compare it to Heartbreaker…

Comment

• Not a fan of AAO at all, I think it was quite a calculated song to cover (the whole rainbow era feels a bit fake to me), but it was a genius song to release in the UK with Westlife.

Westlife fans are probably the exact group of fans Mariah lost during Butterfly so was a good way to pull them back in. I remember the video being on TV constantly so it was definitely very popular at the time

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Is the Westlife version of AAO even on the Rainbow album or is it just the original, which was released as a single in May 2000. The duet version came much later I think September.
                                    It was released on Westlife album “coast to coast”, I don’t think it was released on rainbow

Comment

• I'm a big fan of AAO Mariah solo version.... It's just an eargasm moment.
                                      Mariah Carey x BTS
                                      #20th No.1

Comment

In brazil the solo version was very popular. It used to play a lot on the radio and the music video from homecoming it was on heavy rotation on MTV. And when she came to promote rainbow she performed the song

Comment

• The westlife version didn't appear on Rainbow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                                            I'm a big fan of AAO Mariah solo version.... It's just an eargasm moment.
                                            In Germany, the radio stations played it A LOT.

Comment

• Comment

• i'm so excited. I like him a lot.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• OMG...so Christmas this year will start before Halloween. This is exciting.
                                                  A place in time still belongs to us...

Comment

• Originally posted by carey18ph View Post
                                                    OMG...so Christmas this year will start before Halloween. This is exciting.
                                                    what's dropping in 3 weeks is his new single, I don't think it's the xmas collab with mariah. but I think he was in LA filming with mariah this week, maybe that's why he was wearing MC tshirt

Comment

Working...
                                                    X