Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
    I have no problems with artists using Billboard rules to their advantage. Of course, the spirit may not be there, but why not do what you must to secure the bag.

But all of this is just to say people shouldnt take AIWFCIY potentially hitting #1 (again) for granted!
    Neither do I. The fans and artists shouldn’t ever be blamed for it either—it’s on Billboard to change the rules if they’re truly deemed “unfair”. I do think that in certain cases like the recent B*S releases and last years Taylor Swift release that if the songs disappear quickly after, but have the distinction of being a Billboard #1, they truly aren’t true “hit songs”. Also I’m not singling TS or that group out, I know plenty artists do it.
    funny how one can learn
    to grow numb to the madness
    and block it away

Comment

• Originally posted by LambChild View Post

Neither do I. The fans and artists shouldn’t ever be blamed for it either—it’s on Billboard to change the rules if they’re truly deemed “unfair”. I do think that in certain cases like the recent B*S releases and last years Taylor Swift release that if the songs disappear quickly after, but have the distinction of being a Billboard #1, they truly aren’t true “hit songs”. Also I’m not singling TS or that group out, I know plenty artists do it.
      we are now on the receiving end of what Mariah (in very limited and rare occasions) did in the early 2000s with her singles. But I still think that it's not comparable bc there was no strategic internet campaign in the 1990s or early 2000s, like there is now.

It just sucks, imo, that all this manipulation is going on these days... also with bundles and discounts etc. It seems like the majority of acts are ONLY in it to accumulate titles or sth. It's not even about the music anymore.

I'm happy that Mariah is too weak in the sense that she is not popular enough anymore to command a huge chunk of the GP to do her bidding just so she could gain another #1 or quick success. I love how she has to fight like a warrior with music that she believes in (ie Caution) and let's the music do the talking - literally: Mariah rarely mentions anymore that she is a music / recording artist.

So, let the fight begin. Music versus Manipulation. I bet my coins on Miss Carey because this time, she is on the right side of history and the right side / good side always wins in the end.
      My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by markwalde View Post

I love Miss You Most but it is way too sad to become a huge Christmas song, IMO. Can you think of any other sad Christmas ballad that has done really well on Radio, etc? I think part of AIWFC's power is that it's such a festive, celebratory song without being religious. People play it on repeat. It puts you in a fun mood when you hear it at the mall, or the store.... Miss You Most is the song you cry to when you are at home by yourself, lol. But who knows... maybe it's just me?
        Though not a Christmas song, Autumn Leaves is a true classic for the autumn season. It's has some similarities to Miss You Most.

A HUGE Christmas song, which is a ballad and a sad song: White Christmas.
        My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• One of the best Mariah pics
          Gorgeous...
          Mariah Carey x BTS
          #20th No.1

Comment

• I’m sorry. Say what you want about me. But, I don’t understand why BTS is constantly brought up on this thread. This is not the place. They are no way comparable to the caliber of artistry Mariah possesses.
            Nothing against the boy band, but please, there’s no comparison and no reason to constantly bring them up here! Take it elsewhere please!
            http://marcokircher.com
            http://reverbnation.com/marcokircher/songs

My YT Channel!
            https://www.youtube.com/user/Cashiado
            IG: marco235

Comment

• Originally posted by Cashiado View Post
              I’m sorry. Say what you want about me. But, I don’t understand why BTS is constantly brought up on this thread. This is not the place. They are no way comparable to the caliber of artistry Mariah possesses.
              Nothing against the boy band, but please, there’s no comparison and no reason to constantly bring them up here! Take it elsewhere please!
              Literally NO ONE compared them to mariah artistically. We are just speculating because they’re a threat to AIWFCIY because they’re releasing a song during Xmas time and we know their fans have some tricks to put them at #1 no matter if the song has 0 streams from GP or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by itsawrap View Post

Who was the other artist mentioned? I think Ariana, Anita and someone else…
                Ariana promised to announce something special on November 1st live on the voice. Could it be? the rumours and that specific date it’s suspicious

Comment

• Originally posted by Cashiado View Post
                  I’m sorry. Say what you want about me. But, I don’t understand why BTS is constantly brought up on this thread. This is not the place. They are no way comparable to the caliber of artistry Mariah possesses.
                  It’s clear that they’re a polarizing bunch in this thread. I think that causes them to be argued about here more often than what happens with other artists. That being said, I don’t think ANYONE here, fan or not of them, thinks they’re comparable or possess the caliber of artistry that Mariah does. They’re just brought up so much cause of their chart success and the threat they could potentially pose this year to AIW. We do this with different songs and different artists every year lol.. next year it’ll be someone different.
                  funny how one can learn
                  to grow numb to the madness
                  and block it away

Comment

It’s clear that they’re a polarizing bunch in this thread. I think that causes them to be argued about here more often than what happens with other artists. That being said, I don’t think ANYONE here, fan or not of them, thinks they’re comparable or possess the caliber of artistry that Mariah does. They’re just brought up so much cause of their chart success and the threat they could potentially pose this year to AIW. We do this with different songs and different artists every year lol.. next year it’ll be someone different.
                    I get that. Whatever. Just tired of coming here and seeing BTS. Rant over.
                    http://marcokircher.com
                    http://reverbnation.com/marcokircher/songs

My YT Channel!
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/Cashiado
                    IG: marco235

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post
                      Literally NO ONE compared them to mariah artistically. We are just speculating because they’re a threat to AIWFCIY because they’re releasing a song during Xmas time and we know their fans have some tricks to put them at #1 no matter if the song has 0 streams from GP or not.
                      A threat to AIWFCIY???? It's one of the biggest songs of all time. It will take years for any song to become a threat.
                      The "worst" that can happen: AIWFCIY not going to #1 this year. Seeing the success the song has had and still has, I wouldn't call a new song keeping it from #1 a threat.

Comment

exactly. last year no one was bringing up that boy band's name because they were not a threat, but people were dropping taylor's name because she was the threat for AIW last year, so will be droping other artists name the next year speculating who's gonna battle AIW

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

A threat to AIWFCIY???? It's one of the biggest songs of all time. It will take years for any song to become a threat.
                          The "worst" that can happen: AIWFCIY not going to #1 this year. Seeing the success the song has had and still has, I wouldn't call a new song keeping it from #1 a threat.
                          a threat for being blocked hitting #1, I didn't say it will flop because other song my GOOOOOOOOOOD! everybody knows AIW will dominate and be the biggest song in the world even it don't hit #1 on thw BILLBOARD HOT 100. it was the biggest xmas song even before hit #1 only 3 years ago daahling

Comment

Pretty sure people are talking about this year only.
                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I know they mean this year. But calling it a threat is a bit dramatic. So what if it doesn't go to #1?
                              We would love to see it at #1 again, but it wouldn't be that big a deal if it doesn't.

Comment

I know they mean this year. But calling it a threat is a bit dramatic. So what if it doesn't go to #1?
                                We would love to see it at #1 again, but it wouldn't be that big a deal if it doesn't.
                                You know dear, for some it is a big deal. It's like they're waiting for the moment to say "see? Told ya, it's over".
                                It doesn't matter this song has fulfilled is goal so far...

Comment

• I think we also have to remember it has "only " been TWO Christmas seasons where AIWFCIU has hit number one. IT is not like it has been hitting number one year after year and nothing is guaranteed. Once something becomes too expected it can actually become a bit boring. I didnt really follow the track much last year where as the first year when it peaked at 3 was super exciting to watch it climb, then when it dropped back and the next week took that jump to 3. Now that was an exciting year.
                                  Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                  Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post

You know dear, for some it is a big deal. It's like they're waiting for the moment to say "see? Told ya, it's over".
                                    It doesn't matter this song has fulfilled is goal so far...
                                    It has already fulfilled its goal for 2021...

a) it has already ranked at #1 this year
                                    b) it has already been in the top 10 for 2 weeks this year: #1 and #9 (in January)
                                    c) It is already gunning for 2,2 million weekly streams. And it will continue to increase.

Last year and in 2019 it used to pull in 3,5 - 4,5 million daily on Spotify... EVEN if it would decline a little bit (like 10% or so) it would still add over 160 million streams in 2021.

This "see" moment will not happen anytime soon - if ever. I am 100% sure that the song will run out of steam in the future at some point... in the sense that it will still be THE christmas song and garner a lot of attention... but at some point in the future... all international charts will return to make all christmas songs ineligible. It is the natural course.

The song is already as legendary as the biggest song anyone could think of.

The song has already sold more than 15 million copies and if sps is included has even reached (or is about to reach) 20 million global consumption sales. We are not talking about a song from 2017 or something... an old evergreen wonder.

I love how the song has become synonymous with Christmas and how Mariah has become the undoisputed queen of the holidays. I mean all kinds of random news outlets have accepted her as such.

And all of this is ON TOP of her already outstanding career. Even without Xmas she would still be one of the greatest female legends success-wise (and talent wise even more so).

Even without any of the xmas material Mariah Carey's music is as much streamed and therefore "in demand" as someone like Madonna whose fans praise her as the epitome of unforgettable.

So that means that Mariah's catalogue is just as unforgettable and beloved the world over, forever.

And when she's old and frail (like the uber-legend that is Tina Turner) she won't even care one bit about whatever her music is doing bc she knows what she did and how everything fell into place... a human being with impact that will be felt forever. What more can you want as a recording artist?

Count your blessings and know that you did good in this life and that you have so many random people who worship you (us, the lambs) and who will keep your name spoken - forever.

Who would have known that this shy girl from Long Island with that troubled past who grew up dead-poor with all the turmoil in her life would become this uber-figure in the entertainment industry. One of those lasting legends in the field of music who is recognizable by first name alone.

Mariah created a soundtrack for the history books and that will never change... not in my lifetime and not in the generation that follows ours.

This is a statement of admiration and devotion to someone who touched me so deeply and someone I am rooting for so hard. I am a selfish person... I am not rooting for her bc it is the popularbandwagon thing to do... She gave me so much. Those moments, the memory of growing up with her music... all this time spent with her... serenading me, reflecting on my life through her words and her melodies, through her life's moments, her struggles and celebration. I salute her for having created me as much as the genes that I'm comprised of.

My Chart

Comment

• Seriously stevyy I see your point but I don't care. I'm over about charts, sales and figures. Mariah is my personal hero, she's moved me, she's been my companion, my inspiration. AIWFC is a legend itself. I'm ok with it, even if it doesn't get to #1 again. My lord, she has 84 weeks at #1... what do people want from her?
                                      It's time to enjoy her, her music, lyrics and what she's been cooking for us. It is what we are going to have, the moment, the joy.
                                      What I really think is, unpopular opinion, that many fans want Mariah to keep succeding because they feel they're winning in this "diva race between fandoms" if she does it or project their own desires, tastes and stuff in her.

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post
                                        Seriously stevyy I see your point but I don't care. I'm over about charts, sales and figures. Mariah is my personal hero, she's moved me, she's been my companion, my inspiration. AIWFC is a legend itself. I'm ok with it, even if it doesn't get to #1 again. My lord, she has 84 weeks at #1... what do people want from her?
                                        It's time to enjoy her, her music, lyrics and what she's been cooking for us. It is what we are going to have, the moment, the joy.
                                        What I really think is, unpopular opinion, that many fans want Mariah to keep succeding because they feel they're winning in this "diva race between fandoms" if she does it or project their own desires, tastes and stuff in her.
                                        I partially agree, I want her to success for 2 reasons: to be able to see her in more events and shows and secondly because I know she is very happy when she gets success so I am happy for her.

Comment

• There’s nothing wrong with wanting Mariah to release something more commercial and succeed again on the charts.

This whole “she’s got nothing left to prove and we shouldn’t care about charts anymore” notion is really really annoying.

When you’re a fan of someone, you want them to succeed whether they’ve had success before or not.
                                          To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
                                            There’s nothing wrong with wanting Mariah to release something more commercial and succeed again on the charts.

This whole “she’s got nothing left to prove and we shouldn’t care about charts anymore” notion is really really annoying.

When you’re a fan of someone, you want them to succeed whether they’ve had success before or not.
                                            Completely agree.

Comment

• I'm not saying you shouldn't care, I say I don't care anymore. Mariah has achieved a lot of success until recently but it seems it's never enough.
                                              Of course I prefer her to succeed, I wish her well. I haven't said it the opposite. I've said that I don't care about charts any longer and if you find it annoying, it's ok. But it's my choice and I'm not less a fan than others.
                                              Keep the "aiwfc is not going to get the #1 this year because "whoever launches a new single" is going to top her" fest going
                                              Last edited by delapuerta; Thu October 21, 2021, 22:21.

Comment

• Well, you seem to care about other people caring. The whole tone of your reply is very irate. I mean, the last line alone shows that you seem to be very bothered by people harmlessly speculating about Christmas no 1. Don't see what the big deal is. This speculation happens every year - it is all part of the fun

Comment

• Khalid just dropped "Present". Mariah isn't on it
                                                  #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomer_MC View Post
                                                    Khalid just dropped "Present". Mariah isn't on it
                                                    Was it ever confirmed that she was ? Maybe their song is a seperate thing ?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X