Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sebastian View Post
    Y'all gonna make me go listen to the Emotions album again with this conversation!
    As you should, since a masterpiece.

Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
    Then came Music Box…. End of discussion.
    But we know Emotions is miles better

Originally posted by TheRealest View Post
    It was bigger than yalls faves sophomore album so we really don’t care.
    That's true tho
    Plus it gave us the signature bop that is Emotions (song), regarding the whistle register #iconic

Originally posted by Almond View Post
    The Emotions era was over the moment CLG didn't reach #1. Buzz died instantly for Mariah. Tommy was so stupid - who cares if the album sold a few tens of thousands more cos the single wasn't available. Having your first 6 consecutive songs go to #1 would have increased the buzz even more and propelled the next single. And as for MIH - well, the production mix is so sterile and dry...even I changed radio stations whenever it came on (which was rarely), as it was soooo long and monotonous when on the radio.
    Exactly.
    That was Tommy's or label's (I guess it's the same) fault.

Also I agree about MIH, I still think TBAY should've been the 3rd single with proper promo. It bops harder.

Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
    Anyone who can say anything bad about the Emotions album is utterly tasteless. It’s one of her best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almond View Post
      Grammys are trash. How they gave U2 Song and Album of the year over Mariah was totally demented logic.
      They're the worst.

---

Mariah ATE resonance.

Wait, the whistles!

Comment

• Originally posted by Almond View Post
        The Emotions era was over the moment CLG didn't reach #1. Buzz died instantly for Mariah. Tommy was so stupid - who cares if the album sold a few tens of thousands more cos the single wasn't available. Having your first 6 consecutive songs go to #1 would have increased the buzz even more and propelled the next single. And as for MIH - well, the production mix is so sterile and dry...even I changed radio stations whenever it came on (which was rarely), as it was soooo long and monotonous when on the radio. I don't know - I liked listening to Emotions the album at home, but the songs by C&C and her then new collab with Walter were very different to me, compared to the debut (which I loved). I felt like Emotions was a sterile carbon copy with some missing elements (at least, in my teenager's view).
        Hmm..what do you mean by sterile?

To me the Emotions album has a lot more soul and true to what I think Mariah would have liked her debut album to actually sound like.

Also, is it fair to say Emotions era was over after CLG didnt hit #1? It charted on BB200 for 54 weeks.
        See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I think another thing to keep in mind with the early 90s was that Sony was working Mariah like a horse. She was releasing albums yearly, which obviously meant writing and recording while promoting other eras. That may have meant they moved on to promoting other albums because she had newer material and of course they would want to ensure the newer stuff did well over the former album.

If you take out MTV Unplugged (a "mini era" if you like), Music Box would be the album where there was a bit of a "break" in between true eras so one may see how that one was bound to do better than Emotions.
          See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
          See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• This is the VOL performance from Anaheim, but undubbed.

What do you think?
            I think the first half was good, it got unstable in the second half and the whistles weren't it.

IMO they should've been recorded and released another date (East Rutherford for example) or do a mix of different dates like the Around The World DVD, 'cause she was in better shape vocally during other shows.

Comment

• Comment

• Every Vision of Love performance becomes one of a kind as soon as she is adding whistles and nails the climax.
                My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

Hmm..what do you mean by sterile?

To me the Emotions album has a lot more soul and true to what I think Mariah would have liked her debut album to actually sound like.

Also, is it fair to say Emotions era was over after CLG didnt hit #1? It charted on BB200 for 54 weeks.
                  and 26 weeks... it spend in the top 20. (31 weeks in the top 30). In the US, Emotions was a smash.

When Unplugged was released.. Mimi had her debut album on the chart, Emotions and then Unplugged (simultaneously).

She later repeated that feat with MB, MC and D in 1995, placing 3 albums in the top 200 at the same time.

#1's and Rainbow both charted at the same time in 1999 as well. (and also in 2000).

What a career.
                  My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

and 26 weeks... it spend in the top 20. (31 weeks in the top 30). In the US, Emotions was a smash.

When Unplugged was released.. Mimi had her debut album on the chart, Emotions and then Unplugged (simultaneously).

She later repeated that feat with MB, MC and D in 1995, placing 3 albums in the top 200 at the same time.

#1's and Rainbow both charted at the same time in 1999 as well. (and also in 2000).

What a career.
                    Rainbow was the first time i paid attention to Mariah. I used to listen to a radio programme called “The world chart show” and i was introduced to Heartbreaker. Rainbow was also the first Mariah’s album i bought!

Comment

• Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post

Rainbow was the first time i paid attention to Mariah. I used to listen to a radio programme called “The world chart show” and i was introduced to Heartbreaker. Rainbow was also the first Mariah’s album i bought!
                      I remember that I was sick when Rainbow came out (I had the flu) and I was living in this village with no record store in sight. And since I was dying to get my hands on it, I asked my brother (who is my twin and who went to school that day) if he could pick it up on his way home. He did. I was so happy. That was my little Rainbow story.

I remember that I actively bought (in a store) the following MC albums:

1. (Music Box was a present to me)
                      2. Daydream
                      3. Butterfly
                      4. Emotions / Mariah Carey
                      5. #1's
                      6. Xmas
                      7. Glitter
                      8. GH
                      9. CB
                      10. Remixes
                      11. TEOM
                      12. Einstein

.- Unplugged = amazon
                      .- Rainbow = my brother bought it
                      .- Memoirs = amazon
                      .- Xmas 2 = amazon
                      .- Esstenial / Playlist = amazon
                      .- Elusive = amazon
                      .- Infinity = amazon
                      .- Caution = amazon
                      .- Rarities = amazon

#Iloveamazon
                      My Chart

Comment

What a career.
                        In the streaming era this is way easier to achieve, you can see the Billboard 200 filled with albums charting for 2628492 weeks because of 1 or 2 songs that do good on streaming. So props to Mariah for doing it at times when people had to walk into a store and pick the album themselves. Queen of longevity.
                        Previously known as sYair

Follow me on LastFM: http://www.lastfm.es/user/S-Yair
                        www.instagram.com/sebastiansuaid/

Comment

• I've bought all MC abums in store, even Caution and Merry Christmas Deluxe 20th aniversary edition.
                          The only one I've bought on Amazon was The Rarities because it wasn't sent to any store.
                          Reddit | r/MariahCarey: https://www.reddit.com/r/MariahCarey/
                          Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/leoinavalon
                          Instagram: https://instagram.com/leoavalon/

Comment

• Hey Lambs.... u know what I am missing? A new Mariah Carey Live Performance I can watch over & over & over again ...

I don’t need super highnotes or over the top belting,... just our Queen „telling“ us a story using her rich mid range.

#misshearingyourvoiceQueen

Comment

I remember that I was sick when Rainbow came out (I had the flu) and I was living in this village with no record store in sight. And since I was dying to get my hands on it, I asked my brother (who is my twin and who went to school that day) if he could pick it up on his way home. He did. I was so happy. That was my little Rainbow story.

I remember that I actively bought (in a store) the following MC albums:

1. (Music Box was a present to me)
                              2. Daydream
                              3. Butterfly
                              4. Emotions / Mariah Carey
                              5. #1's
                              6. Xmas
                              7. Glitter
                              8. GH
                              9. CB
                              10. Remixes
                              11. TEOM
                              12. Einstein

.- Unplugged = amazon
                              .- Rainbow = my brother bought it
                              .- Memoirs = amazon
                              .- Xmas 2 = amazon
                              .- Esstenial / Playlist = amazon
                              .- Elusive = amazon
                              .- Infinity = amazon
                              .- Caution = amazon
                              .- Rarities = amazon

#Iloveamazon
                              Nice story! A true lamb i must say! I would have done the same thing! I’m too anxious to wait

Comment

• Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post

Nice story! A true lamb i must say! I would have done the same thing! I’m too anxious to wait
                                I remember buying #1s to Infinity online and the delivery was delayed. I ended up buying another one in store because I couldn't wait. Similar thing happened to MIAM.
                                Reddit | r/MariahCarey: https://www.reddit.com/r/MariahCarey/
                                Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/leoinavalon
                                Instagram: https://instagram.com/leoavalon/

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post

Mariah was such a FORCE!

That's interesting, why isn't Celine or Whitney though higher than TLC. I would've thought they would be higher.

Comment

• I've been out of action but has she just released a new Christmas Princess book?

Why is it being released AFTER Christmas out of all things.

Comment

• Originally posted by leoavalon View Post

I remember buying #1s to Infinity online and the delivery was delayed. I ended up buying another one in store because I couldn't wait. Similar thing happened to MIAM.
                                      just 3 weeks ago, I bought another (5th) copy of Merry Christmas (anniversary Deluxe) bc I wanted it to re-chart in my country... (It didn't tho)... however, buying multiple copies is amazing. I own 6 copies of Caution lol.
                                      My Chart

Comment

Every Vision of Love performance becomes one of a kind as soon as she is adding whistles and nails the climax.
                                        I agree.
                                        She always nails VOL, even at her worst, she manages to slay a bit.
                                        I mean, it's always the highlight and we love 100%liveriah.

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post
                                          I've been out of action but has she just released a new Christmas Princess book?

Why is it being released AFTER Christmas out of all things.
                                          it's being released in October or November, I think. She announced it so early because it's how books are announced.
                                          My Chart

Comment

What a career.
                                            Legend since day 1.

Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post
                                            Rainbow was the time I discovered Mariah "the artist" as well (I knew her by her name and I knew Hero before that but wasn't familiar with her nor even her face) and also Rainbow was the first album I bought, haha. It was so amazing. I still remember the first time I heard CTTA. I was shook. Oh, memories.

I always say this: Rainbow made me a fan, Charmbracelet made me a L4L.

Originally posted by Sebastian View Post
                                            In the streaming era this is way easier to achieve, you can see the Billboard 200 filled with albums charting for 2628492 weeks because of 1 or 2 songs that do good on streaming. So props to Mariah for doing it at times when people had to walk into a store and pick the album themselves. Queen of longevity.
                                            Yeah, and this apply to every pre-streaming and/or digital artist.

I miss the physical Era sometimes when u had to move your ass in order to get your CD
                                            ​​​​​​​

Comment

it's being released in October or November, I think. She announced it so early because it's how books are announced.
                                              Oh so it hasn't been released yet. Ok makes more sense though why announce it on Social Media so soon. Save it for this year's promotion instead?

People are just going to forget about it when there's a whole 9 months to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by butterfly_33 View Post
                                                Hey Lambs.... u know what I am missing? A new Mariah Carey Live Performance I can watch over & over & over again ...

I don’t need super highnotes or over the top belting,... just our Queen „telling“ us a story using her rich mid range.

#misshearingyourvoiceQueen
                                                I know.

She could do something like this and I'd be on Cloud 9.

This was so gorgeous.

Or something like this as well:

I want her to make me cry. I need to feel touched by her voice.

Originally posted by leoavalon View Post
                                                I get that one for free in Musimundo

Comment

just 3 weeks ago, I bought another (5th) copy of Merry Christmas (anniversary Deluxe) bc I wanted it to re-chart in my country... (It didn't tho)... however, buying multiple copies is amazing. I own 6 copies of Caution lol.
                                                  I bought Einstein in December 'cause I lost that one in my last house move.

I'm about to buy another copy of Caution as well, just in case. Oh, and probably Divas Live '98 and also I just saw a UK edition with CTTA, Crybaby & Love Hangover/Heartbreaker Medley from Divas Live 2000. I'm getting that one as well I guess.

Comment

October 25th dahling.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X