Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kaloki View Post
    If Mariah goes anywhere near Ed Sheeran I will delete her from my music library.
    I remember a while back some people were dying for her to appear on the collaborations project album;)
    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki View Post
      If Mariah goes anywhere near Ed Sheeran I will delete her from my music library.
      success-wise. don't be so dramatic. <3
      My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

I remember a while back some people were dying for her to appear on the collaborations project album;)
        those were probably haters disguised as lovers.
        My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

This is all very US-centered. An act like Madonna can fall back on Europe (which is much more open and supportive of aging veteran acts than the US). I don't know why nobody in Mariah's camp goes that route in terms of singles success.

In the UK, GER, France... we could indeed expect a top 40 placement of a GREAT song with sane promotion. Some argue that it's not worth the investment. I say that it is crucial for her to make people visit her concerts bc it gives her the exposure she needs after a decade of hiding away her new albums under the veil of America first.
          I swear to God, you live on a different planet or something. Europe has at this point morphed into the US as far as ageism goes. Madonna, that you brought up, used to be able to count on slaying the European charts given that, due to ageism, her songs would be dead on arrival at her homeland. But that's not the case anymore, her singles following that Superbowl single with Onika and MIA have been tanking everywhere. Even in the UK where she used to reign supreme. Do you not remember the RH era mess? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_...na_controversy Radio stations are not playing her songs, people (especially youngins) view her as a joke and don't buy/stream her music.

Anyway, on topic and back to Mariah, ageism is a bitch and no one is immune to it. It sucks but it is what it is. Mariah regardless of the fact she looks 35 is 51 and has been in the industry for over 30 years. As far as radio success/hit singles go, I don't think she's realistically primed for big success going forward, outside of the holiday season obviously. That said, when she scores a feature on a hot act's (The Weeknd, Bruno, Drake, you name them) I expect her label/team to be on the ball because that should be her only chance pretty much for a hit. Her new (non-Christmas) era next year is gonna be very interesting to watch.

Comment

• Wait, am I the only one who likes Ed Sheeran here? He’s actually one of my favs.
            I AM A GOD!

Comment

• Originally posted by ForeverYoung View Post

I swear to God, you live on a different planet or something. Europe has at this point morphed into the US as far as ageism goes. Madonna, that you brought up, used to be able to count on slaying the European charts given that, due to ageism, her songs would be dead on arrival at her homeland. But that's not the case anymore, her singles following that Superbowl single with Onika and MIA have been tanking everywhere. Even in the UK where she used to reign supreme. Do you not remember the RH era mess? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_...na_controversy Radio stations are not playing her songs, people (especially youngins) view her as a joke and don't buy/stream her music.

Anyway, on topic and back to Mariah, ageism is a bitch and no one is immune to it. It sucks but it is what it is. Mariah regardless of the fact she looks 35 is 51 and has been in the industry for over 30 years. As far as radio success/hit singles go, I don't think she's realistically primed for big success going forward, outside of the holiday season obviously. That said, when she scores a feature on a hot act's (The Weeknd, Bruno, Drake, you name them) I expect her label/team to be on the ball because that should be her only chance pretty much for a hit. Her new (non-Christmas) era next year is gonna be very interesting to watch.
              I think that B!tch, I'm Madonna and Give me all your lovin' are not particularly good songs. It's the mood and stale ish that Mariah is often servicing to the EU.

It cannot BE that Mariah is unable to reach the first half of European albums charts. I mean someone who is even more removed from youth culture... such as Dolly Parton of freakin' Bette Midler could score top 20 albums in Germany. Mariah cannot even make the top 60.This cannot stand.
              My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by darnellabc View Post
                Wait, am I the only one who likes Ed Sheeran here? He’s actually one of my favs.
                I don’t like Ed Sheeran nor his music. I’ve listened to his most popular songs back in the day, also the one with Biever and some others on that album, and his latest singles. I really tried, but I find them all lack originality. For me, he’s like DJ Khaled, nice and catchy forgettable rythms

Comment

• Originally posted by elguachin View Post

I don’t like Ed Sheeran nor his music. I’ve listened to his most popular songs back in the day, also the one with Biever and some others on that album, and his latest singles. I really tried, but I find them all lack originality. For me, he’s like DJ Khaled, nice and catchy forgettable rythms
                  Yeah his singles are usually generic but, I really enjoy his ballads like Thinking Out Loud or Perfect. Too each their own I guess.
                  I AM A GOD!

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

those were probably haters disguised as lovers.

Comment

• Mariah's Essence Festival performance from 2016 was so good. she totally dominated the stage!
                      #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• Happy to see Audible doing some ads

See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I hope Fall In Love At Christmas is sent to radio

Comment

• I love Gunna. He's been consistent with his praise of Mariah. You can tell that the collab meant a lot to him.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...cians-1240104/

Comment

• Here what I think… a lot of people here never thought Mariah would ever, could ever, don’t even dream it, are you stupid or just delusional, her last one was 2008 she is NEVER gonna get another No.1 I know everything and that is that.

Well… she did get that 19th No.1.

I don’t GAF what some people think… Mariah’s whole career is based on chart success, it IS and always has been incredibly important to her, whether she always chooses to admit it or not. Mariah isn’t chasing a No.1 for any old song, but sooner or later the right song and the right moment will come along and she has EVERY chance of securing a 20th No.1 which she would just go WILD for! I can’t even tell people how much it meant to ME for Mariah to get her 19th No.1 hit. So I can’t even fathom how much it really meant deep down to her. Especially after all those years, Rockerfeller, NYE, Stella, James etc… bitch only done gone came back and got ANOTHER No.1 hit… at 49 years old.

So all those people who say she can’t do it and it will never happen… ‘you obviously havnt studied her career closely enough’
                              Last edited by Chris87; Sat October 23, 2021, 11:09.

Comment

• Lil Snowman remix ft. Pentatonix confirmed

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                  I love Gunna. He's been consistent with his praise of Mariah. You can tell that the collab meant a lot to him.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...cians-1240104/
                                  It was my less fav song of Caution and it's grown a lot on me lately

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post

It was my less fav song of Caution and it's grown a lot on me lately
                                    It was definitely a grower. I can’t get enough of the three song sequence of One mo Gen, 8th Grade and SLLY - perfect sequence

Comment

• Today is the 30th anniversary of Cant Let Go

Comment

• Aww I like Gunna she should work with him again. On a harder song though

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldmoney View Post

I agree that the previous two albums weren’t anywhere near as bad as people made them out to be but neither of those albums had anywhere near a GOAT on them tho. Remember that at the time, gutterrat R&B was fulled with mostly paper-thin vocalists. People (especially black radio) wanted to hear a SANGER again.
                                          I still don’t understand how people don’t get why TEOM happened

WBT sang in her 90s voice, it came out before the album, the album was top notch, the label threw money into videos and radio and marketing, and she had a new stylist

They took everything that worked for Music Box and Daydream but let Mariah be Mariah

Comment

• There you are, holding ha hand
                                            I am lost
                                            Dyin’ to understand
                                            Didn't I cherish you right
                                            Don't you know you were my life

Greatest
                                            Of
                                            All
                                            Time

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post

I still don’t understand how people don’t get why TEOM happened

WBT sang in her 90s voice, it came out before the album, the album was top notch, the label threw money into videos and radio and marketing, and she had a new stylist

They took everything that worked for Music Box and Daydream but let Mariah be Mariah
                                              the whole era was perfectly executed and the ‘return of the voice’ campaign was powerful.

when the marketing is good and the music is better, things fall into place.

Comment

• I think the executives and the label knew in advance the album had so much potential and so decided to put money in promo from the very bennining

Comment

• Originally posted by Eamon View Post

Reasons why? Budget, budget, budget. These are business decisions related to what is financially viable and what isn’t. It’s not Mariah being lazy or uninterested despite the narrative many try to push. She has a budget for Christmas promo because her Christmas music is a guaranteed income generator for everyone involved.

A label isn’t going to majorly invest in non-Christmas eras now because the return isn’t great. That’s why the main purpose of her non holiday releases now are to give her an excuse to tour, which will hopefully start again once COVID is a thing of the past.
                                                  This, I think the label budget is a bigger hurdle than age

The key for the next era to get recognition will be somehow securing a bigger budget for music videos and advertisements, and Spotify “Today’s Top Hits” placement for the single, but if she doesn’t get it, oh well!

I really think the music videos for Caution were too boring to serve as effective promotional vehicles for the songs

If she personally wants another hit single or an album more commercially successful than the last two, AIWFCIY 2019 campaign at least showed her pared down team what needs to be done
                                                  Last edited by allygdale; Sat October 23, 2021, 16:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post

the whole era was perfectly executed and the ‘return of the voice’ campaign was powerful.

when the marketing is good and the music is better, things fall into place.
                                                    Yeah, LA Reid was a god send in 2005.

He’s responsible for GOAT even existing and his PR campaigning that era was ON POINT.

Too bad consistency isn’t one of his greatest strengths.
                                                    Greatest
                                                    Of
                                                    All
                                                    Time

Comment

Working...
                                                    X