Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTFO has a gorgeous melody

It deserved to be a single but maybe needed a rap section and a more exciting video

Mariah looked gorgeous in all of the videos but they were so boring, like even Nick gave the Memoirs videos more life

1-GTFO

2-The Distance - Joseph Khan video, most budget here, HIT

3-Giving Me Life - single version with Kendrick Lamar, cinematic Brett Ratner video, ACCLAIM

4-A No No or Caution with cute budget video
    Last edited by allygdale; Tue October 5, 2021, 17:27.

Comment

• lol

Comment

• I will forever be pressed about The Distance being a hype track, to me it’s what Migrate was to y’all

Like that song could be on No 1s and if I were a casual fair weather lamb I wouldn’t flinch when it would play

Whyyyy it hasn’t received an October #justice movement is beyond comprehension for me, dahhhlings, the annual torture!
        Last edited by allygdale; Tue October 5, 2021, 17:37.

Comment

• Like f*ck, this performance slays me to this day, one of her hottest looks of all time, confident as ever, the harmonizing, the way she outsings the album vocals, the backdrop visuals, a 10

Imagine if it were the AMAs performance and included in iHeart

I really wish someone would make the song a TikTok moment, it’s the one that got away

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
            I will forever be pressed about The Distance being a hype track, to me it’s what Migrate was to y’all

Like that song could be on No 1s and if I were a casual fair weather lamb I wouldn’t flinch when it would play

Whyyyy it hasn’t received an October #justice movement is beyond comprehension for me, dahhhlings, the annual torture!
            YELL IT FROM THE ROOF TOP!!!

I agree so much! It is one of her best songs ever. That performance, too, was outstanding and that is an understatement.

I will never ever understand why they foiled us and her and this song. It's like... truly a #1 that never happened.
            My Chart

Comment

• I don’t think The Distance is all that… she sounds bored. Caution should’ve led the album with a fire video. Sis would’ve broke the internet.

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                Like f*ck, this performance slays me to this day, one of her hottest looks of all time, confident as ever, the harmonizing, the way she outsings the album vocals, the backdrop visuals, a 10

Imagine if it were the AMAs performance and included in iHeart

I really wish someone would make the song a TikTok moment, it’s the one that got away
                I agree 100% what everything you just said here

Comment

• It seems like this was the last vocally impressive live performance (live on TV, not pre-recorded) we have from Mariah (impressive as in the general public’s perception and expectation, not the lamb’s typical reaction yay she hits a C5 for two seconds). Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I can’t think of any other live performances that’s on par with this since then.

Comment

• Originally posted by MayoAndMustard View Post
                    It seems like this was the last vocally impressive live performance (live on TV, not pre-recorded) we have from Mariah (impressive as in the general public’s perception and expectation, not the lamb’s typical reaction yay she hits a C5 for two seconds). Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I can’t think of any other live performances that’s on par with this since then.

In my opinion the climax of that was not live apart from a few words mixed in.
                    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• I think The Distance could have been a top 20 hit with the right promo, which at this point in Mariah’s career is a hugely missed opportunity.

#1 is far too optimistic.
                      To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• Mariah's top 10 most streamed album of 2021 - so far

- #is #your #fave #among #it -

Number 10 - 15,431,461 streams - 1991 - Emotions

Mariah's sophomore evergreen, Emotions, with the legendary title track of the same name comes in at #10 with a whooping 15 million streams. The album sold over 8 million units worldwide and spawned 3 top 10 singles, including the aforementioned title track... which became her 5th consecutive #1 single.

Number 9 - 24,638,655 - 1998 - #1's (5 tracks)

In 1998 Mariah - according to Rolling Stone Magazine - tortured the music world with her infamously famous and revered collection of number #1 singles. The album was completed with 5 new tracks, including the now legendary duet with Whitney Houston. The album has sold a staggering 16 million copies worldwide and is - to this day - the third best selling compilation album by a female recording artist.

Number 8 - 26,659,590 - 1999 - Rainbow

Mariah gave her fans everything in the 1990s. Towards the end of the decade, she invented the Rainbow flag and created gay-culture with this cultural reset of an album. Like all of her releases up to this point, this magnum opus of camp and sincerity features two US #1 singles. The first single - and the album's biggest track, Heartbreaker, is also believed to have one of the most expensive music videos that were ever produced. The album has sold more than 7,5 million copies to date.

Number 7 - 26,914,037 - 1994 - Merry Christmas

Christmas was a mere regional concept until, yes, until the Queen of Christmas made it a global happening of festivities. When her then husband whose name we might have forgotten at this time convinced her to do a Christmas album at the tender age of 24, Miss Carey was hesitant at first. But then she called her good pal Santa Claus and together with him and his army of elves, they, she, whoever, created the biggest and most beloved Christmas song of all times (roll over Bing!). The album became a huge success and even revived the dusty genre of holiday yuletides. Today, all pop girls and those who aspire to be "the next or new" Miss Carey release holiday music. But it is that Carey tune which makes us cheer and believe in all the glitz, glitter and glamour that the season provides. The album sold a staggering 15 million copies worldwide (according to Billboard Magazine) and currently is the biggest selling Christmas release by a female artist of all times.

Number 6 - 30,730,353 - 1997 - Butterfly

Something new, something blue, something borrowed and her signature insect, the caterpillar was Mariah at her creative and zoological peak in 1997. After years of being held prison in Sing Sing, Mariah was able to break her chains, slap and punch her kidnapper unconscious and jump from the balcony into a pool. Nobody could have foreseen that Mariah was secretly Agent M - a troubled 007-esque superhero spy - whose quest it was to outnumber her nemeses on #1 singles. But she succeeded. Mission accomplished. Rescued by a gang of rappers, the now-turned Butterfly expressed herself beautifully and with as many big words as she could find in that little dictionary that she kept in her golden bikini. The album marks the end of a chapter and the beginning of something new. The album's more R&B and urban sound found a new group of praising fans, now called the lambs. Butterfly has become her signature album, an album which has sold around 10 million copies to date and spawned two US #1 singles.

Number 5 - 32,304,829 - 2008 - E=MC

All these years Mariah posed as a singer... when in reality she was a physicist. As that beauty time traveller that she is, she gave her formula to Mister Einstein, but when the time is right, she used it for herself. Now emancipated from all the drama of the previous years, Miss Carey returned with a very urban-leaning album full of hits. We migrated from our own dressing rooms at home to the dancefloor with her and let all them chickens who apparently looked like ash or something, touch our bodies. Miss Carey at age 38 was the moment, she was the music industry and she was on her way to become the greatest of them all - at least in statistics. Her lead single Touch my Body broke her tie with the King of Rock, Elvis Presley, while her 2nd single made us all aware that you CAN produce a music video about your beloved and deceased friends and family members in a bikini... on the beach... doing heavy petting with your new husband. The Einstein album has sold over 2,5 million units worldwide and spawned one #1 single.

Number 4 - 49,018,101 - 2009 - Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel

"I can count the men [that I've been intimate with] on one hand", she said "and Eminem ain't on the hand!" When Mariah Carey decided to make another album so soon after E=MC the lambs were shook. Drawing fake beards on them J.Lo magazine covers only keeps you occupied for so long. So with great anticipation we awaited the birth of yet another gospel of our prophet. And there it was... coming with a great Elle Magazine booklet and a stunning diss track, Miss Carey showed all the girls and enchanted boys among her flock that they can fight back against those bullies who continuously try to harass them. Mariah gave her fans everything in that era: stranded whale on a beach, drag queen but as a guy, 80s hardcore schmaltz cover and of course her trademark dance moves called "touching myself while someone is filming! Memoirs of an imperfect Angel did not become an instant smash. It needed its time to grow out or outgrow the time that it was set in. But it worked like it always works for her. The album spawned one US top 10 single and sold a good 1,1 million copies worldwide.

Number 3 - 67,504,807 - 1993 - Music Box

This ancient album was an important one for young Mariah. Her first 2 releases only really found an audience of hardcore screaming teens in the US. But with Music Box everything began to change. The cover of an old song, namely Without You, was the turning point for her. Suddenly, Mariah Carey was a global megastar with eons of screaming fans around the globe, especially in Asia, Europe and Australia. The album which did quite OK-ish in the beginning exploded like her vocal chords during the soaring finish of a performance of Emotions. The album became 1994's top selling overall release in many countries around the world. So, what did them girls do? They curled their hair, put on their turtlenecks and denim jackets and howled out the most gorgeous lyrics and melodies that any singing show judge has ever heard: There's a hero, if you look inside your heart! Well, truer words have never been spoken. Music Box receives a bad reputation among her fans today. They really do not want that AC-leaning sound to be the sound that made her a phenomenon. It's not cool enough. The lyrics are too clich. Mariah herself probably hates the album as well. But it remains the center piece of music around everything that she was (up to that point) and everything that she was able to build afterwards. It changed the world in as much as it gave permission to female acts to dominate with dreary and heartfelt ballads. The album spawned two US #1 singles, another top 3 single and sold a staggering 26 million copies to date. With that it remains the 8th biggest selling overall release by a female artist ever.

Number 2 - 92,976,963 - 2005 - The Emancipation of Mimi

The Emancipation of Mimi is easily Mariah's most important album that she has ever released. After years of being the punchline of every joke and with declining sales and a declining fan base, Miss Carey just stopped her career, looked inward, found her passion again and did what nobody thought possible: to succeed. The album was launched in spring of 2005 with the first single It's Like That. The song became a sizeable hit outside the United States and opened the doors for even bigger things to come. And then it came. The second single, We Belong Together, became more than just a song. It was a movement. It was everywhere. It was the song that everyone knew she had in her and everyone hoped for her to release. It brought her back from the pits of hell to the Olymp of gods. It soared and soared and soared and broke every single record in America there was. Fans around the world refreshed that Billboard Magazine website every single second on the night from the 3rd of June to the 4th of June. And then it happened. From one click to the next, we had it in black and white for everyone to see. The number next to the song ... a number we haven't seen in 5 years, but now it was there, plain and simple, rewarding and heartfelt, imporant and affirming... the number 1. In all its glory, Mariah Carey had made it again. She was dead they said and now she wasn't. She was over they said and now she wasn't. The song held the #1 position for 14 weeks and became the song of the decade. But the era wasn't over just yet. Miss Carey's career resurrection lasted... and lasted. Another #2 song which she herself blocked from going to #1 and then around christmas time... another #1. The Emancipation of Mimi was a life saver. It saved her career from being defined by the previous decade. And it helped the lambs to survive the ongoing feuds with detractors. The album sold incredibly well in the US and hit over 9 - 10 million global albums sales to date.

Number 1 - 104,942,798 - 1995 - Daydream

When Mariah Carey recorded Daydream, she also recorded an alternative rock album. But her label said that it was too risky a sound for her to release. Instead Mariah released one of the greatest albums of all times and it paid off. Daydream is like the good friend you wish you had as a child. It's like the mother who nurtures you before you were born. It's like that christmas present you know you're getting, but cannot wait to unwrap. The album is legendary, impactful and simply stunning. The first single, Fantasy, changed the music industry forever and bridged the gap between pop and Hip Hop with that now legendary remix with ODB. The second single was an anthem for everyone who has ever gone through life-changing loss. And the third single was the soundtrack for everyone whose ever been to camp, fell in love there, and needed a super cute lyric to make it through to 2nd base. Daydream showed Miss Carey at her peak. Three massive US #1 singles, a whooping 20 million copies sold to date and a bucket full of impact that is still relevant today. Of course, you might say, it is this album that became her trademark collection of songs.
                        My Chart

Comment

• So do we think Khalid was the male artist she mentioned in the 2019 Christmas stream? Probably not because it's a Christmas for this year's special?
                          Still hoping she was talking about Drake and a non-holiday song.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

In my opinion the climax of that was not live apart from a few words mixed in.
                            Still an impressive performance though. Only the lambs can tell which part was lipped anyway.

Comment

• I just realised the iconic St. John The Divine performances have been taken off her channel. Can't they put them back for Christmas at least? I really don't get why they'd do that to performances from 27 years ago?
                              Last edited by WhenUWalkBy; Tue October 5, 2021, 20:18.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                                I don’t think The Distance is all that… she sounds bored. Caution should’ve led the album with a fire video. Sis would’ve broke the internet.
                                I have always found The Distance to be the most overrated track amongst the lambs. I never viewed it as having potential single wise.

I agree with you that Caution with a fire video and most importantly a push on radio and streaming, could have given the era more life at the start at least.

Honestly though, Caution as a whole works best as album. I don’t think any one track was standout enough to be a moderate hit single from an artist at Mariah’s stage of career.

I think they had the right idea putting GTFO out first to try generate buzz on social media. It certainly would have worked better if it was someone younger and more commercially viable releasing a song like GTFO.

Comment

It seems like this was the last vocally impressive live performance (live on TV, not pre-recorded) we have from Mariah (impressive as in the general public’s perception and expectation, not the lamb’s typical reaction yay she hits a C5 for two seconds). Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I can’t think of any other live performances that’s on par with this since then.

It was really well received in the UK at the time.

But her Christmas in Rockefeller performances from 2012 were more impressive IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eamon View Post

Honestly though, Caution as a whole works best as album. I don’t think any one track was standout enough to be a moderate hit single from an artist at Mariah’s stage of career.

I think they had the right idea putting GTFO out first to try generate buzz on social media. It certainly would have worked better if it was someone younger and more commercially viable releasing a song like GTFO.
                                    Completely agree with all of this!

Comment

But her Christmas in Rockefeller performances from 2012 were more impressive IMO.
                                      Oh yaaaaaaaaassss how could I forget about that ommmmgggg...

This is amazing!

Comment

And she needs to bring back those personalised Swarovski microphones!

Comment

• Which my favourite is the pink ones! The one she used all the time when she performed Get Your Number live.

Comment

• I don’t think any song TD or caution released as single could do anything on the charts. But I’m sure it could do better than WY. Lambs forgets it’s pretty hard in Mariah’s stage in her career to even charts on the hot100. If she could at least charts in the low end it would already be an accomplishment.
                                            i just wish she had better choices in singles so it could have a chance for the era to have more longevity and doesn’t die and end after the 1st week

Comment

• All Mariah needs is support and the will to promote. We are quick to forget #Beautiful broke an all time record at the radio when it was released doing even better than Lady Gaga at her peak. This late into her career it was impressive! Therefore I think if she would have injected money into a radio deal or an incredible video clip the songs “The Distance” or “Caution” could have gone top 20 at least. But then again I think Mariah kinda gave up. She did not promote “Oh Santa” like she should have for instance. Maybe it’s because of the pandemic but I believe she does not have that fire anymore so I’m not holding my breathe for any future chart success… unless she collaborates with Drake or Cardi B and the song is not hers
                                              Last edited by Xmas; Wed October 6, 2021, 00:03.

Comment

And she needs to bring back those personalised Swarovski microphones!

I miss these actually
                                                See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Looks like AIW will have some strong competition this coming season. Adele is gonna release a new single soon, and probably this will be the lead single of her new album. Wonder who else will release new materials this Xmas?

Comment

• Ok so I just listened to Candy Bling and after dissecting the lyrics, I think most of the song is about Derek, especially after she revealed in the memoir that the “Hey DJ” part of the Honey Remix was actually eluding to his initials.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X