Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mariah Carey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Kaloki View Post
    Lyrically Side Effects is amazing, but the rest of it I'm not a fan of. I always thought it sounded a bit too busy, needed stripped back a bit.... Like pretty much all of E=MC2
    Just now realising that Mariah rarely went the stripped back version of songs when she remixed them. Most times she went the dance or hip hop route when she rejigged them
    See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
    See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

    Comment


    • "Dreamlover" is the archetype for her series of classic Mariah lead singles including "Fantasy," "Honey," and "Heartbreaker." Do not come for her.

      When I was younger, my favorite possession was my CD alarm clock because I could set it to play "Dreamlover" every morning to wake me up. Waking up to those whistles...heaven.

      The lyrics are perfect. The melody is perfect. The vocals are perfect. The song is perfect.
      You donít have to be afraid of what you are!

      Comment


      • Dreamlover wasn't always my favourite lead single but my god I’d give anything for her to release a single of this standard today. It’s an absolute classic and her first subtle hybrid of pure pop and R&B. It’s aged extremely well too.

        I LOVED those years <3
        To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

        Comment


        • I made up my Spotify playlist. Is it really complete?

          Spotify – The Complete Collection

          Comment




          • This remix was always the superior version of the song. Not only because of Busta's rap but because the instrumentation's subtle changes. Its a shame it was not included on MC30 since it is official.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by WaitYourTurn View Post
              I think I’m in the minority that doesn’t like Side Effects and it’s down to the production. That repetitive synth sound before each chorus is too much for me and takes away from the sound
              I agree with you about the production, even though i still like Side Effects i do not play it much.
              I was discussing this a few days ago, about some songs on E=MC2 sounding a lil dated. Some parts sound like they belong to Mario Bros in stage 4 when he’s fighting a boss

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Shaka View Post


                Nice!!! Beautiful cover.

                Comment


                • I’m beyond excited for new music this year. I enjoyed Breaking My Heart and Fall In Love … so much last year!

                  I do not care if it sounds like a Caution leftover, Mariah. Cause that album was IT.

                  Comment


                  • I never listen to Dreamlover.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by allygdale View Post
                      The adlibs on “Side Effects” are a total slay, vibrato heaven, I live for “said I STILL wake up, CRY-YIN,” the way she sings “crying” gives me goosebumps

                      And the fact that it has such a stellar middle 8, like the good ole days! I love the rap but it didn’t even need it
                      Yep, I love it.
                      Dem harmonies with Crystal at the end are amazing btw.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                        Side Effects is one of those tracks that is lyrically easier to follow and easier to connect with because it's a feeling/experience a lot of people have (sadly). Reminds me a bit of Breakdown and The One in that way.
                        Exactly.
                        Sonically, very different, but lyrics are so damn relatable.
                        I guess most of us went through sh1t like this at some point - and not necessarily with a lover.

                        I appreciate the fact that she performed it live at least once. It was great and special for me.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by divingmuffin View Post
                          "Dreamlover" is the archetype for her series of classic Mariah lead singles including "Fantasy," "Honey," and "Heartbreaker." Do not come for her.
                          I agree.

                          Hard to think on disliking/hating Dreamlover and loving Fantasy or Heartbreaker.



                          P.S. also the opening C7 whistle is one of her most gorgeous ever in terms of tone, it literally sounds like heaven.

                          Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
                          Dreamlover wasn't always my favourite lead single but my god I’d give anything for her to release a single of this standard today. It’s an absolute classic and her first subtle hybrid of pure pop and R&B. It’s aged extremely well too.
                          I agree.
                          I always thought #B had that same type of clascic-ness feel to it.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by GlenMarley View Post


                            This remix was always the superior version of the song. Not only because of Busta's rap but because the instrumentation's subtle changes. Its a shame it was not included on MC30 since it is official.
                            I enjoy both versions.

                            But it would've been nice to have the Busta Remix as part of MC30.

                            ---

                            Btw, I like this mix.

                            Comment


                            • [QUOTE=Shaka;n10803271]

                              I agree.

                              Hard to think on disliking/hating Dreamlover and loving Fantasy or Heartbreaker.
                              [ /QUOTE=Shaka;n10803271]

                              Really? Why? I love Heartbreaker and Fantasy, but i do not listen to Dreamlover. I don’t hate Dreamlover, i think it’s a nice song, but I don’t feel it. It’s not so hard to understand buddy. Different taste my friend
                              Last edited by ChristmasJedi; Thu January 13, 2022, 14:49.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by bm08 View Post
                                Just now realising that Mariah rarely went the stripped back version of songs when she remixed them. Most times she went the dance or hip hop route when she rejigged them
                                Yeah, and I'm glad she went that route 'cause she elevated the originals IMO.
                                Hip-Hop runs in her veins and the vocals on her dance mixes are absolutely insane. Her urban mixes are IT. She also went gospel-ish with some others.
                                But I would have liked more acoustic remixes as well (like she did with Unforgettable) or even other genres, as Bossa Nova for example (like she did with that Butterfly Mix - tho it wasn't re-sung).

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by GlenMarley View Post
                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B969ZHUedv8
                                  This remix was always the superior version of the song. Not only because of Busta's rap but because the instrumentation's subtle changes. Its a shame it was not included on MC30 since it is official.
                                  Mariah has mentioned several times she is still working to get some stuff cleared - legally I suppose.

                                  I dont understand all the rules of the game as it seems counterintuitive to not make products more widely available to garner streams/sales etc.

                                  Oh well.
                                  See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                  See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

                                  Comment


                                  • Comment


                                    • Part of me wishes Mariah would just release Caution, that album deserves to be certified, the way it was slept on is a true shame. Same for MIAM, at least regarding Faded, that song deserved the single treatment and at least one performance!

                                      Comment


                                      • Imo the lyrics, melody, and production of Side Effects are great. I just don’t know if they come together correctly. It is a full-fledged 08 club banger perfectly paired with the Jeezy feature. The subject matter is like anti-club or party though.
                                        funny how one can learn
                                        to grow numb to the madness
                                        and block it away

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by RicanMC19 View Post
                                          Part of me wishes Mariah would just release Caution, that album deserves to be certified, the way it was slept on is a true shame. Same for MIAM, at least regarding Faded, that song deserved the single treatment and at least one performance!
                                          I guess the only chance we’ve got is to hope for it to become viral , like many other artists are doing now when their old songs go viral on TikTok, like Meghan Trainor with Title, or Madonna with Frozen (though this one had a fabulous single treatment back then)

                                          Comment


                                          • Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post

                                            Nice!!! Beautiful cover.
                                            Agreed! I like the fact that they used more of Mariah's natural curly hair as inspiration.

                                            See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                            See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

                                            Comment


                                            • Originally posted by LambChild View Post
                                              Imo the lyrics, melody, and production of Side Effects are great. I just don’t know if they come together correctly. It is a full-fledged 08 club banger perfectly paired with the Jeezy feature. The subject matter is like anti-club or party though.
                                              Hmmm...I wouldnt say its a club banger tbh. I guess it is because of the lyrics like you mention.

                                              I do think the song could be remixed, but it still could work in 2021 IMO.
                                              See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                              See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

                                              Comment


                                              • Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post

                                                I guess the only chance we’ve got is to hope for it to become viral , like many other artists are doing now when their old songs go viral on TikTok, like Meghan Trainor with Title, or Madonna with Frozen (though this one had a fabulous single treatment back then)
                                                That's what I'm waiting for, someone needs to use Caution (title track) or The Distance for a viral moment. Something basic like 'Dating during the pandemic' and then play the chorus of Caution or something, idk. Mama just needs all her studio albums certified, I hate that they're not.

                                                Comment


                                                • Originally posted by bm08 View Post

                                                  Agreed! I like the fact that they used more of Mariah's natural curly hair as inspiration.
                                                  It’s more her as a child in comparison with All i want for Christmas is you movie where little Mariah was more like a version of Rainbow Mariah, but as a child. I love both though, bit this new one is the cutest

                                                  Comment


                                                  • Originally posted by RicanMC19 View Post

                                                    That's what I'm waiting for, someone needs to use Caution (title track) or The Distance for a viral moment. Something basic like 'Dating during the pandemic' and then play the chorus of Caution or something, idk. Mama just needs all her studio albums certified, I hate that they're not.
                                                    Agreed! Though we have to accept that if this happened, all Mariah would do is to upload a short vid of her singing along and that would be it

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X