No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has it been confirmed that the special is so short, or is it just a rumour? Maybe it was conceived as a longer music video?! The short clip looks awesome. It would have been nice to have a longer special, especially with JK as director.

Comment

• Originally posted by butterfly_33 View Post

Why? Because truth hurts?
      No, because you don't know it

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

This seems a bit contradictory. Wouldn't a full blown new special be....overkill?

---

I didn't expect to defend MC this much about this special as I too was disappointed. But some reactions on socials were completely gross.

I warned weeks ago that the special would be scaled back and maybe I should have pushed that more, but that's obviously difficult not knowing all the details.

Nonetheless, Mariah has time and time again explained, over the last couple years especially, how much she fights for things. Just think of the fact that Mariah Carey, the Queen of Christmas, had to release a Christmas song independently....that alone should have been an indication that she is doing what she can. She even directed it herself!!! Further, look at when Sony supports her. For her catalog. Not for new projects.

She did what she could with this. There was no big budget. There was no demand from Apple to create an over the top new thing. Of course she maybe could have tampered down expectations a lot, but i think her excitement about things is read into a lot more than probably should be. But at this stage in her career, can you blame her about being excited about any new opportunity?
        To be honest, yes (to the first part).. The Christmas narrative has gotten a bit overkill. I did also say that next year I’m not going to be too interested. I’ve said intermittently to over the last couple of years that it concerns me that people are saying more and more that she’s only famous for one song or that she’s only around when Christmas comes. I don’t want her legacy becoming solely about Christmas and it feels like it’s heading that way.
        To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

I‘m sorry to say, but she‘s so obsessed of doing everything her way, that she‘s lost it - hurts so much writing it, because she still has everything:
          • beauty,
          • voice (gosh, she would kill every Adele song with her tone),
          • beautiful/ funny personality
          However, she lives in a bubble and just doesn’t accept other directions anymore.

apple would kiss her ass and give her 50 minutes if she would deliver new mass-friendly music. But after FILAC, they must have been like „girl.... no way“
          She really does operate on her own terms, whether the results are satisfactory to us as fans or not. Reminds me of the radio interview where the DJ said “Mariah just flew in from her own planet.”, to which she replies, “I did, and I don’t really care, ‘cuz, who can say that?”

For Mariah, it really is “Mariah’s World”, and as much as she has earned that luxury after all she has put out into the world, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss the Mariah who was more in sync with the “real world.”

Comment

• In the recent interview, she said that TMOMC tv series/movie is her next project. As soon as I heard that I was like ugh....either she has wrapped up MC16 already or she really is not going to be doing a full album anymore and will continue to release singles (and based on past performance, will be more throaway or niche projects).

When i realised the Clark Sisters and Brandy are not going to be on the special (or presumably unlikely to), i'm not sure whether to be happy or not. I mean yes, less urban and urban gospel sounds on the Special cause they're not on there....but what it could also mean is that it will actually be on MC16. Sigh.

I think we have to be realistic that she is probably not going to get a Drake/hot artist style collab. She's just not hot enough for them and they probably want nothing to do with her Christmas stuff. They probably shopped FILAC out to Bruno Mars or Post Malone or other big male rnb vocalist but could only settle on Khalid (i mean he's OK but not THAT big no offence just facts).

We should keep our expectations of MC16 in check. It's likely going to be based on the BUtterfly Lounge concept which means low key, small band style music with very urban tinge....very FILAC. I'm sure some would love that but it will be yet another niche offering.

Comment

• I'm team "excited because it looks like she is focusing on her next album".
              Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post

Well we can blame her and her team about creating hype about this. I'm not known for being a troll neither a very critical person with her, but they haven't controlled this well. That this was going to be bigger came from her camp, not the lambs. She's being hidden all year because she was working on this.
                I'm a bit dissapointed but I'm mad with her team now blaming on the lambs
                Not sure how this conclusion could have ever been drawn.

She's been workong on this...and other things. Some already announced and others to come.
                See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

Not sure how this conclusion could have ever been drawn.

She's been workong on this...and other things. Some already announced and others to come.
                  She said that on February and afterwards. She was excited about what she was cooking with Apple. I've being very supportive, I've had many discussions with people on here defending her, so I'm not the type to dramatize everything. But her and her team have caused this mess. I'm seeing on twitter that the "real lambs" are supporting her and criticising other fans.. also I can see a change in your narrative. Ok, I don't have to show my credentials, but her team reaction is disgusting. Blaming on the lambs and putting all of us in the bag of haters is not the way

Comment

• Just think of what she had to do for the Masteclass thing alone....

Comment

• She’s mentioned many artists have been through the butterfly lounge this year so I’m anticipating some kind of music project has been completed that we don’t know about yet. Like others, I’m hoping that’s why the length and quality of the special has been compromised.. and if it has, I’ll be more than happy for that to have been the case.
                      To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• The negativity in this goes a little too far now.
                        My Chart

Comment

Just think of what she had to do for the Masteclass thing alone....
                          Ok. Good job Mariah

How we say in Spain: Guapa, reina, para ti el barrio entero

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post

To be honest, yes (to the first part).. The Christmas narrative has gotten a bit overkill. I did also say that next year I’m not going to be too interested. I’ve said intermittently to over the last couple of years that it concerns me that people are saying more and more that she’s only famous for one song or that she’s only around when Christmas comes. I don’t want her legacy becoming solely about Christmas and it feels like it’s heading that way.
                            Now is the stage in her career to use the Christmas clout to relaunch her non-Christmas music. If she or her team are not smart enough to realise that then we're all at a lost cause. In music things are always about timing.

Capitalise on the success by actually giving the next non-Christmas era a big push. Yes there will be ageism but at least you're pushing against the narrative and start to release music again that more than 2% of the audience would listen too and like.

But she's doing the opposite. She's going back into her shell and releasing the same tired urban rnb sounds that has gotten her nowhere the past decade. Her fanbase has dwindled to a few thousand fans and MC16 s looking like another low-key affair. sigh.

She has momments of brilliance but clearly she's the source of her own demise at times.

Comment

• Originally posted by delapuerta View Post

She said that on February and afterwards. She was excited about what she was cooking with Apple. I've being very supportive, I've had many discussions with people on here defending her, so I'm not the type to dramatize everything. But her and her team have caused this mess. I'm seeing on twitter that the "real lambs" are supporting her and criticising other fans.. also I can see a change in your narrative. Ok, I don't have to show my credentials, but her team reaction is disgusting. Blaming on the lambs and putting all of us in the bag of haters is not the way

Of course she was.

She works on all the details of her project from costumes to makeup to designs. These things dont just come together.

Working on it in February does not mean working on it only since then.

Some of the things she's announced in the last few weeks alone take up a lot of time and effort. Not to mention, Mariah is entitled to rest.

How her team reacts to lambs is definitely not nice/warranted but that does not mean that some fan reactions weren't also gross. The whole day has been poor tbh.

Comment

• also the FILAC hate in here... I mean... say you don't like it... and go with that... instead of insinuating that people who like the song (like myself, I think it is a career highlight) be dumb or sth.

It is quite literally not a fact that FILAC is trash. Just putting this out there.
                                My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by roguetrippn View Post

She really does operate on her own terms, whether the results are satisfactory to us as fans or not. Reminds me of the radio interview where the DJ said “Mariah just flew in from her own planet.”, to which she replies, “I did, and I don’t really care, ‘cuz, who can say that?”

For Mariah, it really is “Mariah’s World”, and as much as she has earned that luxury after all she has put out into the world, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss the Mariah who was more in sync with the “real world.”
                                  I've been watching some of her older interviews. She comes across very well back then. Her views on music particularly was insightful and worldly to a degree. She didn't like being positioned in to a category and you felt that she had a strong mature bearing about her.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
                                    In the recent interview, she said that TMOMC tv series/movie is her next project. As soon as I heard that I was like ugh....either she has wrapped up MC16 already or she really is not going to be doing a full album anymore and will continue to release singles (and based on past performance, will be more throaway or niche projects).

When i realised the Clark Sisters and Brandy are not going to be on the special (or presumably unlikely to), i'm not sure whether to be happy or not. I mean yes, less urban and urban gospel sounds on the Special cause they're not on there....but what it could also mean is that it will actually be on MC16. Sigh.

I think we have to be realistic that she is probably not going to get a Drake/hot artist style collab. She's just not hot enough for them and they probably want nothing to do with her Christmas stuff. They probably shopped FILAC out to Bruno Mars or Post Malone or other big male rnb vocalist but could only settle on Khalid (i mean he's OK but not THAT big no offence just facts).

We should keep our expectations of MC16 in check. It's likely going to be based on the BUtterfly Lounge concept which means low key, small band style music with very urban tinge....very FILAC. I'm sure some would love that but it will be yet another niche offering.
                                    Sure, why would a hot artist be eager to work on a song like FILAC?!? It‘s cute yeahh that’s it.

It‘s NOT true that current famous artists don’t want to work with Mariah Carey - they just don’t want the music she is going for since 4ever.

Let‘s be honest in our small lambily land - Why was #beautiful with Miguel so good? Because it was a Miguel song (the whole song already existed) ... and if I am honest Mariah worsened the song with her over the top breathy notes ... with more straightforward vocals, #beautiful would have been a beast. But even with her singing style, the song was a bop because it was a vision of someone else.

THAT is what Mariah Carey is missing since 15 years - someone who is better than her and has a standing in the business.

As a Director myself, I know how important it is to have a team around you whose members are each on his own better in a specific field than I am.

In MARIAH’S case however, she has surrounded herself with C-Level talent and she seems to enjoy it because she likes them, but that’s not the base for success.

Comment

Of course she was.

She works on all the details of her project from costumes to makeup to designs. These things dont just come together.

Working on it in February does not mean working on it only since then.

Some of the things she's announced in the last few weeks alone take up a lot of time and effort. Not to mention, Mariah is entitled to rest.

How her team reacts to lambs is definitely not nice/warranted but that does not mean that some fan reactions weren't also gross. The whole day has been poor tbh.
                                      Well, hire a better PR team and tell things better because most of the lambs have thought the same. I've been saying that IDC about charts and it's true. I want to enjoy her and this has been a dissapointment, but the thing is that she should learn of mistakes as everybody does. At the end of the day ain't that deep, but it's like any critics are welcomed... she's being talking about the new special until recently. But ok, no budget, just her effort doing this. Bravo Mariah

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                        also the FILAC hate in here... I mean... say you don't like it... and go with that... instead of insinuating that people who like the song (like myself, I think it is a career highlight) be dumb or sth.

It is quite literally not a fact that FILAC is trash. Just putting this out there.
                                        I still love FILAC, on heavy rotation. Love her tone

Comment

• also the Xmas legacy hate...

People who fear that Mariah will become only known for that play right into the hate. That narrative is pure nonsense... as evidenced by her re-current numbers of her music catalogue... people who are only known for one thing, do not have 15 albums... of which a dozen have actually decent streaming success.. (among pre-streaming acts).

The only difference between Mariah and Céline (the 2nd biggest female xmas act in the world) is that Mariah actually promotes her stuff ... which is reasonable. But Mariah also promotes her regular music either by touring (in recent years) or by those random yt moments...

But one thing should be clear... people who expect Mariah's new music to become some sort of global happening will always get disappointed and set themselves up for it. I mean ... the last time she released regular music was in 2018 and the album was called Caution and it is general concensus on here that the album was great...

so, i don't fear the next project, nor am I concerned about anything. There is no evidence that suggests that we should.

Yes, the Xmas special hype was misplaced... and she deserves some flack for that... but it's not that deep.
                                          My Chart

Comment

• I wonder how they plan to blend this year's special into last. Is it going to be a story woven or just a totally completely different beast.

The Magic Continues kinda insinuates that they're connected story line somehow.

Hopefully this is like the Extended Edition and they in future can just combine the two projects into 1 and release it together annually.

Comment

Sure, why would a hot artist be eager to work on a song like FILAC?!? It‘s cute yeahh that’s it.

It‘s NOT true that current famous artists don’t want to work with Mariah Carey - they just don’t want the music she is going for since 4ever.

Let‘s be honest in our small lambily land - Why was #beautiful with Miguel so good? Because it was a Miguel song (the whole song already existed) ... and if I am honest Mariah worsened the song with her over the top breathy notes ... with more straightforward vocals, #beautiful would have been a beast. But even with her singing style, the song was a bop because it was a vision of someone else.

THAT is what Mariah Carey is missing since 15 years - someone who is better than her and has a standing in the business.

As a Director myself, I know how important it is to have a team around you whose members are each on his own better in a specific field than I am.

In MARIAH’S case however, she has surrounded herself with C-Level talent and she seems to enjoy it because she likes them, but that’s not the base for success.
                                              don't act like the Caution music which was released 5 years later, doesn't exist.

half of Caution >>>>>>>>> #Beautiful.
                                              My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
                                                I wonder how they plan to blend this year's special into last. Is it going to be a story woven or just a totally completely different beast.

The Magic Continues kinda insinuates that they're connected story line somehow.

Hopefully this is like the Extended Edition and they in future can just combine the two projects into 1 and release it together annually.
                                                I think once this add on stops, the old special begins to play right after.

But dont quote me on that one.

Comment

• AIW topped the all time Greatest Xmas song and MC album is at #3
                                                  https://www.billboard.com/music/char...ts-1234999010/

Greatest of All Time Holiday 100 Songs Top Five:
                                                  1, “All I Want for Christmas Is You,” Mariah Carey
                                                  2, “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree,” Brenda Lee
                                                  3, “Jingle Bell Rock,” Bobby Helms
                                                  4, “The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You),” Nat King Cole
                                                  5, “A Holly Jolly Christmas,” Burl Ives

reatest of All Time Top Holiday Albums Top Five:
                                                  1, Vince Guaraldi Trio, A Charlie Brown Christmas(soundtrack)
                                                  2, Michael Bublé, Christmas
                                                  3, Mariah Carey, Merry Christmas
                                                  4, Mannheim Steamroller, A Fresh Aire Christmas
                                                  5, Mannheim Steamroller, Christmas

Comment

• Let's all just calm down, I'm depressed reading all this..

I think everything looks fabulous and I'm always looking forward to whatever Mariah puts out music-wise, Christmas and not.

FILAC is a beautiful song!!

#mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

Working...
                                                    X