Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudioRiah come thru!

---

Mariah Carey on being the only Songwriter in The Vocal Trinity & albums ‘flopping’

Don't remember hearing this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by mm2912 View Post
      amazon exclusive singles do pretty well because of alexa. Ellie Goulding got a #1 at UK on xmas with a amazon exclusive despite no one really knew the song and even blocked AIW. but if she close a deal with amazon I hope it's just for the docu-series and leave the album alone

But let's not act as though these companies playlist her new music highly anyways tbh.
      See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
      See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
        I mean, the 4th single before the MTV Unplugged.
        IMO TBAY would've been a way better single than MIH.... that should've been the third one, and then done if they felt like it.

I see Unplugged as a separate entity - and I think the GP as well at that moment.
        It did nothing for Emotions (album) and even give her a new #1.

It was like they moved on to her next project.
        And did amazing.
        No way she should have skipped Make It Happen as a single. It may "only" have gotten to #5, but just think how iconic this song is and what it means to Mariah. Had it just been an album track, it would probably have been overlooked for the rest of her carreer.

A 4th single before Unplugged was almost impossible. MIH was released on 4 April, I'll Be There on 26 May.
        Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Mariah was such a FORCE!

Comment

• Such a great decade. It has 13 of my favorite acts in the Top 25:
            Mariah, Janet, Madonna, Whitney, Celine, Michael Bolton, Toni Braxton, Wilson Phillips, En Vogue, Brandy, Elton John, Paula Abdul, Michael Jackson.
            Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
              A 4th single before Unplugged was almost impossible. MIH was released on 4 April, I'll Be There on 26 May.
              That's why I said it was rushed.

Maybe they could have waited a lil more for Unplugged, pushing a bit more for MIH and then releasing TBAY to milk a bit more from that (short) Era.

I guess they saw Emotions (album) as a flop - given her performance in the BB 200.

Anyway, I'm happy the way things happened, 'cause maybe if the Emotions Era was longer, and Can't Leg Go hit #1, I'll Be There could have not been a #1 hit.

Who knows! It's all fun speculation. We're bored. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                Such a great decade. It has 13 of my favorite acts in the Top 25:
                Mariah, Janet, Madonna, Whitney, Celine, Michael Bolton, Toni Braxton, Wilson Phillips, En Vogue, Brandy, Elton John, Paula Abdul, Michael Jackson.
                I know, the 90s were just

Comment

That's why I said it was rushed.

Maybe they could have waited a lil more for Unplugged, pushing a bit more for MIH and then releasing TBAY to milk a bit more from that (short) Era.

I guess they saw Emotions (album) as a flop - given her performance in the BB 200.

Anyway, I'm happy the way things happened, 'cause maybe if the Emotions Era was longer, and Can't Leg Go hit #1, I'll Be There could have not been a #1 hit.

Who knows! It's all fun speculation. We're bored. LOL.

I don't feel it was rushed. She did Unplugged on 16 March and they didn't release it untill 2 June. People were asking for it to be released. SONY was giving in to the demand from the GP. Interest was already there in April.

Comment

• About the Unplugged release... Mariah said I'll Be There wasn't supposed to be released as a single. the demand was REAL so they decided to release it "last minute". regardless of that, I honestly think that singles-wise the best choices were made during the short lived "Emotions" era but they could've & should've promoted the album better.
                    #mariahcarey #lambforlife

Comment

• I think Emotions was on its way out of the top 30 on the BB 200 after Unplugged started airing... and before the EP/album was released.
                      I think they knew the show wasn't really turning Emotions around much, and as we've read the public response towards the show was so strong that they ended up releasing the EP.

We could speculate, but the debut's singles were predominantly ballads and Emotions lead off with and had as its 3rd single uptempos. That may have been a factor.

But having said that, Emotions seems to have had a better legacy (at least in terms of performances) than the debut. Mariah has continued to perform Emotions and MIH throughout her career, where as she only keeps VOL as a staple from her debut.
                      MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomer_MC View Post
                        About the Unplugged release... Mariah said I'll Be There wasn't supposed to be released as a single. the demand was REAL so they decided to release it "last minute". regardless of that, I honestly think that singles-wise the best choices were made during the short lived "Emotions" era but they could've & should've promoted the album better.
                        The Emotions era was a mess. Mariah had to settle THREE lawsuits of plagirism, one for each single.
                        No wonder they just moved on from that era as soon as possible.
                        " And i think you should take a second just to look at your reflection
                        Baby maybe you're the problem "

Comment

• Originally posted by InFamous View Post

The Emotions era was a mess. Mariah had to settle THREE lawsuits of plagirism, one for each single.
                          No wonder they just moved on from that era as soon as possible.
                          It wasn’t that messy. The lawsuits didn’t come out until after the release of Emotions album.
                          She did so many live performances as well. I wouldn’t call it a mess. The mess was Columbia realizing they didn’t just have a writer and a singer on their hands. They had an female artist that wanted more control of her output. They more money she made for them, she realized she could ask for more and the old farts running the label had to start learning how to deal with such and artist!
                          As always, Mariah was a changing the way the business dealt with their signed artists. The struggle was real then and continued.
                          But, at the time of the release of Emotions and Unplugged, so much was ignored or not spoken about.
                          Mariah was a female artist trying to get more control of her Vision of Love!
                          http://marcokircher.com
                          http://reverbnation.com/marcokircher/songs

My YT Channel!
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/Cashiado
                          IG: marco235

Comment

• King Lesage is back and LIVE!

I missed his long a$$ vids!

Comment

• I don't think it was a mess, like at all.
                              She delivered her greatest vocal performances around that time and she was everywhere, despite the Era being so short.
                              It could've been handled better? Yes, definitely.
                              CLG could've gone #1? Yes, I think so.

I still think it was rushed and they moved on 'cause it underperformed (by her debut standards).

But that gave us the iconic MTV Unplugged - a pivotal moment in her career - and another (live) #1 so I'm not mad at all.
                              Last edited by Shaka; Sun January 16, 2022, 23:13.

Comment

• Y'all gonna make me go listen to the Emotions album again with this conversation!
                                Previously known as sYair

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair
                                www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sebastian View Post
                                  Y'all gonna make me go listen to the Emotions album again with this conversation!
                                  Before Giving Me Life there was the blend of Until the End of Time into The Wind on Emotions album!
                                  http://marcokircher.com
                                  http://reverbnation.com/marcokircher/songs

My YT Channel!
                                  https://www.youtube.com/user/Cashiado
                                  IG: marco235

Comment

• Emotions is a sophomore slump and you just have to deal with it, its time already.

Comment

• Then came Music Box…. End of discussion.

Comment

I don't think it was a mess, like at all.
                                        She delivered her greatest vocal performances around that time and she was everywhere, despite the Era being so short.
                                        It could've been handled better? Yes, definitely.
                                        CLG could've gone #1? Yes, I think so.

I still think it was rushed and they moved on 'cause it underperformed (by her debut standards).

But that gave us the iconic MTV Unplugged - a pivotal moment in her career - and another (live) #1 so I'm not mad at all.
                                        To say she was every during Emotions isn't really correct, the album was a huge underperformance worldwide, you just need to look at the single peaks around the world to see that and the large drop in sales, it sold less worldwide that the Debut did in the U.S alone

Music Box is where she became a true worldwide star, that's when she was everywhere (metaphorically speaking). I don't remember the Music Box era that well as I was 7 when it came out (we even had Everything Fades Away on our version which was a bonus) but it was a staple in our house and I remember her constantly being on the TV.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post

To say she was every during Emotions isn't really correct, the album was a huge underperformance worldwide, you just need to look at the single peaks around the world to see that and the large drop in sales, it sold less worldwide that the Debut did in the U.S alone
                                          Originally posted by Shaka View Post

Comment

• It was bigger than yalls faves sophomore album so we really don’t care.

Comment

Mariah Carey on being the only Songwriter in The Vocal Trinity & albums ‘flopping’

Grammys are trash. How they gave U2 Song and Album of the year over Mariah was totally demented logic.

Comment

• The Emotions era was over the moment CLG didn't reach #1. Buzz died instantly for Mariah. Tommy was so stupid - who cares if the album sold a few tens of thousands more cos the single wasn't available. Having your first 6 consecutive songs go to #1 would have increased the buzz even more and propelled the next single. And as for MIH - well, the production mix is so sterile and dry...even I changed radio stations whenever it came on (which was rarely), as it was soooo long and monotonous when on the radio. I don't know - I liked listening to Emotions the album at home, but the songs by C&C and her then new collab with Walter were very different to me, compared to the debut (which I loved). I felt like Emotions was a sterile carbon copy with some missing elements (at least, in my teenager's view).

Comment

• Anyone who can say anything bad about the Emotions album is utterly tasteless. It’s one of her best.
                                                  To avoid any upset, please note; anything I post is purely my opinion. If I feel it is a fact, I will state that I feel it is a fact. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ewokguy15 View Post
                                                    Have u read my previous post? I guess not.

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                                    I meant she was everywhere doing live performances.

Thanx ferrero

Comment

Working...
                                                    X