• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats!!!
    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
      Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas Is You’ Makes Record Return to No. 1 on Hot 100

The 1994 modern classic leads six holiday hits in the top 10.

By Gary Trust . 12/20/2021

https://www.billboard.com/music/char...21-1235012982/

Mariah Carey‘s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” makes an unprecedented return to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 songs chart, rising from No. 2. The carol logs its sixth total week atop the Hot 100 and becomes the first song in the chart’s history to have led in three distinct runs on the ranking.

The song was first released on Carey’s album Merry Christmas in 1994 and, as streaming has grown and holiday music has become more prominent on streaming services’ seasonal playlists, it hit the Hot 100’s top 10 for the first time in December 2017, before ascending to No. 1 in both December 2019 (for three weeks) and December 2020 (two).

Carey’s gift that keeps on giving (and leading) paces six holiday classics in the Hot 100’s top 10, with Brenda Lee’s “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” rising to No. 2 and Wham!’s “Last Christmas” returning to the tier at No. 9.

The Hot 100 blends all-genre U.S. streaming (official audio and official video), radio airplay and sales data. All charts (dated Dec. 25) will update on Billboard.com tomorrow (Dec. 21). For all chart news, you can follow Billboard and Billboardcharts on both Twitter and Instagram.

Here’s a deeper look at Carey’s latest Hot 100 coronation with “Christmas,” on Columbia Records/Legacy Recordings.

Airplay, streams & sales: Carey’s “Christmas” drew 37.6 million U.S. streams (up 16%) and 26.1 million radio airplay audience impressions (up 7%) and sold 7,400 downloads (up 7%) in the Dec. 10-16 tracking week, according to MRC Data.

The song spends a 13th total week at No. 1 on the Streaming Songs chart and rises 9-7 on Digital Song Sales; and 24-23 on Radio Songs. It also leads the multi-metric Holiday 100 chart for a 49th week, of the chart’s 54 total weeks since the list launched in 2011; it has topped the tally for 34 consecutive weeks, dating to the start of the 2015-16 holiday season, and dominates as the top title on the recently-revealed Greatest of All Time Holiday 100 Songs chart.

Since its release, the song has upped its U.S. totals to 4.3 billion in radio audience, 1.4 billion streams and 3.7 million in download sales.

No. 1 in a third separate chart run: Carey’s “Christmas” first topped the Hot 100 dated Dec. 21, 2019, and led again on the next two lists, dated Dec. 28, 2019, and Jan. 4, 2020.

The following holiday season, it returned to No. 1 on the chart dated Dec. 19, 2020, and, after a week at No. 2 (below Taylor Swift’s “Willow”), topped the Jan. 2, 2021, dated tally.

As “Christmas” rules the latest, Dec. 25, 2021-dated chart, it claims its sixth total week at No. 1 in its third seasonal run at the summit, becoming the first song in the Hot 100’s 63-year history to lead in three distinct chart runs. The track has re-entered the survey each November or December dating to 2012.

(As “Christmas” has made four interrupted climbs to the top of the Hot 100, on charts dated Dec. 21, 2019, Dec. 19, 2020, Jan. 2, 2021, and now Dec. 25, 2021, it ties 24kGoldn’s “Mood,” featuring iann dior, beginning in October 2020, and Drake’s “Nice for What,” in 2018, as the only songs with four separate ascents to No. 1; unlike “Christmas,” the latter two tracks logged their four distinct rises to No. 1 over unbroken chart stays.)

Longest span atop the Hot 100: Carey’s “Christmas” now boasts the longest span from a song’s first week at No. 1 on the Hot 100 to its latest: two years and four days (Dec. 21, 2019-Dec. 25, 2021).

It passes the only other song to lead the Hot 100 over multiple runs: Chubby Checker’s “The Twist,” which topped the tally dated Sept. 19, 1960, before, thanks to new popularity among adult audiences, leading the lists dated Jan. 13 and 20, 1962, ruling again after a gap of a year, three months and three weeks. (Still, that break remains the longest between Hot 100 reigns.)

Most weeks at No. 1 for a holiday hit: With its sixth week atop the Hot 100, Carey’s “Christmas” extends its record for the most time at No. 1 among holiday songs. The only other seasonal single to jingle to the apex, “The Chipmunk Song,” by David Seville & the Chipmunks, spent four weeks on top beginning in December 1958.

Carey’s record 85th week atop Hot 100: With “Christmas,” Carey claims her record-extending 85th week at No. 1 on the Hot 100, dating to the chart’s Aug. 4, 1958, inception.

Most Weeks at No. 1 on Hot 100
      85, Mariah Carey
      60, Rihanna
      59, The Beatles
      52, Drake
      50, Boyz II Men
      47, Usher
      41, Beyoncé
      37, Michael Jackson
      34, Elton John
      34, Bruno Mars

“Christmas” became Carey’s 19th Hot 100 No. 1, the most among soloists and one away from The Beatles’ overall record 20. It also made Carey the first artist to have ranked at No. 1 on the chart in four distinct decades, dating to her first week on top with her debut single, “Vision of Love,” in 1990.

Further, “Christmas” is Carey’s record fifth Hot 100 No. 1 to rule for six weeks or more. She one-ups Boyz II Men, Drake and Usher, each with four such leaders.

Plus, it’s not only fitting that “Christmas” leads the Hot 100 dated Dec. 25, 2021, but Carey is the only artist to top the chart on multiple rankings dated Dec. 25: her “Hero” began a four-week stay at No. 1 on the Dec. 25, 1993, Hot 100. (This week’s chart is the 10th dated Dec. 25 in the list’s history.)
      Queen sh#t

Sneaking in a swig of Black Irish at work because *it’s a/special o-cassion*

Comment

• Originally posted by allygdale View Post

Queen sh#t

Sneaking in a swig of Black Irish at work for because *it’s a/special o-cassion*
        ... MIMI's charts domination.
        My Chart

Comment

• Germany and Norway leading the way. Global smash!

Comment

• Mariah should re-release ILT with the amended lyrics that allygdale and I suggested. party. I'm now officially drunk.
            My Chart

Comment

• Billboard released earlier.....perhaps it was a sign of things to come.

Comment

• My queen is the MF queen hands down.....we stan LEGENDARY ICONIC and nothing else Mariah Carey always and forever !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• OOoh this is a record we didn't see coming. If she can hold off Brenda next week she can get the record!

Comment

• Yesssss!!!

Also, 85 weeks in total at #1 is actually INSAAANE!
                    To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• You win some, you loose some.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
                        Yesssss!!!

Also, 85 weeks in total at #1 is actually INSAAANE!
                        indeed. Let's recap:

16 weeks - 1996 - One Sweet Day
                        14 weeks - 2005 - We Belong Together
                        8 weeks - 1995 - Fantasy
                        8 weeks - 1993 - Dreamlover
                        6 weeks - 2021 - All I want for Christmas Is You
                        4 weeks - 1994 - Hero
                        4 weeks - 1990 - Vision of Love
                        3 weeks - 1997 - Honey
                        3 weeks - 1991 - Emotions
                        3 weeks - 1990 - Love Takes Time
                        2 weeks - 2008 - Touch my body
                        2 weeks - 2005 - Don't Forget About Us
                        2 weeks - 1999 - Heartbreaker
                        2 weeks - 1996 - Always be my Baby
                        2 weeks - 1992 - I'll Be There
                        2 weeks - 1991 - I don't Wanna Cry
                        2 weeks - 1991 - Someday
                        1 week - 2000 - Thank God U Found You
                        1 week - 1998 - My All

special distinctions:

Diamond - 2021 - All I want for Christmas Is You
                        Song of the Decade - 2005 - We Belong Together
                        Song of the Decade - 1995 - One Sweet Day

My Chart

Comment

• More weeks at #1 than Michael Jackson and Beyonce COMBINED. Let that sink for a little bit!

Comment

• 85 weeks at No 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

indeed. Let's recap:

8 weeks - 1995 - Fantasy
                              4 weeks - 1994 - Hero
                              3 weeks - 1997 - Honey
                              2 weeks - 1991 - Someday
                              1 week - 1998 - My All

special distinctions:

TF! My all only one week number 1... should have been 20 weeks tbh

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

indeed. Let's recap:

8 weeks - 1995 - Fantasy
                                4 weeks - 1994 - Hero
                                3 weeks - 1997 - Honey
                                2 weeks - 1991 - Someday
                                1 week - 1998 - My All

special distinctions:

the 90's SOTD situation was kinda fishy, but OSD was actually #9 on that Decade-end chart.

Comment

• Comment

• Artists with 10+ week singles. She could equal the boys with 4 more weeks.

Boyz II Men = 3 (End of the Road, I'll Make Love To You, One Sweet Day)
                                    Drake = 3 (One Dance, God's Plan, In My Feelings)
                                    Black Eyed Peas = 2 (Boom Boom Pow, I Gotta Feeling)
                                    Santana = 2 (Smooth, Mariah Maria)
                                    Mariah Carey = 2 (One Sweet Day, We Belong Together)

Adele likely to join Mariah as a female after Christmas if EOM can remain for another 3 weeks.

Originally posted by stevyy View Post

indeed. Let's recap:

8 weeks - 1995 - Fantasy
                                    4 weeks - 1994 - Hero
                                    3 weeks - 1997 - Honey
                                    2 weeks - 1991 - Someday
                                    1 week - 1998 - My All

special distinctions:

Comment

• Comment

• Thank God its #1. I was starting to worry about the mental health of some people here!

Honestly, who could achieve this but Mariah? Even more legendary than Jesus!!!

Comment

• Hahaha it’s so good how every year she has a number 1 again… even if it is the same 27 year old song.

Hope she’s celebrating!!
                                          To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• I will never get tired of it esp. That we still have two goals for this song:

1. Longest running number one song
                                            2. Hot 100 GOAT Song no. 1
                                            A place in time still belongs to us...

Comment

• I'm happy but I already knew it LOL, it was obvious.

She will also stay the next week at #1.

Congrats Queen

(I'm on a travel work rn but I will read all the pages at night! )

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
                                                Time to party indeed....Love Takes Time kinda hits hard!

OMG - who is this person??? Did they do these 80's remixes themselves? Where can I get them - they SLAM!!! Their twitter account has so many amazing remix snippets!!!

Comment

• It's insane to think Mariah is going to be scoring a #1 annually even after we're all dead lol

Undying legendary sh!t

Comment

• Regardless of the fact AIWFCIY is 27 years old and has already been number one, there is still something so chilling and exciting to see Mariah at the top of the Hot 100 at #1. It again sort of feels like vindication but also the icing on top of one of the most legendary careers of the last 30 + years. Congrats Mimi!!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X