Mariah Carey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorthernMonkey View Post
    Anyone who can say anything bad about the Emotions album is utterly tasteless. It’s one of her best.
    is me, I guess...

Comment

• Originally posted by bm08 View Post

Hmm..what do you mean by sterile?

To me the Emotions album has a lot more soul and true to what I think Mariah would have liked her debut album to actually sound like.

Also, is it fair to say Emotions era was over after CLG didnt hit #1? It charted on BB200 for 54 weeks.
      Obviously it's all subjective. To me, the debut has 10/10 vocals and 10/10 songs. And while Emotions had 10/10 vocals again, I felt the songs lacked magic. They were still good songs, but I felt a lot of the Walter songs were "paint by numbers". Eg. So Blessed and AYDR literally merge into one in my memory. CLG and TTEOT were favourites at the time, but ... how do I put it, they seemed "old fashioned" even back in 1991/92, compared to the hotter songs coming out on the radio at the time. Also, I am not a fan of C&C produced songs - I like them but they all had the bright sparkly hard sounding keyboards sound which to me gives the song a "hard jarring clinical" sound. So anyway, maybe it's just that I didn't like the style of music she was aiming for on that album. Similar to Butterfly, which I know all current lambs love, but if you ask the pre-Butterfly lambs, that is when she started losing her original 1990-1996 era fans. Of course, she evolved and rightly so and moved on to captivate different fans, but I am just giving my view as an older fan who experienced the shift in real time.

Also, Emotions was when Mariah started getting backlash for all her whistles. In the debut, it was an amazing shock to hear the whistle sneakily pop out during a song. But when Emotions came out and she whistled in every verse and bridge and then outro, it put a lot of people off (hence I understand why they took out the whistle in the radio edit of CLG, even though that was one of the highlights of CLG for me... and why the whistle barely surfaced during Music Box). I remember Emotions came on the radio in the car and Mariah did the whistles and my older sister (who had never heard the song before) commented with a displeased face "oh, this must be a Mariah song". And the first time I heard Emotions the album, I was kind of surprised how the whistles were so prominent in many songs. So perhaps this contributed to the public perception that she was a studio artist who could maybe squeak a whistle every now and then after trying 100 times in the studio, but couldn't actually do it live regularly during a tour.

Anwyay, just opinion. Am not hating !

Comment

• Originally posted by skylynx View Post

Oh so it hasn't been released yet. Ok makes more sense though why announce it on Social Media so soon. Save it for this year's promotion instead?

People are just going to forget about it when there's a whole 9 months to go.
        I think these early announcements are targeted for book sellers moreso. There are plans for book fairs and stuff which happen in the Spring and summer
        See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
        See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• I think the production on Emotions sounds a bit dated and the live versions of the songs sound a million times better than the album. Like I would never ever listen to the album version of MIH, but love the live performances

Really unpopular opinion alert...... But the album would've done so much better had they picked better songs to promote because If It's Over is just a noisy mess. The most overrated thing Mariah has ever done.

Should have been AYDR or TTEOT instead

Comment

• The Emotions album made me, like my soul. It's gentle like my soul. It's fierce where it needs to be, like my ability to grow when I'm scared and stand up for myself where it matters. It is brave and nuanced like my ability to adapt to unknown situations. It's an album that has the ability to soothe you and make you believe in yourself. It's for the dark hours and the celebratory ones. It's me. It's my being compressed into musical notes, tones and rhythms.
            My Chart

Comment

• 1990: Mariah Carey (the album) was my first Mariah CD. After falling in love with Vision Of Love, I just had to buy the album.

1991: Emotions came so soon after the debut (I was still playing the debut a lot) so I didn't even bought the Emotions CD on day one, but waited a few weeks. (The record store always had a gift week in October.)

1992: Unplugged. Couldn't believe we would get a "new" album so soon. Even sooner than Emotions followed the debut! I was sure the record store was mistaken when I saw their notice about the new album coming in June. But then I'll Be There was released and that made me realise there was a new album on the way. It was the first MC album I bought on day one.

1992: I bought the debut album by Trey Lorenz and it felt almost like a Mariah album. It deserved more success than it got. I was lucky to see Trey do some promo performances and even got him to sign the CD.

1993: Music Box was the first album here that didn't get such great reviews as her previous albums. Who would have thought it would become her biggest album?

1994: I was sooooooooooo happy with Merry Christmas. I love Christmas music. So adding a Christmas album to my collection by one of my favorite singers... was something I just couldn't believe. When Whitney and Madonna both did a song for A Very Special Christmas in 1987, I was hoping that one (or both) of them would release a Christmas album. But then Mariah beat them to it.

1995: In the 80s I had posters in my room of Culture Club, Wham!, Whitney, Madonna... but from 1986 onwards I only had Madonna posters on the wall. But when the record store gave me their huge Daydream promo poster, I just had to stick it to my wall. And so, after ten years, there was someone else on the wall with Madonna again.

1997: Since Unplugged I always bought Mariah's albums on day one. But when Butterfly was released and we went to Germany (we lived close to the border) and I saw the German release had a free butterfly sticker, I regretted I had already bought the CD. Of course I didn't buy the album again, but I did buy another CD and slipped a butterfly sticker inside... Can't believe Mariah turned me into a thief.

2005: The Emancipation of Mimi was the first Mariah album I didn't buy on day one (since Unplugged). I had ordered the Japanese edition (because of the bonus tracks) and hated how long I had to wait for it to arrive. Luckily a friend of mine who did buy the CD, recorded it on tape for me.

2018: Caution is the first Mariah album that I did buy on CD, but probably only played once. At the end of 2015 I finally started to stream and only buy the CD's to keep my collection complete.
              Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

• If It's Over a noisy mess? LMAO. The lack of taste, I can't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  Oh, and probably Divas Live '98 and also I just saw a UK edition with CTTA, Crybaby & Love Hangover/Heartbreaker Medley from Divas Live 2000. I'm getting that one as well I guess.
                  What?? Where??? I bought second hand copy of Divas live 98 on mercadolibre

Comment

• Originally posted by RayRay View Post
                    1990: Mariah Carey (the album) was my first Mariah CD. After falling in love with Vision Of Love, I just had to buy the album.

1991: Emotions came so soon after the debut (I was still playing the debut a lot) so I didn't even bought the Emotions CD on day one, but waited a few weeks. (The record store always had a gift week in October.)
                    I don't think it was so soon.
                    They were released 1 year and 3 months apart.
                    The thing is, the debut album was still huge around that time.
                    I mean, it became the best-selling album of 1991 in the US (her performance at the Grammy's that year really helped its chart run).

Comment

• Originally posted by ChristmasJedi View Post
                      What?? Where??? I bought second hand copy of Divas live 98 on mercadolibre
                      In mercadolibre as well
                      There's some rarities on there (by rarities I mean some old international editions and CD singles).

Comment

I mean, it became the best-selling album of 1991 in the US (her performance at the Grammy's that year really helped its chart run).
                        I meant it felt too soon for me personally. I didn't buy the first album on day one. I bought it in October 1990. So when Emotions was released in September 1991, there had just passed 11 months for me and I was still very much into the debut album. So I didn't mind to wait a few weeks till October to buy it during the "gift week" (a free CD with your purchase). It was the last time I could make myself wait for weeks to listen to new released Mariah songs.
                        Treated me kind, sweet destiny, carried me through desperation... Prayed through the nights, carried the weight on my own and now I know I've succeeded in finding the place I conceived... I had a Vision of Love

Comment

I meant it felt too soon for me personally. I didn't buy the first album on day one. I bought it in October 1990.
                          Oh, we must have bought the album around the same time, as I bought it just after LTT was released. For me, I was ready for the release of Emotions and like you, was surprised to have it so soon (basically, in terms of release timing, Emotions felt like it could have been the 5th single of the debut album). Before Mariah, I was used to having to wait 2-3 years between albums of my favourite artists. But with Mariah, I got greedy and started expecting a new album every 18 months MAX!!!

Comment

• I love this performance and I'd love to have this concert undubbed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Almond View Post

Oh, we must have bought the album around the same time, as I bought it just after LTT was released. For me, I was ready for the release of Emotions and like you, was surprised to have it so soon (basically, in terms of release timing, Emotions felt like it could have been the 5th single of the debut album). Before Mariah, I was used to having to wait 2-3 years between albums of my favourite artists. But with Mariah, I got greedy and started expecting a new album every 18 months MAX!!!
                              My favorite artist was Madonna who was very productive in the 80s, so I was lucky I guess.

Emotions, the single, felt almost like a 5th single of the debut to me as well. Especially as I was still waiting for Prisoner (or another song) to be released as the fifth single from the debut. Other big albums had five (or more) singles as well (True Blue, Control, Whitney Houston...) so I was very surprised they didn't release more singles.

Comment

If It's Over a noisy mess? LMAO. The lack of taste, I can't.
                                The nerve

Comment

2018: Caution is the first Mariah album that I did buy on CD, but probably only played once. At the end of 2015 I finally started to stream and only buy the CD's to keep my collection complete.
                                  same. I bought 6 copies of Caution tho (all on CD) because i wanted to make her chart higher lol. Also, the album was and is immaculate and career-defining.
                                  My Chart

Comment

the debut album was released in June 1990, but only exploded in spring of 1991. lol. what a beast. I love how Tommy chained her to the studio. I don't miss seeing her be on tour for 6-8 months every two years or so... she was producing album after album and paid off. Her 1990s streak was unmatched. 9 consecutive releases which sold amazingly well - every single one. Nobody has that to their credit... not in a 10 years timeframe.

And to bring her down, they actually needed to sabotage her. I know the rumour is that airplay dropped her after Daydream (in the US) which is partially true.. but not really... her songs still peaked in the top 15 and some even top 10.

If Glitter wasn't attached to the movie, it would have probably sold a good 5 million units or so.. which would have been an underperformance... and if we'd erase the sabotage by Tommy... it probably would have done better than Rainbow or just as much.

It is just so unfortunate that it happened to her. She needed to take the biggest years of the music industry (2001-2003) to re-build her career while those who were actually supported by their labels and corporation reeked in high sales.... bah.

When I think of 2005 I always have to think of that picture in which she is giving Tommy (and Thalia) her hand to greet them. It was her middle finger moment. Seeing the vile man today, is still fascinating to me, knowing that he threatened to slit her face /throat with a knife and how J.Lo's producer tweeted that that was a perfectly fine reaction of Tommy's to Mariah being bratty.

It's all so stupid. Also, the audacity for those creatures Walter / Tommy to come out every Xmas and demanding praise for AIW is also kind of devilish. Their right to any of her success was revoked the second they threatened and abused her.

I hope they are adaoting her memoirs to a tv series... because I want the world to see with their own eyes what she had to endure. And I wonder if they will still judge her so harshly afterwards.

My Chart

Comment

• Originally posted by stevyy View Post

same. I bought 6 copies of Caution tho (all on CD) because i wanted to make her chart higher lol.
                                      I never bought anything to make it chart higher. She has enough records to her name. I did buy some albums twice, but only because another edition had more tracks. Like Daydream, first I bought the European version, later the one with the Spanish version of Open Arms. I also bought two editions of Music Box (one with the Spanish version of Hero), Merry Christmas (Dual Disc), Charmbracelet (Tour edition), The Emancipation of Mimi.

Comment

• Originally posted by MariahLambNL View Post
                                        Hi Lambs

I'm new here, but I've been lurking for ages

I'm looking for the footage of Mariah her arrival when she came to promote My All in the netherlands (May 11th 1998). I can only find the inteview and performance can anybody help me to get the footage of her arrival?
                                        Welcome and sorry I don't have the info.
                                        Either your post got missed or no one knows ?
                                        MESMARIAHSING!

Comment

• I'm with Almond on this one.
                                          I don't use Emotions, bar the singles and some other track. And never been a fan of MIH to begin with.
                                          Just a DEVIANT, PERTURBED, DERANGED, MACABRE, MANIAC, LUNATIC, IRRATIONAL PSYCHO-TO-BE.

Comment

same. I bought 6 copies of Caution tho (all on CD) because i wanted to make her chart higher lol. Also, the album was and is immaculate and career-defining.
                                            I bought like 20 copies of Britney's "Glory". Most of them are still sealed. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I only bought one Mariah CD in a store and that was "#1 to Infinity" which was my first Mariah album and the one that introduced me to her. I think that might be the only album of hers that I've seen in a store besides "Merry Christmas" tbh. I bought "Caution" on Amazon. I consider myself a fan but those are the only two Mariah albums I own. I'm gonna buy all of them eventually though!
                                            Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Selena Gomez • Hilary Duff • Taylor Swift •

Comment

• I disagree with the whole lot of you regarding Emotions.

To me, it is her most soulful album where she is not trying to sing technically perfect but really singing from her gut. I dont know how to describe it. But it feels more raw to me. I told someone it’s her Blackest album. Maybe aside from Einstein or Memoirs (which has more urban flare lyrically)

I am here for the And You Dont Remember praise though.

I guess the one song that probably people would fight me about is The Wind. Lovely song but felt like it didnt really fit. It is a bit boring to me. I wish VOL was on Emotions instead of The Wind.
                                              See The Mariah Carey Discography Rate
                                              See The Report Card - Weekly Top Songs

Comment

• In no particular order, my favorite Mariah albums are Emotions, Butterfly, Charmbracelet, Emancipation, Memoirs, MCIIY, MIAMTEC & Rarities. They’re all equal in quality in my book

Comment

• We know that we're desperate for some news from Mariah when we start rating her albums again...
                                                  Reddit | r/MariahCarey: https://www.reddit.com/r/MariahCarey/
                                                  Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/leoinavalon
                                                  Instagram: https://instagram.com/leoavalon/

Comment

I bought 15 copies of 'Caution' you gotta do what you gotta do and most of them are still sealed

Comment

Working...
                                                    X