No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The music video on Facebook has crossed 1.6M views. But from the experience of Where I Belong, I think it's safe to say they aren't filtered yet for people who streamed the full song.

Originally posted by stevyy View Post

GTFO went #1 in like 40 or so countries on Itunes. She got a plague for that.
    Oh right! I forgot about that!
    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I still think “Malibu” by Chick with Mariah’s original vocals could be big, same with an uptempo with ILT/WBT/Dreamlover vocals or a dance collaboration a la “Cold Heart” or even a YDKWTD disco type song

It seems like people aren’t as into Christmas music generally this year as the last few years

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post
        I still think “Malibu” by Chick with Mariah’s original vocals could be big, same with an uptempo with ILT/WBT/Dreamlover vocals or a dance collaboration a la “Cold Heart” or even a YDKWTD disco type song

It seems like people aren’t as into Christmas music generally this year as the last few years
        AIWFCIY is FAR outperforming 2020's daily gains in November (+10%, or over 100,000 streams more).

Fall In Love at Christmas is just too much quality.
        My Chart

Comment

• FILAC broke me. I'm now approaching 200 plays in day 3. This could become my most streamed song ever.
          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

GTFO went #1 in like 40 or so countries on Itunes. She got a plague for that.
            Hope she gets treated for that. Nasty.

I’ve taken a moment to let the song sink in, and although I hated it on first listen, I kinda like it now - parts of it are even lovely, albeit being slightly disjointed overall. There’s no point to it without the Gospel part, but I don’t think its wig snatching like she stated, but we know Mariahland is a different world to ours.

Pros: Her whispery vocals are gorgeous, the melody on her verse is stunning, she goes well with a choir, I like the overall flow. She looks beautiful. I like the lyrics, tho theyre a bit Mariah heavy for a collabo.

Cons: Production is slightly cheap in the song, but especially the video - I’m over her men directing for her. It was bad with Nick, and Tanaka is no improvement, and stuck in this early 90s zany camera thing. That metallic tone in her voice - Is that natural strain plus auto tune? Khalids contribution at all - the vocals are awful, and in the video reminds me of when someone brings a fan on stage to sing along but they just kinda murmur the words and sway a bit, too star struck to actually give input.

I give it a 6.5/10

Comment

• AIWFCIY 2019 version is also getting close to a million views a day already. Obv worldwide views, but is this normal for so early?

Comment

FILAC broke me. I'm now approaching 200 plays in day 3. This could become my most streamed song ever.
                how is possible to listen only 1 song this much and it's not a full week yet? and it's a 5min song. are you a machine?

Comment

• I've given the song a few days but it's just not for me.

I really liked Khalid when he first came out (I even went saw him in concert!) but think he went off the boil very fast. His contribution to this song is incoherent mumbling to my ears so hasn't helped turn than opinion around.

Then Mariah's parts..... It just doesn't sound nice :S

The way she sings some words is so jarring. The "there", "fall" and "by" in the last chorus sound like the notes have been capped or something? I dunno how to explain it, but they don't sound like noises a human being can naturally make to me.
                  ​​​​​​It's a problem she's had on all the stand alone songs she's done in the last decade (not sure why but Caution doesn't suffer the same problem, maybe because she ran out of time to go back and mess with vocals).

The outro is a bit of a mess and gives me flashbacks to Heavenly. A lot of bizarre pronunciation/noises

So yeah, sadly this is going in the Infinity/I Don't/Snowman/Save the Day/Triumphant/Infamous pile that Mariah has built up the last few years.

I appreciate she tried to do something different though rather than just rip off AIWFCIY like everyone else tries. Khalid is quite popular so hopefully grabs a little bit of attention for her Christmas show

*Goes back to playing CTIITAA and Born is the King 150 times a day*

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post

how is possible to listen only 1 song this much and it's not a full week yet? and it's a 5min song. are you a machine?
                    yes I am.

129x Original
                    40x Extended Radio Edit
                    36x Radio Version
                    = 205 streams from me since Friday (68 streams per day so far and counting).
                    My Chart

Comment

• Since I don't use Itunes... I bought the Original from amazon music for 1,29€ and then the EP extra. The German chart is a revenue chart... so with that I hope that she can debut at #1 on the German singles charts.
                      My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaloki View Post
                        I've given the song a few days but it's just not for me.

I really liked Khalid when he first came out (I even went saw him in concert!) but think he went off the boil very fast. His contribution to this song is incoherent mumbling to my ears so hasn't helped turn than opinion around.

Then Mariah's parts..... It just doesn't sound nice :S

The outro is a bit of a mess and gives me flashbacks to Heavenly. A lot of bizarre pronunciation/noises

So yeah, sadly this is going in the Infinity/I Don't/Snowman/Save the Day/Triumphant/Infamous pile that Mariah has built up the last few years.

I appreciate she tried to do something different though rather than just rip off AIWFCIY like everyone else tries. Khalid is quite popular so hopefully grabs a little bit of attention for her Christmas show

*Goes back to playing CTIITAA and Born is the King 150 times a day*
                        R u on glue? jk

I read your point of view and say that the opposite is true for me.

I love her vocals. They sound incredible.

The production sounds outstanding.

Triumphant doesn't belong in the trash bin. The only song that I would put there is Infamous.

I don't like I don't...but it's not trash. Just like FILAC is probably among her 10 greatest songs of her career.

My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by Watlingstreet View Post

I give it a 6.5/10

it's a 10/10 or more realistically a 100 / 10 from me.

Mariah's best original Xmas songs:

#1 - All I want for Christmas is You
                          #2 - One Child
                          #3 - Fall in Love at Christmas
                          #4 - Oh Santa
                          #5 - Miss you Most (at Christmas Time)
                          #6 - Christmas Time Is In The Air Again
                          #7 - Jesus Born on this Day
                          #8 - The Star
                          #9 - When Christmas Comes
                          #10 - Lil' Snowman

I hope I didn't forget one. If she'd record Where are you Christmas (which I think she did for the new special)... she will have 11 original Xmas songs. Enough for another album full of originals... "Merry Carey: The Christmas Confection"
                          My Chart

Comment

• Lil Snowman is a bop Idk what’s wrong with y’all

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
                              Lil Snowman is a bop Idk what’s wrong with y’all
                              Agree with you. It's very funny

Comment

• I love Lil Snowman for what it was. Let me go give it some streams
                                See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Lil' Snowman was cute.
                                  The midi sound, tho
                                  Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

• Stevyy always cracks me up with his unique taste in Mariah’s songs. Sometimes I don’t even now if he is joking or not.
                                    Btw, I’m Ok with FILAC, it’s just not like what I imagined after she said she’s obsessed with the song.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeyondIdolization View Post
                                      Stevyy always cracks me up with his unique taste in Mariah’s songs. Sometimes I don’t even now if he is joking or not.
                                      Btw, I’m Ok with FILAC, it’s just not like what I imagined after she said she’s obsessed with the song.
                                      I'm team Mariah on this one. She didn't even lie this time.
                                      My Chart

Comment

• My favorite Mariah original Xmas songs:

#01 - The Star
                                        #02 - Lil Snowman
                                        #03 - Jesus Born On This Day
                                        #04 - Oh Santa (with J-Hud and Ariana)
                                        #05 - One Child
                                        #06 - When Christmas Comes (duet)
                                        #07 - Fall In Love at Christmas (with outro)
                                        #08 - All I Want For Christmas Is You
                                        #09 - Where Are You Christmas
                                        #10 - Miss You Most (at Christmas Time)
                                        #11 - Christmas Time Is In The Air Again
                                        My Instagram... - Click here

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                          My favorite Mariah original Xmas songs:

#01 - The Star
                                          #02 - Lil Snowman
                                          #05 - One Child
                                          Don’t forget about Christmas in New York hehe.

Comment

• Have listened to FILAC a bit more over the weekend. I like it more than before - nice to have a proper melodic song with flowy vocals. I'm glad so many people like it and even love it. Hopefully it will do well and it's a nice add to her repertoire. For me, it's an ambience song - nice pleasant background music. Not something I crave to listen to or even seek out to play on my playlist...but if it is on, I am more than happy to listen to it. In fact, because it is not so obviously Xmassy, then I won't automatically skip it if it happened to come on during March or April etc.

Cons (why I don't crave to listen to it): I hate Khalid's contribution to it - I have no idea what he is singing (to me, he just adds a fuzzy layer over the song) - maybe Mariah was trying to have the male part do the same as in Dedicated, where the lower male part beefed up her lighter voice (and therefore gave the impression of a fat belt). But no - his vocals make everything sound like a slightly out of tune radio. It therefore grates on me and is annoying - not the feeling you want when listening to a song. And the tone of some of Mariah's vocals sound really jarring (i.e. the very beginning of her verse, where she goes "Ay-ay-ay-ay-ay-and..." - so nasal and jarring. I was actualy shocked (also, it really looks like she is giving the camera the finger in the video at this part...). And in the final chorus, her belts sound like they are played through a tinny transister radio - not sure why it sounds so bad - her belts should be reverbed to heck, as that is one of her many money shots she is famous for.

I love her climax (i.e. the snippet) but it really feels out of place with the rest of the song. Now that I know the song and know when it is coming, then I look forward to it, but when I first heard the song, I was like "huh? Where did this come from and why is suddenly screaming?" As for the video - it's cringe. Even though Mariah looks 100/10, Khalid looks like his smile has been permanently botoxed on and is having an ecstatic moment while dreaming in his sleep. And her double-speed recording of the parts makes her look like she can't even lipsynch to a song on a video.

I am hoping she does a solo version when performing it or hopefully Trey can improve it. Remove Khalid and I would like it much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                                              My favorite Mariah original Xmas songs:

#01 - The Star
                                              #02 - Lil Snowman
                                              #05 - One Child
                                              I can’t take this list seriously. Purely because of the first 2.
                                              To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post

Georgina agreed, LOL.

I understand for some people the "regular" version could be way too long and maybe bussy, they should stick to the radio edit/shorter versions.

But I disagree with her about not being "christmassy" (is this even a word? ) enough like the ones everyone is putting out rn like she pointed out, e.g. Kelly.
                                                I mean, of course, it doesn't sound too traditional and it separates from the canon and that's what makes it special IMO. It's not basic and I appreciate that A LOT.
                                                Yes. And very commonly used.
                                                Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                                Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

• Low-key hoping that Mariah will be performing AIW live

Comment

we have to accept the fact that England isn't here for the song. I hope the US is... FILAC is such a troll song... because it is so unique and I hope that some more modern societies can appreciate it.
                                                    How is it going down in Germany ? Isn't there a campaign there currently to ban All I want for Christmas from the charts and soceity in general ? I cannot imagine Alemania is embracing this new classic with open arms .
                                                    Zero tolerance for : bigotry, racism, wilful ignorance.
                                                    Pronouns: He / Him

Comment

Working...
                                                    X