Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eamon View Post

That's perfectly realistic. But that's not the type success expected by many here.

A top 80 single isn't going to majorly boost album streams or sales. It will get Mariah some brief and short lived exposure. Similar to an appearance on a TV show or whatever. Those types of promotional appearances do not carry enough weight to majorly impact on the trajectory of an album era when there is no radio or streaming support.

It's not enough to simply pick a better single. There needs to be major label backing/budget to push a single on those platforms and even with that, that support wanes after a while when the artist is over 40 and has had a long career already. When that budget and push is not there to begin with, all the great single choices and promotion won't make much of a dent.
    Well I personally don't expect her to sell much albums. Caution did as well as she is going to do going forward but it would have been cool to have at least one hot 100 entry from the album too.
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by carey18ph View Post
      She might have a chance of getting another no. 1 if it's a Christmas song. I like to entertain that thought because it'll be another milestone for her. Multiple no. 1 Christmas songs would be awesome.

Since she did OS remix, i wish she will do that same for C(BPCH).
      This is the most unrealistic thing of all. She is never topping AIW which is literally the definition of a once in a career thing.

Comment

Some always have high hopes because Mariah did things that most artists can only dream of with their careers. She has TEOM and AIW as commercial comeback eras. Honestly though, AIW resurgence is her last and i don't mind since it's the most epic of all.
        Mariah is very capable of having a Cher-moment, especially if she wants to. TEOM was a much bigger miracle than a future successful album imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

Well I personally don't expect her to sell much albums. Caution did as well as she is going to do going forward but it would have been cool to have at least one hot 100 entry from the album too.
          I agree... a cute H100 entry would be amazing. I still don't know why GTFO couldn't even make the Bubbling Under Chart, despite being #1 on US Itunes for 4 days and in the top 10 for the remaining 3. The song sold 12k downloads in week 1.

Unfortunately, it had 0 airplay and streaming stalled at 5 million for week 1. The video came too late and the song's sales were split into two different weeks bc it was released on a Thursday.

Maybe a synchronised release strategy would do the trick.
          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by Eamon View Post

That's perfectly realistic. But that's not the type success expected by many here.

A top 80 single isn't going to majorly boost album streams or sales. It will get Mariah some brief and short lived exposure. Similar to an appearance on a TV show or whatever. Those types of promotional appearances do not carry enough weight to majorly impact on the trajectory of an album era when there is no radio or streaming support.

It's not enough to simply pick a better single. There needs to be major label backing/budget to push a single on those platforms and even with that, that support wanes after a while when the artist is over 40 and has had a long career already. When that budget and push is not there to begin with, all the great single choices and promotion won't make much of a dent.
            This is all very US-centered. An act like Madonna can fall back on Europe (which is much more open and supportive of aging veteran acts than the US). I don't know why nobody in Mariah's camp goes that route in terms of singles success.

In the UK, GER, France... we could indeed expect a top 40 placement of a GREAT song with sane promotion. Some argue that it's not worth the investment. I say that it is crucial for her to make people visit her concerts bc it gives her the exposure she needs after a decade of hiding away her new albums under the veil of America first.

My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by mimiongaku View Post

Mariah is very capable of having a Cher-moment, especially if she wants to. TEOM was a much bigger miracle than a future successful album imo.
              No. It wasn't

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post

No. It wasn't
                I think it was an unheard-of success at the time bc she came from being the laughing stock and most ridiculed and un-wanted celebrity of the previous 3 years. The entire music industry was VERY hostile towards her.

The hatred towards her was so strong that a renowned German music blog, called "Laut" gave the album 0/5 stars and called TEOM unlistenable... They just assumed that it was bad and that everyone was bandwagoning on the ridicule train... To this day that music review is on their website.

They literally said that nobody will want to listen to it because it is that bad. (How dumb)
                My Chart

Comment

This is the most unrealistic thing of all. She is never topping AIW which is literally the definition of a once in a career thing.
                  Some are speculating that Rockin around or other Christmas songs by current pop artists can block AIW from no. 1 so why not her doing it even for just a week? Her other songs can definitely benefit to her Queen of Christmas status but apparently it's not gonna happen anytime soon.
                  A place in time still belongs to us...

Comment

• Honestly, I have no idea why TEOM worked and brought her back. Think of it what you will, but her previous 2 albums weren't bad albums either and they did not much. And even without any of the US success... the album would have still sold as much as CB did (incl. the USA).

I am glad that we have TEOM. It was such a great era to follow. Mariah was on the news every day and most everyone liked her again. Good times.
                    My Chart

Comment

No. It wasn't
                      I would say it was a huge anomaly considering where she was career wise at the time.

Comment

Some are speculating that Rockin around or other Christmas songs by current pop artists can block AIW from no. 1 so why not her doing it even for just a week? Her other songs can definitely benefit to her Queen of Christmas status but apparently it's not gonna happen anytime soon.
                        Everyone is now flocking to Rockin' Around... because they saw that covering AIWFCIY would be dumb bc Mariah's version is still the best and the most popular bc she actively promotes it too.

So, now many acts go for the 2nd best song, but they will also realize that they won't be able to top the original.

In some way I can see it for Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)... I think that could be a song that has potential to still grow outside of the original recording artist.
                        My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                          Honestly, I have no idea why TEOM worked and brought her back. Think of it what you will, but her previous 2 albums weren't bad albums either and they did not much. And even without any of the US success... the album would have still sold as much as CB did (incl. the USA).

I am glad that we have TEOM. It was such a great era to follow. Mariah was on the news every day and most everyone liked her again. Good times.

I agree that the previous two albums weren’t anywhere near as bad as people made them out to be but neither of those albums had anywhere near a GOAT on them tho. Remember that at the time, gutterrat R&B was fulled with mostly paper-thin vocalists. People (especially black radio) wanted to hear a SANGER again.
                          Last edited by Goldmoney; Fri October 22, 2021, 15:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post

I agree that the previous two albums weren’t anywhere near as bad as people made them out to be but neither of those albums had anywhere near a GOAT on them tho. Remember that at the time, gutterrat R&B was fulled with mostly paper-thin vocalists. People (especially black radio) wanted to hear a SANGER again.
                            I love how during her performance of ILT the VH1 crowd where she performed the song for a special... was really feeling the vibe of the song. All those late teen - early tweens were vibing so hard to it.

ILT open the door and WBT turned her into a deity.
                            My Chart

Comment

No. It wasn't
                              I agree. It's more hardwork and strategy than miracle. Aside from Mariah working her butt off to all songs in the album, IDJ took risks, gave budget for promotions, etc. capitalizing on "The Voice", "going back to form", etc. Campaigns.
                              A place in time still belongs to us...

Comment

• Weren't there many on this forum who demanded MC30. Well she's back...

Comment

Honestly, I have no idea why TEOM worked and brought her back. Think of it what you will, but her previous 2 albums weren't bad albums either and they did not much. And even without any of the US success... the album would have still sold as much as CB did (incl. the USA).

Well more than most it's because of We Belong Together. It lifted what could've been a Top 20 singles project to something that continued to power her sales and monster radio which continued into Shake It Off to DFAU.

The single is very digestible, appeals to all audiences with its message and whilst its clearly rnb-tinged....it had enough adult contemporary and pop in their to be played to the masses.

You will not get anywhere with a Caution style album regardless what single she released.

That's why she needs to swing the pendulum a bit closer to POP.

Also, the fact that she had label backing at the time meant they were ready to push it.

The videos were on point, the outfits were on point, the promo was on-point and the vocals were back and less whispery-Mariah which plagued Charmbracelet. People were missing Mariah's full-blown singing voice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post

No wonder Katy was embraced later.

Comment

• In other news, Stereogum's long-running Number One's column has now reached Mariah's second number single, "Love Takes Time":

https://www.stereogum.com/2164803/th...e-number-ones/

Comment

• All it takes for Mariah to be #1 again is to be featured on a rapper's hot song like IKWYW and that's it. I wonder if she doesn't like doing features (which seems to be the main thing right now). The last decade all we got was Unforgettable Remix, Can't Say No and The Warning
                                        Previously known as sYair

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair
                                        www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• Originally posted by sYair View Post
                                          All it takes for Mariah to be #1 again is to be featured on a rapper's hot song like IKWYW and that's it. I wonder if she doesn't like doing features (which seems to be the main thing right now). The last decade all we got was Unforgettable Remix, Can't Say No and The Warning
                                          She seems to be ok being featured on a friend’s project (busta, trey lorenz, Rick Ross) or male artists she looks up to (tony b., Pavarotti)

She does not seem to have a problem collaborating with females, being herself the main artist.

Comment

I think it was an unheard-of success at the time bc she came from being the laughing stock and most ridiculed and un-wanted celebrity of the previous 3 years. The entire music industry was VERY hostile towards her.

The hatred towards her was so strong that a renowned German music blog, called "Laut" gave the album 0/5 stars and called TEOM unlistenable... They just assumed that it was bad and that everyone was bandwagoning on the ridicule train... To this day that music review is on their website.

They literally said that nobody will want to listen to it because it is that bad. (How dumb)
                                            I haven't said the opposite. But it wasn't a miracle. She was still on her 30s, she felt she had something to prove, her 1st prime was "closer" and she accepted to do what her team told her. She's in other stage of her life, she's done and got everything and she's not willing to do anything (I'm ok with it). She's building and cementing her legacy (in a tw space she said something big is coming and it's good for her legacy). I love this new Mariah, the memoir era has been great.

Comment

• Originally posted by sYair View Post
                                              All it takes for Mariah to be #1 again is to be featured on a rapper's hot song like IKWYW and that's it. I wonder if she doesn't like doing features (which seems to be the main thing right now). The last decade all we got was Unforgettable Remix, Can't Say No and The Warning
                                              Surely it's obvious by now that these hot rappers are not asking her to feature on their tracks.. for obvious reasons. It is also highly unlikely that Ariana would put Mariah on her lead single as someone said earlier.. it would be like Daydream Mariah putting Dionne Warwick on Fantasy or something lol.. it's not happening. Those scenarios are just unrealistic to expect at this point imo.

Comment

Surely it's obvious by now that these hot rappers are not asking her to feature on their tracks.. for obvious reasons. It is also highly unlikely that Ariana would put Mariah on her lead single as someone said earlier.. it would be like Daydream Mariah putting Dionne Warwick on Fantasy or something lol.. it's not happening. Those scenarios are just unrealistic to expect at this point imo.
                                                It's that comparison is a bit extreme.... use Tina Turner instead. And I can see that.
                                                My Chart

Comment

• In December... and November Mariah is an Ed Sheeran type of act. Why not then... collaborate with the hottest act in town.?
                                                  My Chart

Comment

• If Mariah goes anywhere near Ed Sheeran I will delete her from my music library.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X