Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Juancito75 View Post
    I remember being a huge fan already, but I was never into ABMB. It's nice there's tastes for everyone.
    Wow, I thought everyone loved ABMB - since even non-fans go crazy and sing-along whenever the song is played!

What's your fave track on the album?!

Comment

He's top 1 for me. My favorite by far.
      Yes! He's the IMO.
      I love how he got totally hooked with the first performance he reacted of MC.
      Btw, I miss those long ass video reactions he used to do live with like 4 performances and ALL the details

Comment

• This thread (and al MC ones) is af.

Meanwhile, she's still on Hot 100 for a couple of more hours

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
          This thread (and al MC ones) is af.

We're just recovering from all the recent slayage!!
          Thanks for keeping things somewhat moving
          I can't even know what to say...

Comment

• Originally posted by Milano View Post
            We're just recovering from all the recent slayage!!
            Thanks for keeping things somewhat moving
            Haha, well played
            Well, it's summer here, it's hot af, and I have 21 free days, so I'm gonna keep y'all updated (if I'm not going somewhere these vacations, but due COVID and the new variant, ugh, I don't think I should, but we'll see).
            But at least this week I'll try to keep this ish kinda less dead

Comment

This thread (and al MC ones) is af.

Look at my user name, i’m already out. See you next year!

jk!! I check this forum almost every day.

Comment

Haha, well played
                Well, it's summer here, it's hot af, and I have 21 free days, so I'm gonna keep y'all updated (if I'm not going somewhere these vacations, but due COVID and the new variant, ugh, I don't think I should, but we'll see).
                But at least this week I'll try to keep this ish kinda less dead
                Ha! That was me the past few weeks.
                On hols... didn't really go anywhere - just chilled at home and saw some people. Ergo - posted a lot here.

Now I'm back at work...
                MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• These performances are so underrated!

In her Top 25 best performances EVER.

Mariah Carey - Emotions (4K, Soul Train)

Her chest voice was on fire.
                  Plus the agility

Forget the whistles, Emotions (song) is so hard even without them. And she made it look so easy.

Mariah Carey - Can't let go (4K, Soul Train)

And ofc this was perfection.

---

Emotions Era was kinda "short" but I love the fact that we have lots of live performances from that time.
                  She was performing everywhere and delivered some of her most amazing vocals EVER (IIO at SNL, at Scammy's, Vanishing Rehearsal, basically every CLG & Emotions rendition, and also Hark! at GMA which is very underrated).

Comment

• Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post
                    Look at my user name, i’m already out. See you next year!
                    More like this year in 9.5 months or so

Comment

• Originally posted by InfoFromAus View Post
                      Ha! That was me the past few weeks.
                      On hols... didn't really go anywhere - just chilled at home and saw some people. Ergo - posted a lot here.

Now I'm back at work...
                      What a crazy World we're living in!
                      I also spent Xmas & New Year with my family (reduced group, we took lots of care here) and the people who I was going to vacation with, 3 of dem are COVID-positive (but they're ok, they have the two doses, so no severe symptoms, but still!).
                      Meanwhile, I'm spending all these days closed with the air conditioning right in my face, or I have to go somewhere alone, LOL. It is what it is.

Comment

These performances are so underrated!

In her Top 25 best performances EVER.
                        I’d love to know the rest of your top 25
                        funny how one can learn
                        to grow numb to the madness
                        and block it away

Comment

• Mariah Carey - Vision Of Love (Live At The Music Box Tour, 1993, NYC)

Ok, but this is slowly becoming my favorite live VOL performance EVER, like Top 5 for sure.

I'd rank them like this:

1. VOL at Sydney '98 BWT
                          2. Costa Mesa/Zurich '03 CBWT
                          3. MSG Undubbed '95 (both takes)
                          4. NYC '93 MBT
                          5. GMA '90

Honorable Mentions:

6. SNL '90
                          7. NARM '90
                          8. Arsenio Hall Show '90 (the 2nd performance of the song, the one with the red dress)
                          9. Paris '03 CBWT
                          10. Rotterdam '96 DDWT

*The Top 5 and the Honorable Mentions in no particular order btw, they change everytime, LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by LambChild View Post
                            I’d love to know the rest of your top 25
                            Ok, gimme some time and I'm gonna do the list.

That's gonna be quite hard!

Comment

Mariah Carey - Vision Of Love (Live At The Music Box Tour, 1993, NYC)

Ok, but this is slowly becoming my favorite live VOL performance EVER, like Top 5 for sure.

I'd rank them like this:

1. VOL at Sydney '98 BWT
                              2. Costa Mesa/Zurich '03 CBWT
                              3. MSG Undubbed '95 (both takes)
                              4. NYC '93 MBT
                              5. GMA '90

Omg, finally someone else who agrees that Zurich performance is top notch!! From the first time I saw it on youtube ages ago, I was in love. There is just something magical in that performance. It might just be my bias for Charmbracelet showing.

Comment

I remember being a huge fan already, but I was never into ABMB. It's nice there's tastes for everyone.
                                Was not into ABMB when I first heard it too (back when I wasn't a fan yet lol). I thought it was way too different than her usual stuff, since I hardly heard about Emotions, Dreamlover or Fantasy back in the day.

But ofcourse, now it's one of her classics and an all-time crowd staple in her concerts.

Comment

• Honestly, ABMB doesn't rank in my top 25 MC songs either. (It's better live).

One song which I didn't like initially, but cannot live without anymore is actually Vision of Love. It's actually just awesome and magical.
                                  My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                    Honestly, ABMB doesn't rank in my top 25 MC songs either. (It's better live).

One song which I didn't like initially, but cannot live without anymore is actually Vision of Love. It's actually just awesome and magical.
                                    HA! Back then in 1990, I was starting to listen radio and checked every top songs radio show in pop/soft rock format. In those days, I was obsessed with the first and so far only music album of a local (truly lol, even as she究 famous in several LATAM countries but as an actress) artists in my country, I even overcame my shyness calling several times a day to request every single she released. I still remember how effusively they spoke on Mariah, maybe because she has venezuelan roots and every DJ was hyping her, saying how talented and great she was. As my then favorite artist released her 4 singles from oct 90 till July/August 91, I皂 pretty sure I heard Mariah a lot, but didn系 become a fan until Emotions came out. It究 kind of funny now all 4 singles from her debut are among my most beloved singles from Mariah, but it wasn系 love at first sight.

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post
                                      Honestly, ABMB doesn't rank in my top 25 MC songs either. (It's better live).

Wow this is an incredible revelation that is bold to admit.

ABMB is perhaps one of her most timeless records. The lyrics, productions, vocals, everything about it is incredible

See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• ABMB is in her top 10 for sure but it wasn’t one of my favorites either at first

Comment

HA! Back then in 1990, I was starting to listen radio and checked every top songs radio show in pop/soft rock format. In those days, I was obsessed with the first and so far only music album of a local (truly lol, even as she究 famous in several LATAM countries but as an actress) artists in my country, I even overcame my shyness calling several times a day to request every single she released. I still remember how effusively they spoke on Mariah, maybe because she has venezuelan roots and every DJ was hyping her, saying how talented and great she was. As my then favorite artist released her 4 singles from oct 90 till July/August 91, I皂 pretty sure I heard Mariah a lot, but didn系 become a fan until Emotions came out. It究 kind of funny now all 4 singles from her debut are among my most beloved singles from Mariah, but it wasn系 love at first sight.
                                          amazing.

I love how Emotions, despite being such a small album, has become a Fan favourite and staple. That tiny tiny tiny little album... which was completely and utterfly overshadowed by her debut... is one of the greatest collections of songs ever released by anyone... It also earned her a Grammy nomination for producer of the year (unheard of for a woman). (Janet also got that nomination at one point in her career tho).

The ballads on Emotions are regal and ethereal. Till the end of time might just be... one of the greatest most unknown songs ever made by anyone. It's wrist slitting haunting. The production on the song is EVERYTHING. Her delivery, her vocals... it's out of this world, alien to earth and human kind... just... above everything. And to close it with the wind is just... so pure, I can't.

A few years ago... one British lamb was murdered...(I believe it was a shooting or terror attack... maybe even the Ari concert attack or sth) and his friends or so held a memorial for him and one of his friends (I believe) sang Till the end of time... and I completely lost myself in that... the most fitting song for such a beautiful young soul to send him off to heaven. I can't.
                                          My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

Wow this is an incredible revelation that is bold to admit.

ABMB is perhaps one of her most timeless records. The lyrics, productions, vocals, everything about it is incredible
                                            I'm confident in my taste. <3

It goes to show that she has far too many great songs... and that some great ones get relegated to the outer regions of her great work. It's still flawfree.
                                            My Chart

Comment

Wow, I thought everyone loved ABMB - since even non-fans go crazy and sing-along whenever the song is played!

Originally posted by Shaka View Post

Exactly, I remember being an apprentice in 1995 and my tutor/boss and I interestingly kind of bonded through music, We always listened a radio show and DJ was showcasing the album the whole week, he immediately fell in love with ABMB but I found it repetitive and corny, I particularly hated the catchy and universally loved "do do doop" intro (I still do, lol). My favorites when I first heard the whole thing were Forever and When I Saw You, both were the most beautiful and magical tracks I扉e heard at that point (as I said before there are tastes for everyone, how I found ABMB corny but loved those tracks can be perceived as shocking or impossible to some). I kind of liked Long Ago as well as the music sounded misterious but captivating at the same time. Currently, Fantasy, Looking In and Daydream Interlude are my favs from Daydream.
                                              ​​​​​

Comment

• I never got why ABMB was such a hit, I find it a really average track in her discography. I have the same feeling about Dreamlover.
                                                Eudaimonia
                                                Last.fm
                                                Instagram

Comment

• For me, while ABMB doesn’t rank as her #1, I have no problem saying it’s probably the most Mariah Carey song to exist.

It’s the perfect balance of pop and r&b and the perfect balance of bop and ballad. It has all the makings of being signature Mariah Carey—insanely melodic, incredible background vocals, awesome key change. Pretty simple message and story being told but with lyrical wit only Mariah can do with the many syllables in each line. Only thing probably maybe missing would be whistles. It’s also so easy to sing along to and even with its 90 sound still sounds fresh to me.

The video is so nostalgic and pretty instantly recognizable with the tire swing… it’s not anything groundbreaking but the storyline is something everyone can relate to with a childhood crush.

Can y’all tell I’m a ABMB stan?
                                                  funny how one can learn
                                                  to grow numb to the madness
                                                  and block it away

Comment

• ABMB’s intro makes me melt every time

I can’t fathom not being totally captivated by it!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X