Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post

Indeed, in a sea full of rappers, ego and testosterone her music is what the general public (of all ages) can relate and attach themselves to. She definately stands out.

As you say her personality is down to earth which in today's society counts alot. Her interviews are hilarious and that raw British accent she has is kinda endearing.

There's only a few artist I would call top tier (who can command huge interest when they release new material) today and she's clearly on top:

Top Tier

1) Adele
    2) Drake
    3) Taylor
    4) Rihanna
    5) Beyonce

Getting There

* Ariana
    * Justin Bieber
    * The Weekend
    * Bruno Mars
    Imagine in the 1990s when Madonna / Mariah / Céline / Whitney and Janet had to compete with Michael, George, Bruce, Prince, U2, Queen, Pink Floyd et al.

names. Those are the NAMES we know. Music felt bigger and more genuine back then in general, imo. For me personally... social media has killed a lot of the excitement bc we know how tacky most acts of today really are and how manufactured success has become.
    My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
      Adele has her own thread. Anyway…
      Exactly https://www.ukmix.org/forum/music-di...3#post10735481

Comment

• Remember when Mariah was told about Adele complimenting her. She really looked surprised and clearly has a lot of respect for her.

Comment

• As long as she's stuck in that rnb mode she will go nowhere. We need something pop and multi-format.

I'm doubtful about collabs. Being on a collab is not enough, it needs a full blown lead single treatment not an album track on a Drake or Beyonce record for example. It needs to be promoted as a fresh new standalone single or an opener to either collab's eras.

As much as I want her to score that elusive 20th #1, if she has to stoop down to a BTS level i don't know how i would feel about that. If it's a collab I would prefer something classier and more organic with the likes of Bruno Mars/The Weekend, who are at least in a similar sonic sphere and respectable chart juggernauts.

I honestly don't care about albums, I mean what would a 7th or 8th #1 album do, Its neither record breaking nor in today's scattershot streaming era, carry that much weight. Diamond status however is.

My dream in order of priority would be

1) 20th #1 Single
          2) 20th Week at #1 for AIWFCIY (this will take at least another decade unless Billboard ends it all with a chart rule change)
          3) 4 Diamond Albums (out of the lot, this seems most inevitable, only a matter of time)
          4) 100th Week at #1 (can only be achieved if Dream #2 is achieved and she perhaps scores Dream #1 as well)

That being said, even if she doesn't score a #1 in the US i would at least like to see a #1 in another major market somewhere. I mean didn't Elton John recently score a hit with Dua Lipa? I mean if Elton can do it, Mariah with the right collaborator can also score a global smash.

Originally posted by stevyy View Post

That would be awesome. If only we could get her one more #1 single, so that she could tie the Beatles. That would be the absolute biggest thing ever. But she cannot make it on her own. She needs a huge act and even more difficult... a great song to do it.

But even if she never hits #1 again... not with XMAS GOAT or any other song... she has left her mark on the charts like no one else.

Before we can even dream of her getting another #1, she must want it herself as well.

And one of my priorities right now... isn't even singles based.. it is albums based. She ONLY has 6 #1 albums to her name as of now... and I really want her to get another one.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

Imagine in the 1990s when Madonna / Mariah / Céline / Whitney and Janet had to compete with Michael, George, Bruce, Prince, U2, Queen, Pink Floyd et al.

names. Those are the NAMES we know. Music felt bigger and more genuine back then in general, imo. For me personally... social media has killed a lot of the excitement bc we know how tacky most acts of today really are and how manufactured success has become.
            Good thing social media wasn't there back then because some of the stuff we have learned about certain artists since then. Can imagine the amount of shade Mariah would have thrown in her heyday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mugen View Post

Good thing social media wasn't there back then because some of the stuff we have learned about certain artists since then. Can imagine the amount of shade Mariah would have thrown in her heyday.
              As if Tommy wouldn't have controlled her social media completely? She probably wouldn't even have proper access to post on her accounts

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
                As long as she's stuck in that rnb mode she will go nowhere. We need something pop and multi-format.

I'm doubtful about collabs. Being on a collab is not enough, it needs a full blown lead single treatment not an album track on a Drake or Beyonce record for example. It needs to be promoted as a fresh new standalone single or an opener to either collab's eras.

As much as I want her to score that elusive 20th #1, if she has to stoop down to a BTS level i don't know how i would feel about that. If it's a collab I would prefer something classier and more organic with the likes of Bruno Mars/The Weekend, who are at least in a similar sonic sphere and respectable chart juggernauts.

I honestly don't care about albums, I mean what would a 7th or 8th #1 album do, Its neither record breaking nor in today's scattershot streaming era, carry that much weight. Diamond status however is.

My dream in order of priority would be

1) 20th #1 Single
                2) 20th Week at #1 for AIWFCIY (this will take at least another decade unless Billboard ends it all with a chart rule change)
                3) 4 Diamond Albums (out of the lot, this seems most inevitable, only a matter of time)
                4) 100th Week at #1 (can only be achieved if Dream #2 is achieved and she perhaps scores Dream #1 as well)

That being said, even if she doesn't score a #1 in the US i would at least like to see a #1 in another major market somewhere. I mean didn't Elton John recently score a hit with Dua Lipa? I mean if Elton can do it, Mariah with the right collaborator can also score a global smash.

I kind of agree with everything you said, appart from the fact that a Diamond album would inevitably be number 1 at some point.
                In Mariah's case, a collaboration doesn't necessarily mean success, and we've seen that over and over. I mean, even Oh Santa, didn't get the numbers I thought it would,
                and Ariana is quite successful at the moment. However, that doesn't mean that it won't grow over time, like AIWFCIY has. Even though All I want was an instant classic in my ears since its release.
                I never thought of the 20th number one, but now she is so close, that it would be incredible to see her reach that number and match the Beatles. Thing is, she needs to do it during the holidays, cause sadly, it's the only time of the year that she gets the money to really promote stuff. I can't believe that an artist like Mariah Carey, with her trajectory, 18th non Holidays number ones and 1 Huge Holiday number one, has seen reduced to a Holiday singer, she's not! She's so much more...

I hope her next album will slay, and hope they finally take her seriously enough to promote things properly! Caution was a great album, promotion and interviews were good, but man , that lasted a week or so.

About the 20th week at number one, I can see that happening at some moment, hope no one gets there first.

About the Diamond album again, She has three? I thought she had two... So, Music Box, Daydream, and the third one the Debut? Cause the fourth would be Merry Christmas I imagine.

Really quick about Adele... I know it's not her threat, but I wanted to say my opinion. I like the song better than Hello, lyrically and melodically. It will be a number one for sure, but I think, it won't bother AIW.

Mariah's been sounding absolutely incredible lately! Isn't it almost magical to see how her voice can recover to an extend that we thought we would never hear again over and over when she gets rest and has time for herself? I've honestly never heard anybody that has a voice that changes constantly as much as hers. Must be the nodules, I guess
                Underneath The Stars

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

There's enough talent in the 90s to take down the 00s-20s combined.

Top Females
                  1) Mariah ---------- Taylor Swift
                  2) Madonna ---------- Rihanna
                  3) Celine Dion ---------- Adele
                  4) Whitney ---------- Katy Perry
                  5) Janet Jackson ---------- Lady Gaga
                  6) Shania Twain / Toni Braxton vs. Ariana Grande / Nicki Minaj / Pink

Not including the likes of Britney and Christina who debut in the 90s but really in my mind 00s artists.

Clearly the 90s has more talent.

Top Males:

The boys kinda let the 90s down a bit (chart wise) though Michael was still pretty dominant the first half of the decade then it was taken over by boy bands.

Though clearly when you look at talent and vocals, the 90s boys are in a class of their own.

Michael Jackson ---------- Drake
                  Prince ---------- Bruno Mars
                  Michael Bolton ---------- Ed Sheeran
                  Bryan Adams ---------- Justin Bieber
                  George Michael ---------- Post Malone
                  Ricky Martin (alt: R.Kelly) ---------- The Weekend, Kanye West, Justin Timberlake

Top Groups:

The 90s obliterates every other decade for groups..

Metallica ---------- Coldplay
                  Nirvana ---------- One Direction
                  Bon Jovi ---------- Maroon 5
                  Green Day ---------- The White Stripes
                  Boyz II Men ---------- Outkast
                  Spice Girls
                  TLC
                  Backstreet Boys
                  NSYNC
                  Oasis
                  Take That
                  Westlife
                  Last edited by skylynx; Fri October 15, 2021, 22:18.

Comment

• Adele discussions in this thread ends here.

Please post further updates in her threads. Thanks.

See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by WhenUWalkBy View Post
                      Remember when Mariah was told about Adele complimenting her. She really looked surprised and clearly has a lot of respect for her.

You better respect a girl who has 2 Diamond albums over just 3 albums.

Comment

• Ok I know it’s ending but I think Mariah and Adele would freakin love each other personality wise, they would make so many wise cracks and laugh the entire time

I would live for a conversation between the two of them for the internet

Adele adores her, she called Butterfly “the Bible”

The new song sounds like Prince’s “Purple Rain,” the same part Mariah paid homage to in “Last Kiss”
                        Last edited by allygdale; Fri October 15, 2021, 22:35.

Comment

• It’s so boring we can’t start discussing anything that it has to be stopped and controlled like Tommy Mottola days

Comment

• Whew chile this fanbase is always a mess.

Comment

• Some of you need to release what you say looks bad, really looks bad and turns others away.

It's quite shocking what you post.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                                Whew chile this fanbase is always a mess.
                                Thank the lord for Black Irish

Comment

• Originally posted by Parkelife View Post
                                  Some of you need to release what you say looks bad, really looks bad and turns others away.

It's quite shocking what you post.
                                  what do you mean? 99% of everyone in this thread says nice things.
                                  My Chart

Comment

• I’m still holding out hope that the Silk Sonic collaboration rumor is true and a new, secular song comes out before she delivers her Christmas onslaught. I saw another rumor on Twitter that Silk Sonic’s next single is a collaboration with a female singer. Fingers crossed it’s Mariah! Can you imagine!?!?
                                    http://marcokircher.com
                                    http://reverbnation.com/marcokircher/songs

My YT Channel!
                                    https://www.youtube.com/user/Cashiado
                                    IG: marco235

Comment

• Omg I can't believe AIWFCIY's spotify record has been broken...
                                      Twitter says EOM scored more than 20 million.. It's crazy..
                                      Hopefully Mariah breaks it again this year

Comment

• I have a feeling she has been so MIA lately because she's getting back in her best shape and she'll come back soon looking like during Caution era
                                        she already looked snatched in that birthday greeting video to Jada!

Comment

• I wonder will Mariah ever perform Bye Bye again.
                                          Me. I am Itsawrap.

Comment

• Originally posted by WhenUWalkBy View Post
                                            I have a feeling she has been so MIA lately because she's getting back in her best shape and she'll come back soon looking like during Caution era
                                            she already looked snatched in that birthday greeting video to Jada!
                                            I feel like this too. And I don’t feed into rumors because that’s just asking for disappointment but I DO hope that SilkSonic rumor is true

Comment

• Crazy how some people act in MARIAH’s thread! We love that other artist… we do! But even that artist would bow to MC’s throne and some people are trying to bait us! That artist will have great success. But she won’t be doing any more diamond studio albums if the first single is anything to go by… and I say this as someone who has adored that artist since pre 2011 and has seen her live and had close personal interaction with her. A great singer but…
                                              she’s not… herself at the moment is all I’m going to say. But imma try take it… easy on her

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderson View Post
                                                Omg I can't believe AIWFCIY's spotify record has been broken...
                                                Twitter says EOM scored more than 20 million.. It's crazy..
                                                Hopefully Mariah breaks it again this year
                                                According to Spotify the song passed 20 million in 19 hrs. It has easily added another 10 million since. Mariah will NEVER re-claim that Spotify record. It's simply impossible. At the very most, I can see it do 20 million. But that's OK, too. I mean we are talking about a 51 year old woman here whose peak was in 1995.

However, we have a great season ahead of us. And even if AIWFCIY won't make it to #1 this year or ever again, we can expect a cute 5 week top 10 run again. Maybe the song could become song of the decade if this trend continues.

There are people on Ukmix who are already shading AIWFCIY. But that's OK. We love everybody.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by itsawrap View Post
                                                  I wonder will Mariah ever perform Bye Bye again.
                                                  That would be like the cast of Cats reuniting to do a TV special.

Comment

• AIWFCIY did 221k yesterday on Spotify... 1 year ago, it did an average of 240k. Let's hope we can catch that in the coming days.
                                                    My Chart

Comment

Working...
                                                    X