Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariah would sound so good on Weeknd’s Out Of Time, pls make it happen

Comment

• I expect a reverse in 4-5 years it would be historic if Lil Nas X return the torch to Mariah.

https://twitter.com/mariahcarey/stat...043261954?s=21
      Mariah Carey- The Queen of Queens And The Goddess of Goddesses

Comment

• Originally posted by hotMCfan View Post
        Spinning the Emotions album. It deserved so much more than Music Box tbh
        I sometimes wonder... what if Unplugged and I'll Be There hadn't happened...
        What would have been the fourth single? And You Don't Remember? If It's Over? You're So Cold?
        And maybe we would even be given a fifth single.
        Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post
          The Annual UKMIX Favourite Members Votes are due soon. Voting details here:
          https://www.ukmix.org/forum/ukmix/fr...n#post10799111
          I voted. Of course I included some lambs.
          Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

What would have been the fourth single? And You Don't Remember? If It's Over? You're So Cold?
            I have no doubts it would have been If Itīs Over. Thatīs why she included it on her MTV Umplugged, she even performed it at Grammys. Iīll Be There impact and success was a pleasant surprise for Sony, they didnīt have plan to release the EP in the first place and finished the whole Emotions era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juancito75 View Post

I have no doubts it would have been If Itīs Over. Thatīs why she included it on her MTV Umplugged, she even performed it at Grammys. Iīll Be There impact and success was a pleasant surprise for Sony, they didnīt have plan to release the EP in the first place and finished the whole Emotions era.
              And You Don't Remember was used in the promo for the MiniDisc.
              You're So Cold was originally planned to be the first single.
              So I think those two would have made a chance for the single treatment as well.

Comment

• It's so funny how often she says: "This is one of my favorite songs on the album."

Comment

• Originally posted by Milano View Post

All these in one sitting?? Add AYNAF and she dies.
                  LOL how could I forget AYNAF! through in Petals & Portrait too
                  #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post

I have thought about that too, but I'm not too sure that would have really helped the album much.

If It's Over got a lot of air time - SNL, Grammys, Unplugged etc.
                    I don't know if it was pushed to radio, but could have/should have, but it did promote the album a bit as it was.

Emotions did ok... not terribly. But I feel like Unplugged accomplished more for Mariah in terms of credibility and success than another single from Emotions would have.

Just think - a small greatest hits package from Mariah after her first two albums sold 3 million copies in the US, and launched another #1 single.

The other scenario would have been that I'll Be There would have been released only and not the album, maybe helping drive sales of her first two. But that's in the past now.
                    MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• MTV Unplugged was detrimental in her rise to legendary status.

SONY was clever do make her take part in such a legendary format (probably the most legendary live concert series that ever was).

The number of MTV Unpplugged concerts (airing on MTV, VHS release, CD release, single release) is very small and Mariah really took the format on and succeeded in it - and at the time it was VERY male dominated.

Many acts do have live albums, but MTV Unplugged is the ultimate live setting for performers.

The album also catapulted her global superstar status (according to Wikipedia) and in fact it did become her biggest selling release in Europe at the time.

It was super smart of SONY to choose that platform for her. Before her... only Sinead O'Connor had done it, Mariah was the only 2nd woman to do it.

What a trail blazer.

Among all Unplugged albums being released (and not all performed concerts got that treatment), Mariah's is one of the top selling one.

3 million in the US is huge.
                      6,5 - 7 million globally is absolutely insane.

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the release and Mariah / Sony should really celebrate that. In a perfect world, they would have her do a 2nd concert and re-release the album as a two-disc set.

MTV Unplugged albums are also collectors items nowadays. So maybe, there would be an audience for one of the Original acts from that format.
                      My Chart

Comment

• MTV Unplugged should have - much like Emotions - won a few Grammys. It's insane how her male counterparts collect all kinds of accolades for their releases while Mariah was once again ignored, despite getting the commercial and cultural impact with this one right.

Hip current acts would sweep the entire main categories today if they'd dare to perform an Unplugged concert.
                        My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                          MTV Unplugged was detrimental in her rise to legendary status.

SONY was clever do make her take part in such a legendary format (probably the most legendary live concert series that ever was).
                          Yes, agree.

But I think you misused detrimental here

Looking at the Chart Thread I was reflecting on how well Unplugged did commercially. 3 million in the US is so good.

I used to be surprised that I'll Be There had sold relatively so little (still, half a million at the time is very good) - but then you realise that it drove a lot of sales for the album instead. Side note - can't understand I'll Be There not being certified.

I'm sure it was available in Clubs as well and may have benefitted from Music Box - I got mine that way but I'm not from the US.

MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post

Yes, agree.

But I think you misused detrimental here

oh lord. I meant instrumental / essential. blimey me. ;))
                            My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by Milano View Post
                              All these in one sitting?? Add AYNAF and she dies.

Originally posted by hotMCfan View Post
                              Spinning the Emotions album. It deserved so much more than Music Box tbh
                              Of course.

Emotions is way better and also more Mariah.

Comment

• Originally posted by MimiCici View Post
                                I expect a reverse in 4-5 years it would be historic if Lil Nas X return the torch to Mariah.

https://twitter.com/mariahcarey/stat...043261954?s=21
                                This was an amazing gesture from her!

And I'm happy that she held that record for so long, and she (they) did that without streaming.

But I don't want to put all that pressure into one song.

Anyway, she has other bigger records

Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                MTV Unplugged was detrimental in her rise to legendary status.

The number of MTV Unpplugged concerts (airing on MTV, VHS release, CD release, single release) is very small and Mariah really took the format on and succeeded in it - and at the time it was VERY male dominated.

Many acts do have live albums, but MTV Unplugged is the ultimate live setting for performers.

The album also catapulted her global superstar status (according to Wikipedia) and in fact it did become her biggest selling release in Europe at the time.

It was super smart of SONY to choose that platform for her. Before her... only Sinead O'Connor had done it, Mariah was the only 2nd woman to do it.
                                I agree with everything dahling! Stating facts

Comment

• She's always present in some record, LOL.

Adele with 3 tho!

Comment

• Talking about Emotions singles, can't believe To Be Around You didn't receive single treatment!

BOP!!!

Comment

• Oh, look, MIAM filters making an appearance here

Mariah Carey Reveals Which Song Of Hers Took The LONGEST To Write!

Comment

• CBTourRiah sounding like RainbowRiah

She was probably nervous 'cause this was the first date from the CBWT, tho she played safe during the first couple of shows, and then boom, her voice reached a new peak.

[RARE NEW SOURCE] Vision of Love - Mariah Carey (live at Seoul)

Comment

• A great seller.

Comment

• I really love it! It's very funny
                                            fan base only & one 4 Mariah Carey is on Everything about Mariah Carey Infos
                                            http://mariahcareyinfos.forumactif.com/forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                              Oh, look, MIAM filters making an appearance here

Mariah Carey Reveals Which Song Of Hers Took The LONGEST To Write!

We Can Say miam or miamtec? What's better ?
                                              fan base only & one 4 Mariah Carey is on Everything about Mariah Carey Infos
                                              http://mariahcareyinfos.forumactif.com/forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                                Talking about Emotions singles, can't believe To Be Around You didn't receive single treatment!

BOP!!!
                                                I love the acapella version that was released on VHS at the time. (Unplugged+ VHS, I believe)

The "more and more and more" line was used here as a jingle on our #1 radio station at the time.
                                                As it was the b-side to Can't Let Go, I was hoping radio here would give it a push, just like they had done with Sent From Up Above. (which was the b-side to Love Takes Time, but got more airplay)

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post

I have thought about that too, but I'm not too sure that would have really helped the album much.

If It's Over got a lot of air time - SNL, Grammys, Unplugged etc.
                                                  I don't know if it was pushed to radio, but could have/should have, but it did promote the album a bit as it was.

Emotions did ok... not terribly. But I feel like Unplugged accomplished more for Mariah in terms of credibility and success than another single from Emotions would have.

Just think - a small greatest hits package from Mariah after her first two albums sold 3 million copies in the US, and launched another #1 single.

The other scenario would have been that I'll Be There would have been released only and not the album, maybe helping drive sales of her first two. But that's in the past now.
                                                  I'm very grateful for Unplugged. Best thing that could have happened at the time. Lots of people were questioning if she could pull off a live show. It's still one of my favorite Mariah "concerts".
                                                  Here in the Netherlands, it gave her her first #1 single and album.
                                                  Also, here in the Netherlands, it sold even better than Emotions and the debut. It was #1 for three weeks and stayed on the album chart for an incredible 116 weeks, going platinum twice. Most of my friends bought it. It had most of her singles, plus the new single that was #1 and it was a lot cheaper than her other albums as it was "just" an EP.
                                                  She got a lot of respect for Unplugged and it really paved the way to make Music Box an even bigger success than her first albums.

If It's Over is one of my favorite Mariah songs, but it's probably one of the least commercial songs on the album. It was released as a single here. But even with Unplugged at #1 and just been at #1 with I'll Be There, If It's Over didn't even make the Top 40. (I do have to say, that even for the fans it wasn't really interesting to buy as it had no remixes, no special b-side and even the cover sleeve was boring as it was almost the same as the Unplugged cover). Had she released AYDR, SB, YSC or TBAY it would probably have at least made the top 40. (They could have given YSC or TBAY remixes, made a "real" video for one of those songs, go for a better cover sleeve and maybe even add a special b-side.)

I'm also grateful Unplugged gave us her first released cover. At the time she didn't want to record covers as she wanted to be appreciated for being a songwriter. I'll Be There going to #1 probably made her realise how much we also love to hear her sing covers now and again. Without I'll Be There being the success it was, I don't think she would have recorded Without You for Music Box.

So although I do wonder sometimes how the Emotions era would have developed without Unplugged cutting it off, I am very happy Unplugged happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by IrresistibleCharms View Post

We Can Say miam or miamtec? What's better ?
                                                    MIAMI TECH

Comment

Working...
                                                    X